baby's tooth is a strange shape - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 09-17-2005, 01:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My son has 6 teeth. He has the front two on the top and bottom. And on the top he has the next two on either side of the front two. One of them is rather strange looking.

First, there's a split in the tooth, in the middle of the tooth, starting at the bottom and going up about 2 or 3 mm. So the bottom of the tooth looks like this _|_ with the vertical line being the little split. It came out that way, he didn't chip it or anything.

Also, the tooth is a strange shape. So, if you were to look at a normal tooth (the mate on the other side, for example) from the bottom of the tooth (imagine holding your baby upside down and looking straight down at the tooth) it looks like a little crescent. But my son's odd tooth looks like a 3-pointed star. It actually has a pointy part at the back of it.

Should I be concerned about this?

teapot2.GIF Homeschooling, Homesteading Mama to DD ('02) and DS ('04)  ribbonjigsaw.gif blogging.jpg homeschool.gif

#2 of 7 Old 09-17-2005, 02:07 PM

The only aspect I would be worried about is maybe not having enamel on it.

Some teeth can look funny with they erupt.
#3 of 7 Old 09-17-2005, 05:23 PM

Three possibilities are:

Fusion: the joining of two teeth next to each other to form a single, large tooth.

Gemination: an attempt of a single tooth to form two teeth (this is also called twinning)

Enamel defect: extra enamel formation that causes a mis-shapen tooth.

It will be hard to tell which one is affecting your son until the canine teeth erupt (between 12-24mo). If the canine is missing then it is fusion of the canine and lateral incisor. If the canine erupts on it's own, then the lateral incisor attempted to "twin".

There is no known cause for this but there is no treatment. The tooth will fall out eventually and be replaced by a permanent tooth.
#4 of 7 Old 09-17-2005, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChioMamaPT

Fusion: the joining of two teeth next to each other to form a single, large tooth.

There is no known cause for this but there is no treatment. The tooth will fall out eventually and be replaced by a permanent tooth.
My son has this kind of tooth. On the bottom he has his 2 middle teeth then 2 on the left (normal) then a jumbo size one in place where 2 would be. He is now 3 and all his teeth are in but he is one short because of the fusion (its actually the size of 2 teeth probably but looks like 1 tooth.) The dentist said its not "normal" but its no cause for concern, most likely 2 will come in its place when his permanent teeth come in.

Mom to 3 Married to geek.gif for 10 wonderful years luxlove.gif
13 af.gif 9 goodvibes.gifand 6coolshine.gif

#5 of 7 Old 09-18-2005, 12:40 AM - Thread Starter

thank you so much! that's actually kind of neat.

teapot2.GIF Homeschooling, Homesteading Mama to DD ('02) and DS ('04)  ribbonjigsaw.gif blogging.jpg homeschool.gif

#6 of 7 Old 09-29-2005, 01:53 AM
mum

Quote:
But my son's odd tooth looks like a 3-pointed star. It actually has a pointy part at the back of it.
This sounds like a tricuspid. My dd has them as does my dh.
#7 of 7 Old 09-29-2005, 09:00 PM

My son's bottom middle-right two teeth are fused, also.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page