Causes of Decay and Prevention - Page 4 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#91 of 104 Old 09-14-2002, 04:15 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi you're NOT the only one!!!!!!

Check out the archives (somewhere at the top of the dental entry screen) ~ there's a lot of threads on exactly this problem, including lots of support and info on what to do.

Don't blame yourself, and don't worry too much quite yet. There's not much chance that his permanent teeth will be affected yet, I think, and there are actually several child-friendly, non-traumatic options for helping him.

Good luck, and tell us what happens next.

simonee your self-appointed dental assistant
#92 of 104 Old 09-15-2002, 02:13 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Does anyone know what some causes of quick tooth decay are, aside from not brushing and too much candy and all the usual stuff?

I'm asking for me, although this could become a problem for dd someday (she's just now getting her 2nd tooth! ) because I hear it can be hereditary.

At the beginning of the year, I had a molar with no problems at all, and then 6 mo later there were large visible holes in it. And this is with regular dental care, brushing, etc. It had to be pulled. I have another molar with the same problem, although the dentist said it could be saved with root canal treatment. But just a few months ago, it didn't have problems.

I have been taking calcium supplements. I drink one or two cups of coffee a day; could this be bad for the teeth? I also have not had a regular teeth cleaning in several years; I decided to get all the major cavities taken care of first and I'm going to get the cleaning probably in a month. Maybe then the decay will stop.

What do you think? Is it some kind of nutritional problem, or is it hereditary?
#93 of 104 Old 09-15-2002, 02:56 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
I also have this. Curse of soda drinkers everywhere. I drink a ton of milk and have enver had any problem with my calcium intake and still get it. My dentist put me on a prescription toothpaste that had mondo flouride in it and that helped for a while - but ran out of insurance and toothpaste.
I was told I just have weak teeth..so does my dad.
Cleanings will help. Brushing with flouride toothpaste helps. Drinking anything that has sugar in it through a straw helps. Having water on hadn to rinse out your mouth after you drink anything helps.
I am dreading my next dentist visit....many many cavities to fill....ick.

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

#94 of 104 Old 09-15-2002, 03:30 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I don't drink much soda.

I have thought about extra fluoride. I can ask my dentist about prescription toothpaste. Once I was prescribed this mouthwash, and I forget what it was for, but I didn't use it because everyone I knew who used it developed brown teeth. It was listed as a side effect. Do those OTC mouthwashes help at all?
#95 of 104 Old 09-19-2002, 06:13 PM

I have been keeping a very close eye on my daughter's front teeth, where the white lesions were, to make sure they don't progress. They don't appear to. But I just decided to do a more thorough exam of her whole mouth, and am almost certain I have found two more cavities (in the very early stages) on the outside surface of her top molars, near the gumline. (The previous ones that were fixed on the molars were in the creases.)

I will have this checked out by the dentist, of course, to be sure. But if that is in fact the case, I just don't see how I can possibly wait until my daughter decides to stop night nursing. I have been brushing her teeth after every meal, twice a day with flouride, her diet is excellent, and night nursing seems to be the only remaining variable. I understand that night nursing does not CAUSE cavities, but given the extensive problems that my daughter has had, it seems irresponsible to continue.

Nightweaning is the last thing I would like to do, all things being equal, and if there is any science out there showing that it will not have an effect, in terms of continuing tooth decay issues, I would love to see it.

Thanks.
#96 of 104 Old 09-27-2002, 12:56 AM

Woo hoo, sozobe, just saw your update on the other thread, that's great that they're just demineralization!

I have every confidence that they will not be permitted to progress .... weaning or not.

Hurray!

#97 of 104 Old 10-11-2002, 10:57 PM

Willibug, I'm so sorry I haven't replied before now! It's probably all over and done with by now ... I hope it all went well!

I was archiving threads and was just about to send this one to the encyclopedia in the sky when I saw you had another question!

Of course you don't have to wean unless you're both ready! Check out "told to wean?" in the archives for more info. It's best, of course, to brush after nursing, but as a mom I know how impractical that can be, especially at 3 am!

You are so welcome, thank you for all your kind words. It makes my day! Especially tonight, when I'm spending so much time archiving, it's nice to know I'm doing some good!

#98 of 104 Old 10-11-2002, 11:51 PM

Thank you so much, gypsimama! Your reply is *exactly* why I'm spending so much time here -- I think it is so cool to hear when moms feel like they have some information to go with, and that it helps with the overwhelmed feeling, at least a little bit. I'm especially psyched when I hear how the dentists are amazed at their knowledge ...

Thank you for saying so, you made my day!

The essential oil rinse is in the archives under "mouthrinses", but it is the Dental Herb Company's Tooth and Gum Tonic. It is fantastic. The only drawback is that it is only available through a dentist's office. There might be more info on the gum disease thread, too. It kills bacteria and viruses, with no chemicals, no alcohol ... I love it!

Good luck to you, I hope all went well!
#99 of 104 Old 10-12-2002, 10:14 AM

Thanks again, Smilemomma! Yes, it's all done and over with now! All went really well. The dentist and hospital were wonderful--couldn't have been a better experience--considering! However, DS ended up having SIX fillings rather than the 3 or 4 we expected . And we did go ahead with the fluoride treatment while he was there. So, all's well, and baby is none the wiser about his ordeal ! And we are still nursing away, but I haven't been able to curtail his nighttime appetite. But I do brush as soon as he gets up, and I try to make it 3 times a day at least. And I plan to take him for his next checkup in 3 months time rather than 6 as I do with my other kids, at least until I feel a bit better about his oral health. I've decided to say no to the fluoride drops because, like you said, I know he swallows some of his fluoride toothpaste. One thing I haven't been able to do that the dentist recommends is swabbing on a little ACT rinse with a q-tip each night and then wiping it off. It's enough of a struggle just getting the brushing done. But maybe I should make more of an effort. What do you think? I'd like to try the tea-tree rinse for both DS and me, since we are now BOTH cavity-free(HOORAY!!!) I'll go look up that thread now.

Thanks again, Smilemomma!
#100 of 104 Old 10-13-2002, 01:09 AM

Hurray for you both!

Blessings!

#101 of 104 Old 01-09-2003, 03:52 AM

Hi! I have read the archives and found lots of great info on breastfeeding, cavities, etc. But I still have some questions if anyone can help, especially Smilemomma...when you get the chance!! I know you are extremely busy! I looked and looked but couldn't find info for a young baby (10 months) with cavities already supposedly caused by night breastfeeding *according to the dentist*

My best friend's son (I am asking for her since she doesn't really like the internet! ) is 10 months old. Got first tooth at 4 1/2 months and had 8 by 8 months old. The top ones came in and they chipped right away even though he doesn't eat hard things or much solids right now anyway (no juice either, no bottles, just BM). He then started getting brown spots on the top 4 teeth. The bottom 4 are fine. I did read about that bacteria and the mom does have some unfilled cavities (she is scared to go to the dentist...aren't we all!!! Ouch!)

She went to see a pediatric dentist who told her it was because she nurses him at night. Like I was surprised by that... She also said that the cavities were moderate to severe, that it looked like he had soft enamel. The cavities are actually on the inner side of the teeth not the outer. She also told her to that she won't do anything until he is at least a year old. And that she shouldn't use fluoride toothpaste for him.

She also told her to talk to her pediatrician about ways to stop cosleeping. ACK. Not surprising with her views on breastfeeding. He is only 10 months old for goodness sake.

Anyway, her questions are these:

1. Does what the dentist recommended seem appropriate? No fluoride and waiting till after a year? She also suggested wiping his teeth after BF and nightweaning him.

2. What can she do to help stop further decay? Any natural remedies for such a young baby? Should she brush with fluoride toothpaste? Homeopathic remedies for infant??

3. Why would a baby so young have this happen to him and could it be genetics? She was brushing his teeth but with no toothpaste or anything. His teeth chipped so soon after they came out and it is only the top teeth.

4. Is it common for such young babies to have this? Maybe since he teethed so young?

Thanks in advance. I really tried to look but everyone's baby seemed so much older than he is. I am glad to have all the info. My DD is 6 months old with no teeth yet so I am learning all I can to hopefully prevent them in her!)

mama2abby

APing, BFing, CDing, SAHM to my sweet little daughter Abby
#102 of 104 Old 01-15-2003, 12:56 AM

I wish I could answer your questions with anything resembling confidence, but all I have is a year experience reading this forum...

The dentist in question, like so many of them :, seems awfully quick in her judgment of breastfeeding. I'd take it with some huge chunks of salt... It sounds more like your friend's son has a combination of bad genes (mom with cavities), bad environment (mom's bacteria going in his mouth), and bad luck (very soft enamel indeed). She should read the Late summer 2002 Mothering Mag, which had lots of info on bf-ing and dental health, so she's armed with facts so to speak.

I also don't know why there is a magic 1-year boundary. Maybe smilemomma can help with that??? I can see that they want to wait till a child weighs a certain amount (for anesthesia purposes), but don't understand the age thing. Same with fluoride ~ smilemomma recommends a MINIMAL amount of Tom's of Maine, but I don't know if she says start when the baby reaches a certain weight, or a certain age, or whatever. Some mamas here have also recommended wiping the teeth with a wet cloth with a drop of (DILUTED!) tea tree oil or clove oil on it, which are excellent disinfectants.

Sounds like this baby is just very unlucky Your friend will probably have to start taking a very proactive approach to his dental care, so that it doesn't keep getting worse. She should also take care of her own teeth, because every time she kisses him or tests the temperature of his food with her mouth, her dental bacteria are transferred to him. (I know how she feels though. I had to deal with some major dentist fears to get my own teeth fixed up, so I'd stop giving my dd cavities).

BTW it may turn out that only these four teeth are bad, and that even the rest of his top teeth will be fine. Sometimes a virus or something during pregnancy can affect just those teeth that are formed at that moment (my dd has two bad ones and 18 pearly beauties), and there's a good chance that, once these four are fixed, he'll be just fine and dandy
#103 of 104 Old 01-16-2003, 01:30 AM

i have no great wisdom but i wanted to tell you the EXACT SAME THING!!! happened to my ds!

His first three teeth to come in, the two central upper incisors and the second upper right incisor, all had a yellowish-brownish line across them, and by 9-10 months they were starting to chip. He actually broke off the bottom of one by bumping it on a blanket! the rest of his teeth came in normally. We started brushing his teeth/gums after nursing but hadn't up until that point.

Here's where i have no advice, because the town we were living in had waaaaay too much demand for ped. dentists so it was literally a yearlong waiting list. The first dentist we went to said, "yep, you're right, the enamel is soft" and then "you should see a pediatric dentist" um, i THOUGHT that's what our appt was for LOL
They also were very negative about breastfeeding which i totally ignored since they couldn't even book our appointment properly

Just before we moved out of state when ds was 2, we saw this fabulous family dentist in a tiny neighboring town who said he'd seen quite a few similar cases and couldn't be sure what had caused it as i hadn't taken any medications during pregnancy (such as tetracycline). He was of the opinion that even if it is ever proven breastfeeding is detrimental to some children's teeth the benefits far outweigh the risk, and did not think that had played a part. We were expecting to be told at that time we'd need to pull the teeth, but since ds was not experiencing any pain when biting, did not have any discharge, gum inflammation, or pockets/looseness around the teeth, extraction was not indicated just yet. He did scale off the soft enamel since it was flaking off anyhow, and applied a flouride solution only to the three affected teeth. he did not recommend going overboard with flouride.

We did end up having the two central incisors pulled and the two on either side crowned as the three teeth were basically dead ~ the roots were pretty much gone by the time ds was 2.5 (his first xrays as the previous dentist didn't want to do rads at the first visit), and one had started to abscess. The pediatric dentist we saw here reassured us that genetics and the luck of the draw were factors more than anything else ~ how else to explain kids with kool-aid bottles and only a cavity?

OH MAN i am sorry about that longass story!! I wanted to let you know her babe is not the only one!! The point is that i agree with simonee completely, and all the rest of ds' teeth are fine (although he does have a propensity toward cavities if we so much as blink). NOTHING i could have done while nursing would have caused this extreme of soft enamel/decay! Everything i read at the time also seemed to indicate that the teeth were doomed from the start but it was a matter of waiting until they actually were diseased enough to pull, or waiting for the adults to come in (his adult teeth on x-rays are perfectly normal by the way, even though they were sitting in bacteria from the abscessed tooth!)

I hope you haven't gone blind!
Good luck, i hope you find a more understanding and holistic dentist!! It's really too bad there aren't smilemomma clones! Send one to minnesota asap!
#104 of 104 Old 01-16-2003, 01:33 AM

if i ever use proper grammar through an entire post on this board i think i will faint dead away. it's all i can do to type caps!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page