Mercury/Amalgam Fillings - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 93 Old 04-23-2002, 03:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I wish I never had a cavity in my life, but unfortunatly I have lots. I have heard that getting them removed is a very toxic thing to do to your body but it may help. If you do it during a time in your life that seems the safest ( not pregnant, nusing, or planning on getting preggers) there are technigues, diets and homeopathic remedies you can take to help get rid of toxins in your body. If I had the money I would get it done. I wish I would have known more information earlier, but now I can at least make better decisions for my children, even if the dentist keeps insisting that it's "safe", I know better.
#62 of 93 Old 04-23-2002, 05:03 PM

The dentist that removed all my mercury fillings, used a "rubber dam" along with the suction, so I wouldn't swallow any of the substance being removed. Amalgam fillings break down and leak the mercury, so that it does get into our systems...the fillings don't remain "as a solid" substance. That's why decay gets under the older ones we have in our mouths.
sassysu3
#63 of 93 Old 04-30-2002, 05:36 PM

Well, I just recently discovered, via this site, that mercury fillings are not considered safe. Anyhow, I read this article today and thought I would share it. Apparently word is starting to "leak" out!

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...ury_dentists_1

I found it rather interesting.
#64 of 93 Old 05-03-2002, 03:46 PM

I'm going to have some extensive work done (I'm not pg BTW) and I'm going to have several teeth filled & crowned, along with a wonderful root canal
I'm not going to get the silver fillings since I've learned about the risk of mercury poisoning. I BF my dd and plan to get pg w/in the next year.
Now I worried about the ones I already have, I've read all the past posts about the risks could be greater to get them replaced then contained, what's your input?? I would really like to get them out of my mouth!
I also have had a bad metal taste in my mouth last week and a green spot on my tongue. My dentist said it could be a leaky filling or a tooth infection. That really scares me!
Sorry for the lengthy ?'s
Thanks for any help!!!
#65 of 93 Old 05-08-2002, 01:13 PM

after coming across something on the internet about mercury and amalgam fillings, i decided to try to find a dentist in my area.

after talking to this dentist, i am really frightened. he seems to think i should have them removed and referred me to a doc, whom he thinks i should talk to first. i have about 11 silver (mercury) fillings and i'm really scared about what damage may have already been done. not only to me, but to my children, as they were exposed to it in the whom, and i am nursing my 2 month old and 17 month old. we do not use birth control and i will probably be pregnant again in a few months.. and i'm scared of the mercury i'll be exposed to when they are removed, and thus pass on through breastmilk, and waiting until breastfeeding is done is not an option, because i will prob be pregnant by then. and discontinuing breastfeeding is not something i want to do. i am really freaked and scared.

mel
#66 of 93 Old 05-08-2002, 05:27 PM

No advice but now I am a little scared.
?How do you know what kind of fillings you have?

-BelovedBird

Mom of 5 boys- 13, 10, 8, 2 : and newbie Aug. 24th, '09 . babywearing advocate . Cook, baker, homemaker, wife to a man with another woman's kidney (live altruistic, unknown donor).
#67 of 93 Old 05-08-2002, 05:40 PM

If you are going to get it done, this may be the best time for you. I am in the same boat - still have 9 of 11 amalgams and I'm nursing my 2 year old and may also be pregnant in a few months. Only, I can't afford to fix those now anyway. I had one done in an emergency last fall. There are precautions that can be taken (my dentist uses some type of dental dam and oxygen to reduce the amount of mercury breathed back in). You can do vit. C IVs before to boost immune system. And, there are homeopathic remedies to help remove mercury from your body - called something like "mercurium" - contact a homeopathic doctor and I'm sure you'll get some suggestions. I hope this brings some relief.
#68 of 93 Old 05-09-2002, 09:57 AM

akamom--

are you not concerned about the mercury that may be released into your body during the removal? there are precautions you can take but none of them are fool-proof. thats one reason i wanted to wait until i stopped nursing. but if your child is a little older then maybe he can go for a while not nursing (easier said than done probably, just an idea). also, i am afraid of takingany supplements to remove the mercury from my body because that will probably raise the amount of mercury in my bloodstream (and then milk) atleast for a temporary time. i would rather get them removed first. i read somewhere that you should wait atleast a year after amalgam removal to get pregnant. why did you have one done in emergency?

beloved-- i'm sorry to scare you. amalgam fillings are the "silver" fillings-- you should be able to look in your mouth and see them.

mel
#69 of 93 Old 05-15-2002, 10:55 PM

Dentists are more likely to suffer memory and kidney problems that could be due to long-term exposure to mercury in tooth fillings.

A study of 180 dentists by researchers at the ******* Royal Infirmary in Scotland found the dentists had up to four times the normal level of mercury in their urine and nails and had more kidney disorders and memory lapses than the general public.

The researchers found several differences in the health and cognitive functioning between dentists and the control group.

Remainder at
http://www.mercola.com/2002/may/15/mercury_fillings.htm
#70 of 93 Old 05-17-2002, 02:00 AM

That doesn't surprise me.

My FIL came down with Parkinson's fairly early in his life and was a dentist. My MIL really thinks it was all the chemicals he was exposed to as a dentist. This was back in the 60's -80's so the situation was probably even worse then in terms of awareness.
#71 of 93 Old 05-17-2002, 02:26 AM

Yeah, as much as I'm concerned about my own health regarding the mercury in my mouth, one of my first questions to the biological dentist was what precautions were in place for his own safety. You know something that is poisonous for us to be sporting around in our mouths ain't no good for those who work with it either.

At least this is one time where those denying the harm of a particular substance or practice are harming their own selves as well.
#72 of 93 Old 05-17-2002, 09:29 PM

I had an old filling crack and then partially fall out (amalgam). It had to be replaced right away. The vit.C (and I am no expert, but this is how I understand it) would not raise the amount of mercury in your bloodstream. It is to strengthen your immune system so that it can better deal with getting any mercury out if you have some of the fillings removed. Not sure how the homeopathics work - you'd need to consult a homeopathic practitioner about that one.

It is probably better to do the removal when you are not nursing at all, but it sound like that could be a good long time for you. I nurse dd less and less now, but I doubt she'll be weaning anytime soon. I just thought that if you are very worried about the effects of having the amalgams in, it might be better to get them out before you are pregnant again. I just re-read your post though and realized you are already nursing two. Maybe you should just wait till you are not nursing or pregnant.

I am more concerned about the effects that vaccines I had as a child may have affected me, than what is in my teeth now. And, it comforts me to know that my dd will not be getting it via vaccines (not yet, at any rate - I'm hoping that they stop using it by the time she might need a polio shot - we may travel and that is one I'll probably allow).
#73 of 93 Old 05-17-2002, 11:37 PM

Not only that, but I have no choice but to work with it!

I haven't used it myself for years, but nearly every tooth I work on, I'm doing something with it because of a corroding amalgam. So I'm breathing that crap every day, and it's not going to get any better within the next 40 years or so. I take precautions, but it's still out there.

Ugh. No wonder I suffer from CRS ... or maybe it's 18 month old twins?!
#74 of 93 Old 05-29-2002, 04:56 PM

There is something in the news on this website now about how 60,000 kids a year have neuro development problems as a result of prenatal mercury exposure------- amalgam fillings being one of the causes!!!! GREAT!! another thing for me to worry about!!

how the heck am i supposed to be able to tell if my 3 month old was affected??
#75 of 93 Old 06-06-2002, 10:48 PM

DENTIST THE MENACE?

Exposé on mercury use shows dentists among largest sources of mercury pollution; American Dental Association obstructs protection efforts

Washington, DC – A first-of-its-kind comprehensive report that looks at the environmental impacts of the dental industry's use of mercury is being released June 5 by the Mercury Policy Project and Health Care Without Harm. Among other significant findings, the report reveals that dentists are now the third largest users of mercury in the U.S. and are the single largest polluter of mercury to the nation’s wastewater treatment plants.

For remainder:
http://www.noharm.org/library/docs/D..._use_shows.htm
#76 of 93 Old 06-12-2002, 04:11 PM

I feel there is danger in mercury fillings and I refuse them for my children at the dentist. We have a new dentist and he talked me into them for myself, but I wouldn't budge when he was trying to talk me into them for my daughter. My mouth is already full of the stuff, but she hasn't had one yet. All of her fillings (she's had a lot) were filled with the white stuff. My insurance doesn't cover it, but it's worth the extra money to me.

What do you all do? How do you deal with a dentist that won't leave you alone about not using what they want you to use?
#77 of 93 Old 06-13-2002, 10:44 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I haven't had to deal with that yet. I just went to the dentist today for the first time in years and I had a root canal. Well, the first part of one. I noticed there was a sign advertising that he could remove the mercury amalgam or whatever those fillings are called, and replace them with the teeth colored kind/composites, or whatever they are called. But then he gave me a filling and it is the silvery kind.
#78 of 93 Old 09-30-2002, 06:58 AM

This question is for Smilemomma, or anyone who might know something about this.
I had an eating disorder and it really ruined my teeth, so I went to Tufts Dental school in Boston and the students talked me into putting mercury amalgam fillings. I have 8 or nine of them. What was I thinking?! I did question them about the dangers but they brought all kinds of info and had their professors talk to me and they finally talked me into it (mainly because I had no money and also because they said mercury fillings are longer lasting)
Anyway, do you think the fillings could have caused/be causing damage to me and my baby daughter (I had the fillings done a bit before she was conceived), since she has been breastfed for 15 mo? And do you think I should try and get rid of the fillings as soon as I can possibly afford it? I am really worried about this whole thing with mercury, since I heard that in some countries in Europe amalgams are even illegal!
Thanks in advance for your time. From reading your replies I can tell you are a wonderful dentist and mom!
Zivile (age 28), mom of Emily (7/7/01)
#79 of 93 Old 11-12-2002, 11:38 AM

I have a mouthful of fillings thanks to my "mother" not caring if I ever brushed my teeth or not. I'm 35 and the fillings that I have were put in when I was 12, back in 1980. They are all silver colored. Anyway, my very back tooth, I can taste this "silver metal" coming from this filling. Am I tasting something that is poisioning my system? The tooth is fine that I can see?

Thank you!
#80 of 93 Old 11-12-2002, 02:09 PM

I may be way off but Iget that taste from infections, but SmileMama will let you know if that's the deal.

BTW, I used to "fake" brushing as a child. Never had a cavity. Once I started brushing daily at around 11 or 12 I guess my teeth went into shcok and I started getting cavities, etc. So you never know!!!!!!!!!!
#81 of 93 Old 11-13-2002, 07:52 AM

I don't know, but I just wanted to tell you that Amanda is such a cutie!!!!

I could only find one pic of you, though... and you're wearing the funny graduation hat I think it's a common "problem" with us moms: we post pics of our little ones, but as viewers we're also really interested in what the mamas look like! (hint.. hint...)

If i had that taste, I'd probably assume the filling was deteriorating, and I'd try to get to a dentist. But first, I'd wait to see what smilemomma had to say about it

So, tell us what happens, so your question can be archived and then we all know in the future!
#82 of 93 Old 11-13-2002, 12:25 PM

simonee thank you! There are actually no pictures of me with Amanda posted online. I'm having big time self image issues right now, I gained 85lbs during pregnancy, and only lost 20lbs or so in 2years, I have almost 100lbs to loose. I'm fat, I hate looking at myself. I sometimes think that if I died tomorrow, there would be no pictures of me and amanda! How would she feel if she grew up with no pictures of me?

The picture at graduation is my sister in law.

I do have a small picture of me back in my previous life, it was taken 4 years ago. It's at http://kim.mimicvii.com . It's like how I like to remember myself
#83 of 93 Old 11-13-2002, 04:45 PM

Thanks.
She looks like you, it seems. How can you look back if such a cutie looks like you?
#84 of 93 Old 12-31-2002, 05:07 AM

Hi Amanda'sMom! Does she still have her gorgeous smile?!! I sympathize with the weight issue, I've got like 50 pounds, which seems hopeless, so I guess I'll have another chocolate Santa ... . My friend and I were talking, though, and we decided that if it was our *priority* to be slim, we would be. Honestly, if that was my priority in life, as it once was, I'd be at the gym all the time. However, at this point in my life, my priority is my children, and that's okay. It's a very, very small point in my life. I see pictures of me and have to think, "hey, that fat chick has the same dress as me!" Then . But you know, I believe there will be a day when my children won't even notice if I'm gone for an hour or two, and I will see those pictures and think, "oh, yeah, that was when I was mothering small children" and it will be just another thing, like my Farrah bangs were. Just don't say "what are Farrah bangs?" 'cause that will be a whole 'nother issue!

#85 of 93 Old 01-15-2003, 08:03 PM

I just got the last of the silver (mercury) fillings out of my teeth today!!

I am so happy it is done and behind me!!

If anyone else is considering it, it was not nearly as bad as I expected~ and I had a lot!
#86 of 93 Old 01-15-2003, 09:04 PM

Perfectlove....

Please enlighten an unenlightened person about the silver fillings. sigh... i have 1 in my mouth now. :
#87 of 93 Old 01-16-2003, 12:54 AM

Only one! I think I had eleven!! (I am a fanatic my about tooth care, I can only blame genetics and not being breastfed!)

I actually am not a huge expert on all the details, but from I do know~ the "silver" fillings are usually about 50% mecury that is released into your system when you eat. It accumulates in your body and has been linked to a host of health problems, like multiple scerosis, depression, etc.

The reason they started using silver filings is because they were (guess what!) cheaper than gold, so it was about the bottom line and not our health and safety.

Someone else said here once~ Mercury is a toxic posion before they put it in, and when they take it out, but when it's in your body it's "perfectly safe!" Uh-huh.

I have heard that members of the ADA are officially not allowed to discuss the dangers associated with mercury. But my dentist (who did the replacements) said he would not put them in his children's mouths, so he would not put them in anyone else'e either.

If anyone has more or better information on this, please feel free to chime in!
#88 of 93 Old 01-16-2003, 01:20 AM

Does insurance cover removal or did you have to pay out of pocket? What is involved in removal? I have 9 that I'd like to have removed and I'd like to know all I can about your experience....
#89 of 93 Old 01-16-2003, 03:37 AM

Unfortunately, I do not have any dental insurance right now. But I have heard that ins. will pay for it, but only up to what the silver fillings would have cost, and you have to pay the extra for the white. Without ins, it cost us about $1200. It was a whole lot of money for us, but it was also very important.

It is really very similar to getting a cavity filled. Go in, get shot, drill, fill, done. It was not really painful at all! The differences are~ since it is a poison, they put a dental dam in my mouth to make sure they got it all out and I didn't swallow any. And I am on a dental cleanse that I got at an herb store, to remove the mercury from my body. No big deal~ just a few pills twice a day.

I would just recommend finding a good dentist who understands what he is doing and why. Hope this helps!
#90 of 93 Old 01-20-2003, 04:30 AM

PerfectLove,
I just finished getting my silver fillings removed last week, too! I only had seven, so it wasn't bad.

Amandasmom,
Insurance will cover the procedure as though you are having a cavity filled. They will not know that you are really having a filling replaced. I thought they might get suspicious since I had five done at appointments exactly three weeks apart, but I guess they just think I had five cavities.

Tags
Health Healing , Natural Dental Care

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page