Hospitalization/General Anesthesia - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-26-2002, 01:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just wanted to say that I agree with what the others have posted; general anesthesia is safer today than ever before, but there ARE still risks. You can find out a little about these by doing an internet search with the words "anesthesia" and "risks" or "death."

Have you considered getting a second opinion? I'm not sure what a skin tag is, but I am wondering if it can't be done under sedation with local anesthetic? Or if it can wait until he is a little older and more likely to hold still, could it be done with a local?

I remember when my son Sam went under general anesthesia for his surgery (severe reflux) when he was 3 weeks old; I was so stressed and worried! My only consolation was that we were at a children's hospital and I knew they were experienced with working with babies and that they had specialized equipment.

gauge14iv, is your son's frenulum clipping particularly tricky, or unusual in some way? I've known a couple babies who had this done and they just gave them a local.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2002, 03:31 PM

His frenulum is VERY attached and they will need to do sort of a Z shaped incision. DS is 8 mos old, if he had it done at a few weeks or younger, they would have done it under local. I have had 2 ent's who have refused to do it without general so I'm guessing it's a little more involved than most.
Old 05-27-2002, 01:10 AM

Wow...that must be so frustrating knowing it could have been so much easier when he was younger! Or did you choose to wait at that point and see if it would stretch? I'm sure it's been a tough decision, either way. I hope all goes well for him!
Old 05-27-2002, 01:18 AM

well I just sort of cowed to the pedi - who thought it would stretch - most do. But I should have known - afterall, DH and many members of his family are tongue tied and most of them have had to have it snipped, if they didn't they should have. I shoulda just had it done, but I didn't really know what I know now...

Yes, it's frustrating but all we can do now is deal with what's at hand - the poor little guy - I know DH and I both are gonna be crying LOL
Old 05-28-2002, 02:06 AM

Oh! (((hugs))) I remember when they took my son for his surgery; I literally CLUNG to my husband and BAWLED. I was so scared and worried! Life just really sucks sometimes that we have to watch our babies go through these things.
Old 05-29-2002, 03:57 PM

Well Daniel had his tongue done this morning, and I am pleased to report he seems just fine! He is crawling around the house and getting into things as usual and nursing like he always has! No ill effects apparent! Daddy cried more than the rest of us put together LOL

Old 05-30-2002, 03:03 AM

Hello! We've been traveling the past few weeks and I have been dying to get to a computer to ask this question!
My ds, 18 mo, goes in this Tuesday for a pulpectomy, two crowns and a filling and four sealants. He is going to be sedated. Needless to say, we're totally freaked out, but we really like our dentist and know this needs to be done.
My big question is: we were told NO bf 10 hours before the procedure and 10 hours after the procedure. What are people's thoughts on this? I'm especially interested in hearing Smilemomma's opinion, of course, because I want to know the medical reasons for this. I have recieved conflicting info--no food before, because this could make them vomit with the drugs, but that breastmilk doesn't cause this, that after the procedure breastfeeding might cause them to "suck" off the new work, but some say breastfeeding won't do this because of the sucking mechanism.
I don't know what to think! But I do want to breastfeed my sweet boy as much and as often as I can!
Thanks so much, everyone for your continued support.
Old 05-30-2002, 03:24 AM

Congratulations Michele, on having it over with and everything's fine! It must be a good feeling.

Debbiemom, you're right, the doc did say we could wait until he is fourteen or fifteen and have it done with a local. However, my dh and father are worried that ds will get made fun of by other kids. A skin tag is just an extra piece of skin that sticks out. His is about the size of the tip of his pinky finger. So removing it would be only for cosmetic reasons.

I hadn't thought before about how traumatic it might be for me to see him unconscious. Just thinking about it makes my stomach go in knots. But I also am thinking that if I wait until he's older, say four, five six it might be more traumatic for him. Well I've decided to do nothing for now and just think about it some more.

Thanks everyone for your responses!
Old 05-30-2002, 03:42 AM

Well... i would say breastfeeding before is absolutely fine. For one.. when I had a LLL leader discuss time between nursings.. she told me a study was done where they used b/m in stomachs and the longest it was in the tummy was 90 minutes.. that is how absorbable it is. So odds are your son won't have any in his tummy. Secondly.. how will he suck off dental work? they use adhesives and polymers.. the machine they use to set the sealant will do that trick... i don't forsee anything loosening the work because ten hours is a long time.. if eating won't make it come off neither will nursing..
Old 05-30-2002, 10:03 AM

Oh, I know what you mean...my dh has some of those, luckily none on his face, though. Does he need the general anesthesia because his is larger than usual? My husband was told they could laser his off with just a local. Of course, he is older and can hold still, too.

I understand being worried about him being teased. No one wants to see their child suffer from the agony of being socially outcast! My oldest son is a little behind in his speech development and sometimes other children tease him about it. As much as that just kills me and makes me SO angry, I am always surprised by the fact that those children are the minority. Most children are actually better adults in accepting him for who he is.

Something else that you might find reassuring; I am currently reading a book called "Real Boys" by William Pollack, Ph.D. and in a section about bullies, he says "...a key attribute of the victim is a lack of self-esteem--rather than characteristics such as race, size, physical appearance, clothing, or eyeglasses." I really felt relieved to read that because it made me feel like there was something I could do for my kids to help them.

I know this must be a tough decision for you! (((hugs))) Just keep informing yourself as much as possible and follow your heart.
Old 05-30-2002, 05:34 PM

my dd 17 mo old just had lots of work done i didnt nurse her before but did right after she woke from the meds and she was great she calmed right down. My dentist said she could have water before the surgery but no breast milk i would nurse after wards if you want to and the baby wants it
Old 05-30-2002, 05:53 PM

Smilemomma addresses this somewhere, but she said that it is find to nurse 2 hours before, and right after since nursing does NOT involve suction.
Old 05-30-2002, 10:00 PM

THANK YOU! THANK YOU! This is just what I wanted to hear. I *knew* that the ten hour before and after thing was fishy--y'all just confirmed what I knew in my heart to be true.
Old 05-30-2002, 11:17 PM

You're right! Thanks, AmandasMom!

Outlawmama, look in the archives under General Anesthesia; there's a post there that discusses how to care for your child after the procedure (nursing is a major player here, as we all know!) and just in time, how to prepare him (and you) for the procedure, homeopathics, herbs, oils, how soon before you can nurse, etc.

Good luck to you! Let us know how he does, I'll be thinking of you on Tuesday!
Old 05-31-2002, 08:06 AM

Well, we did it. DD, 3 in a few more months, got her tooth fixed. Smilemomma, do you remember the story? Started with a few pits in teeth D and G, then I saw that the back of one of them was gone (I even asked for your daughter's extra copy LOL), and then the Versed-laced procedure was planned.

At the first appt, a month ago, we were sent back because I stupidly admitted she'd had BM 2 hours earlier ~ though water and clear liquids including 7Up were allowed, I was placed right along with the cows and other cattle in the dairy category, which had a 4-hour cutoff.

Today, we went back, and this time I didn't admit anything . She got the Versed ~ after 10 minutes, she leans back, says "I feel goooood" and smiles a junkie smile. That's going to bode well for the future ~ both DH and I have done our share of drugs, and it looks like she's inherited the gene. Ouch. And I don't think the essential oils really contributed to her ecstasy

She was okay for the first minute or so, the rest of the 15-min procedure gradually got worse and climaxed into a veritable screamfest. The dentist was very nice and gentle, but a little too no-nonsense for my taste, tho DH thought that his "get it over with as quickly as possible" was appropriate. I would rather have inserted a few brief breaks, especially since the xylocaine shot got her upset but she was fine as a piggy in poop as soon as it was done (there was a short wait after that). Anyway, the "bee machine" went reasonably well, but the air thingy, the water spray, getting ickies in her throat, trying all the equipment out first on her hand even though she indicated that she didn't like that, and the UV light to set the new tooth with were a bit more than she'd bargained for.

Luckily, she didn't need a pulpotomy. And the "gone" part on the back was pretty shallow. And they respected our wish for no papoose board, even though it took all four of us (dentist, assistant, DH and me) to hold her down. And I only cried a little bit.

About 4 hours later, she still remembered the shot and the irritating water spray on her hand, and the general fuss, but she says nothing hurt (though the shot did) and "it was fun" and "we go there again sometime." And she thought it was just her and the dentist, and nobody held her down, and the "patient medicine" made her very patient indeed with her mouth wide open (sans the little open-holder jack, of course) for a looooong time. I love her.

He removed the dent on the front (enamel only, I think), most of the back in an inverted U-shape with the very sides and top still there, and about 1/4 of the bottom of the tooth, and replaced it all with a composite (I think) cap. It looks lovely. Now my question (yep, simonee always writes 59826592 paragraphs before getting to the question): how strong is this cap? The dentist said that it would be strong enough to bite through an apple, but will it hold up to a carrot? Or (:embarrassed: ) to a lollipop? Do we need to change chomp-down habits?

BTW thanks so much, smilemomma, for archiving this board. It works very well ~ all the wealth of info on this board is even more accessible now, and I truly felt like I knew what was going on in that office. You're doing an incredible job enlightening all us mystified mamas about the obscure field of dentistry! I've even told grownup friends about this board, because it's such a nonthreatening, honest place to learn more about what one can expect to get for the $$ spent in the dental office.
Old 05-31-2002, 05:25 PM

My baby had dental work done under general anesthetic 1 week ago. Although i am very pleased with how great her teeth look she is not the same. We come home she slept for 2 hours and was great i really thought she felt better she took another nap and woke up a different kid shw wont go to her dad she lays on the floor screaming and flapping her hands she sits in corner with head down like she is depressed. She is NOT the same kid. something changed her. I am so worried was it the meds or is it the stuff they used on her teeth. I know the stainless crown they used has nickel in it which can be highly toxic. Any thoughts any one. Oh and during these fits she cant be consoled at all she use to be a real daddys girl now he cant even touch her and she barely will come to me and Oh she stopped eating also.
Old 05-31-2002, 05:55 PM

How old is she? Her behavior is troubling, but I don't know much.

Homebirth Midwife biggrinbounce.gif

After 4 m/c, our stillheart.gif is here!

Old 06-01-2002, 06:00 AM

yey simonetta, so glad thats done!
You did great and so did Audrey, too bad the dentist didnt share some of that groovy stuff with you too
You must feel so relaxed now, enjoy mamacita! congratulations!!!!
abrazos a usted senora!
Old 06-01-2002, 10:51 AM

She is only 17 mo old and the thing that gets me is my instinct told me NOT to do the work but i wanted her teeth fixed int he same breath you know

Now i feel i ruined my sweet baby.
Old 06-01-2002, 11:11 AM

Let me start by saying that anesthesia can sometimes take days or longer to completely clear the system. In addition, the level of sleep induced can throw a person out of whack for quite some time. She WILL recover, but she will just need additional support and comfort, and all the fluids she can drink!
Old 06-01-2002, 12:07 PM

I have heard acupuncture can help clear the afteraffects of anasthesia...it generally wears off me pretty quickly so I didn't notice the effect...
Old 06-02-2002, 08:17 PM

Michele, I'm so glad all went well and most importantly, is BEHIND you now! They bounce back faster than we do, I think. In the archives I tell the story of when my dd had minor eye surgery of about 5 minutes duration. I about gave myself a stroke, and had to go to bed when we got home! DD was bouncing all around, happy as a little clam! I'm happy Daniel's fine, and LOL on Dad!

Snugglemama and Michele, I apologize for not getting here soon enough to answer! There is quite a long thread in the archives about general anesthesia, I was hoping maybe that would help!
There's also a thread that may still be on here where I am asking for advice about my own little smoochie, so it's never clear cut.

I'm with you and waiting on the skin tag. He may be the one telling YOU he wants it off, you never know. Or he might like it! Non-health related things are really up to the owner of the afflicted part, imo.

What a great, supportive thread! Yay mamas!

Debbiemom, thanks for the tip on the book, I will get it! I want to empower my boy, but not make him an aggressive, my-own-way kid, either.
Old 06-02-2002, 08:34 PM

Thanks, Debbie and Smilemomma, for your support. That book sounds interesting, Debbie, I think I'll check it out. Not reading anything right now, and was looking for something different to read. And to answer the question about the size of the skin tag, the doctor said it is larger than many and would require a couple stitches.

Smilemomma, that's an interesting perspective, that he might not even mind it. And when I think about it my first reaction is that I don't want it removed because it is part of who he is, and I like him just the way he came out at birth. I guess I am sentimental about his body parts! When my family members all thought it should be removed before school age, I guess I thought if they all thought that way they must be right. I'm going to hold off and consider it for a while longer, though. Thanks for your insight!
Old 06-02-2002, 09:28 PM

Oh, hurray, hurray! Yay, simonee, and Audrey, too!

Wow, it sounds like she did just great! "we go there again sometime"; how cute! It's wonderful that she's all set now, AND with no lingering dental fears. AWESOME! Woo hoo for you, mama! I'm so happy there wasn't as much as you thought.

And you're so welcome on the archive thing. I'm glad it's working so well! It's easier for everyone to find stuff, AND I don't answer the same thing 25 times! Win-win! It's so much more calming, no matter what you're going through (think back to childbirth, can you imagine our poor grandmothers, who knew nothing?), to at least know what to expect, and that's why I'm here!

Old 06-04-2002, 11:48 AM

Did she agree to have the work done?

She could be feeling violated and well pissed off!

a

The anti-Ezzo king
Old 06-04-2002, 01:03 PM

Chevy974, how is your baby now? Has she gotten better?

You mentioned that she is hand-flapping. What exactly do you mean? Can you describe that a little better?
Old 06-04-2002, 01:24 PM

Chevy, I'm so sorry you and she are going through this ((HUGS)). Is she feeling better yet? I hope she is.

I wonder if the reason she was acting that way was because she was in pain? From your post it seems like she had a root canal? I had one of those about a year or so ago. I was in so much pain still the next day the dentist ended up pulling my tooth. The problem was that it was infected and was a little swollen. So when they did the root canal it closed up the area that the sweeling had to go. Which left lots of pressure and pain.

I don't know if that could be her problem, but thought I would share just incase. I hope she is better and my post was not needed.
Old 06-04-2002, 03:17 PM

she is some what better hand flapping i mean standing and flapping her hand really fast alot of autistic kids do it. She didnt have a root canal. 2 pulpotomies 1 stainless crown. My homeopath thinks it is a reation to the anestetic. Those drugs sometimes will effect the central nervous system I really dont know what to think. I will say this she is by far NOT the same. She didnt consent to the work she is only 17 mo old but she wsnt happy when they come to take her from us so yes she may be pissed but she goes and sits in the corner with head down like she is depressed. I called the dentist and he has NO idea said he never seen this happen before. UGGH i just dont know:
Old 06-05-2002, 02:40 AM

You must be getting so worried about her! Did the homeopath say anything about whether this reaction will have long-lasting effects?

I asked about the hand-flapping because my oldest son does it & he's most likely high-functioning autistic (we've yet to pursue a definite diagnosis) and I wondered if it was similar to autistic hand-flapping. Have you done much reading about autism? I know there are a lot of theories out there about the different causes, but I've never read about an anesthesia trigger. Have you considered taking her to see a neurologist?

Have you been able to find any information online about this type of reaction to anesthesia? Is it possible it's not the anesthetic but something else used during the procedure? I've also read about the preservatives used in anesthesia sometimes causing allergic reactions, maybe this is something similar?

(((hugs))) I hope you get some helpful answers soon, from someone.
Old 06-05-2002, 04:19 AM

Thanks for your sweet responses, ladies.

You get to see the tooth soon, Frankenstein's bride
I bet it looks better than yours, or mine (I had the tooth from hell pulled today and got a big hole now)
I love your new signature! Give them watermelon when they start yelling!

Smilemomma, about your extra #D: One word ~ EBay

The good thing is, she always wants to brush her "tooth that the kid dentist fixed." That's a couple of long arguments a day less!

Tags
Health Healing , Natural Dental Care
User Tag List