Hospitalization/General Anesthesia - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#181 of 195 Old 01-02-2003, 06:09 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
hehehe, yes, sad isn't it!! What better way to spend a New Years Eve than to read about other people's teeth!!! That was about the most exciting part of my celebrations, it has to be said. DH went to bed at 8.30 with DS so that was me!! Anyway, I'm glad Orion (beautiful name) is feeling a little better now.
#182 of 195 Old 01-02-2003, 01:14 PM

Hey, SDMummy- having an evening to yourself is nothing to sneeze at! Now I'm kinda jealous.
#183 of 195 Old 01-03-2003, 02:41 PM

Hey Lory I am perusing the dental forum and read your post.... I am so sorry Your ds had to go through that. Who was your dentist so I know to steer clear of them ?? I have heard Hayden Family Dentistry opts for pappoose board/ no parents in room !

I am really trying to maintan healthy teeth for dd so she doesn't have to go through this ! My friend had a very hard time finding a gentle dentist who would work on a toddler (even a fairly cooperative toddler). They wound up having GS with DR Jay V. (can't remember full name) of WIllamette Dental. Because of the GA the procedure itself was done at the hospital.

For more dental fun see my TAO tread about my broken tooth

Why can't teeth be invinceable ?
#184 of 195 Old 01-03-2003, 04:02 PM

Oceanmommy- I've heard nothing but horror stories about Hayden family group, including accounts of astonishing cruelty and incompetance. They're about the only group in Eugene, I think, who still work with the Or Health Plan and they treat people like cattle.

I really like the office we go to- our primary pediatric dentist is Dr. Grizzell and she is truly awesome. She's totally willing to work patiently with little ones and understands the need for the parent to be present and to patiently coax things along. She has a very non-panic approach. Her partner Dr. Ford is who worked on Orion and he is also very patient, prefers NOT to use papoose boards, etc. I think they're both very good- I personally prefer Dr. Grizzell's communication style. Most of the staff at the office are very very good with children, too and it's all set up to be as non-threatening and appealling as possible. Ds1 is still waiting to go back so he can play with the gameboy again.:

I read somewhere recently that the remains of people who lived and died before the sugar trade started up have very little decay present on their teeth- it's after sugar became a steady part of the human diet that what ever bacteria is responsible for decay really took off. Drat!
#185 of 195 Old 01-04-2003, 01:56 PM

:LOL Heh heh heh Well there is ONE other place that takes OHP, which is what I have. That is Wilamette Dental. There are 6 dentists there, and I think some are better than others. *sigh* yes they also treat people like cattle. But it is full coverage and the only thing I can get right now. I have gone way in debt in the past to get my teeth fixed without insurance (Umm, still paying that off !)

Thanks for the recommendations, I will be glad to have that when the time comes. It sucks to pick a doctor or dentist out of the phone book at random.
#186 of 195 Old 01-20-2003, 04:08 AM

This forum has been a wealth of information. I think I've read the entire archives in the past two days!!

My ds is 16 months and has 4 cavities that need to be filled. The dentist is recommending doing it under GA and after doing some research, talking to others and browsing the forum I do think this is the right decision. I am a medical social worker and the emotional effects are a huge deal to me as well as the physical safety.

The plan is to have a Board Certified Pediatric Anesthesiologist (from the Children's Hospital that is about 40 miles from us) come to the dentist's office. Now, for my question:

Is it really safe to do General Anesthesia in the dentist's office?! Dane has had GA once before (he needed an MRI - which showed that he is fine ) at 8 months old, but it was in a hospital and I felt more comfortable than I do this time!!

Thank you!
#187 of 195 Old 01-20-2003, 07:29 PM

Actually, I think I'd be VERYYYYY happy with that decision.

There have been more than a few reports here (check LaLaLuna's story from about a month ago for a real downer ) where children freaked out in the hospital setting, and where the hospital personnel was less than receptive to their feelings.

The anesthesiologist is the first and last person to deal with the GA. As in, if a problem were to arise, s/he would be the one to solve it. So not having nurses, other doctors, etc around will not make things worse, but being in the familiar dentist office will likely make it much easier for you son. And the equipment etc is just that, I bet it's just drug in and out of the office with everything attached.

Scattered throughout the archives are stories of dentists with GA people in-office (I seem to remember that even smilemomma herself posted about the possibility that one of her twins would be receiving GA in-office, but not so sure and I know she ended up not needing it anyway), and I've never seen anything scary happen there. Our ped dentist uses an anesthesiologist in-office when necessary, and that's one of the reasons I like him (being pro-bf is another one )

But then again, I totally understand your fears. Mine would be just as bad, wherever this was to happen. Please feel free to post as much as you want here about your concerns, because we've all been there

And let us know how it goes! Now that you've read the archives, you know that there's nothing to lift a worried mama's heart like someone else's success story!
#188 of 195 Old 01-23-2003, 01:36 AM

Ds went to the dentist today for the first time (oh yay! lol). He was really good for the doctor and his assistant too, which surprised us. Anyway, it turns out that even after the brushing twice a day, no juice except in the morning and a drink in the afternoon, and only water in bed at night, he has eight teeth with cavities!!! We were shocked!! One of the cavities is so large, the dentist said, he's not sure he can save it and it may have to be pulled out and something put there to retain the space so the permanent tooth will come in right.

Okay, our decision. Because of all the work, we've been given two options by the dentist.

1. Come in for about four to five 1/2 hour sessions to have the extraction and fillings done. Eric will have to have freezing of course, which is the part of dentistry I always hated! or...

2. Have him put under general anaethesia in the hospital, have the work done in about 1 1/2 hours and he's home later that day, still liking the dentist because he didn't have to have a needle stuck in his gums.

Okay..what would you do??? I don't want him to be afraid of the dentist like I am...he'd probably be okay for the first couple of times, then get skittish, you know?? But I don't like general anaethsia...he had a 13 hour surgery when he was six months old and they almost lost him because the anaethesiologist (or whatever you call them), administered too much fluids and almost "drowned" him. BUT, it would be over in that 1 1/2 hours and then we get on with life. I'm just so protective of my little spud and I couldn't stand if anything were to happen just having teeth filled. I'd never live with myself again.

Can someone please sort of guide us in this decision. They've reserved a date of March 7th for us...we have to let them know by Friday if we want the appt.

Dh and I thank you..
Lisa :
#189 of 195 Old 01-23-2003, 10:30 PM

There's lots of info in the Dental Archives (top of dental topics page) This thread deals specifically with the choice you're facing. Many mamas have been there, but you're the first one I see here who has your history

It must be an awful place to be. I can say of course that it's very unlikely that this anesthesiologist does the same thing, but that's not going to help you, of course. No doubt that you know that, too.

From my shoes, which are so different from yours, I'd say go with the GA, but it's awfully easy for me to say that, isn't it? I don't have any experience with GA, let alone any bad experience. But if I had any way to overcome the fear, I would do the GA. It's so much less traumatic...

I also believe that the appts would be closer to one hour each. My dd had one front tooth filled and capped, using freezing and a sedative, and it took about 45 mins. She remembers it, and didn't like having it done at all (she's feisty though). She was 2.5 yo at the time.

Hope that helps. By all means, keep us up on the developments, and we'll try to help you make the decision that's best for you and your son. Good luck
#190 of 195 Old 01-23-2003, 10:54 PM

Thanks for your quick reply. Dh and I have thought it over separately (he's working stupid shifts this week) and when I asked him his opinion this morning, he felt the GA would be better as well. So did I. I'm still not sure though. I'm waiting to hear back from the surgeon who did his other surgery to see if there were any adverse reactions (aside from the problem mentioned in my first post) to the GA...then I'll make my final decision.

Thanks again! I knew I could find some answers here!

Lisa
#191 of 195 Old 01-24-2003, 02:17 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Hi,

How fitting - we found out this morning that DD has four cavities. She is 3. We were given the same choices and have to decide quickly as well.

Could you post more about the problems you had with general anesthesia? I am leaning that way, because the dentist mentioned "restraint" in addition to two visits. I think we could do one, but not two.

Mom "D" to DD1 "Z" (14) and DD2 "I" (11) DH "M"

#192 of 195 Old 01-24-2003, 03:17 PM

The problems we had were mostly "doctor error" as they called it. He was under for 13 hours and when your out under general anaethesia, they have to hydrate you. Well, they hydrated our son too much and in effect, almost drowned him (which is possible if given too many fluids)...they had to give him a drug called Lasix (sp?) in order to make him urinate and get rid of the fluids. We don't believe that he was in any danger of the anaethesia, just the negligent doctor (and it was due to a negligent doctor in the first place, for the reason he needed this surgery).

Hope that helps some. The dentist told us that the one thing they need to know before anyone going under GA is if there is a family history of "malignant hypothermia". Now I'm not too sure what that is, but I do know there is nothing like that in my family.

Good luck with your decision.
#193 of 195 Old 01-26-2003, 09:07 PM

I feel your your pain. I had to make a similar decision with my dd last fall. She was age 2 at the time - how old is your son? Our first visit with the dentist did not go that well and she was not very co-operative. They offered the choice of consious sedation in two separate visits or the general. We chose the general in hospital. With the in office visit she would have been strapped to a papoose board. Our hospital visit went well and the surgery took about an hour. As far as I can tell she has no memory of the events. My story is posted a few pages down. She had her surgery in November.

You probably should look into insurance issues to see what iis covered. The total cost of the procedures came to $2500 of which my medical and dental ins paid about 80%
#194 of 195 Old 05-28-2004, 10:12 PM

Hi. I have never posted, but have tried to, and did something wrong, so this will be in 2 parts, so I make sure that I know what I am doing.
#195 of 195 Old 05-28-2004, 10:54 PM

When my son was 11 months, his top front tooth looked a little chipped at the corner, which at 13 months, he went to a dentist and confirmed it was a cavity. Over the next 1 1/2 years, the top front 4 (including the chipped one) had like an oval brownish stain on it on the back. I also noticed one of his top molars had a cavity. We treated these with GelKam and temporary fillings with flouride for over the course of 1 1/2 years.
He is breastfed (31 months old) and at the time of his first cavity, never had juice or anything of the sort. Only the antibiotics, Motrin, Tylenol which are full of sugar. I wonder if this is what starts it for the children. He did not eat much food at all until over 12 months.
We decided to have the surgery under GA Tuesday, because of the following: we did not want to get to the point where he got an abcess, in which they have to pull the tooth; the molar had a cavity, and since he will have it for maybe 10 years, we felt it was important that this tooth never get to the point where it could abcess; he was getting to need a lot of dental work by this time, 2 caps, 4 fillings (one which we did not know about), in which I feel that he could not handle anytime soon. The dentist said they could do it with IV sedation when he was 3 and a certain weight, but I never felt comfortable with this.
After the surgery, the dentist told us the 2 molars were little cavities, was able to do just 2 caps and not four, and that he still had a lot of tooth structure in the 2 he capped. I feel we had more time and could have possibly avoided this. I am rather angry about the whole thing. They act like GA is no big deal. But any mom who has to go through this will know that it is, and that it is very traumatic for the children. It makes me angry that the dentists worry so much about the kids being afraid of dentist and want to put them under GA, so they are not going to grow up afraid. Whatever. That is such a joke. GA is very hard on them and I do not think for a minute that they do not associate this with the dentist. They are too smart. One other thing, do not expect your child to come out with the same looking teeth. My son's caps are bigger than his original teeth, and are not perfectly staight accross at the bottom (one is slightly longer). They do not look the same. I guess I expected too much. But the dentists are so great at making everything seem so easy. Don't get me wrong, they look nice, but it is just not the same. He did do the sealants, which I am greatful for. I do not know if I knew what I know now, if I would have done this. But there was no way to know until they started drilling from what I understand. And I did want him to have all of his teeth, because I think it is important for speech. I am glad in many ways we did it. No more going to the dentist all the time. I can start fresh--no decay. It is nice knowing that he has no decay right now. The sealants make the toothbrush glide over the molars better, which were always hard to clean. His teeth are easier to clean now, without worrying about all the decayed parts (I used to use a little brush and brush the decayed parts extra good (I think they are for braces). We are going to continue with the GelKam. I found these sponges on a stick-they are called toothettes (they use them in the hospital for patients to clean their mouth) and hopefully these will help me keep his teeth clean between brushings. I put water on them, and let him do it some. But be careful they never get the sponge off. I am worried about brushing his teeth too much, so I found these (I do not want to wear the enamel off). He nurses at night, of course I was told to stop or that the decay will continue, but never will I do that. I just do not believe that God would make a mother's milk that would destroy a child's teeth. However, I do struggle with should I squirt some water in his mouth after he falls asleep. What do you think? Is it really necessary, Smilemomma or anyone?
The day he had his surgery, he came down with a fever, and has been sick all week, with a viral sore throat. It really has been a terrible week.
I am writing this, so that maybe someone can learn something from this, or at least know they are not alone. It is so hard to go through this for everyone.
Thank you so much for all that have posted and have helped me without knowing it. Thanks so much Smilemomma for all your information, which I have no idea how you have time. If anyone has any questions, I would be happy to share what we have learned. If anyone has any ideas on how to keep this from happening again that are not in the archives, I would love to hear it. Does anyone know about Goldenseal? Thanks.

Tags
Health Healing , Natural Dental Care

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page