Start Brushing - And Make it Fun! - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: Brush first or floss first?
brush then floss 28 41.18%
floss then brush 33 48.53%
depends on my mood (or what I ate, or whatever...) 7 10.29%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 119 Old 11-20-2001, 05:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone out there have any suggestions for brushing their babies teeth? My 11 mo daughter does not let a tooth brush enter her mouth, and if I try the finger tooth brush, she bites me! : She has 14 teeth including four of her molars, which are really difficult to clean. Any other ideas?
#2 of 119 Old 11-21-2001, 12:13 AM

After two trips to the dentist and three fillings on his front teeth -- I adopted a method that I'm not so proud of, but it worked.
I just held ds (then 18 mo. ) tightly and said, "I'm doing this bc I love you and have to get all the germies off your teeth so they will be healthy." and quickly brushed.
After a few times, he relaxed and now we brush teeth 3-5 times a day and he's ok with it.
#3 of 119 Old 11-21-2001, 10:52 PM

Now DS loves brushing his teeth but didn't always. Here are some things we tried and heard of:

Giving him our electric toothbrush to play with (much more fun than a regular brush)
Letting him brush our teeth and eventually he opened up (watch your eyes don't get poked out)
Giving them lots of fun looking brushes to play with at non-brushing times to get them used to brushes
One parent holding him upside down with arms pinned and the other brushing (I hated this but after 2-3 weeks of no brushing something had to be done)
Fun teeth brushing songs

On the old board there were some great one. Hopefully someone will remember more.
#4 of 119 Old 11-23-2001, 12:46 AM

This has been an issue of debate in our household lately as our longtime friend, babysitter, and "auntie" to our children questioned our habit of brushing our kids' teeth before flossing (we use fluoride rinse as the finale). Seems her dentist recommends flossing first, as you would then brush away whatever you flossed out. Wouldn't fluoride rinse wash it away as well?

Yes, I'm the one whose ds had seven fillings at age 5, so you can see why this is so important to us...

Smilemomma, what's your expert opinion?

OPEN BIG! ----""
#5 of 119 Old 11-25-2001, 11:32 PM

Ok seriously, my dd is 14 months and loves to brush her own teeth. That silly Raffi song makes it fun, so every morning while I brush my pearlies, she chews on her brush that is VERY lightly smeared with toothpaste.

Well dental hygiene is one of those things for me. I am really obsessive about my teeth so it is only natural that I am loosing sleep over hers.

I noticed the other day that she has tartar build up around the gum line. YUCK!!! Well I can try to scrape but that is really NOT affective.

How do I get her teeth REALLY clean? She flips when I try to brush her teeth for her. I really feel like I would need a straight jacket.

Smilemomma, how do you reccomend I do this?
Mammas, please shed the light of your wisdom here.
#6 of 119 Old 11-27-2001, 04:36 PM

my ds was like that too, and it was often a very unpleasant battle with me laying him on his back on the washer (in the bathroom) and forcibly brushing his teeth. Then one day I tried doing it with him standing on a stool in front of me while I said "lets count your teeth!" Then I brushed them as quickly as possible while counting out loud. That worked for a while, then it was back to the unpleasantness. What seems to work for now is that first I brush my teeth, then I say it's Barney's turn and we "brush" his stuffed animals teeth, then I say now it's your turn and lets me brush them. So far so good...
#7 of 119 Old 11-27-2001, 04:55 PM

We love the water pick thing, if you don't mind the spray everywhere, also the new vibrating toothbrushes seem to keep the kids brushing longer. We have tried some tandem spitting which my dd thinks is hysterical, also I brush hers then she brushes mine, & using a sandtimer for her to watch as I brush her teeth or brushing to music on the portable kiddiecassette player. I have also let them brush Grandmas old dentures with paste that foams alot for fun. Good Luck!!
#8 of 119 Old 11-27-2001, 05:34 PM

What we do is play "Dentist chair". Half of their bodies are laying flat on the toilet, the upper half is in my lap. They tilt their heads back and open up. I brush their teeth for them, then I let them brush.

Of course, this works well with Ethan because he is 3.5 and Rhys wants to do whatever Ethan does...so it works for me.

Unfortunately, I used to put on knee on each side of Ethan's head and brush his teeth...that was a long time ago.
#9 of 119 Old 11-28-2001, 04:48 AM

My ds has two bottom teeth and four just coming in on top. I know I should be brushing, and I do try to, but to be honest I have no idea what is "good enough"! How long should I brush? Just the teeth or the whole mouth (gums and all)? He likes his toothbrush, so that isn't a problem. But how do you do it?

Thanks!
Shannon
#10 of 119 Old 11-28-2001, 12:47 PM

I always brush first to get out most of the big stuff, floss, and then brush again.
#11 of 119 Old 12-02-2001, 04:57 PM

When do you recommend starting teeth brushing? My dd 10 mos old has 6 teeth.
#12 of 119 Old 12-02-2001, 05:40 PM
PM
Banned

I started cleaning my dd's first tooth (cut at 3 mos) with water and a piece of cloth. Did this until she had about 6, I guess, then started brushing with a very small, soft brush and Weleda children's toothpaste (no fluoride). Now we brush together every night with the Tom's Silly Strawberry I bought when I was back in the States.
#13 of 119 Old 12-02-2001, 05:53 PM

As soon as they have teeth, it is time to start brushing them. You can use a wash cloth, finger brush or soft tooth brush. I'm not sure when you should start using tooth paste. My 22 month ds sucks the toothpaste off, so I doubt it is doing anything useful.
#14 of 119 Old 12-03-2001, 01:49 PM
PM
Banned

dd, 19 mo, and I stuggled for a while with this too. All of a sudden it became a power issue, I believe. Well, I lose sleep if she doesn't brush so I sort of forced her to do it, all the while thinking how I was going to traumatize her for life. I didn't hit her or anything but I pretty much forced the brush in there, which was the hard part. Once in she would relax, but still cry. Well, one day she just started to open her mouth when I showed her the brush and allowed me to brush. It's been like that for a week now, and I hope it continues.
#15 of 119 Old 12-08-2001, 05:25 AM

This happened in our house as well. There was much 'unpleasantness' until this phase was over. But this idea may help, it got us over that 'bump' or maybe he was just ready to have his teeth brushed without the battle.

I posted a childrens calendar in the bathroom and let him put a stamp (ink pad and stamp) on the date if he let me clean his teeth without the crying and fuss. He also got a stamp on his hand to show his daddy. He got very proud of wearing those stamps and eventually we didn't need the calendar or stamps for that reason any more.

Good luck to you.
#16 of 119 Old 12-08-2001, 06:19 AM
PM
Banned

That's such a cool idea! But I'm not sure my 19 mo would understand the whole concept. How old was your son?
#17 of 119 Old 12-08-2001, 09:23 AM

When DD#1 was 2, we used to play alot of "you the dendist". At first DW and I did it together, but DD wanted in. So we let her choose a tooth brush or 5 (later an electric) and we all did each other.

Great fun!

a

The anti-Ezzo king
#18 of 119 Old 12-09-2001, 03:34 AM

ParisMaman,

I think he may have been closer to 2 years. I must warn you though, cooperation didn't happen overnight. It was more like two baby steps forward and four big steps back. It also helps to use stamps, stickers and even the calendar in a theme that your child likes/interested in. For us it was frogs at that point.

You can always give it a try and if it's not working, abandon the idea for a while and try again at a later date.

Hope this is helpful.
#19 of 119 Old 12-10-2001, 08:24 PM

My sister is Lavender - seeing your user name makes me smile.
Thanks
Violet Pearl
#20 of 119 Old 12-12-2001, 06:41 AM

I guess I need to get busy!! dd is ten months old and I don't clean her teeth....

Smilemomma.....dd HAS to nurse to sleep or all hell breaks lose should I wipe her teeth BEFORE she nurses to slpeep or AFTER she is asleep???

This is a habit that is too exhausting to break at the moment...

Not all those who wander are lost 
#21 of 119 Old 12-12-2001, 07:08 PM

Thank you so much!!! I wandered in the middle of this discussion but was wondering the same thing. dd is 7 months old and has two tiny teeth and I was thinking that I should do SOMETHING to accustom her to brushing.
So thanks!!!

Shelley, mom to dd 5/19/01, ds 9/06/02, and ds 4/01/07.  Lost babe 4/09

belly.gifDue 12/18/12!

#22 of 119 Old 12-13-2001, 04:33 AM

#23 of 119 Old 12-31-2001, 07:27 PM

Hi

What is currently recommended for daily dental care for a 15 month old? And how do you do it? To date, we have only wiped her teeth off with a clean wet wash cloth after each meal. Should we be brushing yet? What type of toothbrush is best and should we use a flouridated toothpaste? What about flossing?

She still nurses (always nurses to sleep and then takes a pacifier), but doesn't appear to pool milk.

She has her eight front teeth in but no molars.

Thanks so much.
#24 of 119 Old 01-02-2002, 01:32 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We brush at least once a day, I use non floride toothpaste since she can't spit it out. I bought a small toothbrush & brush hers when I do. She has never given me a problem & seems to want to do it, HTH
#25 of 119 Old 01-03-2002, 11:58 PM

#26 of 119 Old 01-04-2002, 12:31 PM

I asked my dentist about the Sonicare for my 16 mos. ds as it seems to make brushing more enjoyable- she recommended against it as the teeth roots are so young and pliable that the vibration might not be good for them. In some ways, I understand, but wouldn't the vibrations actually cause them to become stronger in response??
Looking for a second opinion.....
#27 of 119 Old 01-04-2002, 10:20 PM

#28 of 119 Old 01-08-2002, 09:57 AM

what sort of brushing schedule should i be aiming for with my daughter?

she's three and very much into 'i do it'

i'm concerned that she isnt always getting her teeth as clean as they should be

but then i'm faced with i dont want to sit on her and force it in her mouth because i'm concerned she'll rebel and not brush at all (i didnt come around to brushing until late in life and i'm going to pay the cost big time for it)

we've never flossed and i'm getting the idae that we should be?

she's had a canker sore on her gum and seems to get sore spots on her cheeks -- i seem to recall reading this can be due to too much juice/sugar?
#29 of 119 Old 01-08-2002, 02:37 PM

What I do with my kids is after they have the brush for a while (usually just chewing on it) - then I follow up and brush their teeth while they brush mine. We look pretty silly sitting across from each other, mouths open, brushing the other person's teeth. I think that they like the power of getting to do something in mommy's mouth and it destracts them from what I'm doing in their mouth.

In terms of routine, we always brush at night after they are finished with any eating and drinking. We try to brush in the morning, but not as much luck keeping the routine there.
#30 of 119 Old 02-18-2002, 11:39 PM

Hi all. I haven't got time to sift through the archives, but I'm sure my concerns have been discussed all over the place. I thought maybe someone could repeat what has already been said here by Smilemomma or somebody else, or direct me to a previous thread about my questions.

I'm reading a lot here about tooth decay and BF, but I don't know anything about it myself. My DS is teething now but so far no teeth have popped up. When does the tooth become vulnerable to decay? Is it only after it has surfaced? Do teeth ever break the surface but not come up for a while? If so, how do you keep them clean then? And, what do I do to make sure his teeth stay clean when the do come in? I read somebody's post about wiping teeth down with gauze..... would I do that as soon as the tooth starts to show? And how often?

Thanks, and sorry to be so behind the news here.

Tags
Health Healing , Natural Dental Care

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page