Dental work during first trimester? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 01-12-2006, 03:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a wicked toothache that has been hurting me off and on for about 2 weeks. I am 9 weeks pregnant and was hoping to be able to put it off, but I just can't anymore.

I've made an appointment to go in tomorrow. Since the tooth already has a big nasty filling from a different dentist (shady, from when our insurance was terrible ), I would tend to guess this is going to be a root canal.

I'm not sure what extra precautions I need to take. Should I ask that they take the fewest number of x rays possible? Should I ask to be covered with two lead aprons? Is there anything I should know about medications? (I am also nursing.)

Any advice on pain killers to use in the meantime would be helpful as well. I tried dd's baby orajel last night - blech! I ended up getting up at 4 am to drink some hot tea to scald the little bugger! It actually worked temporarily.

Thanks for your help!
#2 of 10 Old 01-13-2006, 04:18 PM

Is it a metal filling?

Don't touch a metal filling while pg!!!! It will release mercury.

Search this forum for warnings on root canals.

I had the same issue, made the wrong choice out my and my OB and Dentist's ignorance. DS and I are still dealing with the consequences 3 years later.

Have you consider homeopathic medication?
#3 of 10 Old 01-14-2006, 12:12 AM - Thread Starter

I honestly know NOTHING about alternative dental care. : I'm sure I will spend the next few days searching this forum.

The dentist didn't actually do anything today, but I am supposed to go back next week.

Thanks for the advice - I'll definitely look into this further.
#4 of 10 Old 01-14-2006, 03:51 AM

I am a dentist, and the risk from a dental infection to your unborn child is there and present. There have been studies that have proven when a mother is pregnant and has an active dental infection, this infection can travel in the bloodstream and has the potential to harm the unborn child.

I would recommend that if youare in pain, to have that pain alleviated. Sometimes when we are pregnant, our gums get inflamed and this could be the cause. From the sound of it though, a filling is going bad, and you may need a root canal done. I would need more info to tell you that though...ie is it pounding like a hearbeat in your tooth, does it spontaneously start hurting, is it keeping you up at night? If the answer is no, then it may not need a root canal, but may just be a leaky filling and to that, you could just have a temporary placed.

My recommendation on any routine treatment, besides cleanings, is to put it off until you are no longer pregnant. The studies have pretty conclusively proven that there is not danger while in the second trimester, but why take the chance. Not only that, but as our bellies get larger, they make it difficult to lay back comfortably, so why do it. I mean, if you have some huge decayed tooth, get it fixed so that it doesnt go bad while preggers...but other than that...why not just wait.
#5 of 10 Old 01-14-2006, 01:10 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much for the input!

He took a digital picture and I have a cavity on the side of the tooth. (Why do I floss every day?!) He said he wasn't sure if it went to the pulp, so it may need a root canal.

It has hurt off and on for about 2 1/2 weeks. It has kept me up at night twice in that time. For several days during that time it was more of a generalized dull/pressure pain on that side of my mouth and up into my head. It is sensitive to cold, but heat helps to numb it temporarily. (If I hold hot tea in my mouth, it initially throbs, then the pain dulls.)

I've had quite a bit of dental work, but I've never had infections or abcesses that needed antibiotics or anything.

Maybe I'll try to suck it up for a couple of more weeks.
#6 of 10 Old 01-14-2006, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof1cutie
The studies have pretty conclusively proven that there is not danger while in the second trimester
Yes you are right about infections, but there have been studies showing placement (or removal, if not done with the proper IAOMT protocol) releases more mercury into the system and the fetus takes up a larger percentage relative to body weight.

www.iaomt.org

http://www.amalgam.org/
#7 of 10 Old 01-14-2006, 01:45 PM

As a pp said, I wouldn't wait on an infection Pease... also it's right next to your brain!

I don't know if taking antibx now will cure the infection and buy you some time or not.

If it were me, I'd find a mercury free dentist (I assume this filling is mercury?) and talk to them about safety and your options.
#8 of 10 Old 01-14-2006, 02:33 PM

#9 of 10 Old 01-15-2006, 04:30 PM

Without seeing your tooth or doing an exam, it sounds as though you may have something called reversible pulpitis, which may be fixed with removing what we feel is the cause of the irritation, and therefore lead to reversing the inflammation in the pulp. This occurs when your pulp (nerve)becomes irritated. The cause can be a variety of things; decay, trauma, etc. Anyways, if it is reversible, a dentist could remove the decay or whatever may be causing the irritation, and place a temporary filling, wait 6 weeks to see if the pain subsides and if it does then place a permanent restoration. My recommendation would be to see the dentist soon though, because if this progresses to the point that it doesnt hurt anymore, the chances are very high that the tooth (nerve) has died and that the tooth will need to be treated by a root canal (removal of the nerve).

Remember, like I said, I have not treated you, nor have I seen any radiographs. YOu may also have something called irreversible pulpitis, in which the irriation has been so bad that you cannot reverse it. In this case you would need a root canal, otherwise the tooth may become infected and eventually lead to needing to be extracted, or worse yet, close off your breathing and lead to death.

YOu could also be grinding causing tooth pain, or something else. PLease, don't just suck it up and wait it out. THis could very well lead to worse problems.

Antibiotics may get rid of the infection, but it does not remove the sourceof the infection, which is whatever caused the irritation in the first place. Antibiotics are a short fix, and when the infection returns, it will come back with a vengence.
#10 of 10 Old 01-15-2006, 11:09 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks again for the great info! Rather than putting it off, I will make an appointment for this week as my dentist suggested.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page