Which crowns are best? (with follow- up question!) - Mothering Forums
Dental > Which crowns are best? (with follow- up question!)
TudoBem's Avatar TudoBem 12:23 AM 01-21-2006
I keep reading about the different kinds of crowns- i.e. stainless steel, composite resin, acrylic, porcelain veneer. I do have hesitation about the stainless steel because of the nickel content. Which are the best ones to get for a very young child that are still durable?
Thanks so much for any advice!

True Blue's Avatar True Blue 12:29 AM 01-21-2006
DS has composite and they chip and have fallen off a lot. However, they look very natural. It would be nice if they didn't break so easily though!
Plummeting's Avatar Plummeting 01:51 AM 01-21-2006
DD is 20 months and we're going to get the composite front bonded to stainless steel. Two dentists told us the strongest would be an all stainless steel w/the front cut out, then replaced with composite. However, when you do that you can still see the ribbon of stainless steel all around the front edges of the tooth, so we don't want her to have teeth like that for the next 5 years. I looked into the all composite crowns, but they seem to be much more likely to chip and crack, so we've decided against them. I think it would be too traumatic to spend the next 5 years or so replacing broken crowns every few months.

As far as which composite/stainless steel crowns are the best, I've learned that there is definitely a difference. Apparently, NuSmile crowns, which are very popular, are also the weakest. The strongest and least likely to fracture in both lab tests and the real world are Whiter Biter crowns. From what I've gathered in the area DD is having her work done, very few (if any) dentists use the Whiter Biter. Therefore, we'll probably go with Kinder Krowns (pronounced with a short i, as in kindergarten). Kinder Krowns do seem to be much stronger than NuSmiles. HTH at least a little.

Oh, I'm very, very allergic to nickel. I mean, VERY allergic! But stainless steel doesn't bother me, so I'm not going to worry about it for DD.
TudoBem's Avatar TudoBem 02:34 PM 01-21-2006
It sounds like while the composite are nice because they don't contain nickel, they do chip and break easily.

Plummeting, thanks for the info. on the brands of stainless steel crowns! That's very helpful.

Does anyone know of any stainless steel (in the back) crowns that don't have nickel in them?
TudoBem's Avatar TudoBem 06:12 PM 01-22-2006
Also, is there anyone who has used all composite, resin, acrylic, or porcelain crowns (without stainless steel) and not had any problems with chipping or falling off?
Plummeting's Avatar Plummeting 09:04 PM 01-22-2006
My sister had a crown w/no stainless steel on one of her front teeth for 14 years, with no breaking or chipping. It did get discolored over time, but it never fractured. I'm not sure what material it was though. However, she had hers put on at age 8, so it was a permanent tooth and she was well past the age of putting non-food items into her mouth and biting them.
Shiloh's Avatar Shiloh 04:02 AM 01-29-2006
gold.
my father and mother have similar dental crowns.
My mom is missing half her molars, my dad has them all.
my mom had white ones my dad went to the dental school in the 60's and they were doing gold only (mom paid for white). My mom has had major issues, infections etc. My dad's gold molars are perfect.

research gold its the only ones I'd do.
Besides my mom's white crowns are a metalic blue now...gross.
momto l&a's Avatar momto l&a 04:26 AM 01-29-2006
I have read that for crowns gold is the way to go.
Jster's Avatar Jster 12:50 PM 02-08-2006
Has anyone used gold crowns on kids? I'm not sure my dentist would even do that...but she really needs two crowns and I just don't want to do stainless steel. But it's getting to the point that I might just do that...I'd just love to hear someone using gold crowns, or whether that's possible. Also, how expensive was it? TIA!
tahiti99's Avatar tahiti99 01:16 PM 01-26-2007
does anyone know of any dentist in new england that uses these???
kaPOW!'s Avatar kaPOW! 01:56 PM 01-26-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plummeting View Post
DD is 20 months and we're going to get the composite front bonded to stainless steel. Two dentists told us the strongest would be an all stainless steel w/the front cut out, then replaced with composite. However, when you do that you can still see the ribbon of stainless steel all around the front edges of the tooth, so we don't want her to have teeth like that for the next 5 years. I looked into the all composite crowns, but they seem to be much more likely to chip and crack, so we've decided against them. I think it would be too traumatic to spend the next 5 years or so replacing broken crowns every few months.
I can't figure out what you're getting. It's not steel with the front cut out and replaced with composite, but it is stainless steel with composite on the front? I'm interested in the difference because I'm going to be scheduling our sons GA dental surgury for April, and our choice of crowns will greatly impact which dentist we select. I'd always assumed that we'd use the one that does plastic teeth, for asthetic reasons, but this thread has made me wonder...
Up