Curing Cavities with Nutrition - Page 11 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#301 of 861 Old 10-04-2006, 04:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeagleMommy View Post
"I hope I get this right. The glycerine coats the teeth and teeth are mainly remineralized from the outside. So, if they are coated the minerals can't get into the teeth and repair them."

Exactly, so why is toothsoap such a good idea? If it is natural soap, it has glycerine. :

This one doesn't:

http://www.tropicaltraditions.com/teeth_cleaner.htm

Ingredients: Purified water, organic Virgin Coconut Oil, baking soda, xanthan gum, stevia, wildcrafted myrrh powder, organic essential oils of peppermint, spearmint, cinnamon, and clove.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#302 of 861 Old 10-04-2006, 05:34 PM

Jane,

Do you still have the link you posted some tie ago on how bm quality is affected by what you eat if you have a leaky gut? Have searched my bookmarked pages but can't find it!

Thanks!
#303 of 861 Old 10-04-2006, 07:25 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
I had a question about toothsoap, and after scanning all the toothsoap references I can find, I couldn't find an answer.
I make soap. My understanding is that glycerine is a by-product of the saponification process. So my natural, homemade soap has glycerine in it. Right?
According to some of my soapmaking books, all real soap has glycerine in it except for commercial stuff which has it removed so it can be sold seperately.

So my question, if glycerine is bad for teeth, why is soap good?

I appologize if this is a dumb question. I guess I just don't get it.
Thanks.
I have to wonder if glycerin in natural soap gets "washed off" with the soap, and maybe only refined glycerin is the problem here.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19 (in Israel for another school year), Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 12(homeschooled)
#304 of 861 Old 10-07-2006, 11:36 PM

Quote:
I had a question about toothsoap, and after scanning all the toothsoap references I can find, I couldn't find an answer.
I make soap. My understanding is that glycerine is a by-product of the saponification process. So my natural, homemade soap has glycerine in it. Right?
According to some of my soapmaking books, all real soap has glycerine in it except for commercial stuff which has it removed so it can be sold seperately.

So my question, if glycerine is bad for teeth, why is soap good?

I appologize if this is a dumb question. I guess I just don't get it.
Thanks.
I've been thinking about this since you posted it. It talked to the farmers who make our toothsoap today. They really get into the science of it so I knew they would have an interesting viewpoint. They said that yes, natural soapmaking does produce about 6% natural glycerin. They wondered if the natural glycerin would be less likely to adhere to the tooth than synthetic glycerin. I'll contact the woman who makes the toothsoap this week and see if I can get an answer from her. Thanks for bringing this up.
#305 of 861 Old 10-07-2006, 11:46 PM

I just went to the toothsoap site for contact info and noted at the top of the page "no added glyerin" which makes me think it is a synthetic vs. natural issue. I did email my question and will post the reply here when I receive it.
#306 of 861 Old 10-08-2006, 12:20 AM

I tried it in a smoothie but dd only drank a tiny bit. She isn't used to juice, so I'm not sure whether that would work either. Maybe I'll try tomato juice. Has anyone tried that with any luck? This is the high vitamin CLO. She loves eating Nordic Naturals strawberry capsules.
#307 of 861 Old 10-08-2006, 10:29 PM

Here is the reply I received from toothsoap :

Dear Moneca,

Glycerine that is produced during saponifcation cannot be skimmed off the
soap, as it is a part of the soap. We do not use any chemicals to remove
the small amount of glycerine by product that stems from the soap making
process.

We have found that the small amount of glycerine alcohol coming from the
process does not affect the cleansing ability of the soap in any and
certainly does not coat the teeth with residue.

What needs to be avoided are products that contain over 55% added
glycerine, that will coat teeth and prevent re-enamelization.

Thank you for writing to us with your questions.

Tooth Soap Support Team
#308 of 861 Old 10-09-2006, 02:01 AM

I have a question about butter oil/butter....

I was browsing the WAP site and am reading that eating regular butter can be as effective (in conjunction with CLO) than butter oil. Has anyone experienced this? Because there's no way I'm gonig to convince DH to for over $60 for a bottle of butter oil

Also, does the butter have to be organic? Or will store-bought do (Land-O-Lakes I hear is practically organic)?

Thanks in advance!
#309 of 861 Old 10-09-2006, 09:37 AM

The butter would have to be from a grass fed cow, I'd bet money that there is no non-organic butter that is grassfed.

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
#310 of 861 Old 10-09-2006, 12:30 PM

Kerrygold isn't organic, but it is grassfed. That is what I use. Many organic butters are not grassfed.
#311 of 861 Old 10-09-2006, 04:59 PM

the kerrygold isn't raw is it? the only stuff I can find is pastuerized...
#312 of 861 Old 10-09-2006, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CluckyInAZ View Post
Kerrygold isn't organic, but it is grassfed. That is what I use. Many organic butters are not grassfed.
Clucky,

I'm in AZ too. Where do you buy Kerrygold butter?
#313 of 861 Old 10-09-2006, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneca View Post
What needs to be avoided are products that contain over 55% added
glycerine, that will coat teeth and prevent re-enamelization.
Great to know, Moneca. I wrote the company where I bought dd's Epic xylitol toothpaste to find out about the glycerine percentage. I'll post their response here.
#314 of 861 Old 10-09-2006, 05:46 PM

I'm finding this all really interesting. dd had her first dentist visit and they want me to have a few of her molar "scraped" and sealed. I don't want sealant in her mouth and am looking for things we can do to help them.
I don't think its very far gone though, he said that those teeth are more prone to problems because of the shape of them.

We normally get our milk from a local family who sells raw milk. The cow just gave birth or is perhaps still pregnant so they are not milking her at this time.

Do you think just drinking the raw, grassfed milk along with the cod liver oil would be enough to make a difference?

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
#315 of 861 Old 10-10-2006, 01:11 PM

Thanks, Moneca. And everyone for patience as I try to figure this all out.
#316 of 861 Old 10-10-2006, 01:14 PM

Quote:
I'm in AZ too. Where do you buy Kerrygold butter?
I get it at Trader Joes. It is $2.49
#317 of 861 Old 10-10-2006, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Thanks, Moneca. And everyone for patience as I try to figure this all out.
Glad you brought it up. I learned something new I'm always learning something new.
#318 of 861 Old 10-10-2006, 10:26 PM

doh, was thinking of the local butters we have here, organic and nonorganic and definitely wasn't try to imply that all organic butters are grassfed either- certainly isn't the case with the 1 organic brand around here.

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
#319 of 861 Old 10-11-2006, 07:43 PM

Does anybody know where I can buy the high vitamin butter oil & clo in Canada? Every site I've looked at won't/can't ship to Canada.

Thanks!
#320 of 861 Old 10-12-2006, 01:33 PM

I am not sure..hopefully someone will have an idea..I guess the other option is perhaps for someone in the states to order it and then send it to you...
#321 of 861 Old 10-13-2006, 03:44 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Can some of you dental gurus help with the Cliff Notes to this thread?

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19 (in Israel for another school year), Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 12(homeschooled)
#322 of 861 Old 10-15-2006, 01:47 AM

I just finished reading ALL of this thread... :
I started reading because I just spend over $700 at the dentist yesterday for two of my children. : It was my ds's first visit. He had a cleaning and xrays of his front teeth. The hygenist said he has very little plaque his teeth all look great EXCEPT for the top teeth in the front. In between the top two teeth and the two next to them he has cavities (this was a big reason I brought him in because I just noticed them). She was puzzled as to why this would happen. Well, they of course want him to get fillings. I am leaning towards doing the fillings because they are his front teeth and he will have them for another 3 or 4 years. If I choose to do them what do I need to find out about what they use to fill them? I know not to use amalgams (mercury right?). Is there anything else I need to know?? I have only been doing NT for a few months and we've been taking BO & CLO sporadically. I am prepared to do a major diet change. Should I wait and try the diet change to see if there is a reversal? The thing that worries me about that is the decay going deeper going into the pulp area and then that leads to bigger issues.
My oldest dd also saw the dentist, hers was the most expensive. They did a filling in her 6 year molar. She had a small cavity there. They also did a filling in a baby molar that will not fall out until she is at least 10, so she will have it for another 3 years.... That cavity went to the pulp and the dentist said he put some "medicine" on it and did a "pulp cap - indirect" (that's what my paperwork calls it. Is this a dangerous thing? Part of the reason I ask is because the same tooth on the other side most likely needs the same treatment. She has two more cavities that need fillings. I need to do more research on this
Now about me.... ugh. I had four amalgams done when I was a kid. One of them broke about a year before I got pg with dd#1. I never had it taken care of so it was broken and exposed through my whole first pregnancy. When I was two months pg with dd #2 it became very painful and I had a root canal. Now from all I've read on this thread that amalgam was exposing my body to mercury through my whole pregnancy and bf time with dd#1 and conception and beginning of pg with dd#2. And the root canal probably exposed (does it continue for a time??) me and the baby to all kinds of bad bacteria. After I had dd#2 I had all kinds of dental work done, including another root canal. Everything was done before I got pg with ds. Now all of my fillings are white, mercury free? Just because they are white does that not mean they are safe or are they??? Right now I am bf dd#4 and I cannot do any kind of chelating right? What about my other dc??? What is recommended to remove toxins for them? And after I am done bf'ing what should I do? I am sure we are all full of bad stuff!!
Advice please??????
Oh, and dd#1 has type 1 diabetes too..... Both my older dd's are fully vax'd! : Ds is partially vax'd but won't be anymore and the baby won't be at all!! If only I could go back in time, I would do so many things different!!
#323 of 861 Old 10-16-2006, 10:24 AM

Everyone here should read the chapter on Tooth Decay in Weston Price's book. http://journeytoforever.org/farm_lib...e/price16.html He goes over the specifics of the diet and photographs are included which show before and after remineralization of the teeth.

One thing he mentions is phosphorous, which I haven't seen anyone mention here.... any input on that issue?
He says this about the meals the healed that children's teeth:
"This (food) was brought to my laboratory for chemical analysis, which analysis showed that these meals provided approximately 1.48 grams of calcium and 1.28 grams of phosphorus in a single helping of each course. Since many of the children doubled up on the course, their intake of these minerals was much higher. I have shown in the preceding chapter that the accepted figures for the requirements of the body for calcium and phosphorus are 0.68 grams of calcium and 1.32 grams of phosphorus."

I'm taking a liquid calcium supplement in hopes it will go through the BM to dd, but phsophorus... I'm not taking any.

Oh, the Epic Xylitol toothpaste contains less than 25% glycerine. That is all the company I bought it from could tell me.
#324 of 861 Old 10-16-2006, 03:48 PM

Sarah - That book is what convinced me to eat NT whole hog! This is another one of those times that I really wish I could get the nutritional stats on organic pastured raw jersey milk! I would love to know the mineral composition and see how it is altered for the better when made into kefir or yoghurt. Maybe one day when I have money to blow on my curiosity. Can you do raw milk or was dd allergic? Besides NT eating I do Traceminerals concentrace sea drops and raw pollen granules from swarmbusting honey for extra minerals from natural sources.
#325 of 861 Old 10-16-2006, 04:29 PM

I've read most of this thread and learned lots. We started changing over to WAP eating when DS was a few months old. He's 3 1/2 now and today we had to have a tooth extracted...he had an absess. We noticed spots on a few of his teeth, and the one he had an obvious cavity and we'd be doing a wait and see approach. We've been using the raw milk, CLO/BO, and over the past few months I've gotten better about including bone broths. We do kefir, sauerkraut, etc. So he also has 3 other cavities in 3 different molars. The dentist said one is fairly bad. I guess I'm nervous about not doing anything. I'd love to reverse the decay and remineralize with nutrition, its what we've been trying to do. I was not taking cod liver oil while I was pregnant with him and I'm wondering if its going to be possible to fix these baby teeth with nutrition. We have an appointment with the dentist in 2 weeks and I'm thinking of possibly getting the one filled that the dentist said was really bad and maybe giving the other ones some time and see if we can improve those with nutrition. Just trying to get others 2 cents I guess, before we go back to the dentist.

#326 of 861 Old 10-17-2006, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldshakerz View Post
I've read most of this thread and learned lots. We started changing over to WAP eating when DS was a few months old. He's 3 1/2 now and today we had to have a tooth extracted...he had an absess. We noticed spots on a few of his teeth, and the one he had an obvious cavity and we'd be doing a wait and see approach. We've been using the raw milk, CLO/BO, and over the past few months I've gotten better about including bone broths. We do kefir, sauerkraut, etc. So he also has 3 other cavities in 3 different molars. The dentist said one is fairly bad. I guess I'm nervous about not doing anything. I'd love to reverse the decay and remineralize with nutrition, its what we've been trying to do. I was not taking cod liver oil while I was pregnant with him and I'm wondering if its going to be possible to fix these baby teeth with nutrition. We have an appointment with the dentist in 2 weeks and I'm thinking of possibly getting the one filled that the dentist said was really bad and maybe giving the other ones some time and see if we can improve those with nutrition. Just trying to get others 2 cents I guess, before we go back to the dentist.
I would suggest reading Nutrition and Physical Degeneration by Weston Price. He talks about a mission school program where the dental carries were halted by his nutritional interventions. You can read the whole book at :

http://journeytoforever.org/farm_lib.../pricetoc.html
#327 of 861 Old 10-24-2006, 08:11 PM

my family has been eating NT for a few months now and my son's teeth have started, well his top front teeth the enamel is just kinda disappearing starting in the middle of the front of the teeth.

He loves taking CLO and always wants more. He could care less about the BO but I am going to start mixing them to see if he will take it that way. He loves to eat things like eggs and liverwurst and grains cooked in bone broth (although maybe he shouldn't be having grains at all) I can't get him to drink straight bone broth yet. But I am going to get him a funtainer thermos cup this week and see if he will drink it out of that, right now he just drinks out of regular cups. He is 1 and a half (almost)

My dh and I are going crazy about this. A new hole just opened up last week He is going to have these teeth for a while, I don't want them to all rot out of his head!

He makes horrible faces everytime he takes a bite of something or drinks something, but that doesn't mean he doesn't like it, he will ask for more. I was just thinking today that maybe that means it hurts his teeth? Or he is just sensitive to flavors and temperatures, I am not sure.

I am scared to take him to a dentist, they would just want to do caps right? Should they? Can anyone offer me some wise words? Anyone have a great multimineral supplement suggestion?
#328 of 861 Old 10-25-2006, 09:58 AM

Here is a thread on recommendations for Ped dentists in Arizona...http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=526301

What part of AZ are you in? I'm in Prescott.

In another post you said you used Kerrygold butter. What store do you buy it at?

Wow, you must be so disappointed and frustrated considering how well he is eating and yet still his teeth are disappearing! I'm kind of in the same boat w/ my dd. I'm trying to do NT and my diet has improved. DD still doesn't eat much... she is 27 mo old and loves to nurse. She also eats more whenever she sees another child eating and of course wants to eat their snacks of pretzels, animal crackers, muffins... you get the picture. I've been using xylitol with her in toothpaste and just ordered some to use in place of regular sugar, as it does not feed strep mutans (the bacteria that cause tooth decay) or yeast (candida). However, I'm thinking about adding in a flouride toothpaste, see this story:
http://mothering.com/discussions/sho...18&postcount=3, as another of her teeth-her canine- is starting to show that mottled look which preceeds the enamel coming off
#329 of 861 Old 10-25-2006, 12:26 PM

Thanks for replying! I am in Tempe. I get kerrygold at Trader Joes. Sprouts has it too. I am not sure you have either in Prescott though.

My son is just poised push his canines through, and finish up several molars. I can no even stand the thought of more teeth succumbing to decay! :

I have some cavities too that I have been avoiding going to the dentist for. Does anyone have a time frame in which they saw improvement from diet?
#330 of 861 Old 10-25-2006, 03:06 PM

HELP....

T & L both have half of their teeth on the top grey...I think it must be mineral deficiences... my dad has my WAP book...They are allergic to dairy..
What can I do? JANE??

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page