Curing Cavities with Nutrition - Page 13 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#361 of 861 Old 11-27-2006, 05:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
:

Thanks to all who replied to my pp about healing my dd's cavities with nutrition. We've been doing many of the things recommended for the past 3 weeks (but there's room for improvement).

Dh had scheduled a dentist appt for tomorrow in which the DDS plans to do all restorative work on either one side of dd's mouth or an entire arch. I'm so conficted on this - I don't want to let the decay go - the 3 dds we've spoken with all concurr that untreated, the caries will spread deeper into the tooth and can effect the adult teeth. the decay is in 10 teeth, multiple surfaces. A few are small but most seem pretty deep. It is likely she will need pulpotomies and crowns. Pulpotomies are like "jr root canals".

The xrays show that her adult incisors and molars are already very developed. I would like to take a wait and see approach but am too scared of the possible consequences. But then I read on one of the dental threads about how differently decay is treated in Europe and that's just confused me more.

I am so confused and overwhelmed right now. The dentists are all saying to use flouride, that the kids who've gotten flouride don't have cavities. DD's had flouride toothpaste off and on after age 2. The weston a price website is full of info against flouride...how am I supposed to "know" what's right or true when everything seems to be in conflict.

I need some support....I'd like to go sleep for a decade now.
#362 of 861 Old 11-27-2006, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garden sea and sky View Post
But then I read on one of the dental threads about how differently decay is treated in Europe and that's just confused me more.
(
Can you tell me which threads? I've got dd signed up for GA and 4 or more pulpotomites crowns, etc for next Monday... still wondering if I am doing the right thing! I am hoping the nutritional improvements will be there for the permanent teeth!
#363 of 861 Old 11-27-2006, 07:43 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
:

Thanks to all who replied to my pp about healing my dd's cavities with nutrition. We've been doing many of the things recommended for the past 3 weeks (but there's room for improvement).

Dh had scheduled a dentist appt for tomorrow in which the DDS plans to do all restorative work on either one side of dd's mouth or an entire arch. I'm so conficted on this - I don't want to let the decay go - the 3 dds we've spoken with all concurr that untreated, the caries will spread deeper into the tooth and can effect the adult teeth. the decay is in 10 teeth, multiple surfaces. A few are small but most seem pretty deep. It is likely she will need pulpotomies and crowns. Pulpotomies are like "jr root canals".

The xrays show that her adult incisors and molars are already very developed. I would like to take a wait and see approach but am too scared of the possible consequences. But then I read on one of the dental threads about how differently decay is treated in Europe and that's just confused me more.

I am so confused and overwhelmed right now. The dentists are all saying to use flouride, that the kids who've gotten flouride don't have cavities. DD's had flouride toothpaste off and on after age 2. The weston a price website is full of info against flouride...how am I supposed to "know" what's right or true when everything seems to be in conflict.

I need some support....I'd like to go sleep for a decade now.
How about talking to the dentist about the changes you've made, and ask for a re-exam before consenting to any restorative work? Has the decay gotten any better since last visit? Has it at least stayed the same?

Even if you decide to go with the restorative work, keep up all the nutritional changes so the adult teeth grow in strong- and stay that way!

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#364 of 861 Old 11-28-2006, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahariz View Post
Can you tell me which threads? I've got dd signed up for GA and 4 or more pulpotomites crowns, etc for next Monday... still wondering if I am doing the right thing! I am hoping the nutritional improvements will be there for the permanent teeth!
Sarahariz - check out this post (took an hour to find it!)

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...5&postcount=28

It is better not to be alone with all this. Good luck with the GA.
#365 of 861 Old 11-28-2006, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthla View Post
How about talking to the dentist about the changes you've made, and ask for a re-exam before consenting to any restorative work? Has the decay gotten any better since last visit? Has it at least stayed the same?

Even if you decide to go with the restorative work, keep up all the nutritional changes so the adult teeth grow in strong- and stay that way!
That's a good idea. I'm not sure she'd buy into the nutritional thing making any difference. They all say, once the decays gone past the enamel, it moves very quickly. Dentin can't recalcify. And I tell them about the work of Weston A. Price and they've never heard of him. Instead they tout the value of flouride and taking care of the fillings so that the adult teeth aren't damaged. While they at least do white fillings, they just seem to be aggressive. I end up feeling like I sound like a nut job to them and I kind of shrink.

I've posted elsewhere asking for San Diego dentist info - I'll try here too - anyone have a less conventional dentist they'd rec. for kids? In San Diego?

Thanks!
#366 of 861 Old 11-28-2006, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Sarahariz - check out this post (took an hour to find it!)

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...5&postcount=28

It is better not to be alone with all this. Good luck with the GA.
Thanks! I guess the thing I'm afraid of is if I do nothing and any of her teeth do absess, then she'll have to get them pulled with just novacaine with us holding her down. That seems like it would be traumatic!

I wish someone would replicate Westin Price's research today. The dentists told me that the dentin would not remineralize either-but what he was saying was that the dentin would lay down new layers to protect the pulp. It is also unclear from his research whether the changes were happening in baby teeth or permanent teeth in the children he treated.

I had a wisdom tooth that was decayed. I only had a little senstivity with it once and a while. The dentist thought he could fill it. When he started drilling, it turned out the decay had gone all the way to the pulp-so he had to pull it. I got the tooth afterwards. You can almost see how the tooth had laid down extra dentin--and I wonder if I had not gotten anything done with it how long it would have been before it absessed. This is what makes me wonder about these dentists. Sometimes it is better to leave well enough alone.

I'm so conflicted!! I feel like cancelling dd's appointment for the GA!
#367 of 861 Old 11-28-2006, 06:18 PM

Sarah, I'm not too familiar with abcesses and what they are all about. Interesting about your dentin though. Your dd is younger than mine, but we just survived an in office appt - see below - so I wonder if the GA is absolutely necessary. Did the DDS offer other options? How long did they say they are comfortable with waiting on the procedure? I understand your conflict, certainly! I tend to err on the side of going along with the doctors, after intense questioning, as long as I understand their rationale and don't have clear evidence that they are mistaken.

Good News! We are home from the dentist. Took less than an hour and they were able to complete half of the work dd needs. We were not allowed in the room, which freaked dh out, but i said, lets stay calm and give it a try, maybe we are projecting our own fears and it won't be so bad.

One or two short Oprah articles later and it was done. No pain that I've heard about. HAPPILY - dd did NOT need a pulpotomy on the one tooth that was in question, and she did not need one of the crowns that was planned. So, she's got one silver crown and 4 white fillings. I was so surprised at how easily it went that it was anticlimactic. We are to go back once more for the other 5 teeth and I sure hope that the nutrition stuff and good hygiene keep us cavity free for the long haul.

Sarah - did you say you've tried xylitol gum? What's your exp. so far? I looked online and one site talked about how you need 6 grams of xylitol a day to impact the bacteria in the mouth, and it claimed other brands don't have as much as theirs, etc. (epicdental). What have you heard?
#368 of 861 Old 11-30-2006, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Sarah - did you say you've tried xylitol gum? What's your exp. so far? I looked online and one site talked about how you need 6 grams of xylitol a day to impact the bacteria in the mouth, and it claimed other brands don't have as much as theirs, etc. (epicdental). What have you heard?
I've heard that it needs to be used 4-5 times/day to make a difference too. We use Epic xylitol toothpaste (although I'm thinking of changing to Squiggle, which has flouride and xylitol, since dd's teeth are so bad), we also use gum and mints-all stuff we ordered off the internet through "Homestead Market." I've been pleased with their service as you get the stuff very quickly and you can use pay pal to pay-as well as the usual credit card. I use the gum too-I prefer the mint kind, but dd likes the fruit.

I'm really questioning the GA thing! How old is your child? If anything went wrong with the GA and something happened to dd, I don't think I could survive! But of course I would also feel guilty if I did not go through with it now and she ended up having teeth pulled or something. I've talked to so many people over the last few days trying to get some more clarity for myself. I've put two calls into the anesthesiologist, who hasn't called me back, which I'm not feeling happy about! In our state, if GA is done in the dentist's office, the anesthesiologist has to be a dentist. So this guy has a DDS plus he did a two year residency in dental anesthesiology. But then I'm on a yahoo group called "very young kids teeth" and a warning was just posted about not doing GA in the dentist's office because "in emergency cases they have only minutes before permanent brain damage or death occurs." Scary! I'm going to do some more research now!
#369 of 861 Old 12-03-2006, 01:53 AM
Banned

subbing so I don't lose this thread! My teeth (and diet, overall.... : ) are a mess.
#370 of 861 Old 12-03-2006, 04:38 PM

Hugs to the mamas who are going through the dental trauma with their kiddos.
Just wanted to report that the lavendar soap base with peppermint and clove essential oils added to it was a big hit with DH and some friends. My soapmaker has made more batches because her family and some other customers love the blend. I did have her put a "ton" of essential oils in it.
Also found a good natural tooth whitener. Mix one part lemon juice to two parts baking soda. Put on teeth with a q-tip for about 30 seconds and then wash off. I only do this once per week as both components remove enamel. I like this much better than just baking soda.
#371 of 861 Old 12-07-2006, 05:16 PM

I am going to order some butter oil now to take with my CLO. I have been holding off because of expense but the estimate for this round of cavities is over $800!( I have been doing NT for 7 months.) I just keep getting cavities and I am so sick of it. The dentist said that the kind of decay I have is what you see in the teenage years so at least I am 10 years behind on that.

Anyone know how long it takes for the dentin to harden?
Jen

homebirth.jpg<>< Mama to DS, DD, and a new baby girl 4/1! homeschool.gifmdcblog5.gif

#372 of 861 Old 12-10-2006, 12:23 AM - Thread Starter

Not sure about timeline... but Nutrition and Physical Degeneration is online (check Trad. Foods forum) if you want to read the dental caries chapter.

Also remember that BO and CLO are only part of equation. You need high minerals particularly calcium and phosphate such as bone broths and/or raw grass fed milk.
#373 of 861 Old 12-10-2006, 03:39 AM

Good to know about the broths....I can't have dairy but I have bone broths almost every day at this point. I am also supplementing with Total Mins because I was low in some minerals. My past nutrient defiences must be the cause. Well, I guess I am on my journey to healthy teeth....

homebirth.jpg<>< Mama to DS, DD, and a new baby girl 4/1! homeschool.gifmdcblog5.gif

#374 of 861 Old 12-29-2006, 01:58 AM

:

afro.jpg
#375 of 861 Old 01-31-2007, 02:06 AM

#376 of 861 Old 02-08-2007, 05:04 PM

Just found this thread and I'm subbing. Very interesting stuff.
#377 of 861 Old 02-08-2007, 06:13 PM

Hi, my dd who is 5 has 4 cavities.We have been eating NT (partially) for almost a year.She drinks raw grass-fed milk and takes CLO. I think I am just going to get these 4 filled though. My question is what is the healthiest filling? Composite? porcelain?I know not to do amalgam but I don,t know what is the best? thanks, Crystal
#378 of 861 Old 02-26-2007, 06:34 PM

Bumping
#379 of 861 Old 02-26-2007, 06:38 PM

My biologic dentist uses a mixture of gold and platnium and other things (If I'm remembering correctly) It is covered with something called bell glass (not sure I spelled that right). He tests you for which exact mixture is the perfect one for your body. I doubt most dentists offer this but it is probably the best possible thing if you are getting them filled. Is there a biologic dentist near you that you could use?

Patty wife to Jason Mama to Wisteria (6) and Junia (2)
our family is <>< and :
#380 of 861 Old 02-26-2007, 06:43 PM

This is an interesting diet that I will have to check out!
#381 of 861 Old 02-27-2007, 10:14 AM
ver

I read that it helps for better absorption of vitamins to take the CLO with orange juice. I also read that Price recommended orange juice or tomato juice. Is that true? How does orange juice increase absorption? Any ideas?
#382 of 861 Old 02-27-2007, 10:15 AM
ver

I read that it helps for better absorption of vitamins to take the CLO with orange juice. I also read that Price recommended orange juice or tomato juice. Is that true? How does orange juice increase absorption? Any ideas?
#383 of 861 Old 02-27-2007, 11:28 PM

can someone please share the URL for the biologic dentists?
#384 of 861 Old 02-28-2007, 07:06 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ver View Post
My guess would be the vitamin C content of those juices.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#385 of 861 Old 03-01-2007, 02:29 AM

I am making my own toothpowder now since I need something without glycerine to remineralize. I found it on the internet:

3 parts baking soda
1 part salt (I use ground Celtic sea salt)
a few drop of peppermint oil

I shook it all up in a small size mason jar with a lid. We will see how this goes! I really want to get the toothsoap but that will have to wait......

#386 of 861 Old 03-06-2007, 01:36 PM

You might want to be careful using baking soda on your teeth every day - it is pretty harsh and can eat away at the enamel. Recommendations I have read say mayb use once a week if you're really wanting to whiten, but not daily. Just an FYI.
#387 of 861 Old 03-08-2007, 04:20 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Enough acronyms for ya?

Seriously, though, there has been enough interest that I am running a coop for Green Pastures clo and bo. Ordering in bulk drops prices as follows:

Butter Oil
Liquid: $49.90 (regular $59.90)
Capsules: $29.90 (regular $44.90)

Blue Ice High Vitamin Cod Liver Oil
Regular: $13.90 (regular $22.90)

Other items are reduced, too. To look at the prices we'll be getting, see https://www.greenpasture.org/checkou...=mixmatch&c=3r . Regular prices are at https://www.greenpasture.org/checkou...=mixmatch&c=1r .

I live in Park Slope, Brooklyn.

Crossposted to TF and Curing Cavities.

Mom, , to DS(10), , , due November 3, 2014, and 4 's: 4/01, 7/01, 9/01, and 12/13. DP to .

****5****10****15****20****25***30****35****40
#388 of 861 Old 03-08-2007, 04:51 AM

So is this co-op only for people in NY?
#389 of 861 Old 03-08-2007, 07:56 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
This time I'd like to stick to NY because shipping costs would definitely negate a good deal of savings.

Mom, , to DS(10), , , due November 3, 2014, and 4 's: 4/01, 7/01, 9/01, and 12/13. DP to .

****5****10****15****20****25***30****35****40
#390 of 861 Old 03-17-2007, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasmyn View Post
You might want to be careful using baking soda on your teeth every day - it is pretty harsh and can eat away at the enamel. Recommendations I have read say mayb use once a week if you're really wanting to whiten, but not daily. Just an FYI.
Yeah I read about that too. Is there a toothsoap recipe like the one you can buy?

Jen

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page