Curing Cavities with Nutrition - Page 17 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-09-2008, 11:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnelian View Post
What flavor of toothsoap do y'all recommend? Is there one your children prefer? I'm thinking of going with the peppermint for myself.
My kids love the grape. For adults, the cinnamon tastes more of clove than cinnamon to me. I'm going to try the ginger or mint next.

KerryAnn @ CookingTF dot com - Nutrient dense foods your kids will LOVE!  Real Food Cooking School and Lactofermentation Classes now live! Use coupon code "CTF" for 20% off.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2008, 08:50 PM

Krankedyann, what are your feelings about the honey in the grape flavored tooth soap? I'm finding it hard to find info on this. There is info on its wonderful antiseptic properties for the gums but nothing is mentioned about the possible residual sugars that may remain on the teeth.

Anybody seen this? It's about 1/3 the price of tooth soap and contains neem oil, a centuries old ayurvedic tooth and gum remedy. There's also a neem-free version.

Also, I think I've found a good source of l. reuteri made by Nature's Way. :
Old 02-11-2008, 09:07 PM

I haven't really been concerned about it, to be right honest. My kids teeth have healed even though we're using it. It doesn't have much honey in it.

I purchased some rose of sharon acres, and I wasn't impressed. I couldn't brush off all of the soap from my back teeth, and was still tasting it hours later. The taste was much less pleasant than the TS.

KerryAnn @ CookingTF dot com - Nutrient dense foods your kids will LOVE!  Real Food Cooking School and Lactofermentation Classes now live! Use coupon code "CTF" for 20% off.

Old 02-11-2008, 11:35 PM

Could you just use Dr. Bronner's soap in place of a tooth soap?
Old 02-11-2008, 11:37 PM

No, it has retained glycerine.

Old 02-12-2008, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krankedyann View Post
No, it has retained glycerine.
Ah, okay. So do you use the perfect prescription tooth soap?
Old 02-12-2008, 12:28 AM

Yes, I do. It's what I recommend. I've tried other tooth soap products, and I keep on going back to it.

Old 02-12-2008, 12:37 AM

Tooth soap also has retained glycerin in it. Here's something I found during my research into this very question. It's a letter from Toothsoap in response to a customer's inquiry. And here is the link to the webpage. You'll need to scroll up to the top to see the reference.

Dear Ann,

Thank you for contacting us with your question.

We do not add any glycerin in the Tooth Soap. We do however, leave in the
retained glycerin. Glycerin in soap would have to be removed chemically,
which we do not do because Tooth Soap is an all natural product.

As stated by Dr. Judd, it is the added glycerin (sometimes up to 55%) that
is the problem with toothpaste. This added glycerin coats the teeth,
preventing re-mineralization.

Our experience has shown that the small amount of naturally occuring
glycerin in Tooth Soap has no detrimental effect whatsoever and it is
basically negligent. Teeth brushed with Tooth Soap are left super clean,
leaving the teeth ready for nutrients in the diet to help re-mineralize the
teeth.

Thank you again for writing to us. We always appreciate all comments and
questions.

Adam, Customer Care

Tooth Soap Support Team
ToothSoap.com
"Feel a difference after just one brushing!"
Old 02-12-2008, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haleyelianasmom View Post
Could you just use Dr. Bronner's soap in place of a tooth soap?
The two things Bronner's contains that TS doesn't are vitamin E and citric acid. The citric acid is most probably MIC tho I haven't checked this thoroughly I'm just assuming since pretty much all citric acid is MIC. I am trying to find out what if any effects citric acid has on the teeth but I'm not coming up with much
Old 02-13-2008, 02:20 AM

So how do we know that glycerin prevents remineralization? I know I've read that statement, but I've never read any supporting research. Can't minerals penetrate the glycerin? Does it really leave a layer on the teeth? And if it does, wouldn't this also protect your teeth against acid damage? And how do we know that retained glycerin is better than added glycerin???

Signed, Confused in Michign
Old 02-13-2008, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haleyelianasmom View Post
Signed, Confused in Michign

DIYer mama to DD 11/00 and DS 6/05- both intact, naturally!
...missing Mothering Magazine...

Old 02-14-2008, 03:33 PM

Google 'glycerin and teeth' and you'll come up with lots of info.
Old 02-15-2008, 12:17 PM

Wow, I can't believe I actually finished reading this whole thread! So my question is I'm taking Halibut liver oil rather than CLO because, being a Canadian Maritimer, I'm still really concerned about over fishing in the cod stocks. I know that CLO has more Vit D in it, mine only has 400 IU and 5,000IU of A, but I'm also taking a Vit D suppliment that has 1,000 IU that's made by webber naturals, it's D3, not D2 which I've read is less effective.

After reading this thread I'm also going to try to find some grass fed butter. I have no idea where to find raw milk here. I live in New Brunswick in Canada and the raw milk site doesn't have any information on NB. Anyone have any ideas?

Another question I have is is Vit K potassium? I very vaguely remember from High school chemistry that K is potassium on the periodic table, I think? If so, is there "X factor" in things like yogurt and bananas? Or is Vit K2 different? \

So much information!
Old 02-16-2008, 01:19 PM

How much Vits A and D are in Nordic Naturals Arctic-D CLO? I could not find info about that on their website.

Also, is Garden of Life clo high enough in Vit D??? I checked their website and it said that the vit d content was 50% of the RDA. Isn't that too low? If so, then whey is it reccomended on the WAPF site??

I'm looking into CLO (that I can buy at the store and not have to buy online) to help my dd's teeth.

Oh and one butter oil question.... So, grass-fed butter is an ok sub for butter oil? How much butter should be eaten a day for help w/ dental probs?

Thanks!!
fyrfly
Old 02-17-2008, 03:44 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
So I've been thinking about controlling the acidity of dd's mouth. She is nursing a lot at night. Even if I was willing to nightwean (dh's big solution ) I'm concerned that dd would end up eating lower-quality foods to replace the lost breastmilk. With a super-stimulating older brother, she doesn't nurse tons during the day. Has anyone tried to alkalinize their child's saliva using dietary means? Dh has successfully maintained alkalinize his urine most of the time for the past few months. Also, apparently breastmilk is alkalinizing, but is it always or can it be more or less alkalinizing depending on the mother's diet ?

sharing life with | 10 yo ds | 8 yo dd | dh (since 2012)
"I am not what happened to me...I am what I choose to become." ~ Carl Jung
Old 02-17-2008, 03:57 PM

ladyinred, if you take more halibut oil to get up to 1600 iu vitd and 20000 iu vita, you'll be in the range recommended on the wap site for pg/nursing mothers. You can read more about vitd recommendations here. Check with your local dairy to see if the cows are pastured in the summer and stock up on butter then if that's the case (you can freeze it). Raw milk is pretty underground in Canada due to legal persecution of producers. You'll have to look pretty hard. The easiest source of raw dairy to get in Canada is raw cheese - you can probably find it if you go to a specialty cheese shop that imports from Europe. The element "K" is potassium. Vitamin K is completely different.

fyrfly, grass-fed butter and butter oil are not the same imo. butter oil has a very strong smell/flavour that isn't just the smell of rancid butter or ghee. OTOH, grass-fed butter would be better than nothing . We are using Natural Factors CLO because it is pretty economical and it's made the same way as Blue Ice.

Old 02-18-2008, 08:27 PM

Just wanted to report back on the rose of sharon acres tooth soap It's a hit here and at 1/2 the price of the other tooth soap we'll be getting it again. Of course, we haven't tasted the original stuff and it may be better than this but the 'r of sa' is working for us.
Old 02-26-2008, 01:47 AM

bump and subbing
Old 02-27-2008, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnelian View Post
Just wanted to report back on the rose of sharon acres tooth soap It's a hit here and at 1/2 the price of the other tooth soap we'll be getting it again. Of course, we haven't tasted the original stuff and it may be better than this but the 'r of sa' is working for us.
So I am looking at this stuff and wondering if it is better than Dr. Bronners? I mean, I get that krankedyann says that the Dr. Bronners contains retained glycerine, but this product says "no added glycerin" which sounds about the same to me.

You can sign me, Also Confused.

♥ blogger astrologer mom to three cool kiddos, and trying to figure out this divorce thing-- Blossom and Glow ♥

Old 02-27-2008, 04:55 PM

I'm confused myself. I'll go over it all again when I'm back home.

The difference between retained glycerin and added can be huge.

We don't like the Rose of Sharon Acres tooth soap because we couldn't get it scrubbed out of our back teeth well enough and tasted soap every time we ate.

Old 02-27-2008, 08:34 PM

I think the issue comes down to taste. Bronner's, Toothsoap and Rose of Sharon Acres tooth soap all have retained glycerin. None of them have added glycerin. However Bronner's also contains citric acid and vitamin E. I'm not sure what the effects of citric acid are on the teeth so I opted for the less expensive RoSA.
Old 02-28-2008, 02:57 PM

I just wanted to post quickly that I love love love CLO, HVBO, and broths! Sierra went for her first ever dentist appt. Monday. She just turned 4 and my holistic dentist who removed my amalgams had said to wait until this age as long as she wasn't having any pain. With all the vomiting and obvious lack of properly digesting and utilizing the nutrients in her diet over the last 3 1/2 years I expected her to have quite a few carries, but was still hoping for good results. No dental carries were found!!!! She also consumes a nutrient dense diet with all the raw fermented dairy and more including at least 6 oz of broth daily.

We've also been using tooth soap for nearly two years to allow for remineralization.
Old 02-28-2008, 09:56 PM

In all of this discussion about soap products for teeth, I got this today. This is a lengthy e-mail from Tooth Soap discussing some of the differences between the products on the market.

Quote:
I am writing to you today because I am upset.
Now I could keep this to myself, but instead I have chosen to express myself and tell you how I feel.

Since the birth of my precious Tooth Soap® I have had to encounter a few IMPOSTORS.

I know it is said that copying is the greatest form of flattery, but I can't help but take it personally when I see someone selling their version of soap for teeth and fooling the public into believing it was their concept. Tooth Soap® has and always will be my baby.

The Tooth Soap® baby not only supports my large family of 11 children (yes, I have 11 now since I married a wonderful man with 9 kiddies!), but it also has helped tens of thousands of people have better teeth and gums. I can't begin to tell you how good I feel when people tell me about their better dental checkups and their healing teeth and gums. I am such a proud Mama. :-)

Now, back to the IMPOSTOR situation.

There are a few copy cats that are out on the web selling their version of Tooth Soap®.
I have no problem whatsoever with soap
makers selling a bar of soap and telling others to brush with it. Brushing with soap is the BEST thing a person can do when it comes to dental care.

BUT, I have a serious problem with a soap maker who takes a bar of soap and shreds it, and calls it Tooth "CHIPS" or any other name that they can come up with to avoid legal problems with my US Trademark. And I have a big problem with a soap maker that steals the directions on how to use the shreds!!

The shredded variety of Tooth Soap® was
the first type I created six years ago. It came about after a lot of thought.

I knew it was important to have SINGLE servings of Tooth Soap®. I wracked my brain for weeks before I ended up putting the Tooth Soap® through the shredder.

When I came up with the shredded concept (or shards as many customers so lovingly call them), I thought it would protect the product somewhat. I mean, if someone started selling shreds and calling them their own it would be SO OBVIOUS that the shredded concept was a stolen idea! I had never heard of or found any one selling shredded soap in a jar for teeth prior to me selling it!

I was wrong in thinking that the little shreds were protected from the IMPOSTORS of the world.

Yes, I do have a Trademark on the name
Tooth Soap® and Tooth Soap® also has a
patent pending. But I cannot stop these
IMPOSTORS from taking an idea that the
Creator gave me and enjoying taking a
free ride on the Tooth Soap® train.

But fortunately I can educate you further on why I believe that Tooth Soap® is superior to any other soap product that is being sold on the web today. I can share with you why you don't want to buy the IMPOSTOR soap, regardless of how much cheaper it is.

In fact, I am now going to let you in on some soap maker secrets that soap makers would never want ANYONE to know!

Here you go:

1. Tooth Soap® is made with ORGANIC
extra virgin olive oil. No IMPOSTOR soaps are made with ORGANIC EVOO. In fact, these IMPOSTOR soaps are not even using EVOO!

And why would they not use EVOO? Because soap makers use POMACE olive oil. Pomace olive oil is not the first pressing, or even the second pressing. It is the last pressing, the stuff you would never even eat. It tastes like garbage. And most importantly, it is DIRT CHEAP.

Sure, a soap maker will say they use POMACE olive oil because it traces quickly (meaning less mixing time), but the real truth is that POMACE olive oil is cheap, cheap, cheap.

Organic EXTRA VIRGIN OLIVE OIL, on the
other hand is VERY EXPENSIVE. Even when
buying it by the barrel it is pricy. And when using Organic EVOO to make soap there is more labor, period. It has to be mixed twice as long as a soap made with cheap pomace olive oil. But I never cared about that.

Back when I used to make the Tooth Soap® myself I took pride in the fact that we were using the BEST ingredients and didn't mind that it took longer to mix. It gave me an opportunity to put more LOVE into the Tooth Soap®!

2. The ONLY, I repeat ONLY packaging that is safe to put TOOTH SOAP® in is AMBER GLASS JARS. WHY? Glass is inert (chemically inactive).
Amber glass also protects the delicate essential oils and keeps the Tooth Soap® fresh. I would never put Tooth Soap® in ALUMINUM CONTAINERS or any type of PLASTIC. It goes without saying that aluminum and plastic are cheap and poor choices for packaging.

Fortunately, the IMPOSTORS are unwisely using aluminum and plastic containers! That is one way you will know they are an IMPOSTOR. Another way is that the label will not mention that the product is distributed by Vitality Products, Inc., in Wyoming.

Only genuine Tooth Soap® is put in glass amber jars and made with ORGANIC extra virgin olive oil.

Only genuine Tooth Soap® is manufactured in beautiful Oregon, in a custom designed commercial kitchen made to the Oregon Dept.
of Agriculture specifications. Our commercial kitchen does not have to be made to those specs, but we went the extra mile when we built it. Our kitchen could manufacture food products, but we only make Tooth Soap® there. AND something else, our kitchen is GLUTEN free. We won't allow anyone to bring a crumb of any food in that kitchen!

Speaking of kitchens, I wonder where the IMPOSTORS are making their soaps?
Perhaps in there own home kitchens?

Or maybe the IMPOSTORS are whipping
up batches of soap in their garages?

3. IMPOSTORS are notorious for not putting their contact info on their web site. What are they hiding from anyway? Don't buy anything from a web site that does not list the name of the company, address and phone number.

Okay, I will stop for now. I think you get my point.

Bottom line is, you are the BEST, and
you deserve only the BEST. And it is my
opinion that Tooth Soap® is the BEST you can do for your teeth and gums.

Don't settle for anything less. I have not settled for less when it came to Tooth Soap® and neither should you.

Tooth Soap® kisses to you,

Karen Adler
CEO and Founder
Vitality Products, Inc.

Old 03-09-2008, 04:56 AM

I've read through this thread, but it's very long, so please forgive me if this has been covered and I missed it. What if you can't do raw dairy? My dd is allergic to dairy, so I wondered what the other alternatives are. Thanks!
Old 03-09-2008, 04:06 PM

Ellarae:
Discussion group for curing cavities without dairy

Old 03-09-2008, 07:57 PM

Thank you Ksenia!
Old 03-11-2008, 02:05 AM

A friend of mine sent me a copy of the Tooth Soap epistle There is a lot of false information included in the note to discredit the Tooth Chip creators. They do use Extra Virgin Olive Oil, (not pomace as accused), and their site clearly states that they make their product in a dedicated building on their property - which is a homestead with children. That's why they don't give out the address - to protect their children. As for the packaging, it's steel covered in tin - which is economical for all of us. Savings to them means savings for our families. If we want little glass jars - transfer the chips. I've tried both and believe me, the price and quality of Rose of Sharon Acres Tooth Chips far surpasses Tooth Soap. My husband and children love them. They are also a homeschooling family...very personable and helpful.
Old 03-11-2008, 08:29 PM

I tried the tooth chips, and I didn't care for them. It's not the product itself, it's the issue of it being solid soap. When I bite down on the solid soap, it sticks in my molars and I wind up tasting soap with my food all day. Yuck. So I don't like the shreds or chips, regardless of who makes them. I prefer liquid soap.

Old 03-13-2008, 02:02 AM

What a superb thread!!!!

I have lots of reading to do!!!

:
Old 03-15-2008, 04:28 PM - Thread Starter

User Tag List