Curing Cavities with Nutrition - Page 23 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#661 of 861 Old 02-13-2009, 04:39 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Off the top of my head I am not sure what NN is... and since you've read the whole thread I guess you have a good idea of all that we are all trying. But as to what the answer is... beats me With all that I am personally doing, my son is still about to go under for a second set of steel caps. And I just noticed yesterday (and nearly cried) that in the last month he has also started to lose enamel in his bottom molars inspite of all my best efforts. NT diet, driving to hell and back to get all the right foods, xylitol regimen, FHVCLO, butter oil, restore tooth paste, ionic tooth brush... I feel totally defeated I am finally giving in and trying to night wean my 28 month old son. It is miserable. He is NOT ready at all. I feel horribly guilty whether I am nursing him and feeling like I am actively dissolving his teeth in his sleep, or trying not to nurse him and having him wailing and sobbing and begging to nurse for 3 and a half hours so far. I tried the "gentle night weaning technique" once before after his first surgery and he wailed for 7 hours a night for 21 days before I gave up, feeling either way like the worst mother in the world. I wish you very good luck on preventing anything this extreme.

Melissa 38 DH 47, Emerson '06, Arrow '09 angel2.gif, and Drake Valan EDD 12/22/10.
#662 of 861 Old 02-13-2009, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grylliade View Post
Do the white spots look like the ones in these pictures?

http://www.fluoridealert.org/dental-fluorosis.htm

If so, then it might be the added fluoride in the water supply causing the spots.
To let you know, since I am in TX too, our natural levels are very high. Most of TX has a level of 4.+ ppm - I believe the recommended safe level is0.1 ppm But our state doesn't add it anywhere that I know of - it is naturally occurring And it causes a lot more problems than just the spots you can see - there is lots of info on that site about it. Make sure you use only reverse osmosis filtered water - not tap water or Britta filtered.

Melissa 38 DH 47, Emerson '06, Arrow '09 angel2.gif, and Drake Valan EDD 12/22/10.
#663 of 861 Old 02-13-2009, 11:38 AM

BTW, does anyone know anywhere I can look, write or call to find dentists in the US that use the Healozone Technology?

#664 of 861 Old 02-13-2009, 11:50 AM

Hey Bellyskeeper, I'm in Houston too! (Sugar Land, actually)

We use the Blue Ice HVCLO, but you're concerned about too much D, right? For us, I'm not, we're got deficiencies up the wazoo with just about everything but, say, even if you supp to get 5,000 or 8,000 IU of A, you're only getting 500-800 IU of D and personally my vote is that that's a reasonable amount from food. A lot of people seem to need _more_ D than they can get from HVCLO (I just ordered a supp for myself) but if you make D in the sun well and are diligent about getting yourself and the kids outside with good swaths of skin showing, you are much more likely to be okay.

My understanding is that goat's milk is just as good as cow's milk (assuming comparably appropriate diets for each), but it won't ever have the yellow look that I hear good cow's milk can (and good butter does) because the goats convert all of the beta-carotene into A, so there's none leftover to use as a visual cue for us (I'm sure that's not their purpose, of course).
#665 of 861 Old 02-13-2009, 12:05 PM

Hey TanyaLopez, I am pretty sure you are in our playgroup - how are you? Okay, so you still use the HVCLO. I may just have to try that. What I need to find out that I do not yet know is what happens with too much vit D. So many things to research. Do you have a pedi dentist you like using? Oh also, what do you use for Vit C?

Well, the white spots do not look like flourosis. We did have a reverse osmosis machine but we did move back in June of 2008 and have not since had one. Hopefully, that will change soon. Thanks for the reality check about tap water. I've let my dh be in charge of that. Time to get back our RO machine myself NN is Nordic Naturals. I use the Junior DHA in liquid form but have read since the beginning of this thread that it is pretty pointless. Here's to a positive attitude about this whole thing
#666 of 861 Old 02-13-2009, 01:12 PM

I haven't gotten us to a dentist yet. I've seen several recommendations go around the various lists, but although I've lurked quite a bit here and various places in the WAPF site because I was concerned we'd be dealing with ECC, we haven't yet. I'm thinking of what we're doing as prevention, and as part of general good health, which we've still got progress needed for.

Nutribiotic sodium ascorbate is sometimes available in the local Whole Foods stores, but it's kinds hit-or-miss. But we go through vast quantities of vitamin C so I buy online, we used to get Bronson's sodium ascorbate, item 50B for a while, but their prices just jumped big-time, so I've switched to Now sodium ascorbate, their 3-pound containers. I just search for low prices on that, there's a lot of variability in pricing. We go through one of those containers about every month.

A positive attitude will get you far! The more I improve my attitude about the stuff we've got going on, the better things get for us. Still need to get the concrete stuff right, but attitude is a huge deal IMO.
#667 of 861 Old 02-13-2009, 01:28 PM

MomtoEmerson, did someone tell you breastmilk is bad for your guy's teeth?
(we had a hygienist tell us that dd's decay happened because she was still nursing when those particular four teeth erupted... )

Check out this dentist, Brian Palmer, 's website:
http://brianpalmerdds.com/caries.htm

from #17:
"Prehistoric skulls, on the other hand, have/had minimal decay in their teeth.[...] Since breastfeeding was the only way of nurturing infants in the past, breastfeeding cannot be accused of causing dental decay today."

I think Palmer makes a lot of sense about a lot of things. It is distressing to see how few dentists understand that we are still mammals who still need our mothers' milk to thrive.

You are not the worst mother in the world! This is really tough stuff.

DIYer mama to DD 11/00 and DS 6/05- both intact, naturally!
...missing Mothering Magazine...

#668 of 861 Old 02-13-2009, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomToEmerson View Post
To let you know, since I am in TX too, our natural levels are very high. Most of TX has a level of 4.+ ppm - I believe the recommended safe level is0.1 ppm But our state doesn't add it anywhere that I know of - it is naturally occurring
I grew up in a part of Dallas that adds fluoride to the water supply. During my last years of living there slight white spots appeared on my teeth. After I moved away the white spots eventually disappeared. Knowing what I know now I am thinking it was a mild case of fluorosis.

Going by the current 'trend', I would say that all of the bigger Texas cities probably add fluoride to the water supply. Because it is so "progressive", you know.

Here is a website that shows whether or not an area fluoridates its water supply:

http://apps.nccd.cdc.gov/MWF/Index.asp

Bellykeepers, have you considered that perhaps it is some sort of a vitamin or mineral deficiency causing the spots?

uc.jpg  lotbirth.gif   waterbirth.jpg 
#669 of 861 Old 02-14-2009, 06:34 AM

Quote:
I feel totally defeated I am finally giving in and trying to night wean my 28 month old son. It is miserable. He is NOT ready at all.

I am so sorry that you are going through this right now. You are not the worst mother in the world - you are Emerson's perfect mommy for him. You love your son and only you know what is truly right for him as far as nursing goes. Trust your insticts. Please keep us posted on your journey. I'll be thinking of you.
#670 of 861 Old 02-14-2009, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grylliade View Post
Bellykeepers, have you considered that perhaps it is some sort of a vitamin or mineral deficiency causing the spots?
You know, I have but where do I start? Up until now I was not supplementing at all b/c I didn't think I needed to. Just recently added the NN CLO and some vit c. as sodium ascorbate. I am slowly increasing the amount. I don't think I had a great store of Vit A in my body while pregnant so...
#671 of 861 Old 02-14-2009, 02:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
So we're doing the WAPF diet, and I just got some Amish cheese from a coop. I had a question about it and did a search online to find the company and stumbled instead on this http://www.realamishcheese.com/raw.htm While I dismiss much of the bashing as ignorance - it does make me pause to see the Listeria deaths... especially the babies.

Quoting here:

2000-2001--In North Carolina, 12 adults were infected with Listeria monocytogenes linked to homemade, Mexican-style fresh soft cheese produced from contaminated raw milk sold by a local dairy farm. Ten of the 12 victims were pregnant women, and infection with the bacterium
resulted in five stillbirths, three premature deliveries, and two infected newborns.

What are your thoughts on this? Now I feel afraid to eat raw milk when I get pregnant, but that is when I'll need it most I need my own cow or goat!
You need to know and trust your milk producer. I also wonder if that North Carolina dairy farm was grass based? What is fed to cows makes a big difference in the bacteria they harbor. What is the farmer feeding to the cows in your milk club?

If you google "listeria monocytogenes meat outbreak" you will see that deli and prepared meats have a much higher incidence of listeria. I think part of the raw milk fear is that it is not as accepted as a regular part of the American diet.

Quote:
"While all dairy (pasteurized and raw) constitutes less than 1 percent of all reported food borne illnesses, the FDA along with the CDC, continue to misuse, manipulate, and suppress data to frighten the public. Their recent 'reminder' against drinking raw milk is no exception," reports Ruth Ann Foster, a North Carolina volunteer chapter leader for the Foundation. "In the majority of cases it is only a coincidence that the individual(s) happened to consume raw milk. For many foodborne outbreaks associated with raw milk, there are frequently a large number of sick individuals who did not consume any raw milk. Still, health officials disregard this important fact and blame the milk. When the FDA, CDC, and state health officials target raw milk, they distract themselves from isolating the true source of illness. The risk of foodborne illness is far greater for many other foods."

Between 1990 and 2004, a CSPI (Center for Science in the Public Interest) report shows a much greater risk from consuming the following foods:

31,496 illnesses, 639 outbreaks from produce (38%)
16,280 illnesses, 541 outbreaks from poultry (20%)
13,220 illnesses, 467 outbreaks from beef (16%)
11,027 illnesses, 341 outbreaks from eggs (13%)
9,969 illnesses, 984 outbreaks from seafood (12%)

http://www.realmilk.com/press-release-12mar07.html
And in many cases pasturized milk has been shown to be a carrier of illness:
http://www.realmilk.com/foodborne.html

I thought testing for Q fever was a regular part of state certification processes for licensed dairies?
#672 of 861 Old 02-14-2009, 06:10 PM

Quote:

Quoting here:

2000-2001--In North Carolina, 12 adults were infected with Listeria monocytogenes linked to homemade, Mexican-style fresh soft cheese produced from contaminated raw milk sold by a local dairy farm. Ten of the 12 victims were pregnant women, and infection with the bacterium
resulted in five stillbirths, three premature deliveries, and two infected newborns.

What are your thoughts on this? Now I feel afraid to eat raw milk when I get pregnant, but that is when I'll need it most I need my own cow or goat!

We are in NC and a couple of years ago, this was all refuted as inaccurate media spin. We get raw milk from SC, just over the border and drink it every day. I am totally comfortable giving it to my child. I can't find the exact article. But, this helps explain it: http://www.realmilk.com/press-release-12mar07.html

Here are outbreaks of listeria in PASTEURIZED milk: http://www.realmilk.com/foodborne.html

You might just culture the milk. Kefir appears to inhibit the growth of E. coli. http://lib.bioinfo.pl/auth:Vinderola,CG

Ecoli, listeria, and salmonella could not grow in kefir. http://tmc.dergisi.org/pdf/pdf_TMC_279.pdf

Same with kombucha. The antimicrobial activity of Kombucha was investigated against a number of pathogenic microorganisms. Staphylococcus aureus, Shigella sonnei, Escherichia coli, Aeromonas hydrophila, Yersinia enterolitica,
Pseudomonas aeruginosa, Enterobacter cloacae, Staphylococcus epidermis, Campylobacter jejuni, Salmonella enteritidis, Salmonella typhimurium, Bacillus cereus, Helicobacterpylori, and Listeria monocytogenes were found to be sensitive to Kombucha.
http://www.organic-kombucha.com/komb...l_studies.html

NONE of those probiotics exist in sterilized, heat pasteurized milk. Those probiotics are necessary to our gut health and our immune system.Pat

Pat

I have a blog.
#673 of 861 Old 02-16-2009, 02:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellyskeeper View Post
You know, I have but where do I start? Up until now I was not supplementing at all b/c I didn't think I needed to. Just recently added the NN CLO and some vit c. as sodium ascorbate. I am slowly increasing the amount. I don't think I had a great store of Vit A in my body while pregnant so...
I've done a bit of searching on the internet. Calcium deficiency is being mentioned a lot in regards to the white spots on teeth. Have you considered that?

Also, I don't know if it would be of any help, but I came across this old thread:

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=827652

uc.jpg  lotbirth.gif   waterbirth.jpg 
#674 of 861 Old 02-26-2009, 08:18 PM

My 4.5yo had his checkup today, and he has 4 cavities, all on his lower molars. One of them is also inbetween his teeth. I've been loosely following WAP's protocol, but I have to get really serious.

His teeth are pretty crowded - I should've been flossing daily. There's a spot inbetween his upper molars that look questionable.

6 mths ago it was just a stain on one of his molars. I don't know what happened since then. This time they took bitewing xrays of his molars, so maybe those cavities were there before.

The dentist said they were small, so I'm going to put my whole heart and energy into this. I didn't make an appt yet.

Oh, is it normal to not let parents in the room when they're doing work on him? That bothers me a little. They do nitrous oxide.

Can cavities inbetween the teeth be cured as well?

Thanks.

~Katie
#675 of 861 Old 02-27-2009, 11:10 PM

Hey Katie,

I've been really surprised that we haven't ended up in a similar situation, given the raw materials my kids started with.

Beyond diet, given your health situation, I'd really consider supplements. My kids had a lot of deficiencies, a few blatantly obvious including a couple fat-soluble vitamins, but some minerals too, and overcoming the deficiencies, plus overcoming the things that weren't working right because of the mercury, I feel like we need supps in addition to good food.

Also--how's your son's gut? Seems like a biggie for absorbing supps and foods. Kimchee has been really helpful for my daughter's gut, but none of us have as much gut dysbiosis as should be expected.

I get the impression from other threads that there are a fair number of dentists that don't let parents back (not sure if it's different for exams vs filling cavities), and I just couldn't be comfortable with that. I'm grateful I haven't had to do the search, though, because it sounds like it's been real work for some parents.

Try not to stress, as much as possible, and focus on the positive things you're doing.
#676 of 861 Old 02-27-2009, 11:59 PM

I would never allow my young child to go back to a dental appointment of any nature, without me with him. We've been to three different dental practices over the years and it has never been an issue. Just seek out a dentist who respects parent's desire and right to be available to comfort their child during an invasive procedure in their mouth.

Pat

I have a blog.
#677 of 861 Old 02-28-2009, 09:26 AM

Hey, Tanya. I think you're right on. I truly believe DS's mercury exposure led to the teeth issues indirectly. We were fighting yeast for a while which was most likely due to mercury (he ate seafood once a week or less), and this caused gut issues that led to mineral deficiencies.

He's been on a slew of supplements, one of them a whole food one that contains a lot of trace minerals, but I don't think it's enough. I started giving him my multi-mineral supplement. And I had actually just started giving him K2 supplements just a few weeks ago.

Our chiro recommended Standard Process Bio-Dent. The guy who came up w/ Standard Process was Weston Price's friend!

And he just started going to NAET, and of course he was allergic to everything, so I just had him treated for minerals.

One of the molars has a white area that's pretty large on the surface (I actually wondered what it was a while ago - now I know!). I hope this will help reverse some of it. I'm going to give it a month.

And it's sad that there are only 2 ped dentists in my area, and I take him to one of them (out of our insurance network), and the other one doesn't even take insurance. Not a huge issue, but they both still use amalgams in some cases, and I don't even feel comfortable stepping into a building that uses amalgams. I did get info on somewhat of a holistic dentist who's not on any list or anything, but our WAP chapter organizer goes to him and said he's pretty holistic, but I'm not sure if he'll take kids.

~Katie
#678 of 861 Old 03-02-2009, 12:34 AM

Hello - I have not gotten through all of the posts on this topic yet, but look forward to reading more. I am very impressed and a little overwhelmed by all of the information. We have been dealing with teeth issues with my son (now 4) since he was 17 months old. We had caps placed on his front 4 teeth under general anesthesia. I wish I had the information then that I see now. It was a very traumatic experience. Mostly, things have been under control but am now seeing a change and a progression in 3 molars. I am very interested in using the nutritional ideas I have seen here. I did want to say that I have seen a lot about what to use to brush the children's teeth with. The research I have done (doesn't mean it is all correct) is that xylitol products are great to use because it will fight the strep mutans bacteria. We have always used Spry infant tooth gel. Also, there is a remineralizing paste that is supposed to help in the process - we use MI paste. I know that this is mostly geared toward the nutritional aspect of things - but every bit can help.
#679 of 861 Old 03-02-2009, 12:47 AM

I just wanted to say to MomtoEmerson - I had several dentists tell me that I was causing my son's decay by breastfeeding him. We went to a dentist who started out by telling me that I needed to stop breastfeeding and went on and on about what damage I was causing him, then after looking at his teeth said that his teeth were hard - even though they didn't look great, and that whatever I was doing was working. Everything I have found has said that you need to brush the child's teeth before bed to ensure that all food has been removed because it can be the combination of food and breastmilk that can cause a problem. If the teeth have been brushed and clean from other food, you should be fine to breastfeed. Breastmilk has so many amazing qualities, many we don't even know. If you and your child are not ready to wean - don't let the doctors who only go by the book or from what a teacher told them in school be your deciding factor! I wish you good luck!
#680 of 861 Old 03-04-2009, 07:02 PM

UPDATE: Emerson had his surgery this morning and is recovering very well. Happily I can report that what we are doing IS working. The effected teeth had improved and slightly less work was required than initially thought I have stopped using the Ionic toothbrush as it seemed to have reversed some remineralizing that had been taking place, but am using the Restore toothpaste and feel it is very effective.

As for the night weaning, Emerson actually seems ready and has not really had issues with it this time thank goodness. When we go to bed he tells me "I don't nurse in bed. Nurse full boobies in the morning." and then snuggles up with me. And since that is the only change I made which coincided with the decay finally stopping, I can only assume that in my son's case it was a contributing factor. His teeth were always cleaned before going to bed, but it didn't matter. But he still nurses like a fiend all the waking hours of the day with lots of flossing and brushing too. So he's getting plenty of the good stuff he needs during the hours when I can properly clean his teeth afterward. Also, my dentist mentioned that he is hearing chatter about licorice helping with teeth and to do some research on that. So I will. And I am waiting for info on a Dentist in Texas that uses Healozone.

#681 of 861 Old 03-06-2009, 02:02 AM

Found the licorice extract lollipop that my dentist was referencing and have ordered 40 to give them a try http://www.drjohns.com/index.html They currently only come in orange flavor.

"Kavity Kops Lollipops

Dr. John's Candies has an excellent reputation of providing superb quality and delicious sugar free candy to the dental and medical community for over 12 years.

Now, Dr. John's Candies, in collaboration with C3 Jian and its Intelliherb™ extract, has combined their great tasting, orange-flavored sugar free candy formula with ground breaking cavity fighting herbal extracts to offer you... Kavidy Kops™ with glyactiv.

One Kavidy Kop™ with Glylic™ in in the morning and one lollipop in the evening, for 10 days, disables tooth decay bacteria for 3 to 6 months. Therefore, use a 20-Pack between 2 and 4 times per year, depending upon your Caries Risk Assessment category, to maintain effectiveness.

Herbal treatments have been used in traditional Chinese medicine for over 3,000 years. Recently, after years of testing herbs associated with oral health, microbiologists from the Department of Oral Biology at the UCLA School of Dentistry have identified a specific herbal formula extracted from the Chinese licorice root that targets and disables the major organisms (Streptococcus mutans and sobrinus) that cause tooth decay.

Combining the precise amount of Glylic™ powered by Intelliherb™ with Dr. John's Candies' great tasting, orange-flavored sugar free recipe, creates a lollipop that temporarily defeats the bacteria that cause cavities!

For more scientific information on Kavidy Kops™ with Glylic™ go to:

http://www.intelliherb.com/ "

#682 of 861 Old 03-06-2009, 02:05 AM

MomToEmerson, I'm glad the nightweaning went well, and I'm glad the work you had done went smoothly! Yay!
#683 of 861 Old 03-06-2009, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanyaLopez View Post
MomToEmerson, I'm glad the nightweaning went well, and I'm glad the work you had done went smoothly! Yay!
Thanks so much

#684 of 861 Old 03-06-2009, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Found the licorice extract lollipop that my dentist was referencing and have ordered 40 to give them a try http://www.drjohns.com/index.html They currently only come in orange flavor.

Kavity Kops Lollipops
Licorice acts like a steroid in the body.

Ingredients of Dr. John's Herbal Lollipops:
Hydrogenated Starch Hydrolysate (HSH), Citric acid, Natural orange flavor, colors FD&C Yellow #6, Acesulfame potassium, herbal ingredient extracts of glycyrrhiza uralensis in proprietary concentrations.
http://www.sugarfreecandyman.com/20-...-dr-johns.html

Quote:
Side Effects and Warnings
Licorice contains a chemical called glycyrrhizic acid, which is responsible for many of the reported side effects. DGL (deglycyrrhizinated licorice) has had the glycyrrhizic acid removed, and therefore is considered safer for use.
Many of the adverse effects of licorice result from actions on hormone levels in the body. By altering the activities of certain hormones, licorice may cause electrolyte disturbances. Possible effects include sodium and fluid retention, low potassium levels, and metabolic alkalosis.

Electrolyte abnormalities may also lead to irregular heartbeats, heart attack, kidney damage, muscle weakness, or muscle breakdown. Licorice should be used cautiously by people with congestive heart failure, coronary heart disease, kidney or liver disease, fluid retention (edema), high blood pressure, underlying electrolyte disturbances, hormonal abnormalities, or those taking diuretics.

Hormonal imbalances have been reported with the use of licorice, such as abnormally low testosterone levels in men or high prolactin levels and estrogen levels in women. However, study results conflict. These adverse effects may reduce fertility or cause menstrual abnormalities.

Reduced body fat mass has been observed with the use of licorice, but weight gain is also possible. Acute pseudo-aldosteronism syndrome has been associated with licorice. Paralysis has been reported in a patient taking licorice that contributed to low potassium levels. Thyrotoxic periodic paralysis (TPP) has been associated with licorice. Metabolic alkalosis and seizure has been reported from licorice in antacid.

Licorice has been reported to cause high blood pressure, including dangerously high blood pressure with symptoms such as headache, nausea, vomiting, and hypertensive encephalopathy with stroke-like effects (for example, one-sided weakness).

High doses of licorice may cause temporary vision problems or loss. Ocular side effects have been reported. Central retinal vein occlusion has been associated with licorice. A case report exists of licorice-induced hypokalemia associated with dropped head syndrome (DHS).
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/d...-licorice.html
http://www.tamingthemonkeymind.com/w...20Licorice.pdf
http://klemow.wilkes.edu/Glycyrrhiza.html

Pat

I have a blog.
#685 of 861 Old 03-10-2009, 05:23 PM

I just need a quick list of what to get? please help me....I have read this thread and its awesome but its so much for me to take in My 22 mth old has tooth decay on her 4 front teeth and her 2 back molars, pedi dentist wants me to have her put under to fill her front teeth and give her baby root canels for her molars, I disagree w/this and want to reverse or at least stop the decay...please help? I bought Spry spray, but I am not sure what else to use? Should I use the Cod Liver Oil liquid for me and her? Anything else?

Julie (34)
Mom to 3 boys + 3 girls = PERFECTION joy.gif
Collector of TOYS!
#686 of 861 Old 03-10-2009, 08:40 PM

I have a post here with same info but you can see my blog here http://familypendragonshop.blogspot....r-regimen.html with a list and links. We have since added Kavity Kops Lollipops and Restore Toothpaste. We have stopped using the ionic tootbrush. Feel free to contact me for any help I can give you. I feel your pain

#687 of 861 Old 03-10-2009, 09:00 PM

Some interesting if conflicting information on licorice. I have put a call in to Dr Johns to see if I can determine a dosage level in a sucker. Apparently, from reading some of your links, 10 - 12 mg per day is considered safe even for sensitive individuals. So I'll see what is in 2 suckers a day. Certainly herbal medicines can have side effects too. But used properly they can also be beneficial. We all have to determine for our selves what does the least harm. I would think that trace doses of licorice would be better than the repeated doses of general anesthesia and morphine for my 2 year old son.

#688 of 861 Old 03-10-2009, 11:17 PM

Melissa - I just read your blog page. We were recommended Standard Process Catalyn and Bio-Dent too! How many of each does your son take? Mine is 4.5yo, and he takes 2 Catalyns (this one seems to give him lots of energy, so can't give him too many), and 2 Bio-Dents twice a day.

I see spots on his teeth, especially between some of his front teeth, that are powdery white like you explained. I thought the hygienist missed a few spots when cleaning his teeth. So I bought a scaler and tried to scrape it off, but it's still there. So I think they're going to turn into cavities. I THINK the whites are getting smaller, so I still have some hope! But why didn't the hygienist or the dentist say anything about them? Hmmmm....

And I now see brown spots on his molars where they used to be white. If I remember from several pages back, that's a sign that the cavities are going away, is that right? I'm going to go look for that page...

~Katie
#689 of 861 Old 03-10-2009, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FluffiB View Post
Melissa - I just read your blog page. We were recommended Standard Process Catalyn and Bio-Dent too! How many of each does your son take? Mine is 4.5yo, and he takes 2 Catalyns (this one seems to give him lots of energy, so can't give him too many), and 2 Bio-Dents twice a day.

I see spots on his teeth, especially between some of his front teeth, that are powdery white like you explained. I thought the hygienist missed a few spots when cleaning his teeth. So I bought a scaler and tried to scrape it off, but it's still there. So I think they're going to turn into cavities. I THINK the whites are getting smaller, so I still have some hope! But why didn't the hygienist or the dentist say anything about them? Hmmmm....

And I now see brown spots on his molars where they used to be white. If I remember from several pages back, that's a sign that the cavities are going away, is that right? I'm going to go look for that page...
These are a fight with him. The days I can grind it and get the vitamins in him in juice he gets one of each. But when I can't get them into him I will give him 2 chewable ones by Nature's Plus - Animal shaped ones from the local healthfood store. I can't say what the various spots are in your case, but I can tell you our sequence seemed to be white chalky spots (apparently decalcification) which became tan spots (apparently loss of enamel) and then pits. Once we hit the tan stage the pits formed very quickly and basically hollowed out the centers of his molars.

Our morning ritual right now is:

1 ml fermented cod liver oil floating on a little organic blueberry juice in a condiment cup the size of a shot glass with a vitamin k2 drop in it.

1 tsp Natural Calm magnesium baby supplement in a cup of reverse osmosis filtered water. (Or mixed with the vitamins below)

Vitamins powdered in a little blueberry juice with some Acerola powder. Or 2 chewable multis.

Kefir with raw honey or raw milk depending on what he will drink that day.

Either sprouted grain bread toast from Food for Life, homemade soaked grain pancakes, or some other product and can make to smear raw butter oil onto to get that into him. Or an egg scrambled with some raw milk cheese on it. Or some Applegate farms Sunday bacon. I try to find a way to also get some coconut oil into him during the day too. He also loves apples sliced really thin with a dip I make by mixing kefir, nut butter and coconut oil. Sadly, he refuses to eat cheese now. I don't know why... he loved it. Now he doesn't, LOL!

#690 of 861 Old 03-11-2009, 12:18 AM

I've been having to crush up my son's vitamins and mixing w/ apple sauce. He requested it that way.

He won't eat raw milk cheese - the taste is too strong. My DH hates it too. Oh well - more for me!

What kind of K2 drops do you use? I found K2 + D3 "dots" by Twin Labs. It's MK7 so stays in his system longer. I have to watch to make sure he won't have clotting problems. I upped his C intake, and that should help, I hope.

~Katie

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page