Curing Cavities with Nutrition - Page 29 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#841 of 861 Old 10-09-2011, 07:22 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awaken View Post
Oh, YAY, so glad to hear this!!  We currently get the green pastures FCLO through our farm food delivery for a discount, I will have to see if that flavor is on the list!  If not, it still sounds worth it to buy directly via the website.  I just hated to buy another flavor, and find out it was just as bad and have them reject it.  So glad to hear it is actually better-tasting!   

The cinnamon flavor is only in the Butter Oil/FCLO combo, so look there. It's called the "Royal Blend". Don't get the chocolate flavor; it tastes awful. And I also soften the "spiciness" of the cinnamon for my two year old by putting a little dollop of honey on top. An older child might not need that, though.

Mama to two sweet boys, a 7yo superhero.gif and a toddler coolshine.gif.

The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift. - Albert Einstein

#842 of 861 Old 10-29-2011, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngeK View Post

A quick question for those who have healed cavities with nutrition... is there a point when the cavity is too far gone to be helped with nutrition? Are there any stories of people reversing really deep cavities?

I am wondering this also. I have a cavity that is starting to really hurt and no insurance or money to take care of it. I am also vegetarian so some of the main things are out for me. I am thinking I will get some calc phos, xylotol, D3, nettles, and bentonite clay and go from there. Any other suggestions for a vegetarian?

Cheryl, wife to an amazing man, homeschooling SAHM to Gavin 12/03, Rhys 09/06, and Ian Aug 11, 2010.

#843 of 861 Old 01-05-2012, 01:08 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I had a big cavity a few years ago, had it filled but have always been told that it may need a root canal, ug. I've been wap/primal for some time but was getting pretty lax and had several teeth that were starting to hurt. My 'bad' tooth was starting to throb. I was so worried about what I would do. I got aggressive with the bo/clo and before bed I would have a mug of broth, take my fclo and rub bo all over my teeth and gums. In maybe 4 days I was feeling SO much better. I am thrilled but I really need to commit to staying on-track.

I don't really have any suggestions for a vegetarian protocol. Do you eat butter? I would include lots of grass-fed butter if you can. D3 is an animal product, I believe but it is very important for healing teeth! Good luck!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciascl View Post

I am wondering this also. I have a cavity that is starting to really hurt and no insurance or money to take care of it. I am also vegetarian so some of the main things are out for me. I am thinking I will get some calc phos, xylotol, D3, nettles, and bentonite clay and go from there. Any other suggestions for a vegetarian?

countryangels likes this.
#844 of 861 Old 01-05-2012, 01:25 PM

I don't know much about it, but some D3 supplements are derived from lanolin!

Vegetarian, but not vegan.

Eggs from pastured chickens can be a good source, too.

DIYer mama to DD 11/00 and DS 6/05- both intact, naturally!
...missing Mothering Magazine...

#845 of 861 Old 01-22-2012, 04:41 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Can anybody recommend a source of butter oil in Canada?  Or will ship to Canada without costing an arm and leg? :) I found a source who will ship the capsules to here, but the kids can't swallow capsules easily (strong gag reflex) so I would like to get straight butter oil.

I assume eating ghee (regular butter oil) won't help?  Those are available everywhere here.

Mom to 2 beautiful autistic boys (12 & 11)  
#846 of 861 Old 02-14-2012, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koalamom View Post

Just that I have tried both and saw amazing results with the clay and not so much with the herbal powder. I prefer my herbs infused for the benefits and not sure how dried powdered herbs are long term. Not that they are harmful but that I am not sure how it is beneficial. But the clay on the other hand is beneficial.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mombh View Post

just chiming in here that we have had good results with clay. I have personally healed a tooth by packing it with clay every night and I have since started brushing  ds  (2 1/2)  before bedtime. I have been  trying to actually paste 2 of his molars ( they have the most decay) but with a squirming toddler it is not really working. I also give him the pasicalite internally. I also give him xylitol and calc phos.

Anyone have any ideas as to why with such decay he does not seem to be in pain at all?

Anyone know about acidic being condusive to decay and alkaline, not?

I am confused. Which clay is it? I've seen pescalite and bentonite mentioned but I can't tell which one I should be getting. I have acess to a great deal on bentonite and have been unable to find pescalite. Should I get the bentonite or is it not worth it?

Cheryl, wife to an amazing man, homeschooling SAHM to Gavin 12/03, Rhys 09/06, and Ian Aug 11, 2010.

#847 of 861 Old 02-16-2012, 04:16 PM

Some prefer bentonite, some prefer green clay, some pascalite. Most people who have tried pascalite prefer it VERY much. It's got something, just something... But, it IS more expensive. You can get it here. Yep, you seriously have to call to order. http://www.pascalite.com/ I'd say try your bentonite deal first, get into a routine using it, then maybe try the little bag/bottle of pascalite to compare. GL!

FAs, co-sleeping, babywearing, extended nursing, positive parenting, homeschooler

#848 of 861 Old 05-19-2012, 10:02 PM

Finally finished the thread after 3 weeks of on and off reading.  So happy to have found all this great info.  Thank you!

My 26 month old daughter has 3-4 cavities, all on molars.  My 5 y.o. DS has never had any.  We had an appointment to have them drilled and sealed and it didn't feel right so we cancelled.  She had been traumatized at the dentist when we first when for the exam.  We are going to see if we can halt or reverse decay through food and supplements.  Feel nervous but optimistic.  A few questions:

1) I'd like to find a great holistic dentist who is familiar with a lot of the info. on this thread whom I can consult about a "wait and see" plan.  A dentist within a couple hours of either Houston, TX, or NYC (where my family lives, and we visit frequently enough).  Any suggestions?

2) This thread began years ago -- would anyone be willing to share their success story with me?  I could use some reassurance that this is really possible and that I'm not being a totally neglectful parent for not getting these filled immediately.

3) Xylitol -- I am now on the fence about using this.  Any input?  Would you use it again?  Did you stop using it?

4) Does anyone know if there is phosphorous in seltzer?  We drink A LOT of seltzer in this house and have for years.  This includes the kids.  Is it possible it is depleting our calcium intake somehow?  We don't drink any soda.

5) Does anyone have more info./insights into the approach to kids' cavities in Europe vs. here? Is it true that dentists here are more aggressive when it comes to (unnecessary?) drilling?

The stuff about the sugar levels Jane posted some pages back was super interesting to me... I am something of a sugar addict and have spent most of my life on a blood sugar rollercoaster.  Also a bit anemic, have fatigue problems, etc.  I really wonder if this has something to do with all the cavities I've had in recent years and now my DD's.  I guess I should get tested for deficiencies.

I also find it interesting that so many people who posted on this thread were vegans or vegetarians for long stretches of time.  We have been veg. and mostly vegan for the past year and I wonder if it may have contributed to or exacerbated the problem.  We eat little sugar, almost all organic, not much processed food, tons of veg and fruits, no added stuff, and my kids are good eaters -- they try stuff and are generally adventurous.  Because of DS and his teeth I did not suspect this problem would arise with DD.

DD and I also did have antibiotics when I got mastitis when DD was 2 months.  And DS and I are gluten-intolerant so DD may be too... I have been slowly putting a lot together after reading this thread.

Our plan of attack (please tell me if I should add to or change any of this!):

unlimited raw milk, cheese, butter, yogurt, kefir (my kids love raw dairy and I am lucky we have access to it)
pasture raised eggs
bone broth (haven't done this yet)
begin offering meat to the kids; me start eating beef daily (I'm still nursing)
HVCLO (ordered from Green Pasture) (we've been using the inferior NN one, my kids will eat it in cold apple sauce -- though they eat it with a puzzled expression)
HWBO (will order from Green Pasture when back in stock; for now ghee)
limit non-soaked grains, limit sugar, limit beans and nuts
lots of green veggies, sweet potatoes, and carrots
look into seafood options -- mussels, oysters, clams, roe, etc.
celtic sea salt
seaweed (my kids stuff this in their mouths and scream for more... is this a sign of a deficiency?!)
try to get DD to drink water after meals
cell salt hylands #2 calc phos 6x (3x/day) 
Concentrace trace mineral drops in our filtered water
brushing teeth before bed with water, no toothpaste (DD isn't night weaned or I would try the cheese before bed!)
---
hylands #1 calc fluor (?)
K2 supp (?)
vitamin c supp (?)
MI paste 1x at night (?)
xylitol 5x/day (?)
pascalite clay (?)
toothsoap (?)
dental essentials drops (? I ordered some but not sure if it will be overkill...)

TIA for your advice!
Kate
#849 of 861 Old 11-10-2012, 07:14 PM

Just found this thread... going to try to read through everything tonight. We first noticed that DD had a cavity last month on two of her molars and now a new one today on her front tooth. After reading a bunch about the importance of dairy it all makes sense because this occurred right after we had her diagnosed with food allergies (rice, dairy, wheat, soy, chicken, pork, green beans)

Does anyone have any advice on how to do this without the dairy?! We have a dentist appointment on Tuesday and I'm terrified about what they'll say.

#850 of 861 Old 11-11-2012, 05:27 AM - Thread Starter

Monkeybean, I would use the Thorne vitamin K2 which is not from dairy or soy - plus high amounts of minerals.  The Thorne is MK4 formof K2, which needs to be dosed 3x per day.  The MK7 form (in fermented foods: cheese and natto) lasts longer in the body and only needs to be dosed 1x per day.  Jarrow K2 is a good source of MK7 but it is from soy.

The new book "Calcium Paradox" is excellent at explaining vitamin K2... how it disappeared from the diet, exactly how it activates minerals to be put into bones/teeth and dosage recommendations.  Also the importance of the vit D, vit A, vit K2 fat soluble nutrient triad.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1118065727/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=1118065727&linkCode=as2&tag=ggbc-20

#851 of 861 Old 11-11-2012, 03:48 PM

FYI to those following this thread you may want to sign up for the Facebook group Natural Alternatives for Kids Teeth.  Lots of discussion about all of the info. in this thread there, and it's an active group.  You can ask questions and get responses quickly.

#852 of 861 Old 11-12-2012, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmm2v View Post

FYI to those following this thread you may want to sign up for the Facebook group Natural Alternatives for Kids Teeth.  Lots of discussion about all of the info. in this thread there, and it's an active group.  You can ask questions and get responses quickly.

But please don't abandon this thread as not all of us are FB users! :)

Homeschoolin' Mama chicken3.gifto Dd1 2/3/00, Dd2 1/13/03, Ds1 3/11/06 & Ds2 11/18/10!!
#853 of 861 Old 11-12-2012, 05:12 AM

I forgot that I wanted to mention black walnut (green hulls.) You can make or buy a tincture and add a dropper or two to water and swish it around in your mouth and then swallow it (it works internally as well as topically.) There are some made with glycerin which is said to coat the teeth and PREVENT remineralization, so I would avoid that form. I've read some amazing stories about healing decay with black walnut. There's also a powder form that can be added to homemade tooth powders for brushing. I've made an herbal tooth powder that the kids love and it healed a sensitive spot that I had within a few days and it never returned.

Homeschoolin' Mama chicken3.gifto Dd1 2/3/00, Dd2 1/13/03, Ds1 3/11/06 & Ds2 11/18/10!!
#854 of 861 Old 11-13-2012, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneS View Post

Monkeybean, I would use the Thorne vitamin K2 which is not from dairy or soy - plus high amounts of minerals.  The Thorne is MK4 formof K2, which needs to be dosed 3x per day.  The MK7 form (in fermented foods: cheese and natto) lasts longer in the body and only needs to be dosed 1x per day.  Jarrow K2 is a good source of MK7 but it is from soy.

The new book "Calcium Paradox" is excellent at explaining vitamin K2... how it disappeared from the diet, exactly how it activates minerals to be put into bones/teeth and dosage recommendations.  Also the importance of the vit D, vit A, vit K2 fat soluble nutrient triad.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1118065727/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=1118065727&linkCode=as2&tag=ggbc-20

Thank you! Thank you! I'm ordering that right now!

We just got back from our first appointment and of course they want to do fillings and recommended brushing with a flouride toothpaste. I feel sick about all of this. I really hope I an heal them before it comes to that. We have started giving her a cod liver oil supplement- it's the only one I could find locally that was allergy free- Nordic Natural's DHA liquid supplement but it has a strawberry flavor added to it. Do you think this is ok? We have also started a more meat/egg/veggie heavy diet. Thank you so much for this thread and advice!

#855 of 861 Old 02-08-2013, 07:51 AM

Metasequoia, could you please pm me? I have some questions.

#856 of 861 Old 02-25-2013, 07:45 PM

Thanks, Mamas, for all the wonderful info! I just noticed the white lines on my almost 14 mo. old's teeth and have been in panic mode... so grateful for other Mama's willing to share their stories/research :)

I have a couple questions...

1. Is the FCLO/BO blend as good as taking them separate? I thought I read something about that, but I had about 15 diff links open and I couldn't find what it...

2. Does anyone know about Bone Mineral Powder? Is it close to what you would get in a bone broth? I was trying to find a Cal/Mag/Phos supplement to take, but there were about 500 choices at the health food store. I found the BMP down in the corner... and it looked promising. Is it something I could give to my DS, too? (I haven't googled it yet!)

Thanks!

aj- married to JA and mami to Bug (11/09) and Critter (1/12)!

#857 of 861 Old 03-07-2013, 06:06 AM

What about Hyland's Bioplasma? Or would it be better to just get the individual calc fluor/phos?

#858 of 861 Old 04-08-2013, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabbyraja View Post

Some prefer bentonite, some prefer green clay, some pascalite. Most people who have tried pascalite prefer it VERY much. It's got something, just something... But, it IS more expensive. You can get it here. Yep, you seriously have to call to order. http://www.pascalite.com/ I'd say try your bentonite deal first, get into a routine using it, then maybe try the little bag/bottle of pascalite to compare. GL!

I don't see any clay on that site.  Are you suppose to use one of their products to make the clay?

#859 of 861 Old 04-08-2013, 07:18 PM

Can anyone show me a source to get the clay to put directly on the decaying teeth?  

I am having a really hard time finding one.

#860 of 861 Old 04-10-2013, 06:31 PM

So in my googling, I read that the benonite clay needs to be mixed with activated charcoal, is that right?  Before putting it on the affected teeth?

I found this on amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0072KF2CC/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2PLP4BOVOPKB4

It is the only food grade one I could find.  I assume since its going in your mouth that it needs to be food grade, right?

Is the charcoal neccessary?  Amazon says that that this clay is frequently bought with this charcoal powder: http://www.amazon.com/Activated-Charcoal-Powder-16oz-Pound/dp/B0026XWKKM/ref=pd_bxgy_hpc_text_y

So, is the clay that people are talking about?

#861 of 861 Old 04-15-2013, 04:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmm2v View Post

Finally finished the thread after 3 weeks of on and off reading.  So happy to have found all this great info.  Thank you!

My 26 month old daughter has 3-4 cavities, all on molars.  My 5 y.o. DS has never had any.  We had an appointment to have them drilled and sealed and it didn't feel right so we cancelled.  She had been traumatized at the dentist when we first when for the exam.  We are going to see if we can halt or reverse decay through food and supplements.  Feel nervous but optimistic.  A few questions:

1) I'd like to find a great holistic dentist who is familiar with a lot of the info. on this thread whom I can consult about a "wait and see" plan.  A dentist within a couple hours of either Houston, TX, or NYC (where my family lives, and we visit frequently enough).  Any suggestions?

2) This thread began years ago -- would anyone be willing to share their success story with me?  I could use some reassurance that this is really possible and that I'm not being a totally neglectful parent for not getting these filled immediately.

3) Xylitol -- I am now on the fence about using this.  Any input?  Would you use it again?  Did you stop using it?

4) Does anyone know if there is phosphorous in seltzer?  We drink A LOT of seltzer in this house and have for years.  This includes the kids.  Is it possible it is depleting our calcium intake somehow?  We don't drink any soda.

5) Does anyone have more info./insights into the approach to kids' cavities in Europe vs. here? Is it true that dentists here are more aggressive when it comes to (unnecessary?) drilling?

The stuff about the sugar levels Jane posted some pages back was super interesting to me... I am something of a sugar addict and have spent most of my life on a blood sugar rollercoaster.  Also a bit anemic, have fatigue problems, etc.  I really wonder if this has something to do with all the cavities I've had in recent years and now my DD's.  I guess I should get tested for deficiencies.

I also find it interesting that so many people who posted on this thread were vegans or vegetarians for long stretches of time.  We have been veg. and mostly vegan for the past year and I wonder if it may have contributed to or exacerbated the problem.  We eat little sugar, almost all organic, not much processed food, tons of veg and fruits, no added stuff, and my kids are good eaters -- they try stuff and are generally adventurous.  Because of DS and his teeth I did not suspect this problem would arise with DD.

DD and I also did have antibiotics when I got mastitis when DD was 2 months.  And DS and I are gluten-intolerant so DD may be too... I have been slowly putting a lot together after reading this thread.

Our plan of attack (please tell me if I should add to or change any of this!):

unlimited raw milk, cheese, butter, yogurt, kefir (my kids love raw dairy and I am lucky we have access to it)
pasture raised eggs
bone broth (haven't done this yet)
begin offering meat to the kids; me start eating beef daily (I'm still nursing)
HVCLO (ordered from Green Pasture) (we've been using the inferior NN one, my kids will eat it in cold apple sauce -- though they eat it with a puzzled expression)
HWBO (will order from Green Pasture when back in stock; for now ghee)
limit non-soaked grains, limit sugar, limit beans and nuts
lots of green veggies, sweet potatoes, and carrots
look into seafood options -- mussels, oysters, clams, roe, etc.
celtic sea salt
seaweed (my kids stuff this in their mouths and scream for more... is this a sign of a deficiency?!)
try to get DD to drink water after meals
cell salt hylands #2 calc phos 6x (3x/day) 
Concentrace trace mineral drops in our filtered water
brushing teeth before bed with water, no toothpaste (DD isn't night weaned or I would try the cheese before bed!)
---
hylands #1 calc fluor (?)
K2 supp (?)
vitamin c supp (?)
MI paste 1x at night (?)
xylitol 5x/day (?)
pascalite clay (?)
toothsoap (?)
dental essentials drops (? I ordered some but not sure if it will be overkill...)

TIA for your advice!
Kate

HI Kate,

Why are you on the fence regarding Xylitol, is there a problem with it? Can you please elaborate?

And from what I understand seltzer water is just as bad as drinking perrier, soda, etc. It can also cause kidney stones...I would eliminate that especially from the children. It is much easier to reminerilize (sp?) teeth in children by changing eating habits.

By the way, what are dental essential drops?

I also read that adding potatoes & broccoli to the diet also helps.

Does anyone here know of xylitol mints made from birchwood, organic, NON GMO, I do not want the ones that have corn....

Thanks in advance :)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page