Forum Jump: 

#61 of 861 Old 02-26-2006, 02:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The Invisible Toothbrush
By Emmanuel Cheraskin, MD, DMD

Quote:
One of the many risk factors for heart disease is poor dental health. The root cause for both diseases is probably the same—nutritional deficiencies, including deficiency of vitamin C. In this article, Dr. Emmanuel Cheraskin presents evidence that serum vitamin C levels are just as important as brushing for the prevention of tooth decay. His research also explains why primitive peoples on nutrient-dense diets have no tooth decay, in spite of the fact that they do not brush their teeth.

http://www.westonaprice.org/healthis...oothbrush.html
#62 of 861 Old 02-26-2006, 02:10 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmecke
Ok so I'm a little confused! Today I went nd bought Carlson's Cod Liver Oil in gel form. I can take 5 gells a day and get 1250 IU of Vitamin A and 500 IU of Vitamin D. On my multi-vitamin im taking I get 7000 IU of Vitamin A and 400 IU of Vitamin D-3 so what is my body getting different from the two that will help me?
I'm confused too What you mean different?

The prescription for a nutrient dense diet to prevent tooth decay is three fold:

1. High minerals in diet, such as including raw milk and bone broths everyday.

2. High amounts of vitamin A and D, for example the native diets Price studied ate on average 50,000 IU of vitamin A from natural sources.

3. The X Factor, the fat soluble activator that helps the body absorb minerals, it is present in grass fed dairy, shellfish and organ meats.

Also it's likely that most multi vitamins include the chemical form of vitamin A, such as palmitates. This is not good for you. It's the form that is shown thru research to be toxic and has led to throwing out the baby with the bathwater and making all medical establishment afraid of natural vit. A too (and they would be wrong.)
#63 of 861 Old 02-27-2006, 12:19 AM

So would you say the Cod Liver Oil gels I got will be sufficiant for the natural source of vitamin A and D.

Im looking into a local farm lady here in our little town for Raw Milk. Does that provide the X-factor also becuase its from a grass fed cow or are we talking about the cow meat?

Thank you for all your help!!!
#64 of 861 Old 02-27-2006, 11:29 PM - Thread Starter

No, not the meat, it's gotta be fats: butter (and milk and cream and cheese to a lesser extent). It's the fats that aid in absorption of minerals.

One thing WAP never specified to my recollection is the amount of A and D necessary for curing cavities. Maybe someone else who is familiar with his work can chime in.

I do know:

-his clinical findings were using high vitamin cod liver oil, not sure how much A that provided.

-as I stated before, native diets got 50,000 IU of A/day.

www.mercola.com has a lot of info on vitamin D levels.
#65 of 861 Old 03-06-2006, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneS
Several months ago, I got some Toothsoap based on a rec from someone here and I really like it! http://www.perfect-prescription.com/dentalhygiene.htm
This looks very interesting to me, but I'm somewhat leery of it because of the self-promoting aspect of the website. Also I read the "buyers agreement" or whatever it's called, that you have to acknowledge before purchasing. I guess I was weirded out by the "moneymaking scheme" section. Just wondered if there was something I was missing about the rest of the site.
#66 of 861 Old 03-06-2006, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter

Yes, she is a WAHM that is trying to make some money. Her instructions follow Dr. Judd's research.

You can just use regular soap with the same results. I don't know if Bronner's soap qualities are the same. I think I heard that liquid soap is not good, not sure about Dr. B's bar soap, do they make peppermint?

I just like her soap b/c it doesn't taste at all like soap and has good flavors. I haven't seen any other product like it. And I don't like using baking soda regularly b/c it wears away at the enamel, so to me, this was an easy, palatable option. (And it seems to be really working for me, I have NO little lines of tartar along gumline, can't wait for my dentist appt.)

Was it T*annu or Toraji that ordered this to try?

Any other people using Toothsoap?
#67 of 861 Old 03-06-2006, 03:04 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Quote:

It was me, and we are loving it. The children have no problem with using it either. My teeth have never felt cleaner and my gums are actually healing. It really doesn't taste bad at all provided you don't swallow it.

I got Dr Judd's book which I found very interesting. The Perfect Prescription book quotes a great deal from Dr Judd.

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#68 of 861 Old 03-18-2006, 02:32 PM

Peace everyone,

I just joined this group on advice of a friend. I have some dental fillings [not mercury but the white ones] and am hearing about them having formaldehyde and all these lovely things in them. Also, I have some cavities. What should I do about them? What is the best treatment, holistically speaking, for cavities?

Thanks so much!

Peace,

~Jumaanah
#69 of 861 Old 03-18-2006, 05:20 PM - Thread Starter

Not all composites have formaldehyde or bisphenol-A. Diamond Lite I think is the one that does not. There are many different kinds and recipes for composite white fillings. I think the best option is to find a holistic dentist and research your options for fixing them or trying to remineralize.
#70 of 861 Old 03-26-2006, 12:13 PM

Just took DD (3) in for her 1st cleaning. She has the beginnings of a cavity & they want to put a cement, I don't know, "cover" on it. (Not a full-fledged filling.) Anyway, I was floored. She's been on grass-fed raw milk (lots of it) since stopped bf. We do eat more sugar than we should, but she gets lots of good food too. We brush her teeth every night (no flouride.) I've always had very healthy teeth & I pompously assumed she would too. We've been using CLO haphazardly for about a year, lots of kefir & yogurt, grassfed raw butter on & off, bone broth (but again not every day). I *did* giver her a bottle's worth of chewable C tablets before I knew better & we have acidic well water.

Anyway...I guess partly I wanted to share this to debate teh idea earlier in the thread that raw milk alone is enough to prevent cavities. Also wondering if anyone is familiar w/the type of "filling" they want to use. (If my pathetic description was adequate. ) There are no holistic dentists in our area. (This area is agonizingly mainstream in that regard.) I've started giving her CLO every morning w/o fail & will pick up butter oil soon. Thanks so much JaneS for starting this thread & to all who pitched it. I'm sure it will prove to be a great help.

Dawn
#71 of 861 Old 03-26-2006, 02:38 PM

Another great thread revived!
Quote:

Yes! I really love it too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uccomama
It was me, and we are loving it. The children have no problem with using it either. My teeth have never felt cleaner and my gums are actually healing. It really doesn't taste bad at all provided you don't swallow it.
What flavor do your dcs use? DD used Burt's Bees orange flavored toothpaste and eats it off the toothbrush, she loves it so much. I don't see her taking the peppermint flavored one without a fuss though and I'd like to get away from the Burt's Bees.

Jane,
DD is taking Kirkman's chewable vitamins - - do you think these are harsh on the tooth enamel too?

One more ? - - where can one find grass fed butter and cream? My co-op that carries my raw milk does not have any.
#72 of 861 Old 03-27-2006, 10:30 PM - Thread Starter

ARGH Dawn!!

I don't know know much about the description of the cement cover... maybe you could PM Smilemomma? As long as there is no metals in it it should be okay.

I think the vitamin D could be a reason too maybe? You are in northern US like I am and literally the sun is only at the proper angle during summer around noontime. Did you supplement D while bf'ing? Just thinking out loud. This is soooo hard! And I'm living in fear here, DS's calculus is back on his bottom teeth and I don't think he can tolerate the butter oil.

Annikate,

Yes, any chewable vitamin C wears away at the enamel b/c it is so acidic. I don't know why they still make them!!!

Have you emailed your local Weston Price chapter leader re: grass fed dairy? (I forgot where you are)
#73 of 861 Old 03-27-2006, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Did you supplement D while bf'ing?
No, unfortunately. I didn't realize the importance then. I've started giving DS CLO now also. Poor DD - I envision her being a guinea pig her whole life.

As to the contents of the cover, I'll probably just call the dentist tomorrow. If I find out anything exciting, i'll post it.

Good luck w/your DS, JaneS!
#74 of 861 Old 03-27-2006, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Have you emailed your local Weston Price chapter leader re: grass fed dairy? (I forgot where you are)
In FL & I was just on the site today and found a leader relatively close by. I think my co-op is looking into starting a chapter.

Quote:
Yes, any chewable vitamin C wears away at the enamel b/c it is so acidic. I don't know why they still make them!!!
Ughh, dd LOVES her vitamins. I guess I could get capsules and sprinkle them huh? (I was just about to order her some more too. . . )
#75 of 861 Old 03-28-2006, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annikate
One more ? - - where can one find grass fed butter and cream? My co-op that carries my raw milk does not have any.
If you're getting raw milk, you can skim the cream off of the top and make your own butter. There have been a couple of butter-making threads in the Nutrition & Good Eating forum (basically agitate the cream--blender or mixer works well--until the butter and the buttermilk separate, squeeze out the remaining buttermilk, add dash of salt & you have raw butter). It's an incredible change from the pale butter that so much of America is used to.

Thanks for reviving the thread!

Momma to the monkeys three
#76 of 861 Old 03-28-2006, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidentMama
If you're getting raw milk, you can skim the cream off of the top and make your own butter. There have been a couple of butter-making threads in the Nutrition & Good Eating forum (basically agitate the cream--blender or mixer works well--until the butter and the buttermilk separate, squeeze out the remaining buttermilk, add dash of salt & you have raw butter). It's an incredible change from the pale butter that so much of America is used to.

Thanks for reviving the thread!
Off to look for the butter making threads!
#77 of 861 Old 04-18-2006, 09:18 PM - Thread Starter

#78 of 861 Old 04-26-2006, 03:07 AM

So what about wisdom teeth? I am trying to figure out what to do with mine, but am having a hard time finding information.

#79 of 861 Old 04-27-2006, 05:20 PM

subbing to this exvellent thread
#80 of 861 Old 04-27-2006, 06:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeRangeMama
So what about wisdom teeth? I am trying to figure out what to do with mine, but am having a hard time finding information.
Are they bothering you? If not, leave them alone I think.

http://www.toothwisdom.net/w.is_it_wisdom.html
#81 of 861 Old 04-27-2006, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Are they bothering you? If not, leave them alone I think.

http://www.toothwisdom.net/w.is_it_wisdom.html
Thanks for the link. They ARE bothering me though. I was hoping it was just pain from them growing in......

I just think all their "reasons" sound fishy but haven't had much luck finding good, solid research or info as to when they would need to come out. I can't afford a dentist anyway so it hardly matters at the moment

#82 of 861 Old 04-27-2006, 11:21 PM - Thread Starter

I know what you mean... really the only foundation I would trust now would be the Price Pottenger Institute but I don't see any articles listed. Check to see if they have any books on it. I can't find my copy of Briener's Whole Body Dentistry, maybe check your library for it?
http://www.wholebodydentistry.com/

My dentist offers some advice re: impacted wisdom teeth
http://www.grotondentalwellness.com/impacted.htm
#83 of 861 Old 04-28-2006, 12:10 AM

dh just sprouted impacted wisdom teeth this year. They are under his tongue in his mouth, they came up right in the middle there. Well, just the sides came up because they are impacted. We don't have any dental insurance and no $ and they aren't giving him any pain. That is scary to think that the roots are getting longer and might cause him trouble...
Anyone else have impacted wisdom teeth and didn't have any problems with them long term? Maybe that is too hopeful?
#84 of 861 Old 04-28-2006, 11:59 PM

I ordered the toothsoap. I was using a mix of sea salt, ground cloves, clove oil, and peppermint oil. I liked it (no tarter feelings), but was worried that the sea salt might be messing with my enamel. I want to try this on dd too since her Weleda has glycerin in it.
Jane - I was just thinking back to the study Price did on the mission children. Have no clue how much vit A/D they got. They ate crap for breakfast and dinner, but had 1/2 tsp CLO/HVB with a nutrient dense meal for lunch. I remember many things improving including their carries.
What happens when Luke takes the butter oil? That is such a bummer!
I have failed to find nutritional information on raw pastured jersey milk. Dr. Schmid didn't even have it! Has anyone run by this information? I'd love to have it.
#85 of 861 Old 04-29-2006, 01:57 PM - Thread Starter

I wasn't sure if the butter oil was causing loose stool in DS or not ... sometimes I cannot correlate with a cause at all so it seemed better to be prudent now.

I've finally gotten ahold of a consistent source of raw grass fed goat's butter and milk now from our awesome Amish farm in PA. Apparently *all* the beta carotene in goat's milk is converted to vitamin A (which is why the milk and butter is white instead of creamy yellow like cow's), which is a good thing so that means there is more A in goat's milk products. Since all mammal milk contains the X Factor, including human, goat's must too.

I'd love to see the real nutritional stats for raw milk. This the one that compares cow and goat but it's probably not grass fed based. Since I know all milk, even human milk, is very variable according to the diet of the mother.
http://drinc.ucdavis.edu/goat1_new.htm

Will keep my eyes open. Have you checked the Raw Milk Yahoo group?

How do you like the Toothsoap so far? DS only likes it with a drop of liquid stevia, our one concession. I've heard that stevia is antimicrobial. I don't like to give him a lot of it b/c I'm still on the fence about it with kids, so a couple drops/day is ok right now.

I'm still stumped by this calculus issue. He visits the dentist again in a couple weeks. Last time (she is a Price-Pottenger member) she said it was magnesium, so I've been trying my hardest to get mag. into him but it's been really hard as you know.

I got ahold of a old PPNF newsletter about calculus and the acid/alkaline balance of the body that talked about using bile salts to shift body's ph and that cures it. It also talks about the saturated fats in your diet regulating the minerals and ph level in your body, but digestion can be key to this as well, whether your bile is emulsifying the fats. All of this is a bit over my head and out of my league too right now. Just sitting with the info until our other stuff pans out.
#86 of 861 Old 04-30-2006, 12:47 AM

I have read through this entire thread but not the links yet, and I have a few questions. So, please bear with me. When I looked for raw milk in my area, it all says "for pet consumption only due to state law." Should I buy it and use it anyway, assuming that it is sterile? How would I even know? Also, my dd is 18 months old, how do I know how much CLO to give? I am wonderring the same thing for my older kids too (2.5, 5, and 7). Is there a recommended dosage somewhere or something? As far as other dietary changes, I know you all have been recommending organ meat, but what about fruit and veggies? Should I cut back fruit because of the sugar content? My youngest has really bad dental caries on her front top teeth, I brush them alot and I even let her play with a toothbrush, for that extra little bit of scrubbing she may get in, but it looks like she may still have a few more cavities developing. Changing her diet, is really a last resort. We see the dentist in July, but I would like to try and do all that I can between then and now to prevent things from worsenning. So, anyway, if anyone could help answer my questions it would be greatly appreciated. Also, if there are any good books on this topic, I would love recommendations on those as well. Thanks a lot.
#87 of 861 Old 04-30-2006, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summertime Mommy
I have read through this entire thread but not the links yet, and I have a few questions. So, please bear with me. When I looked for raw milk in my area, it all says "for pet consumption only due to state law." Should I buy it and use it anyway, assuming that it is sterile? How would I even know? Also, my dd is 18 months old, how do I know how much CLO to give? I am wonderring the same thing for my older kids too (2.5, 5, and 7). Is there a recommended dosage somewhere or something? As far as other dietary changes, I know you all have been recommending organ meat, but what about fruit and veggies? Should I cut back fruit because of the sugar content? My youngest has really bad dental caries on her front top teeth, I brush them alot and I even let her play with a toothbrush, for that extra little bit of scrubbing she may get in, but it looks like she may still have a few more cavities developing. Changing her diet, is really a last resort. We see the dentist in July, but I would like to try and do all that I can between then and now to prevent things from worsenning. So, anyway, if anyone could help answer my questions it would be greatly appreciated. Also, if there are any good books on this topic, I would love recommendations on those as well. Thanks a lot.
Summertime Mommy - One of the first times I bought raw milk I noticed the label said the same thing as yours. I had a feeling this was for legal protection so I called the farmer to ask if her milk should only be fed to animals or was she covering herself legally. She had quite a good chuckle and told me that she had never known of anyone feeding her milk to animals (she provided organic 100% pastured raw jersey milk). I'm sure your case is the same, but calling the farmer would be a good idea. I always throw a bunch of questions at them before I decide on their milk. I try to visit the farms too so I can get a good feeling of how sanitary they are.
I believe raw fruits and vegetables (esp.) are important. I know that the thought of overhauling anybody's diet - esp. a young child - can be overwhelming. You're very fortunate that you have this option while your child is still relatively healthy. Both Jane and I came to WP eating through a long road of trial and error with our kid's health issues. WP discusses the importance of a nutrient dense diet in maintaining and repairing the body esp. dental caries. IMO Nutrition and Physical Degeneration is the most worthwhile book I have read in the last two years. It can be ordered from the Price Pottinger foundation. http://www.ppnf.org/catalog/product_...roducts_id=226

I received my tooth soap yesterday. Sorry, but it tastes like CRAP! I felt like I had just opened a caprylic acid capsule in my mouth. Perhaps I'll get used to it. I liked the Perfect Prescription for Your Teeth. I had not realized that the woman behind the product started the journey by reading N&PD. Sweet! I wish I had a dollar for each time I've read that one eating by WP standards had wrecked their health by living according to a vegan/vegetarian lifestyle and had come back around by eating nutrient dense foods.
I was hesitant regarding more supplements as suggested by the pamphlet. I just can't get the mission school story out of my head. Those kids ate donuts and coffee with milk/sugar two meals per day. They improved dramatically because of ONE nutrient dense meal preceeded by CLO/BO. I think that our advanced technology has caused us to over inspect everything. It makes me crazy at times..

Jane - Yes, thanks for the link. Let me know if you ever find one looking at raw pastured jersey/nubian milk. One farmer that I got pastured jersey milk from told me that she sent off milk analysis for each of her cows. They all ate the same amount of pasture. The milk fat varied anywhere from 5% to 7.5% depending on the cow. I'm playing with the idea of getting the lab info from her and sending some of the milk we're getting off in a test tube. Like I need to spend more money just to satisfy my curiosity
#88 of 861 Old 05-01-2006, 03:51 PM - Thread Starter

Caught this nutritional nugget in Nourishing Traditions this morning (that book has so much detail, it's like I'll never absorb it all!)

Quote:
It is magnesium, not calcium, that helps form hard tooth enamel, resistant to decay...

Although it is in many foods, including dairy products, nuts, vegetables, fish, meat and seafood, [Jane note: and whole grains] deficiencies are common in America due to soil depletion, poor absorption and lack of minerals in drinking water. A diet high in carbohydrates, oxalic acid in foods like raw spinach and phytic acid found in whole grains [and nuts and especially soy too] can cause deficiencies. And excellent source of usable magnesium is beef, chicken or fish broth... Magnesium deficiency can result in coronary heart disease, chronic weight loss, obesity, fatigue, epilepsy and impaired brain function. [and anxiety, insomnia, irritability, restless legs, irregular heartbeat and constipation.] Chocolate cravings are a sign of magnesium deficiency.
Mag. and vit. D deficiencies are so very common. Some studies showing 50-70% in women of child bearing age. Mag. is greatly reduced by drinking soda (the phosphoric acid in it depletes mag.) and coffee.

Why people still insist tooth decay is genetic is quite beyond me.

P.S. My favorite mag. supplement is Natural Calm, very well absorbed.
#89 of 861 Old 05-01-2006, 03:58 PM - Thread Starter

Jenna,

I don't think fruit is so much of an issue so much as refined sugar which depletes minerals and fruit juice. Vegetables are truly important for health, but for teeth the research here seems to say its the fat soluble vitamins and minerals in the diet that are key.

Like Moneca mentions, the boys in the above experiment ate sugar and other poor food, yet the bacterial concetrations in the mouth went down and teeth started remineralizing all based on that one meal. And the book, Nutrition and Physical Degeneration describes many native people who did not brush their teeth at all and had no cavities.

More on cod liver oil dosage here: http://www.westonaprice.org/basicnut...fications.html

P.S. Nourishing Traditions is a very worthwhile book to get too.
#90 of 861 Old 05-01-2006, 04:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneca
I received my tooth soap yesterday. Sorry, but it tastes like CRAP!
What kind did you get? There are new flavors and raw honey versions. The regular shreds taste very neutral to me. Are you using a lot, you need just a tiny bit b/c it foams like crazy.

Quote:
I liked the Perfect Prescription for Your Teeth. I had not realized that the woman behind the product started the journey by reading N&PD. Sweet! I wish I had a dollar for each time I've read that one eating by WP standards had wrecked their health by living according to a vegan/vegetarian lifestyle and had come back around by eating nutrient dense foods.

Quote:
I'm playing with the idea of getting the lab info from her and sending some of the milk we're getting off in a test tube. Like I need to spend more money just to satisfy my curiosity

Have you seen this link below? It has a little chart comparing raw vs. pasteurized but not exactly what you are looking for:

SUPPLEMENTAL REPORT IN FAVOR OF RAW MILK
http://www.karlloren.com/aajonus/p15.htm

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page