Curing Cavities with Nutrition - Page 5 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#121 of 861 Old 05-13-2006, 02:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
tulipmommy - I just went to the www.realmilk.com website and noticed that there were many raw grassfed jersey milk suppliers in PA so you might find one closer to you than the farmer I used. Here is their info from the realmilk site :

Schuylkill County: Hilltop Meadow Farm, Pine Grove, (570) 345-3305. Raw, chem-free, grassfed Jersey milk, cheeses, eggs and other dairy products.

They also had delicious butter for $11/pound, but it is so much cheaper to make your own if you can get cream - well, that depends how much they charge for cream. I get 1/2 gallon for $6 and that makes 2 pounds of delicious deep yellow butter this time of year.

Jenna - I'm guessing you've already checked out www.realmilk.com for your area. Sounds like you've found the best source in your vicinity.
#122 of 861 Old 05-13-2006, 02:45 PM

Since we're discussing raw sources :

I just wanted to share the info for my cheese farmer with everyone.

www.christiancheese.com

I have gotten my raw milk from this farmer and have been to his farm to
check it out several times. He is not certified organic because he does
not want to have to fill all the papers out. He has holstein cows that
do not receive antibiotics or hormones. They are pasutred on pesticide
and fertilizer free grass except for grain at milking time to get them
into the barn. He sells raw cheddar (white or yellow). The only
ingredients are raw milk, salt, rennet, and culture (annato extract in
the yellow cheddar to give it color). The raw cheddar has a very sharp
taste that I love and is aged for 90 days. The raw cheese is not on his
site, but you should be able to call and have it sent. It is either 7
or 8 dollars a pound (I don't know because I just go to the farmers'
market and pick up a bunch of blocks each weekend).
#123 of 861 Old 05-13-2006, 03:42 PM - Thread Starter

Tulipmama, you can also email the WAPF chapter leader in your area for sources. I get my raw milk from the Lapp family farm in Quarryville. Also another WAPF chapter uses Fisher family farm in same area. Love the Amish!

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneca
I get 1/2 gallon for $6 and that makes 2 pounds of delicious deep yellow butter this time of year.
Well that helps answer my question in this months NT Mamas thread: How much regular grassfed butter would you need to eat to get 1/2 tsp. recommended dosage of high vitamin butter oil.

1.33 oz cream equals one dose of BO.

I'm too brain dead to continue to do the arithmatic right now tho
#124 of 861 Old 05-13-2006, 10:03 PM

Thanks, Moneca. I looked at the real milk site, but many of the PA farms won't ship their milk and they're too far too drive to (I am in Allegheny county). Thanks for your supplier's info. I will look into that since it sounds like they ship!
#125 of 861 Old 05-14-2006, 11:31 AM

I'm looking for recommendations for liquid minerals for dd#2. I just started her on CLO and she loves it (actually wants seconds). Also started raw milk but she has a runny nose yesterday so I'm not sure if she's sensitive to it or not. I might make some yogurt to see if it affects her allergies. She also ate a tiny bite of liver but not too sure about it. DD#1 loves it so thats good (I like them too). I'm re-reading NT. Anything else that will be beneficial for dd#2 (found out she has 3-4 cavities last week).
#126 of 861 Old 05-14-2006, 01:28 PM

I subscribed to this thead awhile ago, and I'm just amazed at all the info on here!
I just have one request, can you all post a list of what all I should get to prevent cavities? At this point I'm kind of confused at what exactly I should be searching for.
(I just spent the last half hour trying to figure out what CLO stood for )
Thanks!

waiting on the power of the three wolf moon. 
#127 of 861 Old 05-14-2006, 05:57 PM

CLO=Cod Liver Oil....hehe...
#128 of 861 Old 05-14-2006, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaMAMAma
I'm looking for recommendations for liquid minerals...
Ditto. I found a dry, loose mineral supplement at Whole Foods the last time I went, but for a 10 day supply (for one person), they wanted $14, which is a bit more than I can afford. Any suggestions from the dental gurus around here?

Momma to the monkeys three
#129 of 861 Old 05-15-2006, 02:47 PM

Jane recommends minerals on the first page...is that the kind you are looking for?
#130 of 861 Old 05-16-2006, 07:33 PM

Okay, so I couldn't find the toothsoap recommended, and I am still looking.
I did try...Ivory soap It really wasn't bad, cleaned my teeth great, and since I used very little, I was able to keep it off my tongue
Now, you guys did mention that soap could be used! Do you have any reasons why I shouldn't use it? I know its supposed to pretty much "pure" but what does that mean? Beside the taste, is there any chemicals in there that are toxic? Has anyone tried this, or am I the only weirdo?

#131 of 861 Old 05-16-2006, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverdoingitagain
I did try...Ivory soap It really wasn't bad, cleaned my teeth great, and since I used very little, I was able to keep it off my tongue
Now, you guys did mention that soap could be used! Do you have any reasons why I shouldn't use it? I know its supposed to pretty much "pure" but what does that mean? Beside the taste, is there any chemicals in there that are toxic? Has anyone tried this, or am I the only weirdo?
I googled "ivory soap ingredients". It was interesting. I wouldn't put it in my mouth. You might see the link about P & G testing on animals too.

Randy's Research! Information on toiletries ingredients and herbal ...
Of more importance to the consumer could be what isn’t in Ivory soap. Notice that glycerin is missing from the list of ingredients. This cheapens the soap ...
http://www.freespiritemporium.com/research.html - 33k - similar pages

Satya July 95: The Dirt on Soap by Jean Thaler
“Ivory Soap is made just from animal fat and vegetable oil.” ... If ingredients
are not shown, do not buy a transparent soap unless its label states that ...
http://www.satyamag.com/july95/thaler.html - 21k - similar pages

Pat

I have a blog.
#132 of 861 Old 05-16-2006, 11:07 PM

Quote:
IT's here:

http://www.toothsoap.com/

With shipping it comes to about $27. We use it - it does taste a little like soap, you have to rinse 2-3 times to get it all out of your mouth. We just started using it so I'm not sure the results yet, but it feels clean
#133 of 861 Old 05-17-2006, 12:02 AM

Darn, and my teeth feel so great... Good thing I only used it the once.
I wasn't looking for it online, I was hoping to find it in our local health food stores, but no luck. I guess my only course of action is online?
I would love to find a recipe to make it, but couldn't find any for it. Soap, yes, toothpaste, sure, toothsoap, yeah right!

#134 of 861 Old 05-17-2006, 12:12 AM

Quote:
: I would love to find a recipe to make it, but couldn't find any for it. Soap, yes, toothpaste, sure, toothsoap, yeah right!
Quote:
List of Ingredients and Manufacturing Information

From the label on my jar of Perfect Prescription Tooth Soap™: Ingredients: Specially formulated soap made from saponified coconut, palm, and olive oils and essential oil. NO added glycerin, sweeteners, silicates (sand), fluoride, dyes, stabilizers or other materials that can damage teeth. No animal testing. 100% Kid and Mom tested and approved by both.

Perfect Prescription Tooth Soap™ is manufactured in the USA in a commercial kitchen licensed by the Oregon Department of Agriculture.
It looks like you could probably make up a batch.

Pat

I have a blog.
#135 of 861 Old 05-18-2006, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Darn, and my teeth feel so great... Good thing I only used it the once.
I wasn't looking for it online, I was hoping to find it in our local health food stores, but no luck. I guess my only course of action is online?
I would love to find a recipe to make it, but couldn't find any for it. Soap, yes, toothpaste, sure, toothsoap, yeah right!
I made my own soap, with coconut oil, olive oil, and lard, all organic. I use that for my face and teeth. My teeth are really clean, and once or twice a week I use baking soda.

I also found a natural bristle toothbrush at the natural food store (Marlene's). My doctor told me plastic leaches into food and causes insulin resistance. So I figured a plastic toothbrush wasn't good either. I like the one I have now -- the bristles get pretty soft in water, and the handle IS plastic, but a hard plastic. At least it isn't getting the friction the bristles do. But if I can find one with a wooden handle, I'll get that.

Ann
#136 of 861 Old 05-18-2006, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnC
I made my own soap, with coconut oil, olive oil, and lard, all organic. I use that for my face and teeth. My teeth are really clean, and once or twice a week I use baking soda.

I also found a natural bristle toothbrush at the natural food store (Marlene's). My doctor told me plastic leaches into food and causes insulin resistance. So I figured a plastic toothbrush wasn't good either. I like the one I have now -- the bristles get pretty soft in water, and the handle IS plastic, but a hard plastic. At least it isn't getting the friction the bristles do. But if I can find one with a wooden handle, I'll get that.

Ann
Do you make just like normal soap? Can I use any homemade soap recipe using those ingredients( is that all for the ingredients? really?)
I've never made soap before, though I have found recipes for it.

#137 of 861 Old 05-18-2006, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Do you make just like normal soap? Can I use any homemade soap recipe using those ingredients( is that all for the ingredients? really?)
I've never made soap before, though I have found recipes for it.
Yes, I made it with those fats and the lye is the only other ingredient. But in googling the lye I used, Red Devil, it seems that's been pulled from the market. So soapmakers are going to have difficulty getting lye, it seems. Probably because the government doesn't trust people to use it safely. I made my soap a few years ago, and it lasts a long time, and I made about a dozen bars, still have 8 or 9 left. I'll have to hang on to it!

Ann
#138 of 861 Old 05-19-2006, 12:51 AM

You put lye in your soap that you use in your mouth? Lye is caustic...is there something I'm not aware of?
#139 of 861 Old 05-19-2006, 12:51 AM

Okay, so my son has been recently diagnosed with Rubinstein-Taybi Syndrome (deletion or mutation on 16th chromosome). There are a host of medical problems that go along with it (including his heart defects and reflux) but what stood out to me was a tendency to cavities and bone fractures. I read that and thought "not on my watch". But I'm not sure how much I can do, even if I do get my rear in gear and go more NT. Isn't enamel formed prenatally? And if it's his genes that are causing it. . . I guess what I really need to figure out is WHY the cavities. Could the genetic errors lead to poor mineralization of teeth and bones?
The big things I need to do are CLO (which I'm already taking, 1 tsp of Blue Ice) and a good butter, plus getting minerals though bone broths, right? Would it be okay to give him some of my mint flavor CLO, or is that not okay for babies? Getting it in him is not an issue at this time, because of his feeding tube.
#140 of 861 Old 05-19-2006, 10:00 AM

Carly,

Yes, his teeth were formed prenatally, but his adult teeth are forming now, and what he gets now will determine what his adult teeth will be like.

I wouldn't give him the mint flavor, I'd get some unflavored. With his age, you'd want to protect against food allergies. So I'd order some plain from Radiant Life or Green Pastures. I'd start him on it when he starts solids.

You certainly are a dedicated mama, pumping so your baby can have your milk.

KerryAnn @ CookingTF dot com - Nutrient dense foods your kids will LOVE!  Real Food Cooking School and Lactofermentation Classes now live! Use coupon code "CTF" for 20% off.

#141 of 861 Old 05-19-2006, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasmyn
You put lye in your soap that you use in your mouth? Lye is caustic...is there something I'm not aware of?
ALL soap has lye in it. The lye is saponified when you make soap, rendering it non-caustic. It reacts completely with the fat to form a completely new compound. She says saponified on the label so people who don't know about soapmaking won't freak over the lye.

I personally use the Perfect Perscription Tooth Soap, and I LOVE it.

Lye is still available online, you just have to look to find it. I havne't bought any in quite a while.
Pirogi likes this.

KerryAnn @ CookingTF dot com - Nutrient dense foods your kids will LOVE!  Real Food Cooking School and Lactofermentation Classes now live! Use coupon code "CTF" for 20% off.

#142 of 861 Old 05-19-2006, 10:42 PM

I am very excited to find this hunk of information! My daughter was just diagnosed with two small cavities and I would like to treat them without fillings, if possible. My daughter is almost 5 and hasn't been to the dentist in almost 2 years. At that time, the dentist was unable to get xrays. So, I don't know how long these little cavities have been around.

I am already planning on switching to raw milk and butter (I found a local source) and using bone broth. She is currently on Omega-3 Fish Oil. How would that work with the CLO? Can she take both? The Omega-3 REALLY helps her behavior/concentration and I would hate to take her off it. If using both isn't an option, how can I supplement the Vit's A & D?

Thanks in advance for any help.
#143 of 861 Old 05-20-2006, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krankedyann
ALL soap has lye in it. The lye is saponified when you make soap, rendering it non-caustic. It reacts completely with the fat to form a completely new compound. She says saponified on the label so people who don't know about soapmaking won't freak over the lye.

I personally use the Perfect Perscription Tooth Soap, and I LOVE it.

Lye is still available online, you just have to look to find it. I havne't bought any in quite a while.
Oh! Okay, I see - thanks!
#144 of 861 Old 05-20-2006, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennaIL
I am already planning on switching to raw milk and butter (I found a local source) and using bone broth. She is currently on Omega-3 Fish Oil. How would that work with the CLO? Can she take both? The Omega-3 REALLY helps her behavior/concentration and I would hate to take her off it. If using both isn't an option, how can I supplement the Vit's A & D?
CLO is basically fish oil plus the A&D. You can give her both at the same time. Although you might find you don't need the fish oil or can wean her off of it if you start her on a good quality CLO, like Blue Ice or Radiant Life. Also, for healing cavities, you'd want to include butter oil from Green Pastures on top of the raw dairy, if you can afford it. It's $$.

#145 of 861 Old 05-20-2006, 03:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennaIL
She is currently on Omega-3 Fish Oil. How would that work with the CLO? Can she take both? The Omega-3 REALLY helps her behavior/concentration and I would hate to take her off it. If using both isn't an option, how can I supplement the Vit's A & D?
CLO has omega 3's, there is no need to give both. CLO is preferable because of the high vitamin content, not only for teeth, but it helps protect the oils from oxidation in the body.

What is the EPA/DHA dosage that she is taking now in the fish oil? Just correlate that amount with the new dose of CLO.
#146 of 861 Old 05-27-2006, 12:00 AM

Not a cavity, but what should I do for a small chip on a baby tooth? Just happened tonight to my 2yo. Should I step up CLO or butter oil? Or should I just watch it and not worry unless I see signs of damage or decay?

Zia+Lane+Sonora=Mi Vida Loca! :
#147 of 861 Old 05-27-2006, 12:19 AM

Here's my question...my son's permanent teeth are coming in yellow. I am mortified, to tell the truth. I always had strong, straight, healthy teeth, ate healthfully and nutritiously throughout pregnancy and nursing, have fed him organic his entire life with few sweets (cake at birthday parties and such, special occasions, mainly). My DS has brushed regularly, once or twice a day, always, and even flosses a couple-few times a week (we're working on it). What is going on? My DH has less perfect teeth and I can tell from his pictures when he was about DS's age, that DS's permanent teeth seem to be coming in shaped like DH's (big eye teeth, slightly crooked but mostly pretty nice) .

What can I do to help my son and the rest of the teeth that are coming in? It's so odd to see yellow permanent teeth coming in beside white baby teeth. Help!

TYIA
#148 of 861 Old 05-27-2006, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter

Iron, fluoride and some antibiotics like Cipro can cause yellow staining.
#149 of 861 Old 05-27-2006, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneS
Iron, fluoride and some antibiotics like Cipro can cause yellow staining.
Iron, hmmm, I can't imagine where he might have gotten too much iron from. I don't even use cast iron though I am looking into starting that now, since I'm low in iron.

He's never had Cipro though he had one round of Amoxicillin (for an eye infection) when he was 2, to which he got hives, gave him benadryl and won't ever give it to him again.

Fluoride...hmmm....we have never had fluoridated water though he has usually used fluoridated toothpaste, but not always (and not right now). His teeth have never received a fluoride treatment. Is that enough to cause it? I have seen people have white spots on their teeth from too much fluoride, I'd never heard that fluoride could also turn them yellow.

Is this something that can be fixed naturally?

In the future, if he wanted his teeth whitened, is tooth whitening safe?

Ah, so many questions, so little time. Thank you for your response.
#150 of 861 Old 05-27-2006, 10:40 PM - Thread Starter

Giving Amoxicillin to Babies May Harm Permanent Teeth
Quote:
Giving the antibiotic amoxicillin to infants may contribute to problems with the enamel of their permanent teeth, a new study suggests.
However, the study authors and other experts said the finding is preliminary and more research is needed to determine if a cause-and-effect relationship exists.

Amoxicillin is commonly prescribed to children for problems such as ear infections and other bacterial illnesses.

"The changes in the appearance of the teeth in children that we call dental fluorosis appears to be associated with the use of amoxicillin during the first year of life," said lead researcher Dr. Steven M. Levy, the Wright-Bush-Shreeves Professor of Research and director of Dental Public Health at the University of Iowa.

Dental Fluorosis

Exposure to fluoride during the first couple years of life is the primary cause of dental fluorosis, Levy said. Dental fluorosis is permanent damage to enamel-forming cells. The damage causes the enamel to become porous, resulting in staining and discoloration. The problems can range from barely noticeable white flecks, to pits and brown stains.
http://health.dailynewscentral.com/content/view/1734/63
Post a new thread about tooth whitening, I'd like to know about safety issues too!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page