Chelating mamas? - Page 9 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#241 of 850 Old 02-04-2007, 03:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liver life finally came, and I've been taking it for about a week now. I took it alone for the first couple days, then added the NCD. Now I am finally feeling better after being so grumpy earlier this week. I still feel a bit fogged, but I am convinced that the NCD is definitely doing something re: mercury. I was pretty surprised, I was feeling so well using Andy Cutler's protocol and finally feeling like I had reached the point of seeing the light at the end of the tunnel, but using the NCD made me realize that I still have a lot left to get out. So I think I will alternate with the NCD and the DMSA/ALA. I will keep DH on NCD even after he pulls the rest of his amalgams because being put on the Cutler chelation schedule will probably drive him bonkers.

Another interesting mercury related symptom is that my stuffy nose is back...not as bad as before, but still stuffy and feeling more allergic. And a weird thing about Liverlife...when i first started taking it, I felt really dizzy. I haven't drank in a very long time, but it was that room-spinning feeling of being drunk. I wonder if it was pulling some weird stuff out of my liver?

I will be soooooo happy when this crap is finally outta me.

My current plan is to keep chelating with NCD and ALA/DMSA, until I don't notice any improvements. After that I am considering NDF to see if that pulls anything further. Then hair test or urine tox panel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#242 of 850 Old 02-05-2007, 11:39 PM

Hi Mommas,
I have the consult wit the biological dentist next week to remove my 8 amalgams & replace with composite or whatever else I may need. I'm excited and a bit scared. I am planning on using cutler's protocol to chelate. I will be interested to see what my dentist reccomends as he strictly follows the huggins protocol for removal. As far as I know, huggins does not agree with Cutler's protocol. Does anyone know anything anything about the huggins??
I have been waiting for years to get these things out. 1st I was pregnant with son, now 3.5 then while nursing, I got preg with dd now 1.5 years. Finally we weaned and I am so ready. I really feel the mercury is affecting me. I have metallic taste in my mouth at times, ringin ears, major fatigue, and very bad short term memory and brain fog. I figureI have had these fillings for at least 20 years or more and I know some of them are cracked. I hate that I had to have them while preg & nursig, but didn't really have anyo other choice.

I love this thread. I will keep you update. My appt is next Tuesday.
thanks
candis
#243 of 850 Old 02-06-2007, 02:11 AM - Thread Starter

Toraji - Glad to hear that you're feeling better. I've been realizing how long this may take too. When I first started the DMSA and then the ALA I had amazing changes, but things have just been steady for the longest time. Same thing with dd. The stuttering being resolved in a week was an incredible blessing along with the other changes, but now it seems that she is just slow and steady in her improvements. It makes sense to me though. We're bound to see dramatic changes when we begin to chelate and plasma level fall. After that it seems to me that it is just a waiting game as organs slowly release mercury (maybe with the help of ALA) so that plasma levels stay more constant with small variations until the hiding places are close to empty. Both dd and I are having constant very slow progress at this point which is probably just the way it has to be.
Interestingly I accidently took an extra dose of ALA last week during the night. Some of my mercury symptoms came back the next day (stuffy nose, bit of insomnia the next night, early menses, and increased salivation). They seemed mild and cleared up pretty quickly with the NCD. I hope that this means my body load has decreased significantly, but I do still have a bit to go. I had hoped to stop the ALA in another month when my supply is out and just go on with the NCD. Instead I've decided to send a UTM this week while on NCD/ALA and another one next week while on only NCD to compare excretions and determine what the best plan would be.

Candis - Welcome! Please keep us updated. Have you already started Vitamin C and selenium? Are you just having one quadrant removed at a time?
#244 of 850 Old 02-06-2007, 04:22 PM - Thread Starter

JaneS brought up the topic of low iodine levels and supplementing with Lugol's a few weeks ago. At first I just ignored it because the thought of another natural supplement made me :. Well, then I got to thinking about mercury's effects on the thyroid. Sierra has always presented as hypothyroid even though her TSH, free T4, and T3 levels were within normal range. Dr. Handshew believes that her T3 levels are probably very low affecting her stomach motility among other things due to the way she is presenting. I started reading about iodine and the thyroid and at first could not find anything worth mentioning. Finally came upon some interesting information discussing low iodine an Weston Price (from and iodine info site):

http://www.westonaprice.org/children...ormothers.html

The bottom of this page has a number of sites with iodine info :

http://www.breastcancerchoices.org/I...stigation.html

I was interested to learn that the thyroid needs proper amounts of iodine to create thyroid hormones. A few of the sites even discussed iodine's role in removal of mercury. Selenium was also discussed in its role with iodine. This may be of no interest, but I thought I would include it just in case. Now I need to do more reading about mercury and the thyroid since I have forgotten all that information:.

We did a iodine patch test. My patch was on for about 12 hours, dd's for only 8, and DH for more than 24. Hmmm.
#245 of 850 Old 02-06-2007, 05:52 PM

I've been taking a thyroid suppliment that containes iodine. I also take kelp drops and have been doing the iodine patch test. Now it stays for 10+ hours! In the begining it stayed for just 1-2. I'm on armor and have been for over a year.

My dd's iodine was also really low. Her patch stayed just for a few hours at first but now it stays for 24 so I'm not worried about her anymore.

Patty wife to Jason Mama to Wisteria (6) and Junia (2)
our family is <>< and :
#246 of 850 Old 02-06-2007, 06:47 PM

I have not started anything yet. It has been a really bed winter for us. Lots of colds, my dd has rotovirus right now. It's hard for tme to keep on top of my supplements when everyone is sick, even thoug I know that part of the reason we all got sick the wnter was because I slacked off giving everyone their vitamins. It seems like Momma's health gets put on the bacjk burner, while I try and keep everyone else healthy.kwim?

As far as which quadrant, etc. I won't know until afte the consult, althoug I know he does the testing to see which ones should come out first. I have read recently that the quadrant thing is not so important as far as doing a quadrant at a time. I love www.curezone.com I find a lot of info on ther relating to the hg/amalgams.

How muchvit c should I be taking?
#247 of 850 Old 02-09-2007, 03:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommaSid View Post
I have not started anything yet. It has been a really bed winter for us. Lots of colds, my dd has rotovirus right now. It's hard for tme to keep on top of my supplements when everyone is sick, even thoug I know that part of the reason we all got sick the wnter was because I slacked off giving everyone their vitamins. It seems like Momma's health gets put on the bacjk burner, while I try and keep everyone else healthy.kwim?

As far as which quadrant, etc. I won't know until afte the consult, althoug I know he does the testing to see which ones should come out first. I have read recently that the quadrant thing is not so important as far as doing a quadrant at a time. I love www.curezone.com I find a lot of info on ther relating to the hg/amalgams.

How muchvit c should I be taking?
I just wanted to be sure you knew to only remove one quadrant at a time. You could find your bowel limit (runs) with sodium ascorbate (I took 5 gm per hour) and then work off that. When I tried to find my bowel limit this summer just after adding ALA in it was 60gms:. Last week it was 20gms. I'm hoping this means lots of repair work has been done and my toxin levels are lower. I take 2 Paradise AMLA caps three times per day for everyday use.
#248 of 850 Old 02-09-2007, 03:50 PM - Thread Starter

*** Sierra's UTM results from 11/29/06 and 1/20/07***

This first test was done by DDI. Sierra began NCD 11/02/06. She had not been chelated before. The UTM was done 11/29/2006. The UTM was a 24 hour collection (all I could get through Direct Labs) and she took 3 15 drop doses of NCD with the last one being at 2pm. The urine collection did not end until 17 hours later. With NCD leaving the body within 3-7 hours my estimate is that 12 hours of the urine collection was after NCD had left her body thus giving dilluted test results with true heavy metal levels being higher than those reported.

24 HOUR URINE TOXIC METALS
LAB #: U061201-0061-1
PATIENT: Sierra Dunham
SEX: Female
Direct Laboratory Services
POTENTIALLY TOXIC METALS
RESULT REFERENCE RESULT REFERENCE WITHIN VERY
METALS μg/g CREAT RANGE μg/24 HOUR RANGE REF. RANGE ELEVATED ELEVATED
Aluminum < dl < 100 < dl < 20
Antimony < dl < 2 < dl < 1
Arsenic 45 < 200 16 < 120
Beryllium < dl < 0.6 < dl < 0.6
Bismuth < dl < 20 < dl < 12
Cadmium < dl < 3 < dl < 1.5
Lead < dl < 5 < dl < 2
Mercury 9.4 < 5 3.3 < 3
Nickel 18 < 20 6.5 < 10
Platinum < dl < 1 < dl < 1
Thallium 0.4 < 1.1 0.2 < 1.7
Thorium < dl < 1 < dl < 0.3
Tin 1.6 < 20 0.6 < 9
Tungsten 0.3 < 2 0.09 < 0.7
Uranium < dl < 0.3 < dl < 0.2
CREATININE
RESULT REFERENCE
mg/24 hr RANGE 2SD LOW 1SD LOW MEAN 1SD HIGH 2SD HIGH
Creatinine 360 110- 800
Date Completed: 12/4/2006 Provoking Agent: NCD Provocation: POST PROVOCATIVE

***Mercury was elevated. Arsenic, nickel, thallium, tin, and tungsten were within range. Aluminum, antinomy, beryllium, bismuth, cadmium, lead, platinum, thorium, uranium were <dl.

NEW RESULTS**************************

These are Sierra's UTM results by Genova Lab done January 20' 2007. This was a 16 hour urine collection with 15 drops of NCD given every 4 hours for 4 consecutive doses.

Sex: F
DUNHAM
Patient: SIERRA
Completed: January 26, 2007
Received: January 23, 2007
Collected: January 20, 2007
Post-provocation laboratory results.
The performance characteristics of all assays have been verified
by Genova Diagnostics, Inc.

Lead <dl <= 1.4
Mercury <dl <= 2.19
Aluminum 8.7 <= 22.3
Antimony 0.110 <= 0.149
Arsenic 22 <= 50
Barium 0.5 <= 6.7
Bismuth 8.36 <= 2.28
Cadmium <dl <= 0.64
Cesium 5.3 <= 10.5
Gallium 0.238 <= 0.028
Nickel 1.13 <= 3.88
Niobium <dl <= 0.084
Platinum 0.037 <= 0.033
Rubidium 2,718 <= 2,263
Thallium 0.201 <= 0.298
Thorium 3.200 <= 4.189
Tin 0.60 <= 2.04
Tungsten <dl <= 0.211
Uranium <dl <= 0.026
Gadolinium <dl <= 0.019

Bismuth and gallium were highly elevated. Platinum and Rubidium were elevated. Aluminum, antinomy, arsenic, barium, cesium, nickel, thallium, thorium, and tin were within reference range. Lead, mercury, cadium, gadolinium, niobiurn, tungsten, and uranium were <dl.

I'm setting up another consult with Dr. Hanshew. My hope is that the NCD is taking care of toxins in the plasma and we'll see higher mercury levels again as the organs begin to dump due to the theory based on concentration gradients. For now I'm thankful to be getting a wide range of toxins out of her. We'll continue with 10 drops 3 times per day. I did just send a UTM on myself Wednesday while on ALA/NCD and will post when I receive those results in a couple weeks.

Moneca
#249 of 850 Old 02-09-2007, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneca View Post
(I took 5 gm per hour) and then work off that. When I tried to find my bowel limit this summer just after adding ALA in it was 60gms:. Last week it was 20gms. I'm hoping this means lots of repir work has been done and my toxin levels are lower.
Holy cow. So when you hit your bowel tolerance at 60 g, you had been taking 5 g every hour for 12 hours?

Amanda Rose, author, Rebuild From Depression: A Nutrient Guide. Don't miss this opportunity to build a business telling friends about probiotic foods and grass fed meats: Beyond Organic Review.

#250 of 850 Old 02-09-2007, 10:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gale Force View Post
Holy cow. So when you hit your bowel tolerance at 60 g, you had been taking 5 g every hour for 12 hours?
I got impatient and started taking 10 gm every hour towards the end. I tend to plunge in head first (personality flaw) and always suggest that others take it nice and easy.
#251 of 850 Old 02-11-2007, 02:02 AM

hi all--

i recognize some of you mamas from my scd days. cured the yeast, for a while. we moved thru iodine/selenium thyroid stuff, but found the most progress with gluten casein free. i've known mercury was related to this all along, but who knew mercury prevented gluten casein digestion (how could i have missed that!). i am learning so much and seeing so much of what i have done with supplements etc--i am convinced we're all on the right path. freaking mercury!

i was set to get my amalgams removed last sept (while nursing then 1.75 y.o. twins) but the dentist talked me out of it. i'm still nursing and i have an appt to get amalgams removed thursday (1/2 of the 6 or 7). i'm probably going to postpone as i am still nursing, but i have a question--how different is getting a filling put in from having one removed? i had three fillings put in while nursing. i can see now how they affected the girls (ie, we all got strep after the second one), but we survived and they are strong smart girls. i don't mean to sound callous, but i can see hwere i have stirred up mercury before (and it is actually happening right now--some mold the dentist put on my teeth thursday), i know it's dangerous--but is removal MORE dangerous than having new ones put in?

btw--i've already ordered NDC.

g/g thanks!
#252 of 850 Old 02-13-2007, 12:05 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolena View Post
hi all--

i recognize some of you mamas from my scd days. cured the yeast, for a while. we moved thru iodine/selenium thyroid stuff, but found the most progress with gluten casein free. i've known mercury was related to this all along, but who knew mercury prevented gluten casein digestion (how could i have missed that!). i am learning so much and seeing so much of what i have done with supplements etc--i am convinced we're all on the right path. freaking mercury!

i was set to get my amalgams removed last sept (while nursing then 1.75 y.o. twins) but the dentist talked me out of it. i'm still nursing and i have an appt to get amalgams removed thursday (1/2 of the 6 or 7). i'm probably going to postpone as i am still nursing, but i have a question--how different is getting a filling put in from having one removed? i had three fillings put in while nursing. i can see now how they affected the girls (ie, we all got strep after the second one), but we survived and they are strong smart girls. i don't mean to sound callous, but i can see hwere i have stirred up mercury before (and it is actually happening right now--some mold the dentist put on my teeth thursday), i know it's dangerous--but is removal MORE dangerous than having new ones put in?

btw--i've already ordered NDC.

g/g thanks!
Hi Nicolina. I think I remember you from the SCD long ago. I have two thoughts about your situation. First, remember that mercury has a cumulative effect since each exposure increases you body stores as some (depending how intact your natural detox systems are) is absorbed by your organs. You're kind of playing with fire IMHO each time you and your girls have a large exposure due to having your fillings messed with. Second, anytime you mess with the mercury you have increased exposure. When the amalgam goes in they usually place it and shape it, but no drilling is done as with extraction (unless polishing or sanding is done - I can't remember as it has been 20 years since I've had one put in). A dentist following IAOMT protocol should take the filling out in large chunks instead of drilling it out, but some is usually done to remove all the filling from the tooth in my experience. This drilling makes mercury dust which can be inhaled despite precautions of rubber dam, two high power suctions to an outside source, and nasal canula or nasal mask with oxygen. These are just my thoughts as I've never seen any data comparing mercury exposure when having amalgams placed vs. having them removed. Everything I have ever read has indicated that one should wait to have fillings extracted until children are weaned. Keep us updated on how you're doing.
#253 of 850 Old 02-13-2007, 09:16 PM

I never thought this would happen so I wanted to share it here!

I have been chelating for only a few months (since October), hoping to reduce my body burden of mercury before I TTC this Spring (I realize this is a short amount of time. I had to weigh time and age, etc. This is my choice). I got all amalgams out last summer, safely, etc. I've been chelating using the Andy Cutler method (frequent/low-dose). Foggy brain is lightening up, more steady emotions, just feeling lighter and more clear than before.

I've had a few 'conversations' with other doctors (ND, Allergist) and they've said the same thing: "Chelating is unsafe. Autism can't be prevented. Worry about it after your child is diagnosed. Autism isn't that bad." I disregard these conversations almost immediately. They are so uninformed.

But, I just got back from my endo, who treats my hyperthyroidism. He's a bit old school but I decided to tell him what I'm doing (and why). He actually said he was happy and proud of me for doing something that might help lower my risk for having a baby with autism, that he knows I'm smart enough to do it safely (even though he knows that is controversial) and looks forward to weaning me off my anti-thyroid meds this time (we tried last year with very unsuccessful results). He's been pushing radiated iodine for years on me, which I've been avoiding and putting off. He sounded like he is genuinely interested to see if chelation has lessened the metal burden on my thyroid gland, possibly healing it enough to 'cure' me of my hyperthyroidism w/out iodine or surgery.

It was such a positive response by an MD. It is encouraging to be able to feel the positive results of chelation (and when on round, I missed a dose by an hour, how big of a difference that makes. Foggy brain until the next round can clear it.) and feel like I may be lowering my chance of having a babe with autism. The child will still be weird but not by the standards of that big psychological book of diagnosis! Yeah!
#254 of 850 Old 02-14-2007, 01:41 AM - Thread Starter

Pingpong's mom - Congrats on the improvements! That is wonderful. How much time are you going to give between ending chelation and ttc?
#255 of 850 Old 02-14-2007, 10:24 AM

Thanks moneca! I think I'll wait maybe a month before TTC. I know it's not perfect, a lot of people will want to chelate longer, but I've got the timing issue and the fact that I feel my two greatest sources of mercury: lots of deep amalgam fillings, removed safely last summer, and a yearly flu shot since college, which I refused this flu season, are no longer. In addition, my hair test came back wonky, but not mineral deranged so if I'm correct, my body is able to remove mercury if needed (chelation was just helping to coax it out more efficiently).

I'm under the impression that w/out a chelating agent (I'm using DMSA/ALA), the mercury kinda stays put. DMSA/ALA has a short half-life (3-4 hours) and mercury quickly resettles even between rounds. So, I figure, if I can chelate consistently for the next three weeks or so, during which I'll get another hair test just to see if anything has changed/curiosity's sake, then I'll TTC in mid-March and after. I've been off the bc patch for more than a year so I'm pretty regular now.
#256 of 850 Old 02-14-2007, 04:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PingPong'sMom View Post
Thanks moneca! I think I'll wait maybe a month before TTC. I know it's not perfect, a lot of people will want to chelate longer, but I've got the timing issue and the fact that I feel my two greatest sources of mercury: lots of deep amalgam fillings, removed safely last summer, and a yearly flu shot since college, which I refused this flu season, are no longer. In addition, my hair test came back wonky, but not mineral deranged so if I'm correct, my body is able to remove mercury if needed (chelation was just helping to coax it out more efficiently).

I'm under the impression that w/out a chelating agent (I'm using DMSA/ALA), the mercury kinda stays put. DMSA/ALA has a short half-life (3-4 hours) and mercury quickly resettles even between rounds. So, I figure, if I can chelate consistently for the next three weeks or so, during which I'll get another hair test just to see if anything has changed/curiosity's sake, then I'll TTC in mid-March and after. I've been off the bc patch for more than a year so I'm pretty regular now.
Sometimes you just have to do the best you can in a situation. I've never seen any timeline on waiting ttc after chelation. The only number I've seen is waiting 18 months ttc after having the last of your amalgams out. I understand your situation because we'd love to ttc since I'm almost 35 and Dh is 42. I still have mercury symptoms to be resolved completely and my detox systems are shot (I think due to the horrendous amount of vax I've received thanks to nursing school and hospital jobs). I'm also waiting for my UTM that I just sent. Are you planning to continue your selenium and vit C for good?
#257 of 850 Old 02-14-2007, 05:02 PM

Those are some pretty interesting results, moneca. I'm curious to see how the toxic metal levels shift after more time with NCD!

Are you doing the same Cutler schedule of 3 days on, 4 days off with the NCD/ALA? DH is doing a lot better, he says his brain isn't foggy any more like it was right after he pulled that last quadrant and started NCD. He goes in for another quadrant tomorrow.
#258 of 850 Old 02-14-2007, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneca View Post
Are you planning to continue your selenium and vit C for good?
I think I heard the 18th month timeline too but the hair results came back better (less worse?) than I thought so we cut the time down to 6 months of chelation. I do have the thyroid issue and I'd love to chelate long enough to heal it... but I can get pregnant, birth and nurse w/ a thyroid issue and I'm not getting any younger so... I don't have any other *major* symptoms like others so we've decided on next month or so.

I was planning on continuing most but not all of the high levels of vitamins. If I understand correctly, I was taking a high dose of vitamins to help me through chelation and if I'm not chelating anymore, I'll cut back. And though I know others have been taking a lot more vitamins than I have, for a longer period of time, I'll be really glad to not swallow all those pills 4 times a day.

It's been a stilling and humbling 5 months of chelation: Every time I woke up at 2 and 5am or stopped mid-day for a dose or during a day I pooped A Lot, I thought of how much healthier I was getting and preparing my body for a baby. Its such a cool thing to be actively preparing to conceive a babe and incubate it, as perfectly as possible.
#259 of 850 Old 02-14-2007, 09:35 PM

Found these comments by Cutler on ttc and thought it was odd that he would say leaving them alone was best?

Quote:
Best, don't touch the fillings now.

Second best, 18+ months detox after filling removal before trying to
get pregnant.

Worst, drill now and get pregnant within the next year.

http://onibasu.com/archives/am/112018.html
#260 of 850 Old 02-15-2007, 01:57 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by toraji View Post
Those are some pretty interesting results, moneca. I'm curious to see how the toxic metal levels shift after more time with NCD!

Are you doing the same Cutler schedule of 3 days on, 4 days off with the NCD/ALA? DH is doing a lot better, he says his brain isn't foggy any more like it was right after he pulled that last quadrant and started NCD. He goes in for another quadrant tomorrow.
I'm glad he's doing better so quickly. Actually I decided to do the ALA every 3 hours 3 1/2 days every week since it is an issue of copper building up if you do it more than 50% of the time.
#261 of 850 Old 02-15-2007, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneS View Post
Found these comments by Cutler on ttc and...
I've heard the Leave Them In one.

The worst ones, according to the post, are to drill, not chelate, get pregnant within the year or drill and get pregnant w/in 6 months. Did I read his post correctly? I continued reading the post and the original poster asked a follow-up question that didn't get answered by AC: does the above apply if you use the DMSA/ALA protocol he recommends, and for how long. If I read AC's book right, your body dumps a whole lotta mercury 3-6 months after removal and to chelate during that time, moves it out more efficiently/effectively. This is what I was basing my chelation on. Did I miss the answer to the original poster's question... I'm sure that would help.

I removed all amalgams last May. I've been chelating since October. I'm not 21 yo. I just don't have 18 months to chelate. Believe me, if I could, I'd have refused amalgam fillings when I got cavities at 10yo. I'm also not mercury toxic, according to the main AC test, the DDI hair test. If I had Much Worse symptoms of toxicity, other than just knowledge that Having Amalgams in=Having Mercury In My Body, I would reconsider. But we weighed this and decided on 6 months of chelation. I guess I'll let you know in 2-5 years.
#262 of 850 Old 02-16-2007, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter

If anyone wants to see our UTM results as presented by DDI/ Genova Labs you can pm me with your email address and I'll send the PDFs. I couldn't copy and paste the entire file - only the numerical values to this thread.
#263 of 850 Old 02-16-2007, 03:28 PM

I had a new dentist remove an amalgam filling and replace it WITHOUT TELLING ME!!! No protocols were in place! That was 2 months ago. How long will it take for that exposure to be on a hair test? Right now I am trying to get through Lyme disease and my dr does not think I should worry about the mercury until I am done with that because my body can old handle so much die off. I would not mind getting the test done now so I can see what I am working with......

Jen

homebirth.jpg<>< Mama to DS, DD, and a new baby girl 4/1! homeschool.gifmdcblog5.gif

#264 of 850 Old 02-17-2007, 01:11 AM - Thread Starter

The following test was done Feb 7 '07. Amalgams were removed from July '05 through October '05. I take NCD 10 drops 3 x per day all days but Sunday. I take 100 mg ALA every three hours around the clock from 8 am Monday morning until 5pm Thursday night. The UTM measured urine taken from 7am Wednesday morning until 11pm that night. During the UTM (only on Wed) NCD was increased to 15 drops every four hours for the duration of the urine collection as specified by Dr. Hanshew's testing instructions. I began chelating with DMSA in April '06 and added ALA June '06. I reached my max dose of DMSA/ALA being 100mg/100mg mid August '06. That max dose was continued per Cutler protocol until Dec 1 '06 when I continued ALA 100 mg, but stopped DMSA and switched to NCD.
Again, if you would like me to send the PDF with the lab copy of the test including graphs just pm me with your email.

Lead 0.3 <= 1.4
Mercury 12.33 <= 2.19
Aluminum <dl <= 22.3
Antimony <dl <= 0.149
Arsenic 22 <= 50
Barium 10.6 <= 6.7
Bismuth 4.87 <= 2.28
Cadmium <dl <= 0.64
Cesium 6.2 <= 10.5
Gallium 0.203 <= 0.028
Nickel 1.34 <= 3.88
Niobium <dl <= 0.084
Platinum 0.330 <= 0.033
Rubidium 1,464 <= 2,263
Thallium 0.127 <= 0.298
Thorium <dl <= 4.189
Tin <dl <= 2.04
Tungsten 0.254 <= 0.211
Uranium <dl <= 0.026
Gadolinium <dl <= 0.019

***Gallium and platinum were highly elevated to the max amount measured. Mercury, barium, bismuth, and tungsten were elevated beyond reference range. Lead, arsenic, cesium, nickel, rubidium, and thallium were within reference range. Aluminum, antinomy, cadmium, gadolinium, niobium, thorium, tin, and uranium were <dl. *** I'll be continuing the ALA/NCD combo until I run another UTM.
#265 of 850 Old 02-17-2007, 01:20 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by newcastlemama View Post
I had a new dentist remove an amalgam filling and replace it WITHOUT TELLING ME!!! No protocols were in place! That was 2 months ago. How long will it take for that exposure to be on a hair test? Right now I am trying to get through Lyme disease and my dr does not think I should worry about the mercury until I am done with that because my body can old handle so much die off. I would not mind getting the test done now so I can see what I am working with......

Jen
Jen,
I'm sorry that you had that experience - I'd be beyond ticked:! I'd be guessing to say that that dump should show on a hair test by 3 months. Jane might have a better idea on that one. Actually the hair test itself doesn't show much. If you have high levels of toxic elements it means that they are present and your natural detox pathways are excreting some of the metals. If your toxic elements are low it could mean that you have low levels or, as in my and dd's case, it could mean that your body is storing the metals instead of excreting them. Andy Cutler's counting rules using the mineral portion of the DDI hair test look at mineral derangement to determine mercury toxicity. You may already be aware of all that so sorry if I'm repeating. I don't personally know much about lyme disease. I just had a second consult with Dr. Lyn Hanshew who is a toxicologist helping us with Sierra. I've found her to be extremely helpful and knowledgeable. You could consult with her if interested. www.askdrlyn.com
#266 of 850 Old 02-17-2007, 01:58 AM

Yeah. I am going to do the counting rules. I am blessed that I found a great integrative medicine Dr (even though he is 3 hours away) that is an expert in Lyme. He has me on natural supps and antibiotics. He does not choose abx for everyone but he said that my case seemed to be caught later than sooner so we are trying that route.

I am going to get the hair test done so I can know how much to energy to spend on this mercury issue. He wanted to do the DMPS/ALA (?) and then pee test, but after consulting you all and researching I have decided against that. He first wanted to test me because I had 4 amalgams and ate a lot of tuna for a semester in college. Now that I have had that removal exposure I am taking it more seriously than before. I was hoping to TTC late summer/ fall and then I read that if you were exposed to a removal to wait a year to TTC I am trying to look on the bright side and I am only 26 so I guess a few more months won't hurt.

Jen

homebirth.jpg<>< Mama to DS, DD, and a new baby girl 4/1! homeschool.gifmdcblog5.gif

#267 of 850 Old 02-17-2007, 04:18 AM

Hi Ladies,

Newbie here...spent the last (too many to count) hours reading all 14 pages, much of which sounded like a foreign language to me:

I ordered Cutler's book, and it seems the next thing to do is to get the hair tested. My question is who to use? DrLyn or Direct labs(I can't even figure out which one there to order since their toxic workup is not 100, but more than 200, so do I even have the right one?)

And what is a DAN practitioner?

Thank You Thank You Thank You in advance for the many questions I will be asking you.
#268 of 850 Old 02-17-2007, 04:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cello View Post
Hi Ladies,

Newbie here...spent the last (too many to count) hours reading all 14 pages, much of which sounded like a foreign language to me:

I ordered Cutler's book, and it seems the next thing to do is to get the hair tested. My question is who to use? DrLyn or Direct labs(I can't even figure out which one there to order since their toxic workup is not 100, but more than 200, so do I even have the right one?)

And what is a DAN practitioner?

Thank You Thank You Thank You in advance for the many questions I will be asking you.
Welcome Cello ! It was a foreign language to all of us at one time. DAN is an acronym for Defeat Autism Now and any practicioner (MD, DC, ND) can claim to be one. If you're going to use Cutler's protocol I would use DDI as that is what he suggests and what his counting rules work with. I've used DDI for all our testing (urine tox, hair tox, fecal toxic metals) except for a CDSA (stool analysis) and recent UTMs that I sent through Genova (a.k.a. Great Smokies). I was happy with DDI, but Dr. Hanshew prefers Genova and I figured we'd go with that since we're going to continue consulting her for Sierra. A DDI UTM is around $99 through www.directlabs.com which tests for aluminum, antimony arsenic, beryllium, bismuth, cadmium, lead mercury, nickel, platinum, thallium thorium, tin, tungsten, and uranium. Genova UTM via Dr. Lyn's site (you can't order through Genova directly) costs $130 and includes all the previous except beryllium plus barium, cesium, gadolinium, gallium, niobiurn, and rubidium. If I was doing Cutler's DMSA/ALA protocol I would go with the cheaper option of DDI since DMSA pulls mercury and lead and ALA affects mercury and arsenic. Since I'm using NCD which pulls a variety of toxins I like the Genova. With the last pull I had very high amounts of gallium being excreted that would not have been detected with a DDI test.
#269 of 850 Old 02-17-2007, 04:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by newcastlemama View Post
I was hoping to TTC late summer/ fall and then I read that if you were exposed to a removal to wait a year to TTC I am trying to look on the bright side and I am only 26 so I guess a few more months won't hurt.

Jen
26! I wish I had caught all this when I was that young. You're way ahead of the majority on this thread and your dc will be better off for you efforts now.
#270 of 850 Old 02-17-2007, 05:04 PM - Thread Starter

I was reading an article comparing the symptoms of mercury toxicity and autism which were of course nearly identical. One symptom that was associated with Hg tox that I had not run into before (or that I had remembered with my mercury brain) was social isolation. I've always done well in work situations or with just a few friends, but since I was young have always dreaded large social situations like parties or weddings. I would do anything to avoid them - even offended some friends as a result. I was just so uncomfortable that they were painful events for me. This became more evident once DH and I were married as he loves pubic speaking (: my phobia) and always had wrap parties and such due to working in the film industry. I refused to go and he would get so mad and tell me what a freak I was because all the other spouses would be there. Well, my refusal to go to social events got worse each year. Last night I suddenly realized how much this had changed just since chelation started. I gladly went to a wrap party he had several months ago and had a blast talking to everyone and didn't hang on his sleeve (as I previously had done) at all. I also started a weekly natural mamas gab group here at my house a few months ago. I asked DH if he had noticed these differences since I began chelating and he said, "oh yes, I noticed them and I believe in mercury toxicity now." Wow.
Sorry this was so long. I'm just beyond amazed at this change.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page