Remineralization and diet for healthy teeth - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 35 Old 01-06-2002, 08:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just curious if anyone has heard of/has experience with this theory/practice.
From what I have read/heard, there are certain minerals/ingredients which remineralize the tooth enamel when used and can even repair small cavities.
(calcium, phosphorus, as well as certain ph balnacing components come to mind as included, but it's been a while since I heard of this and I forget).
One site I saw touted the work of a dentist(since deceased) who pioneered this work, and, of course, sold his book and product. They said the product was available in stores, but despite being very familier with "health food" establishments in a few states, I have yet to encounter it.
Any knowledge/opinions out there? Kim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 35 Old 01-07-2002, 07:16 PM - Thread Starter

I am aware the teeth can and do reminerlize themselves regularly, of course, and of the importance of diet and ph balance of the mouth in this process.
We differ strongly on the fluoride issue, as you already know, so I will simply beg to differ on that aspect.
The issue I was really aiming at is the process of remineralization of already decayed teeth; healing of cavities via the topical application of naturally occurring minerals and ph balancing ingredients and proper diet(which also contributes to mineral availability and ph balance of the mouth/body in general.)
This was what this dentist claimed to have pioneeered, and his creditials and research certainly seemed to back him up. I am curious to see more, as the conventional wisdom in the field seems to be that once decay has occurred, drilling and filling are the only alternatives.
From what I have been able to learn thus far, calcium is important(but in a particular state), as well as phosphorus and a few others. And of course, maintaining the proper ph levels(baking soda is perhaps best suited for this topically) which inhibits the growth of damaging organisms. There are toothpastes out there which contain both "free" calcium and baking soda, but I have yet to find any which contain all the ingredients he indicated were required for remineralization of already decayed/eroded teeth.
I will try to locate some info on this guy again.
Thanks again for your post. Anyone else know anything on this? Kim
#3 of 35 Old 01-08-2002, 02:00 PM

Kim,This is something I've been trying to find a solution to as well.The only form of calcium phosphate I've been able to come across is in the form of Hyland's tissue salts.(didn't seem to be of much help)I've tried so many things,but what has truly had possitive results on my dd's teeth are the Hyland's bioplasma-its a full combination of the bodies tissue salts,and the homeopathic silicea 6x(great not only for carries but also any abcessing of the teeth)In conjunction,I've also been giving her horsetail tea for the silica.Some foods that come to mind that balance the body's ph are apricots,millet,raisinsand avocados. Hope this helps.If you come across anymore good information please let me know.
#4 of 35 Old 01-18-2002, 04:27 AM

Hi! Remember us? My ds has hypoplastic enamel on 8 (hopefully that's it, some new teeth are coming in and look pretty good!) teeth, and is using Prevident 1/x day to treat the problem. My question is, how long does this process typically take? Is a continual, ongoing process, or will the exposed areas become hard and stay that way? His last dentist (the one that had his licensed revoked for 3 years ) told me that the pits should turn a yellow or brownish color one they had hardened, but they started out a yellow color and haven't changed much at all. Also, I read on a different thread that certain foods should be avoided (i.e., raisens), and would like to know if there are some other foods that you would recommend eliminating to reduce the possibility to cavities forming while the teeth are in a vulnerable state. Thanks!
#5 of 35 Old 01-29-2002, 08:03 PM - Thread Starter

Just following an archived thread on the -issue, an+6dame across a .link for BioDent.
After reading the ingredients, YUCK! I'm sorry, but "bovine bone meal" and "bovine and ovine spleen" and "veal bone meal" are NOT things I want to ingest/feed to my kids!
Perhaps it is because I am a lapsed vegan and current vegetarian, but noway! Against my religion, so to speak.
Not to mention concerns about contaminants common in bones.
Oh well; perhaps there are other, less "cruel" and "toxic" sources of these minerals out there. Still looking! Kimberly
#6 of 35 Old 01-29-2002, 10:46 PM

Okay, I get the message (both here and from a recent trip to the dentist) that dried fruit is bad news for teeth.

So, does it lessen the dangers a bit to eat apples and cheese after the fruit, or to brush after the fruit? Or does the fruit just get way into those little teeny holes and create a no-win situation for the teeth?

I'm just not ready to give up my dried berry medley...
#7 of 35 Old 01-31-2002, 06:52 PM - Thread Starter

I just wonder about the smaller cavities (this is what this man's research implied; that if caught early, even decay could be reversed/healed with proper ph and minerals.)
I mean, my son's "cavities", for example; they are very small, don't go down much beyond the surface. Seems like if they were air abraded to remove the decay, then somehow remineralized, they would be able to "heal". (Don't worry, he is getting them filled next week! I don't have time to uncover the "key" and apply it IRL, lol! Maybe for future reference/use(say with dd or grandchildren
#8 of 35 Old 02-22-2002, 12:46 PM

What is it? Do we need it?

A LLL leader mentioned this after a meeting, saying her dentist reccomended that she and her kids use it. They use a non-floride toothpaste.
#9 of 35 Old 02-26-2002, 04:11 PM

I didn't pay much attention to dd's teeth, brushed a bit here and there. But she wasn't eating much so I didn't really worry and now that she ahs started eating we began brushing but I just noticed some buildup on two of her teeth. Right near the gumline.

I've gotten serious about brushing but its still there. It is tooth-colored and hard, I'm thinking its tartar. What to do???

Dh is 33 and has no cavities, me I am another story. I hope we can avoid dental nightmares.

Any advice?

me 71, dh 68, dd 00, dd 04
blissfully figuring out how to coexist while homeschooling and living in the woods of northern michigan
#10 of 35 Old 03-01-2002, 11:35 AM

thanks I'll look!!

me 71, dh 68, dd 00, dd 04
blissfully figuring out how to coexist while homeschooling and living in the woods of northern michigan
#11 of 35 Old 03-01-2002, 02:21 PM

The recent discussion on teas for toddlers in the health section has me wondering. If I give myself or my toddler an unsweetened herbal or fruit tea, at night after the evening brushing, do we need to brush teeth again? Is there anything in the tea that will encourage the growth of plaque or bacteria overnight? Is unsweetened herbal/fruit tea an acceptable nighttime bottle or sippy cup filler?
#12 of 35 Old 03-04-2002, 07:49 PM

My 10 month old dd has bright white patches on her teeth close to the gumline. I don't know if it is just where her teeth have come in more or if it is a sign of possible decay. I brush her teeth 2x/day with finger brush and paste (get finger chomped regularly!) Does anyone have any insight? Should I be concerned? She got her 1st 2 teeth at 4 months and has eight altogether, but is definately working on more.
#13 of 35 Old 03-04-2002, 08:30 PM

My ds (2yrs.) has this, too, but down at the edge of his front teeth. It is very subtle, but I am still concerned. Anyone have any ideas?
#14 of 35 Old 03-04-2002, 10:20 PM

A whiter area at the gumline could indicate demineralization. This is when the enamel starts to breakdown from plaque sitting there. You can prevent demineralization from developing into decay by being sure to brush right to the gumline. Probably a good idea to have someone take a quick peek to be certain.
#15 of 35 Old 04-01-2002, 09:40 PM

Hey smilemomma!

Not sure about this one at all. I've avoided totally giving dd any fruit juice so far. Water & bm only. She's 14 months old & is a major mission on the tooth brushing front. Plus she has yeast related excema & virtually all fruit juice on the market is reconstituted concentrates aka fruit sugar which would feed the yeast & give her excema & colic all night

I've finally saved up enough money to get the manual wheat grass juicer I've been after for ages. It does all sorts - even nut butters. I have a vegan baby book which is heavily into juicing & recommends giving babies raw fruit & vege juices. I'm figuring a bit of carrot or celery would be OK. I'm still very careful with what fruit I give her. We're only on apples at the moment since the organic blueberry season is over. Would giving her a little bit of raw apple juice be OK or am I better off sticking with water & just giving her fresh apples ? I'm kinda erring on the side of not doing it ( answered my own question almost ) but I would be interested on the sugar content of raw juices re reconsitiuted juices & their effect on teeth.
#16 of 35 Old 04-02-2002, 02:02 AM

yes that makes me feel a whole heap better. people always look at me funny when they find out i give her no juice. at least now i can say i have been advised not to by a dentist!! i can always make juice for myself. plus it apparently makes wicked raw vege purees. so i will be using that feature heaps.
#17 of 35 Old 04-03-2002, 05:09 AM

oceanmomma-
we haven't been using juices since our whole teeth fiasco either. we do teas like the roobios which we talked about before. and oatstraw is another favorite. we were doing carrot juice with greens but haven't in a while. I'm confused on the friut thing as ahole becuse now dd just got over thrush and we have been using no fruits and supplementing with vitamin c. Do yoou know which fruits are the least sugary so when we start reintroducing them I have an idea. i was thinking apples.
#18 of 35 Old 04-03-2002, 04:15 PM

With Saffron's excema, I have to be mega careful about fruits. Dried fruits are a total no no. To be honest, the only fruit I give her is apple. She's OK on blueberries too, but they're out of season now. Watermelon was a total disaster. dh loves it & gave her some & her excema flared up immediately. If you count avocado as a fruit, I give her that too. I expect pears would be OK. I just haven't seen any organic ones yet here. Plums & peaches were way too sweet for her. I s'pose she gets some lemon as well since she loves hummus. If you give up sugar yourself for a few weeks, your taste buds change & you'll be able to taste which fruits are too sweet.
#19 of 35 Old 05-13-2002, 06:27 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I searched but didnt have the right wording to find what I was looking for.

My daughter gets 3/4 water 1/4 or less juice to drink besides breastmilk. Very watered down. However, she wont drink plain water. Ever.

Do you have any ideas on what to put in it to make it taste different if I dont use water? Is grapefruit oil or anything similar too expensive to use like this? Would she likely be satisifed it I had lemon in it?

Just looking for ways to get juice out of her water and have her not dehydrate.. we are having enough problems with my milk supply diminishing since I am pregnant. I guess I need to start giving her some kind of milk too. Any advice about any of these issues? She is 2 1/2 and eats a wide variety of foods.
#20 of 35 Old 05-14-2002, 02:09 AM

Do you filter your water? I never liked the taste of Chicago city water...I still won't drink tap water if I can avoid it, because it tastes like a swimming pool....

Maybe she's holding out for juice?

My dd loves having a water bottle with a straw, Playtex makes them I think. That being said, she will always ask for my water instead. (do you provide an example by always having your own water with you?) Also, sometimes it's easier to get her to drink if I cuddle up for a story, and she can sip on the straw absentmindedly.

Just a couple of blind guesses......
#21 of 35 Old 05-14-2002, 11:55 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I love water made into a weak lemonade with a dash of lemon and a sprinkle of stevia powder (a natural, no calorie sweetener from the "sweetleaf plant," actually supposed to be good for your blood sugar levels, tastes great but bitter if you use too much). I'm not sure if stevia is okay for kids, I don't see why it wouldn't be, though...Also, herbal teas like mint, berry, apple spice, etc can be served iced and are hydrating and nutritive as well, also could be sweetened with stevia for a juice-like taste (strong brewed Wild Berry tea from Celestial Seasonings tastes just like juice to me, with no sugar). Good luck to you! Oh, do they still make fun straws? Maybe a really cool, special sports bottle or cup for water (or whatever) only, and a treat if they drink the whole thing over the day?
#22 of 35 Old 05-17-2002, 02:32 PM

I was going to suggest herbal iced teas with stevia too. DS loves this--he gets no juice, just water, rice dream, or herbal tea. Decaf iced green tea, maybe combined with a fruit tea, is great too, because it contains natural flouride. Too much citrus though, I have heard, weakens tooth enamel.
#23 of 35 Old 06-08-2002, 02:59 PM

So now that my dd's teeth are fixed I want to keep them healthy, but we have a problem...she loves chocolate. We have made the mistake of giving in too many times(with the help of my mother-in-law starting it all! I know that is bad to blame it on her but is true) Now I don't want her to have much sugar at all. And boy does she have a sweet tooth. The dentist thinks she may have weak enamel to begin with so will be prone to cavities anyway. I need some ideas on what to do when she starts begging for treats(which to her means a sugary item) I know a ground rule is just don't have anything in the house of that sort, period. But, when we are out and about and she sees something she asks and then begs and whines. I don't like the idea of saying no so many times to her. And saying no flat out everytime, or as many times as it will take to get it across. I would like to have something that I can give to her as an alternative. Say, "we can't have that right now, but why don't we have one of these instead". It will be difficult because she is a picky eater in general. My idea was to have a grab bowl or bag filled with stickers and small little gagets, and when she feels like she needs a treat she can pick something out. Use for rewards and such, because that is a mistake we make also, we use sweet treats as rewards. I know, I know, we have been very bad. Please, any ideas would be appreciated. I feel as though this isn't very "Mothering" behavior so go easy on me okay!
Also, Smilemomma dd has composite resin fillings on two of her top teeth(between front and incisor, name?) and I am wondering what foods we should definitely avoid so as to not stain them. Thank you everybody for your tiime, it became longer than I wanted. -H
#24 of 35 Old 06-11-2002, 08:01 PM

popcorn? pretzels? fruity/veggie/pirate's booty? Mini carrots, fresh fruit, cucumber slices (nicer then sweets in the summer.) For "rewards" focusing on the stickers etc might be a good strategy..or certificates for doing things she likes depending on age (1/2 hour storytime, go to playground, etc.) Maybe getting away from food entirely as a reward is a faster way. My DD is too young for me to know, but I'm hoping we can set an example by not using food, dessert, etc as a reward for ourselves either. We try to not have coke, candy, etc in the house, but have it as an occasional going-out treat.
#25 of 35 Old 06-12-2002, 12:38 AM

I hope Smilemomma will confirm or deny this, because I'm not totally sure how accurate it is, but a dental tech told me that it's not just sweets but starches that cause cavities, and that the starches are actually worse than the sweets!
#26 of 35 Old 06-12-2002, 09:19 AM

I thought so, but on a little newspaper dental quiz sticky things like dried apricots and raisins were worse than starches, so I had guessed wrong. I still hold that starches in a balanced amount are a better choice than candy. (for health if not only dental!) Let's see what smilemomma says...
#27 of 35 Old 06-12-2002, 10:05 PM

I just noticed a tiny brown spot on the side of one of ds's front teeth--not the very front, but the one just next to it. He is 17 months and for a month and a half was taking supplemental iron drops. The packaging of the iron drops says "temporary discoloration of teeth due to iron drops can be minimized by thorough brushing" It is hard to do thorough brushing of his teeth though I have been very regular with brushing 1X a day. His teeth did appear to turn blue after a while and since we have stopped giving the drops the teeth look mostly white again, except for some discoloration on the front of the tooth I am worried about. I was looking at this tooth today and noticed the small spot on the side. I think it is brown, though it is hard to tell. Is there any possible way this spot is also from the iron drops? I am really hoping so! I have excellent teeth, but dh's are not great. I am trying to stop from getting ahead of myself, but I am really worried about this! I need to search out a dentist, but I don't think I can add ds to our insurance until September's open enrollment period. Not that I will wait 'til then if this is decay that needs immediate attention! I am also unhappy with our current dentist, so I've got some homework to do!
#28 of 35 Old 06-16-2002, 12:51 AM

#29 of 35 Old 07-03-2002, 10:12 PM

A few ideas for you:

- towards the idea that all things break down into sugars, you just want to make your body have to work to break them down. So white flour, found to contribute to tooth decay, is bad whereas whole wheat is better - not great but better. Plant foods in their natural state are best. Crunchy stuff - jicama, carrots, peppers, apples I don't think are too bad either even though they contain fructose. As an example, due to my second child's extreme and numerous food allergies, I had to overhaul my already healthy diet. I had to remove almost all grains. I could not believe how different my teeth felt when I got my calories from almost all veggie and fruit sources.

- cook everything yourself. You could look into stevia, brown rice syrup and things like that as the sweeteners in cookies. Use Feeding the Whole Family for recipes.

- use a phrase I use constantly "that is not good for your body. yes, Daddy's body can handle X but yours cannot."

- carry a toothbrush everywhere with you and brush if she eats anything you are nervous about.

I'm with you! 4 years ago, my oldest developed caries and I overhauled our diet / life. You won't believe how much you will learn. I'd rather have many other ways to learn but this is one effective way!

Rachael
#30 of 35 Old 08-03-2002, 12:20 PM

Hi,
i havnt looked at this board ever since we decided to go ahead and get sam's teeth fixed, but i realy wanted to pass this on. at a tooth decay meeting two days ago one mother described using blue-green algae on her doughter's teeth topically, and she has seen reversal of decay and holes filling in. at the very least, we couldnt see any active decay on teeth that were obviously danaged. She did say that she put it on every day, and if she stopped, the decay came back. now i know, this is only one person, and obviously i have no idea of long term or any other side effects, but if it could work for anyone else out there, it would be fantastic. i know i am going to try it . this was the brand she used:
Super Blue Green from www.celltech.com (i think the actual brand is alpha sun)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page