Mothering Forum banner

dentist says my facial muscles causing issues

918 views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  Shiloh 
#1 ·
I'm curious if anyone else has heard of/dealt with this.

I saw the dentist today, b/c I have lots of pain on the right side of my jaw. After x-rays, etc. turned up nothing extraordinary, dentist suggested that my problems is that I have very strong facial muscles on my right side, which is causing me to bite down harder on the right side, than the left, and causing my teeth to splay(?) (I have big spaces btn some of my teeth). So, he suggested that eventually, I will need some orthodontia and some sort of facial therapy to realign my jaw, but it's not something we're worrying abt right this moment. He says this is the reason my left eye is slightly higher than my right one and my left cheekbone is slightly higher than my right one (I have prominent cheekbones).

He told me to stop chewing gum, which I will do. But, I wonder if this is familiar to anyone here? I wonder if there are some facial exercises I can do to balance this out? I have noticed that my eyes aren't level, but they've been that way since before high school. And, the spaces btn. my teeth don't look any bigger than they've always been (my molars are crowded, as are my front, bottom teeth, but everywhere else is pretty spaced).

I would get a second opinion from another dentist, but my insurance won't cover that and I've no extra money. I am definately having pain on the right side of my face, so I know there's *something* going on. Could this pain simply be from the fact that I need my fillings redone?

See less See more
#2 ·
Go see an oral surgeon and or an orthodontist. They could fit you with applianes like a night guard for grinding, clenching issues.

Honestly if you have that type of facial assymetry I'd get to a surgeon quickly I have had a bsso (bottom jaw) and a le forte (top jaw) surgeries.
I wouldn't mess around with facial exercises until you get it sorted out. This really isn't a dental issue but more a maxfillio facial issue better dx would come with a consult with an oral surgeon.

They could identify what the facial structure issues are and give you some type of interm therapy but I'd say get it looked at ASAP as you are wearing out one side of your jaw quicker than the other for sure and you don't want to get into TMJ issues as that type of jaw pain can be insane.

#3 ·
Thanks. I can't really afford that, but I'll keep it in mind. I've been concentrating on relaxing my face muscles and I haven't had any pain at all since yesterday. And, I've been chewing on my left side. I feel more hopeful, even if orthodontia is in my future. I doubt I'll mess with surgery. I researched on the internet yesterday and there is rarely enough improvement post-surgery for me to bother with it if the dentist doesn't think I need it. And, he certainly didn't mention it yesterday. But, who knows? Sounds like this will be a time-consuming issue.

#4 ·
Quote:
Thanks. I can't really afford that, but I'll keep it in mind.
an oral surgeon is a doctor so they are usually covered under health insurance, as its not a dental thing but a reconstructive surgery the ortho is hardly covered ever. If you want some good free advice go to a dental school they will usually not charge for a consult and if they do decide to treat you then its usually just cost of materials.

http://www.bcbst.com/MPManual/orthognathic_Surgery.htm

Quote:
even if orthodontia is in my future. I doubt I'll mess with surgery.
if you have adult assymetry there's not much ortho can do for you other than straighten teeth if your parents had you treated as a kid they could have done a lot but as an adult if you have a cross bite, assymetry of the face, overbite, underbite of any magnitude theres not much ortho can do.
Ortho deals with the teeth/bite but it cannot effect jaw change in any great amount especially its limited with the lower jaw.

Quote:
I researched on the internet yesterday and there is rarely enough improvement post-surgery
really? my goodness I think everyone in my support group would not agree with that one. You got to see the pictures, the bites are amazing after but the face can totally change as well mine has.
My bsso changed my life I have not had one headache not one bit of jaw pain as my jaws are now symmetrical and work properly.

Quote:
for me to bother with it if the dentist doesn't think I need it. And, he certainly didn't mention it yesterday.
nor did mine but dentists think teeth health and braces etc can damage the enamel.

Quote:
But, who knows? Sounds like this will be a time-consuming issue.
7 years for me...sigh should be about 9 by the time I am done.

check out the yahoo orthoganathic sugery group. #2 has a very nice woman named Susan that mods it she could answer any specific question you might have. Especially if you are dealing with eye socket cheekbone issues that might be a leforte two or three.

http://www.emedicine.com/plastic/topic177.htm

#5 ·
Thanks so much! I'll look into all that. It's been 7 years? Yikes! I get the feeling my parents knew about this when I was younger. I remember getting a thing put in my mouth to stop me from sucking my thumb and I was going to get braces, etc., but at the last minute they changed their minds. So, now I have to deal with it, I guess. Better late than never...but this just sounds very expensive.

#6 ·
Quote:
Yikes! I get the feeling my parents knew about this when I was younger. I remember getting a thing put in my mouth to stop me from sucking my thumb and I was going to get braces, etc.,
are you a tongue thruster? you push your tongue forward in your mouth not against the roof but against the back of your teeth?

Quote:
Better late than never...but this just sounds very expensive.
actually we are quite young to tackle this most of the people I have seen in the groups I have joined have been from 40-65. Expensive well get coverage then go through hassles of predetermination *usually involving appeals so start documenting pain inconvience now
but all in all out of pocket will be mostly braces so hunt around I paid 2500 for 7 years of braces/ortho... my friend paid 10,000. But from what I have seen if you get some coverage the most would be 10k...ouch I know but well worth it join the group they have tips on who to see how to get what covered. I think I paid in total about 5k for the last 7 years.

#7 ·
Sorry to butt in... but Shiloh, how much did your oral surgery cost you, if it's ok for me to ask? I have issues with my teeth also and went to an ortho and they told me jaw surgery would cost me probably $20,000! Plus then I would need braces and other things. He actually told me that since I've lived with it this long (I'm 28) maybe I shouldn't have anything done at all, since the work I need is so extensive.
And it's hard because people haven't told me I'm ugly or anything and I've always thought I looked ok, but now I feel embarrassed of how I look and don't like meeting people and things like that.
And I know how you feel Lucy, my parents could have had this fixed when I was younger just simply by getting me braces. I even went for a consult, but they didn't want to spend the money on me, even though I was the only child and they had insurance...

#8 ·
well costs for me were minimal as insurance should cover most of it as its not 'dental' not cosmetic etc. its really reconstructive.

No problem I don't mind answering any questions on this as you aren't usually able to find many people you know who have done it.

Braces are usually out of pocket expect 2-10k on that one but it is a deductable medical expense for taxes the odd person has gotten theirs paid for.

Quote:
He actually told me that since I've lived with it this long (I'm 28) maybe I shouldn't have anything done at all, since the work I need is so extensive.
that's nuts. you are 28 you will have another 60 years to go with that jaw! Extensive? Talk to an oral surgeon who does these surgeries often not less than 5 a month. Its usually 1-2 years of braces (1 at a min my teeth were straight and I needed one just to make sure they were in place and wouldn't move)

and expect 6 months of braces after the surgery.

Quote:
And it's hard because people haven't told me I'm ugly or anything and I've always thought I looked ok, but now I feel embarrassed of how I look and don't like meeting people and things like that.
I decided besides the headaches I had to do something as I never smiled showing teeth then I went to my reuinion for school...and people many people said sh*t I wouldnt know it was you until you opened your mouth and I saw your teeth....!!! my teeth were straight but the smile was 'distinctive'.

most hmos, company plans will cover it but you have to fight and have a surgeon who will do your paper work for you. But even if it cost me 20k I'd have done it I can't put a price on this.

I am in Canada so I probably paid about 5k total add in other stupid costs (travel food etc) and probably about 10k max but that's been a 7 year journey partly because they just did the lower jaw not realising my bite was also open hence why the upper had to be done.

Quote:
And I know how you feel Lucy, my parents could have had this fixed when I was younger just simply by getting me braces. I even went for a consult, but they didn't want to spend the money on me, even though I was the only child and they had insurance...
Even if they had done braces there is only so much they could have done I think its worse to have heard from people who did go through years of braces, headgear as a kid only to be back in braces as adults for surgery...this is not an easy or pain free solution to have manipulated the jaw to grow a different way as a kid nor the surgery most people choose not to do it and live with the pain.

The surgery is one of the most extensive you could imagine as your jaw/head is connected to so many things - ears (ringing), saliva, throat, sinuses, nose, the way you talk, etc. But I am an open book on this stuff, dh calls it my hobby and I am blender food queen .... it was an easy way to drop 50 pounds

I had my surgeries done as well while breastfeeding (ds1 was 2 months and 12 months, ds2 was 4 months and is 17 months now and I will be having my hopefully last surgery soon = remove screws and plates)

#10 ·
well if you can have a csection giving birth
you have to ask for anesthetic that won't go through milk or not much (not the fat soluable type) and painkillers you have to be careful about too. Now I did supplement with formula one bottle a night as the liquid diet causes rapid weight loss and although I could have pumped I thought that might stress the body out too much before. Also with this type of surgery you need your sleep so any night wakings dh dealt with.

My surgeons think I am crazy but actually post partum was easier than other times as when you have little ones you aren't trying to do too much.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.