Preparing for Wisdom Tooth Removal? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 06-01-2006, 09:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So I've just been to the dentist and I need to get my wisdom teeth pulled. It's something I've been putting off for a LOOOONG time (I'm a big chicken of anything dental - actually I had my top wisdom teeth filled when they developed cavities because I couldn't deal with having them pulled) It's actually my bottom (impacted) ones that are causing the problem - and they are going to be not fun to come out. Due to the difficulties with these bottom ones the dentist is recommending that I have a dental surgeon do it (under general anesthesia) I'm going to have all four removed at once since I figured if I'm under anyways I might as well.

I have my consultation July 5th - and presumably the surgery will take place some time in August. Is there anything I can take now that will aid in healing - make the procedure somewhat easier (I can hope right I'm not worried about the actual procedure anymore since I'll be out but now I'm a little worried about the recovery since apparently those bottom ones are going to be a problem getting out

Any help/advice would be great!

Kelly

Kelly (35), married to DH and living happily with DD (8), DS (6), DS (3) and introducing brand new baby James b. 1/5/11, always remembering ~Joseph~ b/d March 10, 2001. 
#2 of 7 Old 06-02-2006, 11:42 PM

Hi Kelly,
I had mine out a long time ago--I was 16. I had a general too, w/4 severely impacted wisdom teeth.

I'm not sure this is what you're looking for, but it's what I wish I had known! I can't help w/herbs, etc, I'm sure someone else will.

The only things I can really say:
--have someone to drive you home and stay w/you for a day or 2, until you are with it again and under control pain wise
--beg and plead w/the staff to put vaseline or _something_ all around your mouth/lips during the surgery and after. Then continue at home, or begin if they can't/won't so this. My lips and corners of my mouth got so chapped and dry they cracked and bled. This is way worse than it sounds.
--Take your time recovering. Don't try to force solids and chewing. I did, and ended up w/a horrific infection (not a dry socket, just a regular pus-y infection, couldn't close my mouth, it was swelling down my throat; my poor mom actually pulled an oral surgeon off the golf course on a Sunday, which he later admitted was a good thing). I lost 15 pounds between the extraction and infection.
--Have some very soft foods and good drinks in the fridge/cupboard. I did not eat mashed potatoes for _15 years_ after. I know someone else that didn't eat yogurt for 10. Like Pavlov's dog, I guess

Good luck! You won't remember a thing about the extraction itself.
#3 of 7 Old 06-03-2006, 03:01 PM

Hey, mama. I just had my wisdom teeth removed this past Thursday. All four were erupt and had been for a while. I had them taken out by an oral surgeon under general anesthesia. He was able to pull all four of them. I haven't had much swelling, bleeding, etc. I have eaten mostly homeade soups, fruit sauces, steamed veggies, and other soft things. The pain hasn't been too bad. I did the perscription pain meds for the first 24 hours post-op, but have since been taking only advil every 6 hours.

I had an infection before I had the teeth extracted and that was WAY more painful than it is now. I recommend salt water rinses, cold packs, and patience. You will be relieved when it is over! Everyone has a different experience. Mine has been good thus far. I know that pulling isn't as hard a recovery as getting them cut out, but I think each person does heal differently. I wish you luck

Beth, Mama to dd , wife to dh , teacher :~ Living, Loving, Learning...everyday.
#4 of 7 Old 06-05-2006, 08:10 PM

at a min two days I have had many jaw surgeries and even my wisdom teeth out you can feel 'okay' the day of surgery but the next day things can go south quickly especially if you tend to barf.... your body also has that hit by truck feeling the next day.

1. stock your fav soft foods broths, freezies, popscicles keep them clear you can do stuff with stuff I just always found I got worried that stuff would get in my stitches. For me its ensure (barf) I loved the instant mashed pot and gravy until I read how many calories were in the family pack (over 1200)

2. the freezer mumps packs rock rock.

but everyone is different for my wisdom teeth I was really only groggy for about an hour later on that day and the next day fine, I have had screw and plate removals that should have been far less traumatic that weren't.

relax and I hear pinapple juice is good presurgery.

8 might be enough
#5 of 7 Old 06-13-2006, 03:38 PM

I know mine will need to come out and just reading this makes me feel even more anxious.
#6 of 7 Old 06-13-2006, 03:56 PM

I had three removed since my fourth NEVER grew in. I ONLY had two shots of novocaine on each side and was completely awake for the whole thing. Two were impacted too. I am glad I wasn't incapacitated.
#7 of 7 Old 06-13-2006, 04:49 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi just to say, I had all 4 of my wisdom teeth removed at the same time on a LOCAL. Just a lot of pain for the next week, and thats it for me. The worse pain is the pain that goes up to your ears from your jaw, thats what hurt for me the most. Lots of advil every 4 hours and no eating unless soups or very soft stuff. No smoking!!!! And just lie around doing less as possible. (if you can)

Me and my wonderful husband serve God. Blessed with twin girls 2/11/11. <3

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page