Cavities: How much is genetics? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-07-2006, 07:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DD, now 3.5, had major dental work when she was 18 months due to cavities. We had to put her under general anesthesia. It was horrible. Since then she is cavity free because we changed our diet and insisted on her having better dental hygine along with some temporary routines that we phased out as she showed signs of remaining decay free (small amounts of GSE in her drinking water to help kill bacteria, xylitol, etc). Side note: She still nurses and while our dentist said not weaning her would cause more cavities, she is proving our dentist wrong!

DS, still nursing as well, came along in March 2005. Needless to say, when he began teething, we were extremely faithful in keeping good dental hygine and he has been on our fairly whole foods diet since he began solids. Much to our shock and dismay, we found decay on his teeth last week. I KNOW this isn't my fault. As best I could, I did everything right this time around. Hence, my question. Everything I read says genetics doesn't play that big a part in cavities, yet, my son was not a prime candidate for them and now he has some.

All I can assume is that it must be genetics, but I have no way of knowing....however, my side of the family does have a long history of lots of cavities and other dental problems......

So how big a role does genetics really play in cavities?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2006, 08:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yes! I've always had pretty decent oral hygiene habits & every molar in my mouth has a filling. Asked the dentist once about this -- since my DH it's a big flosser/toothbrusher (he does, just not a couple times a day like me!) but has only 1 cavity -- and he said that some people just have softer enamel and there's not a lot you can do about it. My dad had dentures from the time he was in his mid-twenties & my mom has gum disease/filling/root canals. My brother also has lots of fillings.

I worry about DD too. Mostly because she still takes milk in bottles/sippys, but I am diligent about brushing her teeth & am going to be adding xylitol as another preventative measure. We also don't eat many sweets, try to do mostly whole foods, etc. I just hope she got her dad's teeth & NOT mine! Also, she's 20 months. When I go to see the dentist this summer she's coming along & he's agreed to do a quick check on her (since he doesn't normally recommend visits until 3 years).

HTH!

Holly

User Tag List