Fever Blisters - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 09-26-2006, 02:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Wasnt sure where else to post this. Does anyoe know a natural way to get rid of a feverblister? DD has a respitory infection and has lovingly passed part of it to me and now I have a huge growth on my lip. I know they have stuff like abreva to get rid of it but I am looking for a more natural remedy and also something that wont cost me alot of money. Thanks in Advance.
#2 of 8 Old 09-26-2006, 07:03 PM

Wow, I can't think of anything other than Abreva (my best friend swears by it)or a perscription but I'll be interested to find out what everyone else has to say. My grandmother told me to use camphor (sp?)
Sorry to hear you're feeling bad. I suffer from fever blisters also and when I do..boy do I feel cruddy!:

Dawn
#3 of 8 Old 09-26-2006, 07:04 PM

Oh, but I forgot to say that the last time I got one, I just used hydrogen peroxide to keep it dried up and then a little blistex. I don't know that it went away any faster, but it didn't feel as bad.
#4 of 8 Old 10-09-2006, 02:06 PM

There are some herbal remedies, such as lemon balm/Melissa, which is supposed to work....also, you can get natural docosonal, the ingredient in Abreva, which is also supposed to work...

honestly though, once you have Herpes, you always have it.
By keeping your body strong and healthy, you can minimize outbreaks....but everyone has a different trigger...sunlight, being sick (hence the term "fever blisters), chocolate, sterss...these can all be triggers. Peraonlly, gettin really good nutrition, including green food drinks or juices, helpes a lot....
Lysine is another way to minimize outbreaks and help speed healing....

I always keep abreva around...becuse if you put it on at the first tingling, it really DOES prevent an attack....

CPST
#5 of 8 Old 10-11-2006, 10:08 PM

Peppermint oil kills the herpes virus on contact. Even abreva can't do that. (Abreva just makes it difficult/impossible for the virus to invade the surrounding cells.) If you ever feel that tingling sensation that generally precedes a cold sore, just apply straight peppermint oil to the spot a few times a day. Since you already have one, there's probably not much you can do right now, though. The main thing is to catch them before they get to the point of a full blown blister. I would put the peppermint oil on anyway, but I don't know that it's going to cure it once the blister is already there, because that means the virus has already invaded all those cells and it's just going to take a while for that to heal, even if you kill all the virus.
#6 of 8 Old 10-13-2006, 12:51 AM

Taking mega doses of buffered vitamin c really helps shorten the lifespan of my fever blisters. I started it after i noticed an almost immediate flareup after a company bbq picnic. I figured it was all those carcinogens I just consumed on the charred food so I was trying to take something I knew was an antioxidant.
#7 of 8 Old 10-13-2006, 12:19 PM

I am prone to these and I swear by a paste of baking soda and water. I just discovered this recently and it works a lot better than anything else I have ever tried. The only drawback is that you can't really go out in public with a big white blob on your lip - lol. It looks like you had a tooth paste accident or something. But, when I am at home, if I'm getting a fever blister, I gob the baking soda paste on.
#8 of 8 Old 10-13-2006, 09:23 PM

I have heard that the supplement Lysine is good for cold sores, check this out with someone at your local health food store. Also their is a balm I get from the health food store that has Lysine in it call "Super Lysine", which is topically applied.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page