Ok i'm getting tired of toothbrushing issues - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 20 Old 11-08-2006, 07:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was reading another toothbrushing thread, should I pin them, should I not. Am I the only one who doesn't think brushing is as big a deal?

Maybe it's because there are so many old people I know with a whole lot of their own teeth who have hardly ever brushed.

And seriously I'm not in the mood to argue about it, I'm just wondering if anyone has had a knowledgable person on the subject tell them that you don'[t need to brush for X amount of time X times a day. I just swipe the teeth when I see an opening for my son letting me. I have a dentist friend who's wife is a homeopath and they both believe that you don't necessarily even need to use toothpaste. But they live on the natural side of things and don't eat sugar and things

I'm getting really annoyed at all of the toothbrushing dilema I guess it's a choice every one has to make for their kids, I just can't see forcing them too...but maybe it's becuse I've never really had too...or maybe because I never even thought about forcing is why he is willing....I dunno

I probably shouldn't even be starting this thread
#2 of 20 Old 11-08-2006, 08:02 PM

Well, we have very bad teeth. I hardly brushed as a kid, now I have no less than 7 teeth rotting currently! And no insurance to help us pay for all the dental work. So yeah, for us it's important. DS is only 7m so it's not really an issue for us. And I wouldn't like hold him down and force him to brush his teeth or anything, but yes, he will be expected to brush his teeth at LEAST once a day, I'm hoping he can avoid all the issues (and horrible pain) that I'm having to go through!
#3 of 20 Old 11-08-2006, 08:08 PM - Thread Starter

maybe i"m just lucky, we brush like at least 2 times a day and it' s never been a battle
#4 of 20 Old 11-08-2006, 08:32 PM

Can't advise about how to get kids to brush thier teeth, but I can tell you that I've NEVER been a regular toothbrusher. (I was one of those kids that would run the toothbrush under water to make is LOOK like I brushed )

Currently, I brush less than once a day, and I've never had braces, cavities, andything. Still have my wisdom teeth!

All that said and done, I think genetics has a lot to do with it. I think I'm just lucky and I've got some good, strong teeth that aren't predisposed to cavities. My husband brushes twice a day with a fancy toothbrush and he's had several cavities and 3 root canals.

Personally, I would encourage brushing enough to get by in social situations. I had a friend in school who must have never brushed or else had funny teeth, as she always had visible food remains stuck in her teeth. (not like, seeds or lettuce, but the yellowish stuff that builds up after meals) She got really harassed by other students because of it.

~Julia
#5 of 20 Old 11-08-2006, 09:20 PM

I have to say after learnign more about GD and letting go of lots of things that used to be battles, I gave up "making" my 3yo brush her teeth. It was still part of her routine, still tried to brush them for her, or let her brush, but we were down to every other day, once a day on average. She has also discovered lollipops and does eat cookies and ice cream occasionally. Last week she went for her 2nd dental cleaning and guess what? She has a cavity! The dentist said it's part of life, don't beat yourself over it!
#6 of 20 Old 11-08-2006, 10:03 PM

IMO, teethbrushing IS that big a deal! Thankfully, I have never had any problems having my kids brush. They just do it, without me even asking now. However, IF I HAD to pin them to brush, I would. Not negotiable. Car seats & teethbrushing are a MUST, like it or not. I was never made to brush my teeth & I have horrific teeth! I have suffered SO much pain with them, I refuse to allow my children to go down this path. I get angry that I wasn't MADE to brush & I vowed my children will never say their teeth hurt because *I* failed to do anything.

~Marie : Mom to DS(11), DS(10), DD(8), DD(4), DD(2), & Happily Married to DH 12 yrs.!
#7 of 20 Old 11-08-2006, 10:10 PM

Another tooth brushing thread? HAHAHA...

Well, here is my experience.. I have only had one cavity in my life, tooth brushing was never a huge thing for me..

My kids have never had cavities, and we don't force the brushing issue... HOWEVER... they don't mind brushing their teeth. They actually like it *gasp* and always have. Hmmm....

Carol
Momma to Patrick (8) Corey (7) Lilah- My UBA2C (11 months)
#8 of 20 Old 11-08-2006, 11:16 PM

My question is, why do kids start out like brushing is the neatest thing and then (in my son's case) decide that it's no longer fun? I danced with DS to get him interested in brushing when he was around 1 and he danced along with me for about a year. It was great!

However, sometime after his 2nd birthday he lost interest altogether. He simply does not care to get the "food bugs" out or following his bedtime routine period. Every once in a blue moon, he'll brush alongside his dad, but most nights, he wails when I ask him to brush. I give him the choice of either he brushes or I'll do it, and he usually asks me to do it. Don't mind doing it as it's only once a day (for now).

I wonder what the big deal is. I mean, most kids like water and a nice-tasting gel... It only takes a couple of minutes. Don't they like the feeling of shiny, smooth, clean teeth?
#9 of 20 Old 11-09-2006, 12:52 AM

As a PP pointed out, "good" or "bad" teeth may be genetic, but how do you know which parent's teeth your child will get?

IMO, it's not worth risking having your child go through having cavities filled or even having teeth pulled.

It's been a battle with our DS to get his teeth brushed, but things are getting better and it's really not THAT bad considering how sad it would be to see him scared of getting a filling.

Why are some of our kids so durned persnickety about brushing??? Little rats!

Erin, mommy to ds April 2004 and dd : February 2007
#10 of 20 Old 11-09-2006, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 425lisamarie View Post
Am I the only one who doesn't think brushing is as big a deal?
Me me me! I know I am a minority here, but my kids only started brushing when they could do it themselves and kinda understood what they are doing. Let me see if I can "dig out" my earlier posting on this matter (and no, unfortunately I am not a "knowledgable person" you are looking for, I am just another "don't see it as a big deal" mama )

ETA: Here is what I said before
Quote:
My grandama NEVER brushed her teeth (it just wasn't a "thing to do") At the age of 82 she had oh... three crowns and the rest of the teeth were her own (may she rest in peace)

I was not even introduced to the concept until I was like 5 and did not establish a habit until I was around 8 or so. I had my first cavity during my first pregnancy (calcium deficiency, may be? I did not know much back then). Not the "perfect" dental health, but ykmim

With BOTH of my kids I got somewhat serious when there were some teeth to talk about - when they were past 2 yo of age. So far both 19yo and 6yo are cavity free.
Here is the full discussion http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=540585
#11 of 20 Old 11-09-2006, 01:26 AM

I have tried everything under the sun to get dd to like having her teeth brushed and sometimes still have to pin her down to do it. I only insist on once a day, but she REALLY doesn't like it and she already has one front tooth showing brown on the side and developing cavities. She's only 2 and 4 months, I can not make her understand that we need to do this to avoid pain and I have very weak teeth, I brush twice a day and floss whenever I get the time (usually two or three times a week). I have cavities every time I go to the dentist, I now need a root canal and dentist visits always mean pain for me.
My dh on the other hand has had maybe three cavities his whole life (I get at least that many a year) and he has pretty much the exact same dental hygiene practices as I do.

Despite never allowing dd to eat sticky sweets, or raisins and she drinks water or breastmilk except at breakfast when she has some juice or a smoothie and she already has problems. Not toothbrushing isn't an option, it has to be done to save her from pain.
#12 of 20 Old 11-09-2006, 01:28 AM - Thread Starter

ok, so I'm not totally insane

I wonder sometimes why it's such a struggle, I mean I feel bad for kids who hate it, I feel bad for those with bad teeth....but like someone said, some of it is just how it's gonna be toothbrushing or not.

I was just a little irked about a certain post stating if you brush with a floride/chemical toothpaste you will have a much better chance of not having cavities. I dunno, to each their own I suppose....but I would think people who are 100% organic might find it a bit offensive...maybe not....but I'm assuming those people don't use crest or aquafresh or soemthing of the sort.

I mean, I DO think that toothbrushing is a very good idea, but really if you think about it, i'ts not logical to me....such as: Most people I know brush in the am upon waking, and sometime at night. Most people I know also eat snacks, drink coffee, juice and other such things. So if apple juice has been on your teeth all day, by the time you brush I would think it's not doing a whole lotta good? I was raised to alwasy "swish" after things like fruit, and I've only had 2 small cavities, never braces or any other problem with gums or anything.

I wonder if maybe I don't really have it that easy and my DS has not always liked it much. I refuse to have struggles in my home, so if DS was not in the mood I guess I never really thouight of it, a couple minutes later I would try to swipe them for a second, or have him drink water. Or maybe it's the fact that he knows I don't make a deal of things so he doesn't mind doing them, because he understands WHY I want him to brush....

Enough of my babbling, maybe I"ll jsut stop worrying about what other people do as far as forcing and whatnot. I was just becoming upset about the idea of pinning a babe down to brush teeth, since I think that may really set them up for being afraid of dental hygiene, or at least resentful of it.

thanks everyone...and I hope all your babes grow up with healthy teeth n gums
#13 of 20 Old 11-09-2006, 01:29 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by irinam View Post
Me me me! I know I am a minority here, but my kids only started brushing when they could do it themselves and kinda understood what they are doing. Let me see if I can "dig out" my earlier posting on this matter (and no, unfortunately I am not a "knowledgable person" you are looking for, I am just another "don't see it as a big deal" mama )

ETA: Here is what I said before

Here is the full discussion http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=540585
no your not a minority....maybe I"m dumb but I didn't think toothbrushes were necesary at such a young age :. I used a baby washcloth
#14 of 20 Old 11-09-2006, 01:35 AM

I now loveee and find it very important to brush my teeth because not only it refreshes my moth and breath but... when i was younger i had many cavities in my teeth and many people would just laugh at me.. (and thats hy i got the habit of hesitating befuar laughing..
SOOO.. i now take real real good care of my teeth..
#15 of 20 Old 11-09-2006, 02:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 425lisamarie View Post
I mean, I DO think that toothbrushing is a very good idea, but really if you think about it, i'ts not logical to me....such as: Most people I know brush in the am upon waking, and sometime at night. Most people I know also eat snacks, drink coffee, juice and other such things. So if apple juice has been on your teeth all day, by the time you brush I would think it's not doing a whole lotta good? I was raised to alwasy "swish" after things like fruit, and I've only had 2 small cavities, never braces or any other problem with gums or anything.
Good point. The bacteria produce acid that attack your teeth for 20 minutes. So, if all the food you eat is out of your mouth, then brushing a half hour after eating wouldn't prevent any tooth attacking acid.
Though, if you did have food particles stuck in your teeth, then toothbrushing would help. But for young kids with huge spaces between their teeth, I don't see that happening as often as it would for an adult.

Swishing is probably a great habit to get into. Actually, it seems like it would probably be a better way to reduce acid to swish every time compared to brushing twice a day. But I never would have gotten ds to swish after eating sweets. Even now, I really doubt he'd get it! lol

But, I still have to say that toothbrushing is a big deal here. Though we have worked really hard, and now we do it without forcing it. It takes a lot of creativity and patience!! lol
Ds had cavities and fillings already, and that sucked! His enamel is wearing away from his front teeth, so his top front teeth are majorly discolored and look like the top halves are brown. I really hope he won't get made fun of for that.

Becky, partner to Teague, SAHM to Keagan (7yo), Jonah (2yo)

#16 of 20 Old 11-09-2006, 02:35 AM

For future search purposes, this would probably fit best in Dental

I have retired from administration work, so if you have a question about anything MDC-related, please contact Cynthia Mosher. Thanks!

#17 of 20 Old 11-09-2006, 02:35 AM

When my 13-month old doesn't want to brush I don't make her. I have been feeling guilty about this lately and this post made me feel better about letting her do her thing. Do people really pin kids down to brush? That seems a little to dramatic or should I say traumatic (for parent and kid).
#18 of 20 Old 11-09-2006, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilliansmom View Post
When my 13-month old doesn't want to brush I don't make her. I have been feeling guilty about this lately and this post made me feel better about letting her do her thing. Do people really pin kids down to brush? That seems a little to dramatic or should I say traumatic (for parent and kid).
I wonder if it's a "bay area" thing
#19 of 20 Old 11-09-2006, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilliansmom View Post
Apparently so.. even seemingly "gentle" parents.. *shrug* to each their own I guess..

Carol
Momma to Patrick (8) Corey (7) Lilah- My UBA2C (11 months)
#20 of 20 Old 11-09-2006, 10:28 AM

I grew up with no flouride in the water (well water) and now have lots of amalgam in my mouth.... We use electric tooth brush + flouride + flossing + xylitol chewing gum. So I am not getting more cavities right now....

It is hard to fill cavities in young kids, so our goal is not to have them start. Hence almost no candy, and lots of brushing.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page