holes in kid's teeth, not discolored?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 12-13-2006, 07:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
first I wanna say that neither DH nor I have ever had cavities, so this is totally foreign to me. My oldest child is five and has absolutely perfect teeth. My little one just turned three and has these obvious holes in some of her teeth. She eats no sugar, very little dairy, no citrus or other acidic foods like tomatos (we have numerous major food allergy/sensitivity issues, are gluten-free, but do eat a very healthy diet). She is still nursing LOTS. These holes are not black nor discolored in any way, just little round indentations in the enamel. But, her teeth have always been kinda splotchy looking, not nice and uniform in color. I will be taking her to the dentist as soon as I can figure out what dentist to see. But in the meantime, I need some help, advice, support, information, links, whatever. My mother has really rotten teeth, though, so I'm terrified my littlest one has inherited that from her. Help!!
#2 of 9 Old 12-14-2006, 02:18 PM

I've seen this a lot with kids that grind their teeth. Have you taken her to see a dentist yet? We're now recommending a visit to the dentist by age one. (Many dentists don't like seeing children this young though). There is usually no treatment necessary for tooth attrition on baby teeth.
#3 of 9 Old 12-14-2006, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter

I had to look up what "attrition" means. I don't think that's it. This is a perfectly round hole, on the front of her canine tooth, right at the gumline. It is not brown or black or grayish. There is no odor of decay present, either. When I shined a light in her mouth, it appears that all of her upper teeth have tiny cracks running through them, and more holes/dents all over (why not the lower teeth?). My intuitions says this is a nutrition issue, possibly from chronic candida? (but I can't find any info online or elsewhere to back me up.) She eats a much healthier diet than her sister did at this age, yet big sis has the most perfect teeth imaginable. The main difference being that big sis never had thrush or other forms of candida, and little one seems to have those issues constantly.

edited to add - funny, big sis is the one who grinds her teeth... we've pretty much remedied that with a never-ending supply of baby carrots in easy reach.
#4 of 9 Old 12-14-2006, 11:31 PM

Hmmm. Now I am curious about these mysterious holes. If it is on the outside surface of the teeth it could be decalcification which is the beginning of a cavity. Thrush is caused by yeast which does not effect the teeth, only soft tissue. A visit to a dentist should calm your fears. Get a recommendation for one that likes seeing kids. A pediatric dentist is usually not necessary unless you're child needs extensive dental work. As a side note, you mentioned that your mother has cavities. A cavity is caused by a bacteria that can be spread from person to person by kissing on the mouth or sharing drinks or utensils. Good luck. Hope I helped a little.
#5 of 9 Old 12-15-2006, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter

but couldn't systemic candida effect the intestines' ability to absorb the nutrients needed to grow strong healthy teeth?
#6 of 9 Old 12-15-2006, 04:52 PM

The baby teeth form during pregnancy. They start erupting around 4-6 months.
#7 of 9 Old 12-16-2006, 04:39 PM

You're describing exactly what happened with my little one when he was 9-12 months. His teeth were a little splotchy for three months, and then at 12 he developed a little hole exactly as you described. Today, if I had things to do over again, I would had taken him to the dentist upon noticing the splotchiness. I waited until the hole showed up, and ended up having to schedule something a month away. That hole stayed white for about 1 month, and then it turned a light brown/golden. Then his tooth started disintigrating. Within a week, his tooth was gone from the hole to the bottom of the tooth; the hole had been on the front, middle upper portion of the tooth next to his front two. Within the next week, the story was repeating itself on the matching tooth on the other side.

If I were you I would insist on bringing him in as soon as possible. Maybe they can just scoop that little hole out and put a sealant in it before it progresses. I'd also start brushing three times a day. I'd also consider wiping his teeth off at night after nursing. It's horrible and time-consuming, believe me, but the whole situation of tooth decay in a baby is heartbreaking and things look a lot differently when you're looking back on things.

I hope that all of that doesn't apply to you. But your description strikes close to home and I try to take these opportunities to share my experience in hopes that other moms will act quicker than I did.

Sara ~ one dh + one 5yo boy + baby in 2011
#8 of 9 Old 12-20-2006, 03:29 PM

Hi,

The indents are a nutrient deficiency. The faster your child grows, the higher their nutrient needs are.

Drink grass fed raw milk, and eat yellow grass fed raw butter, lots of bone soup broths, it will likely improve. Get some high vitamin butter oil.

Rami
#9 of 9 Old 01-13-2007, 01:50 AM

Sounds like a simple congenital enamel defect, Stafl. Sometimes the enamel is just not made perfectly evenly, and there are variations in the color and the texture.

It's a little more prone to decay just because the bacteria can hide more easily there in the "divot", but as long as it's solid, not soft or leathery, it's nothing to worry about. I do second having your dentist check and make sure it's solid, but if it's been there since eruption, I'm layin' my bets now on congenital enamel defect.

And hi! I love our senior names.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page