when to start toddler on flouride toothpaste - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 01-07-2007, 05:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My DS is 2 1/2 yrs old. I religiously brush his teeth every night and floss between the three teeth that are close enough together to. He has brown areas inbetween those three teeth though. I don't do a half ass job either- I scrub those puppies! I am thinking that along with bringing him in for a cleaning I should change his toothpaste to flouride to help with the build up. Any thoughts? Is it too young to expect him to spit all the flouride out and is it really that detrimental for them to swallow a little?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 01-08-2007, 02:53 AM

I think this is a very personal decision...I liken it to the decision to vaccinate or not. I would suggest you research fluoride so that you can make a truly informed decision, esp. since at 2 1/2, I don't think it is guarunteed that none will be swallowed.

Personally, after researching the topic and then reading "The Fluoride Deception", I have chose to forgo fluoride. Our tap water is fluoridated and we drink only bottled water even. But, again, it is a heavy decision, esp when there are signs of decay on our children's teeth. :

Good luck!

Mama to ds#1 (7) and a ds#2 (1 1/2)
Homebirth midwife
#3 of 3 Old 01-08-2007, 03:20 AM

Our dentist recomended NOT using any toothpaste with the Fluoride until the child can NOT swallow the paste and spit it all out--the reason being that it can actually harm and cause discoloration on the permanent, adult teeth forming in the gums... I didn't think it was such a big deal, but he was pretty firm about this. When my oldest was 4 we he began to spit and not swallow the paste...

He recomended 1) healthy food (try to avoid starchy snacks) 2) brushing well (and what you are doing, brushing your child's teeth) 3) using Xilitol (sp?) products or a gel after eating and with brushing... you can find products that contain this natural sugar at most health food stores (tom's of main makes a toothpaste that has it and doesn't have fluoride...)...

this stuff has been a great help to our family--it does something to the sugar bugs that keeps them from harming teeth.

I think I would tollerate a little decay on the baby teeth to preserve the health of the adult teeth--but ask your dentist what they think. Maybe using it once a week would be better?

hh2.gif  ~~~~~~~~~~hh2.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page