Help me with flouride drops and toothpaste - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 01-26-2007, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What are the pro's and con's to using flouride drops? Are they safe? Will my child have more cavity's without the flouride drops?

What should I be using to brush my 13 month olds teeth? I have been just using water but he has 8 teeth and 3 molars and I am wondering if I should start using toothpaste.

Thanks for your help. Kamie

Mommy to DS (12-05) DD (9-10) wife to DH :
(2/05, 6/06, 6/08, 9/08 ) Due 5/11
#2 of 11 Old 01-26-2007, 12:38 PM

Hello Kamie,

Here is my understanding of fluoride....

The pro of fluoride is that it helps to harden the surface of the tooth. When teeth first emerge they are in a more delicate state. The enamel is not complete. So the baby teeth newly emerged are vulnerable.

The main con in my mind is its toxcicity. Though in small amounts many claim that this does not matter. Here is a link http://www.shirleys-wellness-cafe.com/fluoride.htm
In fact too much fluoride can cause teeth to become brittle. I remember as a young child having big white spots on my teeth which is a sign of fluorosis.

On a deeper level I feel that are society has become very externally based. People from societies that do not eat the refined, packaged fast foods that we eat have beautiful teeth because they ate a mineral rich diet. On the other hand the western cultures have not done this so from generation to generation that eats poorly we pass on these traits. We tend to do things from the outside. I just heard of how seals are being recommended. This to me is a false assurance that does not realize that the state of the teeth is an reflection of the health inside the body.

In my research , and in school I have learned that fluoridated water is unhealthy as is injesting fluoride. The only way that sounds even effective and not as toxic is wiping a small amount of fluoride on the teeth and wipe off. It can cause nausea if injested. Though if your child does not have cavities it would probably be even better to not feed them sticky dried fruits which stick between teeth and crevices, orange juice which is acidic on teeth(even though it is wonderful and alkaline in the body) It is pretty acidic for emerging teeth especially when they do not want to brush afterwards...), and eat a mineral rich diet. If you are still nursing you can drink horsetail, nettle tea, etc.....my son loves this as well...eat sea weeds, carrot juice is high in calcium....teeth need calcium, phosphorous, vit d(regular sunlight, spirulina).....then you are healing from the inside out. then you are making strong teeth and at the same time not exposing the new teeth to things that will weaken them.

Again these are just my ideas I am an herbalist and have recently looked into this for my sons teeth. Water should be fine. There is also a product called xylitol gel that some use (health food store).This is a naturally occuring sugar that bacteria will not eat.good luck!
#3 of 11 Old 01-26-2007, 05:20 PM

Here's a link with a pro flouride site and anti flouride site side by side:

http://www.gjne.com/fluoride/cons-pros.htm

An excellent alternative is a toothpaste or tooth mouse with remineralizing agents that can help keep the teeth and enamel strong. Recaldent or Novamin are two.
#4 of 11 Old 01-26-2007, 11:14 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Penelopeh,

Lots of good info! Please keep posting!!

I'm a single working mom of 3 wonderful kiddos. 

#5 of 11 Old 01-26-2007, 11:18 PM

Too, we can't dismiss the role genetics plays. We have well water and have never used fluoride of any kind. My kids have great, healthy, teeth.

Just another variable to consider
#6 of 11 Old 01-27-2007, 01:00 PM

Has there been any study of genetics influencing tooth health and strength?
Based on Weston Price's study, genetics has nothing to do with it, it's all nutrition. Just like the strength of your bones would be due to minerals and fat soluble vitamins in your diet.
#7 of 11 Old 01-27-2007, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusyMommy View Post
Too, we can't dismiss the role genetics plays. We have well water and have never used fluoride of any kind. My kids have great, healthy, teeth.

Just another variable to consider
mind if I print this out to show my DH?

seriously- this one issue is one we cannot agree on. I have read through my research that flouride is found everywhere, in foods even in well water. And that adding more to a child's body is just toxic. sometimes it's bad to get too much of a "good thing". (if it is at all good)
My dh argues that it saved his teeth. He does have great teeth- but like someone else said- is it genetics?
My gums are terrible- teeth are strong and we had well water with flouride toothpaste.
I personally try to stay away from anything with an -ide at the end of the name!

http://groups.google.com/group/Fluor...151194da7a5f54

Mama to 5 babies. UCer, too!
#8 of 11 Old 01-27-2007, 05:52 PM

What I have read about fluoride makes me fear it anywhere near my body. Since it denatures enzymes, it is toxic to organic tissue, and I can't imagine being able to keep it off my gums. I have been advised to use xylitol rinse or myrrh as an antibacterial, and keep the teeth strong and healthy with nutrition and cleaning.
#9 of 11 Old 01-27-2007, 05:55 PM

Floride = Toxic waste = = don't use floride drops
#10 of 11 Old 01-28-2007, 03:49 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all that info and links. Is Recaldent, Novamin, and xylitol gels that you put on like toothpaste? Is it safe to swallow? I have baby oragel tooth and gum cleanser is this safe to use? What about baking soda and water as toothpaste?

Mommy to DS (12-05) DD (9-10) wife to DH :
(2/05, 6/06, 6/08, 9/08 ) Due 5/11
#11 of 11 Old 01-31-2007, 01:21 PM

just want to be part of this thread! Great info on flouride - just what I'm looking for!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page