What does it cost for amalgam removal? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 02-02-2007, 01:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yup, got a mouth full of mercury

We are on a tight budget and seeing how our dental insurance won't cover this, I was wondering what it costs.

Can anyone give me a ballpark figure of what you paid per tooth? Some of my fillings are small and some are larger (covering almost the entire tooth).

This is something we'd have to save up for, but seeing as I'm breastfeeding a newborn it will be a while before I'm done and could start removing the amagams. Just curious how much we'd have to save.

Naomi, mama to Faith (12/03) and Hannah (12/06) and Kai, a homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg on 5/15/10
#2 of 7 Old 02-02-2007, 02:09 PM

I had an amalgam removed and replaced with composite and they only charged me for the composite, not the removal. The composites were around $120 each.

Nicole, mom of 3. Mitochondrial Disease.: Epilepsy
#3 of 7 Old 02-02-2007, 02:30 PM

From my understanding, the large ones will need to be replaced with crowns, which are pretty expensive. I had 10 amalgams of varying sizes, but most very large. To get them all removed and replaced I am looking at about $11,000. A crown runs at $900 to $1200, a composite filling at $150-$300. I'm in Oregon, and I did shop around a little but was limited to dentist who practice safe amalgam removal in my area. So, I compared two dentist.

It continues to tick me off that this stuff isn't covered by health insurance.

Sara ~ one dh + one 5yo boy + baby in 2011
#4 of 7 Old 02-02-2007, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maybeknott View Post
From my understanding, the large ones will need to be replaced with crowns, which are pretty expensive. I had 10 amalgams of varying sizes, but most very large. To get them all removed and replaced I am looking at about $11,000. A crown runs at $900 to $1200, a composite filling at $150-$300. I'm in Oregon, and I did shop around a little but was limited to dentist who practice safe amalgam removal in my area. So, I compared two dentist.

It continues to tick me off that this stuff isn't covered by health insurance.
Holy crap that is expensive! I had 7 amalgams replaced with resin by a holistic dentist using IAMOT protocol Just north of Manhattan for $1300. Just FYI I've been shopping around for a dentist to remove DH's amalgam. I found out that DeltaDental will cover the cost of replacing with amalgam, but not composite. Here in OK we can sign up with them and only pay the difference in cost between the amalgam and composite fillings. Might be worth checking out.
#5 of 7 Old 02-02-2007, 04:25 PM

Most of mine will be replaced with ceramic crowns or onlays

Sara ~ one dh + one 5yo boy + baby in 2011
#6 of 7 Old 02-02-2007, 08:39 PM

I replaced two with synthetic white stuff. The average life of that type of filling is around 7 years. They tend to shrink slightly and allow bacteria to cause continued decay. I paid about $150 a tooth. I have a lot of sensitivity with these fillings. I did not have the metal ones removed according to protocol and got sick. I felt horrible for a couple of weeks and then found a holistic dentist to do the last two.

They cost $950 a tooth for porcelain onlays. According to my holistic dentist, they last for "decades". I looked them up online and they are supposed to last at least 30 plus years. There are no problems with sensitivity. They seal very well, under an electron microscope you can see the tooth and the only bonded together. My dentist said he hasn't seen any problems with continued decay. I am very happy with them. I wish I had done the first two this way.

Don't know what my insurance will pay on these, the paid half of the synthetic stuff.

I have heard rumors about estrogenizing effects of regular white fillings. Don't know if that is true.
#7 of 7 Old 02-05-2007, 10:29 PM

how painful is the filling removal?
can you have it done while breast feeding?

thanks.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page