Fillings keep falling out of his teeth! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 02-08-2007, 03:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My 2 year old had his four front teeth drilled and filled by the gum line with composite fillings. They keep coming out! We are going in for the 2nd time within one year to have them refilled. This is crazy. Each time we give oral sedation and it kills me each time. Does this dentist just suck or is there good reason they are falling out? HELP!
#2 of 4 Old 02-08-2007, 06:02 PM

[QUOTE=mom to 3 boys;7246619]My 2 year old had his four front teeth drilled and filled by the gum line with composite fillings. They keep coming out! We are going in for the 2nd time within one year to have them refilled. This is crazy. Each time we give oral sedation and it kills me each time. Does this dentist just suck or is there good reason they are falling out? HELP![

Im sorry for what you are going through. I totally understand. My 2 year old son had his 2 front teeth filled at the gumline also. After about 2 months, we had to go back in to have it done again, because the fillings came out. They said any trama to the front teeth will cause this. Also, if he bites into anything hard, like an apple, it could happen also.

It kills me to have this done, because they strap my child down, wrap him up and pappose him to keep him still, and he screams for help the whole time. I wish there was treatment that didnt involve torturing the child. That age does not understand. They just know that someone is being mean to them, in their eyes. So, I totally understand. A Very Protective Mother.
#3 of 4 Old 02-08-2007, 07:53 PM - Thread Starter

[QUOTE=babycakescom;7248407]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom to 3 boys View Post
My 2 year old had his four front teeth drilled and filled by the gum line with composite fillings. They keep coming out! We are going in for the 2nd time within one year to have them refilled. This is crazy. Each time we give oral sedation and it kills me each time. Does this dentist just suck or is there good reason they are falling out? HELP![

Im sorry for what you are going through. I totally understand. My 2 year old son had his 2 front teeth filled at the gumline also. After about 2 months, we had to go back in to have it done again, because the fillings came out. They said any trama to the front teeth will cause this. Also, if he bites into anything hard, like an apple, it could happen also.

It kills me to have this done, because they strap my child down, wrap him up and pappose him to keep him still, and he screams for help the whole time. I wish there was treatment that didnt involve torturing the child. That age does not understand. They just know that someone is being mean to them, in their eyes. So, I totally understand. A Very Protective Mother.
OY! alright.. I'll be keeping a closer eye on what he is bitting into. He loves apples. I'll just cut them up for him.. hopefully that will help. thank you!

I was scared that it was the dentist.. He is wonderful with my kids! I really like him. And you can tell that he doesn't like to keep doing this. You can see the concern in his face when he told me we needed to get them filled again. I just wanted to make sure that he wasn't the reason this was happening.

My ds has 2 older brothers and they play pretty rough.. that could also be a concern with them falling out, yes?
#4 of 4 Old 02-24-2007, 10:54 PM

Kelley -- It's not just your dentist, it happens here too. My 3 year old had root canals on his two top front teeth a year ago after a fall damaged them both. The dentist was not sure she could save the teeth, as she thought there was a pretty good chance of abcess, so they were filled rather than capped after the root canal. We've had to replace the fillings twice so far, and the dentist said that it was quite common. In my ds's case, it's made worse because one of the teeth was broken -- almost half of the tooth was broken off when he fell. So there's very little tooth there to keep the filling in.

I am super careful about what he bites into -- he's not allowed to eat anything hard or sticky. He's very aware of his tooth issues, so he actually will ask me before he eats anything new he is offered. "Is it too hard for my teeth, Mommy?" He eats apple slices, but I cut them into very small wedges and remind him to bite them with his side teeth rather than in front. Anything that's liable to be a bit tough (like bagels) where he'd have to exert a good bit of force to bite a piece off, I cut thin enough that he can bite off pieces with the side teeth.

I don't know if your little one every uses spill-proof sippy cups, but my son lost his filling the first time right after taking a sip of water from one of them. You have to such pretty hard to get the liquid with those valves, and I wondered if the amount of suction could have been a problem. Our dentist wasn't sure, but after that, I stopped giving him the spill-proof cups.

It's incredibly frustrating, isn't it? The dentist tried to cap ds' teeth last time the fillings fell out, as it had been a year with no sign of abcess, but when she started to prepare the broken tooth, it turned out to be loose, so that was out.

My dh and I came to the decision that if ds loses his fillings again, we're going to ask the dentist to extract the teeth. Her original goal had been to try and preserve the teeth at least until he turns 4, to minimize the effects of losing the front teeth too early, and ds is already 3 and a half. Each time we go in, it's a huge ordeal with the papoose board, etc. Our dentist is very kind, gentle, and compassionate with ds, (when he initially went in at with the tooth injury age 2 and a half, she managed to do X-rays, an exam, and a cleaning, without a single tear from him!) but he is just too traumatized at this point by all the dental work he's had done. It's so hard to make these decisions!

I will say that one thing that has really helped my ds from the beginning is really talking to him about what's going on as much as we can. "The dentist will fix your broken tooth so that it won't hurt." I would tell him he'd lost a filling and that the dentist needed to fix it. These things don't help much when he's actually at the dentist, but when she's done, he'll actually give her a hug when he says goodbye! And he explains to people that the dentist fixed his tooth. We also explain that someday he'll get new big teeth that won't be broken anymore (it helps that he has a big sister that's in the middle of that process). He also is really good at the doctor these days, where he used to be afraid -- as soon as we explain that the doctor isn't going to look at his teeth, he's happy!

Anyway, lots of sympathy here -- hope your little one's fillings stay in better next time.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page