braces - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-04-2007, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter
TAC

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just went to the dentist/orthodontist. Both kids need braces. Oh my... that is so expensive. Insurance gives just a drop in the bucket. Has anyone else had to face this expense, and how did you afford it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2007, 08:26 PM

First ask why they need braces, my ortho said that my dd could use braces to even out her overbite but it was smallish (the overbite) since her teeth touch fine I decided that it wasn't worth the smaller cosmetic improvement.

To save money, call around my ortho charged me 2500 for 7 years as an adult and my treatment is still ongoing with no more $ required (except when I break/loose my retainers . I've known people who have paid 10,000 for the same treatment (I had 4 jaw surgeries and over 4 years actually wearing braces and two sets of braces) See if you have a dental school close by they will often do them for cost or at a reduced rate.

most orthos will do payment plans mine was 100 or 150 a month, I forget the exact amount.

8 might be enough
Old 03-06-2007, 08:58 PM

Our 2nd daughter is to start wearing braces very soon. The cost is astronomical here too, with no insurance kick in. The total plan will cost us about 8,000 US, the biggest payout is about 4,000 at the beginning and then the rest over time and monthly check-up fees.

This we can just about cover though that lump sum payout is scary.
I am woried that I have two younger ones too whose adult teeth have not come in yet, don't know what they are going to be like. If all 3 of them need braces, I don't what we'll do.

User Tag List