Wisdom tooth extraction. Do I HAVE to take antibiotics? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 03-18-2007, 11:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had one wisdom tooth taken out 3 days ago. It seems to be healing nicely. Doesn't hurt very much at all. Do I have to take the antibiotics prescribed to me? I am VERY leary of antibiotics now since my youngest daughter was given them at 10 days old and has since had gut issues leading to severe excema. I'm still nursing her and I don't want any antibiotics passing to her through my milk. Can I get away with not taking them at all?

Bethany, mama to M (9), J (7), S (4), and baby BOY 9/13/10!!
#2 of 13 Old 03-18-2007, 11:14 AM

I did not take abx when I had mine out. They were not prescribed. Why were they prescribed to you? Was your procedure particularly complicated? Do you have a pre-existing condition? Or was it just because? I would keep the prescription on hand if you don't want to take it and be very cautious of your healing gums. An infection in a socket can scoot down to your heart and kill you or if not then cause serious harm. However it will only get to this stage IF you have an infection and IF you don't take action immediately. See what I'm saying? I just woke up so maybe I'm talking in circles.
#3 of 13 Old 03-18-2007, 12:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishface View Post
Why were they prescribed to you? Was your procedure particularly complicated? Do you have a pre-existing condition? Or was it just because?

An infection in a socket can scoot down to your heart and kill you or if not then cause serious harm.
Don't know why they were prescribed. I guess just routine procedure. Not complicated at all. Whole thing took about 3 minutes I'd guess. No pre-existing condition. So, yeah, I guess "just because".

But, WOW, KILL me???? Uhmmmm, those are very strong words. Can you give me some information on this if you have it? Any links?

Any other input?

#4 of 13 Old 03-18-2007, 12:47 PM

I had a wisdom tooth infection, and I promise you that was the worst pain in my life. I did need abx for that, as well as having them removed. I suspect it's more likely to get infections after a wisdom tooth removal because it's an open sore in your mouth, which on humans is not very clean.

Personally, I'd take them, but if you're doing fine without, that's wonderful.

Ashley, Pagan treehugger.gif mama to E (6/09) and my beautiful hbac.gif baby T (4/3/12)
#5 of 13 Old 03-18-2007, 12:53 PM

Personally, when I had mine out a few years ago, I had to have them surgically removed. Even with the stitches and open sockets, I did not need to take antibiotics. My oral surgeon did not prescribe them for me. They healed up just fine.

Was there a reason specifically why they prescribed them? Or do they prescribe them to everyone who has had an extraction just in case?
#6 of 13 Old 03-18-2007, 03:59 PM

I had my wisdom taken out in 2 sessions, 5 years apart, w/different oral surgeons and didn't have abx rx'd either time. If it's 3 days later and you're not having problems, I wouldn't worry about it. Just keep the rx in case you start developing an infection. You should be mostly healed in a week or 2 anyway- they were likely rx'd as a 'just in case' but call your dentist if you're worried.

Michelle -mom to Katlyn 4/00 , Jake 3/02, and Seth 5/04
#7 of 13 Old 03-19-2007, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunflwrmoonbeam View Post
I had a wisdom tooth infection, and I promise you that was the worst pain in my life. I did need abx for that, as well as having them removed. I suspect it's more likely to get infections after a wisdom tooth removal because it's an open sore in your mouth, which on humans is not very clean.

Personally, I'd take them, but if you're doing fine without, that's wonderful.
I had the same experience. Seriously the worst pain I've ever been in.
#8 of 13 Old 03-19-2007, 06:06 PM - Thread Starter

As an update, I did start taking the antibiotices because I felt an infection creeping on. More pain and a funky taste... thought it'd be better to just take them.

#9 of 13 Old 03-19-2007, 06:10 PM

hmmm ... I had all 4 impacted and had them removed at once. No antiobiotics... just took some tylenol.

Dani, wife to Cullen - 9/2002, mom to CJ 11/2004, Billy 12/2007 and Nora 7/2009
#10 of 13 Old 03-20-2007, 02:41 PM

I had impacted and infected wisdom teeth and had all four removed without abx or problems. If you're really concerned you could get a medicinal grade essential oil that has abx properties like oil of oregano or clove oil and dilute it down (one drop in a glass of water) to use as a mouth rinse. Both burn my oral mucosa when I take it diulted so I don't know if you want to try this, but it is an option.

Moneca
#11 of 13 Old 03-20-2007, 11:45 PM

I didn't take abx when I had mine out and I even had dry sockets. the only script I got was for pain relief.
#12 of 13 Old 05-20-2007, 12:04 AM

Quote:
But, WOW, KILL me???? Uhmmmm, those are very strong words. Can you give me some information on this if you have it? Any links?
I'm going through old threads I posted in and just saw this, so bump for endocarditis.

http://www.cnn.com/HEALTH/library/DS/00409.html

http://www.nhsdirect.com/articles/ar...49&PrintPage=1

http://www.clevelandclinicmeded.com/...infectendo.htm

http://www.preventionandhealing.com/...20Symptoms.pdf
#13 of 13 Old 05-30-2007, 09:49 AM

I was given abx before I had them removed because one had abcessed which triggered the extractions. I wasn't given any more for afterwards-just pain killers.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page