AP Dentist? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 03-26-2007, 02:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Have a huge issue with the "standard of Practice" that parents are not allowed in the room while child is having treatment. Where can I find a dentist that will allow me in there? DD is 2.
#2 of 11 Old 03-26-2007, 02:20 PM

Get out your phone book and start calling around When my DD had some dental problems, the pediatric dentist to whom we were referred didn't allow parents back with the chidren. We started calling around, and we found a family dentist who was fine with us coming back (and that could also do the work we needed). Our regular family denstist is okay with it, too.
#3 of 11 Old 03-26-2007, 03:05 PM

Ask over in your MDC "tribal" area. I got a couple of great references from local mama's. Saved a lot of headache.

Sara ~ one dh + one 5yo boy + baby in 2011
#4 of 11 Old 03-26-2007, 03:24 PM

There is no reason why you shouldn't be allowed in the room with your child. I find that children usually do better with parents in the room and I can explain things to parents as well. This is especially true with young children. However, other children are a distraction. Leave siblings at home, or bring another caretaker to keep an eye on them in the waiting room. There are times when parents too can be a distraction to myself and the child. Children do best when parents are silent observers and the dentist and assistant are doing the interaction with the child. Occasionally I'll ask a parent to step out of the room and continually pop back in the back of the operatory to check on their child. This is only a suggestion and parents are not forced to leave. They are always within hearing range.

It shouldn't be difficult to find a dentist that allows parents in the room. Find someone that is less than 10 years from graduation. A lot of older dentists have a different style of treatment. It used to be a common practice to keep parents and children separated.
#5 of 11 Old 03-27-2007, 11:14 AM

I found with our pediatric dentist, that the hygenists told us we couldn't be back with our child, but the dentist said we absolutely could be. We actually have found a lot of instances like this with dentists, where their hygenists say things and they say something else. It makes the pre-screening process pretty difficult.
#6 of 11 Old 03-27-2007, 09:59 PM

Keep looking! It's horrible that they won't allow parents in. I actually have an issue with practices that "sometimes" ask parents to leave as well, as it seems to be used as a threat. I know adults who were left to the dentist with no parental support and they are still traumatized 40+ years later.

Good luck!
#7 of 11 Old 03-30-2007, 05:29 AM

They do exist, but you have to look for them. The one we have is awesome. He is supportive of our extended breastfeeding and we are always with DD (22 months). He is older, but is very up-to-date with everything. My DD had some work done under GA, and although the anesthesiologist didn't want me back there, our dentist said there was no problem with it. Good luck!

eta- check out the AAPD site, and the dentists websites. Usually you can find an office policies page that will say whether parents are allowed back or not.

Danielle, fabric artist, mama to Eleanor 5/05 and Charlotte James 09-26-09
#8 of 11 Old 03-30-2007, 09:09 AM

Where are you from? I have a great AP dentist. He lets DD in the room with me for my cleanings and then the nursing staff is great they take her and play while I get other work done such as extractions and such...and he is very supportive of long term bf'ing as well. he has me hold DD in my lap when he looks at her teeth. He is a firm believer of having parents is there cause he feels that they are the best calming tonic for the lil ones.

Mom to Bouncy Breastfed fly-by-nursing1.gifDD energy.gifLoving Woman to DH, RIP DS Born at 22 weeks  ribbonpb.gif

#9 of 11 Old 03-31-2007, 04:38 PM

Um, I would just refuse to let her go in without you. They can't force you to stay in the waiting room. Just say something like, 'I'm sorry but I'm not comfortable leaving her". It's not really a "policy" per se, it's just more convenient.

Mom to a bright & energetic 6 y.o. boy  blahblah.gif   With my sweetie for 10 years now  blowkiss.gif  Registered nurse  caffix.gif

#10 of 11 Old 04-01-2007, 04:03 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you for all of your comments and help. I have finally found a dentist that will allow me to be there. He asked me not to tell anyone though lol. It is policy in many many ofcs. I had one when I refused say "Well then this isn't the place for you". Funny enough the guy I have found is young like a pp suggested and has children the same age as my children. He actually admitted that genetics plays a huge role in teeth and how good or bad they are. He is the first one I have ever gotton to admit that. I was impressed. It certainly does not follow the standard model of practice. He spent 45 minutes with me answering my questions etc. So here's hoping he is as good as I think he is. DD has her work done on Tuesday. If you pray please do so.

Middlemamma
#11 of 11 Old 04-02-2007, 04:50 PM

We had an appt Friday and were able to go in

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page