Glycerin-free toothpaste for children? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 03-27-2007, 10:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My children like regular (flouride-free) toothpaste but not tooth soap. I'm sure they wouldn't like baking soda, plus they aren't great with spitting erverything out. Has anyone else been able to find something palatable for children with no glycerin?

TIA!
#2 of 18 Old 03-29-2007, 08:06 PM

Great question! I would like to know too. Sometimes my son will use tooth soap, but my daughter won't. She just uses water and I would like her to use something more.

There has to be something that's OK tasting, not too soapy, not too abrasive and that doesn't have fluoride.

Crunchy check list:  2 homebirths (one accidental UC!), co-slept, no CIO, cloth diapers, home/un school, raw milk drinker (!) I am a walking cliche!! I even blog and knit...
#3 of 18 Old 03-29-2007, 08:11 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I'm still using Tom's of Maine floride-free strawberry toothpaste for DS- I started using it long before I knew about glycerin and he likes the taste.

The rest of us use a glycerin-free toothpaste- but it's a mint flavor and DS hates mint.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19 (in Israel for another school year), Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 12(homeschooled)
#4 of 18 Old 03-29-2007, 09:19 PM

What is wrong with glycerin? I know they are in the suppositories I had for DD and in castille soap...please enlighten me!!
#5 of 18 Old 03-29-2007, 09:52 PM

The criticism of glycerin is that it coats the teeth, cannot be removed for about 30 brushings, and so therefore the teeth can not remineralize from your saliva. If the teeth are perfectly clean, and not coated with anything, the minerals in your saliva can be absorbed by the teeth.

Toothsoap is one kind of cleanser without glycerin. But, ya know, it's soap so very soapy tasting.

Doesn't glycerin seem natural and perfectly fine? It's not in this case, many believe.

Crunchy check list:  2 homebirths (one accidental UC!), co-slept, no CIO, cloth diapers, home/un school, raw milk drinker (!) I am a walking cliche!! I even blog and knit...
#6 of 18 Old 03-30-2007, 12:43 PM

:

We're going through this with my kids, too. They hate tooth soap and baking soda, and I don't know what to do. I've used Dr. Christopher's tooth powder with success, and will probably go back to that.

KerryAnn @ CookingTF dot com - Nutrient dense foods your kids will LOVE!  Real Food Cooking School and Lactofermentation Classes now live! Use coupon code "CTF" for 20% off.

#7 of 18 Old 03-30-2007, 01:44 PM - Thread Starter

Cool, we'll try Dr. Christopher's tooth powder--I just want to ask an herbalist friend about the herbs in it. Right now we use Weleda Children's Tooth Gel, which is flouride free, and they love the taste, but I don't like the glycerin.

Thanks for the info.!!!!
#8 of 18 Old 03-30-2007, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauradbg View Post
The criticism of glycerin is that it coats the teeth, cannot be removed for about 30 brushings,
I think you meant to say 30 rinsings.

Right now DS is using Spry Infant Tooth Gel, it doesn't have glycerin but I'm not even sure how I feel about the xylitol issue.
#9 of 18 Old 03-30-2007, 05:33 PM

We just bought some of the Spry. What is the issue with xylitol??? I must be missing something (posted earlier about buying it).
#10 of 18 Old 03-30-2007, 05:46 PM

This is the first that I've heard of the glycerin issue and of Spry in particular. Thank you! I'd like to get some of that. Does anyone know if Whole Foods stocks it or if there's an on-line retailer with free or cheap shipping within the US? Thanks.

Sarah, mother to Eloïse (5/2005), Lucas (3/2008) and Ilias (7/2011), and due with #4 (March 1, 2014)

#11 of 18 Old 04-01-2007, 04:58 PM

I thought I was covered...what's the issue with xylitol?:

God, being informed is so much work!!!!

#12 of 18 Old 05-09-2007, 03:31 AM

courious about the xylitol issue...
#13 of 18 Old 05-09-2007, 08:56 AM

I'm just wondering, after reading all this, if we really need any special ingredients for tooth brushing at all!
#14 of 18 Old 05-09-2007, 09:48 AM

Xylitol is controversial because it is a highly refined 'artificial' sugar- it's an alcohol sugar which will give you diarrhea if you consume a lot of it. Mercola has a good bit about it on his site. However, in theraputic doses, such as found in toothpaste and gum, I don't worry about it. To me, for that use, it's a small dose and you're spitting it out. It's a localized action on the teeth. The studies who have shown benefit to the teeth from consuming it have used small amounts, like 7g spread out throughout the day.

So we use it in toothpaste and gum and mints for those in the house who have decay, but we don't cook with it.

KerryAnn @ CookingTF dot com - Nutrient dense foods your kids will LOVE!  Real Food Cooking School and Lactofermentation Classes now live! Use coupon code "CTF" for 20% off.

#15 of 18 Old 05-10-2007, 11:11 AM

I was at Whole Foods and read the ingredients of Spry gum and there's glycerin in it! Do you think that's an issue?

#16 of 18 Old 05-10-2007, 03:16 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by flutemandolin View Post
I'm just wondering, after reading all this, if we really need any special ingredients for tooth brushing at all!
I'm starting to think the same thing- maybe just get DS to brush with a wet toothbrush, no paste at all. That seems a lot more realistic than getting him to brush with anything minty! The only toothpaste he likes is Tom's of Maine Silly Strawberry. I've been using it on his teeth since he was an infant, so obviously he's used to it.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19 (in Israel for another school year), Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 12(homeschooled)
#17 of 18 Old 05-10-2007, 10:39 PM

My son is 26 months. I've also been unable to find anything. I've just started using Spry Infant Gel, but up until today I've used a Himalayan Salt solution (a few rocks of Himalayan salt in a glass jar filled with water), or sometimes just plain water. I will likely alternate the salt water with the Spry infant gel. For now, he seems quite taken with the novelty of the new toothpaste.
#18 of 18 Old 05-14-2007, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahmck View Post
if there's an on-line retailer with free or cheap shipping within the US? Thanks.
http://www.dentist.net/

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page