10m old - questions about nursing to sleep/cavities and brushing teeth questions - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 05-19-2007, 12:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My kid falls asleep a lot with the boob in his mouth. I don't always pop him off but I try to. I saw a post of someone's DC needing dental work from the milk pooling, and my nephew also had to have that done. So now I'm starting to worry about it especially since sometimes if I pop him off he wakes back up again. Should I just pop him off anyways (like suggested in No cry sleep solution)? Sometimes when I pop him off now some milk that pooled leaks out so I know it's sitting in his mouth. Plus I have to push in with my finger and pop off really fast, and sometimes his teeth scrape my boob, it hurts! I can't go slow, it doesn't work.

I have a special toddler toothbrush from the dentist (it has a round handle). The first couple times I tried he let me stick it in his mouth and kind of brush, but now he is tight lipped when he sees it coming. How can I get him used to the toothbrush if I can't even get it in his mouth? I'm not trying to get his teeth completely brushed, just getting him used to it. How do I make it fun for him? I don't use toothpaste, just wet it with water. I tried giving it to him to "play" with but he just flings it.

I'm worried about the cavity thing. thanks!

DS 2006 nocirc.gif DiaperFreeBaby angel1.gif March 2010, DD 2011

#2 of 6 Old 05-19-2007, 12:50 AM

Rather than a toothbrush, maybe try using a finger brush for now, one of those rubbery thimble like devices. Or a very thin wet cloth.

We're dealing with decay right now. If I had it to do over again, I'd still night nurse, nurse to sleep, but I'd try to get babe in the habit of letting me wipe his teeth off afterwards. I'd also try to rub a little xylitol tooth gel on his teeth after nursing. At a minimum, I've heard that it's a good idea to roll them onto their backs for a while after nursing.

Sara ~ one dh + one 5yo boy + baby in 2011
#3 of 6 Old 05-19-2007, 05:38 PM

For what it's worth, I've mothered all my kids the same way. We always nurse through the night for at least a couple years! The first has really good teeth! The 2nd had one cavity in her front tooth that the dentist filled. The filling came out, so she had a small hole in her tooth until it fell out. It wasn't real noticable though...it was right where the gap was anyway. The 3rd had pretty bad decay and continues with that now that she's not nursing (she's also my sweets nut) and my 4th....is still nursing and has never been to the dentist...so I'm not sure, but I'm thinking her teeth look stronger than my 3rd born.

Anyway, I said all that to say that I think a lot of times some children are more genetically disposed to having bad teeth than others. Of course, what you feed them will help to block that, too. There was once a study that was done that said that teeth decay the fastest when mixed with breastmilk and food. SO maybe try to get their mouths washed out before they nurse? Maybe even a drink of water or something would do that.
#4 of 6 Old 05-19-2007, 05:45 PM

Night nursing does NOT cause cavaties. What causes them is food mixed with the bm. So you should always brush your dc's teeth at the end of the day then night nurse as usual. The other night in the schedualed chat with Dr. Jay Gorden we went over this. There is also a great artical on night nursing.

http://www.hpakids.org/holistic-heal...Cause-Cavities

There have been to many mom's weaned their kids because of misinformation and I want to do all I can to get the message out there. My dd night nursed till she weaned at 31 months and had zero teeth issues even without me brushing them. My ds on the other had still nursing and has horrible teeth they came in with weak enamal and we are still having issues with them. It is a genetic more than anything else soem kids will have trouble no matter what we do.

The benifits to bfing are to many to give it up especially since it has been proven time and again that bm helps prevent caries.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#5 of 6 Old 05-20-2007, 11:34 PM

i was going to start a similar post b/c i am having the exact same brushing issues with my 10 month old son! it's hard to wipe with a cloth for us, because if he lets me put a finger in his mouth to wipe he'll chomp it !! and the toothbrush thing is not something he's into . i don't want to make it something he hates, but i know he'd REALLY hate the dentist. (i do anyways.) i'm looking forward to hearing more advice here.
#6 of 6 Old 05-22-2007, 03:40 PM

I m printing this out and taking it to our dentist..thanks for the info.

Mami to fly-by-nursing2.gifds 4 wks, ds 2yo, ds 6yo, dd 11yo, ds 17 yo. novaxnoIRC.gifwaterbirth.jpg

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page