My 4 year - TEN cavities - I Feel like such a failure. - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 50 Old 08-23-2007, 11:33 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by umsami View Post
When we took my DS1 and 2 to the pediatric dentist, they told us that because I had a lot of cavities as a kid... I may have this certain bacteria that causes cavities that I can pass on to them through sharing foods. They can test you for the bacteria... and then there is a mouthwash type thing that you do to get rid of it. So... it's not your fault... it's the bacteria's!
Same here, I think that's how my son got it. Are you using the chlorahexidine stuff? It's so awful, but it does seem to work.

Sara ~ one dh + one 5yo boy + baby in 2011
#32 of 50 Old 08-23-2007, 11:57 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaPOW! View Post
Personally, I think I'd want to work with a dentist that had a little more hope for my son's teeth. And also one who wouldn't clean a crying child's teeth. It's amazing how the opinions and bed-side manner of dentists can vary sooooo widely, it's quite remarkable.
The crying during the cleaning wasn't really as bad as it might sound. DD was okay for most of it, but started quietly crying (while still cooperating) near the end, so the hygienist just reassured her and said she would finish up as quickly as possible. I was right there in the room and felt fine about how it was handled. DD has been okay with cleaning in the past, but I think she was extra stressed out because of the talk about cavities and fillings.
#33 of 50 Old 08-23-2007, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Same here, I think that's how my son got it. Are you using the chlorahexidine stuff? It's so awful, but it does seem to work.
Is it possible to get Perioguard or the chlorhexadine mouthwash without an Rx?
#34 of 50 Old 08-23-2007, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellinghamCrunchie View Post
Is it possible to get Perioguard or the chlorhexadine mouthwash without an Rx?
Don't know about perioguard, but in the US you do need an rx for the chlorahexadine stuff.

#35 of 50 Old 08-23-2007, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Don't know about perioguard, but in the US you do need an rx for the chlorahexadine stuff.
Thanks.
#36 of 50 Old 08-23-2007, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tammyw View Post
So then that means it's just me. MY FAULT.
It's not your fault. I have lousy teeth. My parents made sure I ate well, brushed a lot, etc, but at my first appt I had a bunch of cavities. Sometime's nature's just not on our side. Don't beat yourself up - you did the best you could.

Me, my Sweetie , DD 1 (Dec 07),  and DD 2 (Dec 09). Co-sleeping, delayed-vaxing, quia Lutherans!
#37 of 50 Old 08-24-2007, 02:29 PM

Yes, cavities are caused by bacteria. The bacteria eat carbs and give off acid, and the acid eats away tooth enamel. Some people have way more of these bacteria than others do, and that means they are more likely to get cavities. Just about everyone gets these bacteria from their mothers (we aren't born with them) before they are 3 years old. In some kids, the bacteria don't cause problems, but in others they can cause decay pretty quickly.

Chlorhexidine is an antibiotic, so it kills the decay-causing bacteria. It also can stain teeth, so make sure you talk w/your dentist about that if you are interested in trying it. We have the gel form for our younger DD, and it does seem to have helped a bit.

If you don't get rid of the bacteria, there is a real chance of permanent teeth getting cavities too. Brushing also is totally key, to keep food off the teeth.

If nutrition has anything to do with it, it'd be that a kid's diet somehow affects the pH of his or her mouth, which would affect which bacteria are most likely to grow there. Once teeth are in the mouth, they're developed, and you can't really ingest anything that would change them. Fluoride and calcium phosphate can help if they are applied directly to the teeth; swallowing them is not going to help teeth that are already in the mouth.

Hope some of this helps. This is mostly what I write about for a living (and both of my kids have cavities!).

A writer/runner/thinker/wife with two daughters (11/02 and 8/05), one dog, three cats, seven fish, and a partridge in a pear tree... in Vermont.
#38 of 50 Old 08-24-2007, 03:47 PM

I don't have kids, so I can't possibly have this problem, but please, mamas, quit beating yourselves up!

I have had exactly one cavity in my life.

But guess what? I rarely floss, I smoke, I eat like crap (well, nowhere near SAD, but crap compared to what your kids are eating). And I have not had a cavity since I was four. It's a crapshoot, guys, it really is.

babyf.gif

#39 of 50 Old 08-24-2007, 05:59 PM

My DD had 4 fillings at age 4.5 and we searched until we found the right dentist, and it wasn't the pediatric dentist we were referred to! Anyway we found a wonderful woman dentist who gave DD the laughing gas and had videos that DD could watch while the work was being done. I was very pleased with it all.

This dentist suggested we get gum with xylitol, which we have. DD is 5 now and headed for Kindergarden in just a couple of days. I haven't asked, but I doubt they'll let her chew gum throughout the day at school. Do you think if I tell them it is "prescribed" for her,that will work?
#40 of 50 Old 08-24-2007, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinecone View Post
My DD had 4 fillings at age 4.5 and we searched until we found the right dentist, and it wasn't the pediatric dentist we were referred to! Anyway we found a wonderful woman dentist who gave DD the laughing gas and had videos that DD could watch while the work was being done. I was very pleased with it all.

This dentist suggested we get gum with xylitol, which we have. DD is 5 now and headed for Kindergarden in just a couple of days. I haven't asked, but I doubt they'll let her chew gum throughout the day at school. Do you think if I tell them it is "prescribed" for her,that will work?
Ha! They'd probably make her chew it in the nurse's office!!

She should really just chew it for a couple of minutes after she gets done eating, she doesn't have to chew it all day. It might be complete contraband, though, depending on their policies. If nothing else, just make sure she chews some right when she gets home, and then a few times after that until she goes to bed.

I can't wait until my son can chew the gums!

#41 of 50 Old 08-24-2007, 06:06 PM

You could make her something with xylitol in it and ask her to eat it last. Or..does she like cheese? Pack her some cheddar chz, it is great for teeth!
#42 of 50 Old 08-24-2007, 06:46 PM

How old does a kid have to be to chew gum??

I know they make xylitol mouthwash. That might be useful for younger kids who are OK with rinsing and spitting.

Mom to DS(8), DS(6), DD(4), and DS(1).  "Kids do as well as they can."

#43 of 50 Old 08-24-2007, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by umsami View Post
How old does a kid have to be to chew gum??

I know they make xylitol mouthwash. That might be useful for younger kids who are OK with rinsing and spitting.
I have no idea, it probably depends on the kid. I've got a two year old and he's very uninterested in gum. Once he becomes interested, the next step will be seeing if he can resist the temptation to swallow it.

#44 of 50 Old 08-25-2007, 10:14 AM

Hi, I'm wondering if anyone thinks that tight teeth spacing could be a cause of cavities. I see some toddlers with very large spaces between their teeth, and others (like my DS) with no spaces at all. I worry about that, and have been trying to floss his teeth at night.

42-year-old mama to DS (5) and DD (3)
#45 of 50 Old 08-25-2007, 03:13 PM - Thread Starter

I would say, yes, teeth spacing probably is a big factor. All my DD's cavities are between her very tight molars. I also have a mouth full of very tight teeth. Even dentists comment on how tricky it is to get floss in between my teeth. Waxed varieties are a must for me.

We floss twice a day (hopefully this helps). But I found for myself, using the right kind of floss was key. I used to use Glide floss (because my teeth are so tight) but Glide wasn't getting my teeth clean enough. Now I use Johnson and Johnson waxed and it works great.
#46 of 50 Old 08-26-2007, 06:42 AM

OK, I'd better be careful and start flossing. I'm also hoping that a more TF diet, with supplements like cod liver oil, with help with the spacing of his teeth.

42-year-old mama to DS (5) and DD (3)
#47 of 50 Old 08-26-2007, 11:25 AM

We took my son to a clinic last year for his 6 month check up and were informed that he had 5 cavities, which shocked me, too. He had previously gone to a private dentist, but we no longer have insurance, so I took him to the clinic for free. I decided that I had to have a second opinion because 5 cavities out of nowhere seemed a bit...off to me. Fast forward to a week later and the private dentist's opinion. 2 cavities, both very small and not 5. When I asked why we were told that DS had 5 large cavities at the clinic, he explained that some of the newer technologies that are being used literally look for cavities, or empty pockets in the teeth, which is, of course, different from decay. Most likely, what was found by the clinic were the cavities in the teeth, not decay. I would urge you to go to another 'old-school' dentist that actually does the manual exam and takes the time to probe with the little metal hook into all of the teeth. It saved us $$$$$$ and DS having to get his "cavities" filled.
#48 of 50 Old 08-28-2007, 08:25 AM

: ............
#49 of 50 Old 08-28-2007, 08:35 AM

Myself and my 2 DDs are prone to bad teeth due to EDS which effects collagen. My 3 1/2 year olds teeth are slowly rotting away and my 1 1/2 year old is heading the same way. Considering their diet they shouldn't be getting bad teeth but I fear its the way it goes!!!!!!

Unfortunutely, their problems are really obvious so people like to think we don't brush their teeth etc which is as far from the truth as possible

I do have to wonder though whether maybe there is a pollutant that increases these problems because it seems that a lot of kids with really good diets are still getting tooth problems.
#50 of 50 Old 08-30-2007, 07:38 PM

My just turned 3 year old went to the dentist the other day and has 4 cavitites all in her molars. I am really upset about it. He wants to fill two of them now and wait in the others b/c they're small.

Our diets haven't been as great as I would like since ds was born, but we still probably eat better than a lot of people.

I, too, feel guilty, even though we take good care of her teeth. I'm not sure where to go from here. I've slacked on giving her CLO so I'll start that again along with improving our diet. But if she keeps getting more cavities, I think I'm really going to freak out.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page