Wisdom teeth - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 61 Old 11-26-2001, 02:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Smilemomma,
I'm gonna have 2 of my wisdom teeth pulled out this Friday (Nov. 30th)
What is the etimated healing time? Would you recommend anything to make the healing easier/faster?
Also, what is the risk of infection? I am not a big fan of antibiotics and didn't take them for at least 5 years. Will colloidal silver work instead? What dosages how many times a day for how long? Any other effective herbal alternatives?
At this point I am thinking that if there are alternatives, I'll go for them, but will take the prescription for antibiotics (isn't my dentist supposed to give me one?) and will watch for signs of infection in case those "alternatives" do not work.
This is a new dentist I'm gonna go to. I only saw him once for a second opinion regarding my cavities (one doctor said I have 4, this one said I have none!!! ???) So at the time I saw him I wasn't sure I will actually do the work with him and that's why didn't ask those "what to expact" questions. And I'm gonna do x-rays and extraction all in 1 appointment, but wanted to get some info beforehand. He is not a holistic doc, so I won't be able to get any advice re: alternatives to antibiotics from him.
Any info you can give me is appreciated.
THANKS

Valeria
dd 05.17.2005
#2 of 61 Old 11-28-2001, 02:05 AM

#3 of 61 Old 11-28-2001, 02:12 PM - Thread Starter

Smilemomma,
you are such a source of support and inspiration. I wished all doctors were just like you!
Quote:
Originally posted by Smilemomma
If the teeth are under gum and bone and require surgery to remove, it will take a little longer, more like a week to 10 days or so, barring any complications.
Yep, that is how my lower tooth is. The upper one seems to be completely out.

How much Arnica do you recommend taking and for how long after the procedure (and how many times a day) should I rinse my mouth with tee tree oil (I am thinking after every time I eat, but not sure)? Am I worried about a potential infection too much?

Valeria

Valeria
dd 05.17.2005
#4 of 61 Old 11-28-2001, 10:27 PM

#5 of 61 Old 12-03-2001, 12:26 PM - Thread Starter

I wished I could write you earlier, but we temporarily do not have our internet connection (AT&T @Home) so I had to wait until I go back to work on Monday to let you know how it went.
Well, it went great! I was really pleased with this new doctor. The shots didn't hurt at all. I couldn't believe it (I was given a shot sort of into the cheek a while ago and it hurt, but not with this doctor). What was sort of weird is that I felt the top tooth's root coming out millimiter by millimeter. It was not painful, but a really strange sensation. My bottom tooth was partially covered by the gum. When I saw this guy before the extraction he told me that he could cut a gum and put a filling in that tooth if I do not want to go with the extraction (me having a cavity there is the reason I made the decision to go ahead with the extraction anyway). But I am realy pleased to report that I didn't have to have my gum cut with the bottom tooth and didn't feel the root coming out either.
I had 2 "fears" regarding this procedure. 1 - I'd have to have my gum cut, 2 - since the bottom tooth has a cavity in it I was scared that if he squeezes it too hard it will break into pieces. It's not that I wouldn't have lived if these things happened, but my recovery would have been harder. None of them came true and I was really happy.
I am also glad that the guy is not antibiotics friendly. He didn't even mention that at all (I just used tea tree oil to rinse my mouth)!!!
I followed your advice and took Arnica the entire day on Friday and I really think it helped a lot. I had almost no bleeding at all (even the doctor comented on it). And the pain after the anastesia wore off wasn't unbearable either (I somehow expected it to be). The only reason I took 1 Advil before going to bed was on the insistence of my dh who kept saying I will sleep better if I won't be in pain.
I didn't really feel sore at all on Saturday (thanks to Arnica!). But my cheek was hurting quite a bit - from the injection, I guess. I couldn't open my mouth and moove my jaws. I managed it through Saturday with no meds of any kind at all, but my cheek really strated to hurt towards the night. And then I remembered something. My dh had an oral surgery exactly a year ago (it wasn't dental and is a long story in itself) and he was in a tremedous amount of pain afterwords. Niether Tylenol 3 nor topical lidocaine didn't relieve his pain and I went to a natural food store and they gave me homeopathic Hypeicum for him. It helped him a lot and we still had some of it left. So.. I took it too. Twice. And I am so happy to say that I am practically pain free on my cheek as well. It is Monday and I am back to work and feeling pretty good.
Anyway, this lengthy story can be summed up as folows:
I was mentally prepared for much more pain and the general horror of the procedure then I had experienced. None of my "fears" regarding the extraction came true. I was pretty pleased with this new dentis I had found (he is not my ideal entist as he isn't aholistic doctor, but i liked that isn't antibiotics happy and also he seems to have good hands in general, so I am pleased). It's only been 2 and a half days since the procedure and I feel great. I attribute it to homeopathy and the advice of Smilemomma!!!

Valeria
dd 05.17.2005
#6 of 61 Old 12-05-2001, 01:03 AM

#7 of 61 Old 02-11-2002, 12:28 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
i need to get my teeth worked on (see my post about "bad wisdom tooth", although it turned out to be more than that). any advice on keeping the mercury exposure down for my nursling?

thanks.

Mamatreehugger.gif to two girl beans, Feb 2001hearts.gif and Nov 2003coolshine.gif . DH geek.gif, and two crazydog2.gifdog2.gif . Running on biodiesel since 2004!

"All you fascists are bound to lose" — Woody Guthrie
#8 of 61 Old 03-13-2002, 04:20 AM

I also am a tooth-care delinquent, but I haven't ben yet, still finding a like-minded dr. anyway, thanks for posting your conversation, I have enjoyed it. My baby is only 6 mo. though, and my wisdom tooth is still comming in, I'm worried about the hours of surgery to remove a wisdom tooth and thus starving my wee ones tummy and heart without mom for so long... should I, could I wait until she's older?

:::
#9 of 61 Old 03-14-2002, 12:12 AM

#10 of 61 Old 03-15-2002, 02:38 PM

what about nursing right after, with the drugs....not enough to worry about?

:::
#11 of 61 Old 03-18-2002, 01:09 AM

Hi Audrey,
I totally put off having my wisdom teeth out too. I was completely freaked about having the surgery. I didn't think much about it until I became pregnant when I was 22 and I had so many unexpected trips to the dentist!!! When I was pregnant, for some reason, my wisdom teeth (two normal, two impacted) rotted very quickly. My dentist is a cool guy and since we didn't have insurance he took care of me for free during my pregnancy. He put temporary fillings on them, and extracted the two non-impacted ones when my son was 2 months old. No problems with breastfeeding then. (Local anesthetic)
I had my impacted ones removed when my son was about 12 months (I.V. drugs/the whole nine yards) and the surgeon told me to wait 12 hours before I could breastfeed again.
The actual surgery seemed like it went by REALLY FAST! I was surprized because I had been so terrified of it for many years, and it was a breeze. The sedation was not scary at all, it was actually pleasant!!! I don't remember the name of the drug but I was still concious and remember the whole thing. I was lucid after the procedure too. Since your teeth aren't all the way through I would suggest waiting a little while (although not as long as I did!)

Sorry if I grossed you out!
Amie
#12 of 61 Old 03-25-2002, 03:58 PM

I need help , please:

My wisdom teeth have been coming in since I became preg. w/ ds who is 19mo now. I'm still nursing him and I have put off even seeing a dentist due to the overwhelming negative responses from the dental community about ebf. I don't even know any dentists in Mpls. I haven't been to one in 5 yrs!

I need some info regarding safe anisthetics for getting these puppies pulled. I don't want to risk my sons health/devel.

I was thinking I could use clove oil afterward to take care of pain - it's what I use now. Any other sugg?

Thanks for your input anything helps.
#13 of 61 Old 04-13-2002, 12:59 AM

#14 of 61 Old 04-13-2002, 01:19 AM

#15 of 61 Old 04-16-2002, 10:59 PM

hi smilemama, you are awesome,

I looked thru all the pages and archives, saw beanma's wisdom teeth threads....but still had to ask this!

I have a partially erupted tooth that has gotten a couple of little infections that went away and now I've got a really ouchy one. I do plan on going to my dentist asap and getting that prob tooth and the one above it out...but need your fine wisdom on home actions I can take to help the infection and which are the best antibiotics for nursing mamas.

last night I swished with warm salt water and put ice cubes in my mouth at 3 in the morning and it was a bit better today but not going away on its own this time :mad: I should have gotten myself an appointment today, but had plans to visit my old job for weeks...anyhow...

thanks so much for your time, you are a blessing to this community.

michelle
#16 of 61 Old 04-16-2002, 11:52 PM

#17 of 61 Old 04-17-2002, 12:16 AM

thanks so much for your speedy reply, i'm heading upstairs to my old waterpic and peroxide for now! (I also took a couple of ibuprofin last nite)

thanksSO, i'll let you know how it goes
#18 of 61 Old 04-17-2002, 10:06 PM

Hi smilemaomma, I'm smiling too! My infection is SOOO much better after the peroxide treatment! Like 80% better! I have an appt next week with the dentist.

So Thank you so much! you are the tooth goddess!

michelle
#19 of 61 Old 04-17-2002, 10:53 PM

Woo hoo! Yay! So glad you are doing better!

Tooth goddess, LOL! :LOL
#20 of 61 Old 04-20-2002, 04:02 PM

Just wanted to add that after a 2nd peroxide treatment the infection was 100% better! Good as new! So if anyone out there has the same prob I highly recommend this treatment!

Smiles&Smiles,
michelle
#21 of 61 Old 04-22-2002, 12:31 AM

#22 of 61 Old 06-07-2002, 02:32 PM

Hey tooth goddess!

getting out 2 teeth tomorrow and picked up some arnica...is that ok while nursing, as far as you know? Seen a listing that it is not, but no reason why......

thanks
michelle
#23 of 61 Old 06-08-2002, 12:04 AM

Oh, yes, absolutely safe.

Good luck!

(:LOL tooth goddess :LOL. That cracks me up every time! Sometimes it even pops into my head during the day, it is so cool. Thanks! )
#24 of 61 Old 06-12-2002, 06:19 PM

I'm glad I made you smile

Both teeth are now with the tooth fairy and all is good. Although the Arnica did not do much for me once the novicaine wore off and I hit the tylenol. The next day the mouth didn't feel too bad!

seeyaaround
michelle
#25 of 61 Old 06-16-2002, 01:12 AM

Just wanted to know what to do about the fact that I am breastfeeding and need my wisdom teeth out. My DS is 27 months old now, so I suspect it won't be much of a problem, but is there any type of drugs/sedation I should avoid? And what if the doctor says I should wean before having it done?

I'm also trying to get pregnant again, so should I try to time it for when I know I'm not pregnant? What if I'm 2-3 weeks pregnant and don't know it and I have the teeth taken out? Is that dangerous?

I have one impacted on the bottom, and 2 that are in on top (I only have 3)

by the way, smilemomma, my cousin had her twins about a month ago, and she is still attempting to breastfeed. I don't know for how much longer, since she is supplementing with formula and doing a lot of pumping. My guess is that she'll give up soon if she's going through all of that. She had a c-section, and the little boy was in NICU for 24 hours because he had problems breathing for the first 20 mintues. And my Aunt mentioned that she didn't try nursing the little girl until about 12 hours after the birth, so I don't think she got off to a very good start. Oh well, I did give her the nursing pillow, and I know she has a friend that is a lactation consultant, so maybe things will improve???
#26 of 61 Old 06-16-2002, 01:38 AM

Hi, girlfriend, long time no see!

There's a thread on the archives dedicated to this very subject!

And yes, I'd try to have it over with before conceiving again, just to be on the safe side. Theoretically, there is no problem, but it would be awful if something happened and you started second guessing yourself. And as for the weaning, I'd just tell him you're nursing, that it's not up for debate, and I might forget to tell him that the child is 27 months old ... Some folks are more accommodating if you're nursing a newborn.

Hurray for the twins! They are so special. My little guys are just now starting to work together, they were tugging and pulling together one high chair at a time over to its designated spot, then the other. And if a stranger waves at dtd, she points to her brother and waves to them, then points again, clearly saying, "wave to my brother, too!"

Doesn't sound good for the nursing, I agree. At least they got some colostrum, that's gotta help. And a little is better than nothing, I guess. I just heard a mom say that when she was holding her recently weaned 5 month old nephew, he was turning and rooting on her ... Oh, well, my view on this is "skewed" from society's norm, anyway. : I had a c-section, too, for my son. My daughter was born on a Thursday night fairly easily, and he just wouldn't come out! So finally Friday morning we did the section. We were trying everything in the meantime, though, so my daughter didn't get nursed for a while either. And to make it even WORSE, I read her chart about the third day and discovered they had given her a bottle of formula!!! I am still thinking of suing, to this day. I have been proud to say that none of my children has ever had a drop of that crap, and here they gave it to her, against my express and written consent, while I was incapacitated and in surgery, for crying out loud ... Oops, slightly OT! I get a little rambly ... Anyway, you might pass on that my little smoochies are still happily nursing away at 19 months ... It can be done. I don't know if that will make her feel better or worse, though.

Blessings to you and Peter! And good luck with the baby making!
#27 of 61 Old 06-16-2002, 02:58 AM

I had mine out when DD was about four months old. For the extraction itself, I just got numbed with shots -- did not want to get general anesthesia due to BF and because everyone I talked to who had a hard time with recovery had general. I didn't use anything more than Ibuprofen for pain afterwards. I did take Arnica for a few days before and after, and had no swelling or bruising. I have to say that for all the worrying I did beforehand, it turned out to be rather easy.
#28 of 61 Old 06-18-2002, 03:03 PM

CanOBeans, What is Arnica? I've been needing to get my wisdom teeth taken out for a while now and am so scared of the aftermath.

Also, What problems did they have from general?

Thanks!!

"I'm a scardy-cat!!"
#29 of 61 Old 06-18-2002, 04:09 PM

zzzz97, it's a homeopathic remedy for swelling and bruising. Out of all the homeopathics I've tried, that's one that really seems to work well for me. I use Arnica gel all the time for the kids and for me. I took Arnica tablets in advance of having my wisdom teeth out because I had heard that it can minimize physical effects of surgery. Like I said, I didn't end up with even a bit of swelling or bruising (my sister and brother both swelled like crazy when they had theirs out) and unlike anyone else I talked to, I didn't need codeine or anything for pain. I took ibuprofen once afterwards, and kept up with the Arnica for a couple of days. I will say thought that none of mine were impacted or super difficult to remove, so the dentist did not have to cut into my gums at all which she said can lead to a more painful recovery. I was also careful about keeping the sockets cleaned out -- I was terrified of getting a dry socket.

Everyone I talked to who had general anesthesia (and in my fear I talked to EVERYONE who would talk to me about their experiences, LOL) said they were "wiped out" or "whacked out" for at least a day afterwards. My DH had planned to take a whole day off when I had my teeth out because he remembered how hard hit he was, but I sent him back to work about an hour after I got home! I don't have a huge fear of needles and although being knocked out for it was tempting, I had to think of what was best for DD and nursing (she was only four months at the time so still nursing nearly all the time).

Hope that helps!
#30 of 61 Old 06-19-2002, 02:29 PM

CanOBeans , Thanks that does help. Where can I buy Arnica. It sounds like a must have.

Thanks,
Elizabeth

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page