baby teeth not coming out, permanent teeth in - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-30-2007, 08:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My oldest dd had this occur. Our dentist at the time said it was no big deal, the baby teeth would (and did) fall out and her tongue would push the new teeth into place over time.

DD2 is having the same issue, but our new dentist feels like it is a problem and the baby tooth in question should be pulled.

Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2007, 02:44 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilhemina View Post
My oldest dd had this occur. Our dentist at the time said it was no big deal, the baby teeth would (and did) fall out and her tongue would push the new teeth into place over time.

DD2 is having the same issue, but our new dentist feels like it is a problem and the baby tooth in question should be pulled.

Any thoughts?
Hm. I pretty much think he's a fool. It seems like no two dentists will ever have the same opinion. I tend to go with the one that requires less intervention. But, maybe I'm just lazy

Sara ~ one dh + one 5yo boy + baby in 2011
Old 08-04-2007, 02:55 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I just had this discussion with my pedi dentist. The school of thought has changed over dental issues especially orthodontist stuff. My dentist was explaining to me that now they know how the bones grow and develop. Growth plates. If the adult teeth do not come in at the correct place along the growth plate it can have negative impact in the total growth and development of the jaw/head.

I had major overcrowding when I was younger. As a result I am missing a good number of adult teeth so I could have a straight smile. He said that was the common answer when I was a kid but now it has changed. They try to do things to help encourage growth along the growth plates (this is how he explained it to me) so that overcrowding issues can be more naturally resolved without extraction of adult teeth and such.

He told me to call him asap if my ds's adult teeth grow in before the baby teeth fall out.
Old 08-04-2007, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Very interesting, thanks!

Fortunately, at least for this tooth its now a moot issue. DD was showing off her double teeth to a friend who offered his mother up as expert tooth extractor. DD said sure she could pull it out - go figure!? She would hardly agree to wiggle it for me!!

User Tag List