Help -- Rapidly receding gums!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-10-2007, 02:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
At my last dental visit about 8 months ago, I showed the dentist a couple of places (the two lower incisors) where I had noticed that my gums had receded. He basically said wasn't anything to worry about, and cautioned me against brushing too hard.

Now just the other day, I took a good look at my gums. They are now receding on almost all the teeth on the lower jaw! The area on the tooth where the gum has receded is discolored. I'm freaking out!

Can't see the dentist again for a couple of months (living in Nigeria now) until I go home. Meanwhile, should I be worried and is there anything I can do? Has anyone dealt with this? I'm wondering if it is related to pregnancy -- I am currently 5.5 months.

Globetrotting mama to DS (9) and DD (6)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2007, 03:15 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't want to freak you out- but I had the same thing happen and had to have an emergency gum graft. I am surprised that your dentist didn't have you see a peridontist before you left.

Iowaorganic- mama to DD (1/5/06), DS1 (4/9/07), DS2 (1/22/09), DS3 (12/10/10), DD2 (7/6/12) and a new kid due in early 2014

Old 08-10-2007, 04:09 PM

I have receding gumlines and mine come from brushing incorrectly for years, not flossing, and also clenching my teeth when I sleep (I don't know specifics as to why, but I am being fitted for some kind of guard next week to prevent any further issues). They have not mentioned gum grafting but have placed sealants on the exposed areas since they are incredibly sensitive and stain quickly. I'm interested to hear of other dealings with this, I knew grafting was available but wasn't sure if it was necessary.
Old 08-10-2007, 05:05 PM

OK- it didn't post all I typed... anyway- brush very lightly for about 30 sec 2x/day. Use an electric toothbrush if possible. Floss very, very gently. I also only use sensitive toothpaste and no whiteners. I hate restrictive brushing- I was one of those people who alked around getting ready in the morning while brushing my teeth (probably 5 min every morning) and that is what made mine receed. Also it can be genetic. The graft is terrible- I think it is worse pain than childbirth- but dentures wouldn't be fun either (the graft is extremely effective though). It is also expensive- but it totally saved my teeth. I had it done while pg- because mine progressed so rapidly while pg.

Iowaorganic- mama to DD (1/5/06), DS1 (4/9/07), DS2 (1/22/09), DS3 (12/10/10), DD2 (7/6/12) and a new kid due in early 2014

Old 08-10-2007, 06:57 PM

Have you ever had braces? I experienced rapid recession this last year and it was explained to me that it was because when I'd had braces in my teens my teeth had been moved slightly out of the bone. So, any tooth sticking out above the gumline is prone to recession. He said it's very common on those incisors. My worse recession is on the bottom front 6 teeth.

Sara ~ one dh + one 5yo boy + baby in 2011
Old 08-10-2007, 08:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
OK, I'm getting freaked out. The last time I saw a dentist was in Japan, and that's where I'll see one again in two months. Japanese dentists are terrible, and way behind the times.

I never wore braces, but my mother has receding gums, so there must be a genetic element.

Keep the advice/experiences coming!!

Globetrotting mama to DS (9) and DD (6)
Old 08-11-2007, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maybeknott View Post
Have you ever had braces? I experienced rapid recession this last year and it was explained to me that it was because when I'd had braces in my teens my teeth had been moved slightly out of the bone. So, any tooth sticking out above the gumline is prone to recession. He said it's very common on those incisors. My worse recession is on the bottom front 6 teeth.
I had braces, that does make sense. I am going to call about the grafting to see if its necessary.
Old 08-28-2007, 04:09 AM

Hello, I've read about a procedure called Oil Pulling or Oil Swishing... You can read up on it by doing a google search or there is a message board dedicated to it at http://www.curezone.com/forums/f.asp?f=738

It has many "Miraculous" claims, but one that comes up over & over is that it helps with healthy teeth and especiallly gums. It's inexpensive and you can do it in the privacy of your own home. Another good place to read up on it is here: http://www.earthclinic.com/Remedies/oil_pulling.html they also give instructions on how best to do it.

It seems to me it can't hurt, so why not give it a shot? Good luck to you!

User Tag List