toddler teeth question - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 83 Old 11-19-2001, 06:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know this may seem like a silly mom question, especially coming from an experienced mom here. But my ds#2 is 15 months old and only has 6 teeth and NONE on the way! My ds#1 was pushing in molars right about this age. I'm really not worried,,,,just curious in what's up. Don't get me wrong. These 6 teeth are not holding him back at all. He eats everything just fine! Are teeth just like walking? It'll happen when it happens?
thanks
#2 of 83 Old 11-20-2001, 09:06 PM

Well, my ds will be singing "All I Want for Christmas is My 2 Front Teeth" this year. He has already lost 4 on the bottom and now these two up top.

I'm excited, but I'm also mourning. With "BIG" kid teeth, he won't look like a little boy anymore. Is this normal to feel this way?

Lisa, Todd, Dane and Amber: & :::
#3 of 83 Old 11-22-2001, 07:12 PM

CONGRATULATIONS!! What a wonderful milestone for him. I know he is feeling very proud and special.

And yes, Lisamarie, with all new developments, there is the bittersweet, isn't there? When they took their first steps; first words; fed themselves ... on and on. I'm not used to it myself as a mom, so I guess I'm not much help.

Whenever I said, "I just want to freeze them at this age" my mom would say, "you'll say that about every age. There is something beautiful in all their stages of growing up." Thanks, mom.
#4 of 83 Old 11-23-2001, 03:03 AM

Thanks for your understanding. Your mom was right, thanks for sharing!

#5 of 83 Old 11-23-2001, 07:39 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Smilemomma,
I really wasn't that worried but now i'm really not worried!
Thanks
#6 of 83 Old 11-27-2001, 12:42 AM

Hi all,
Just wondering if anyone here has heard of this ... my 1 year old dd has had three teeth on the bottom for at least a month. We're waiting for her second lateral to come in on the left. It's a no show so far. I mostly thought they came in as pairs, or at least even #s. Her top 4 came in together (pretty much) and the bottom 2 centrals weren't too far apart.
Thanks!!
#7 of 83 Old 12-12-2001, 12:15 PM

Ds is 13 months (next week) and still no teeth. I'm not complaining or even worried. Just wondering. I've heard of babies getting teeth at 2 months, when is the latest you have ever heard of them getting their first tooth?
#8 of 83 Old 12-12-2001, 05:49 PM

The latest I've heard of is my mom talking about me. I guess I cut my first tooth and walked at the same time. 12 months.
#9 of 83 Old 12-31-2001, 12:47 AM
pie

My SIL says her nearly 4 year old is cutting molars. Is this possible?
#10 of 83 Old 01-03-2002, 06:07 PM

Well, I know that the 6 yr molars are likely called that for a reason, lol! I keep intending to look up the "time table" on this, but haven't yet; I'd be interested as well.
My son, 9 yrs old, lost about 4 teeth in 2 days a mth ago. (bicuspids, I think; in the front, anyway. All were perfectly sound, roots dissolved away, and with new teeth coming in under them(so no mad rush to the dentist to find out why he was loosing his teeth!LOL!)
Seems like he went through a stage of loosing baby teeth between 3 and 4 or so, then a long lull, now this. (could very well have lost others and swallowed them or something, I guess)
So my anecdotal answer will be YES, getting teeth in at 4 is well withing the schedule, and well past that!
Now, is wanting to make a necklace out of your old baby teeth normal in a 9 yr old? Kim, mom to Forest, 9 and Lily, 2
#11 of 83 Old 01-03-2002, 06:11 PM

Duh! Just reread your post and am thinking you were wondering that the molars were coming in too early, not too late! Well, I still would say it is possible; different kids cut at different rates, ime. "6 yr molars" is just an approximation, so I suppose 4 or 8 would still fall into "normal". Kim
#12 of 83 Old 01-16-2002, 02:56 AM

My ds is 5 1/2 yo (birthday 6/29/96) and I just noticed that he is getting another molar on the bottom right and on the top left! He has already lost 4 teeth on the bottom and two on top. Is this normal in terms of getting more molars? Which ones are these?

Thanks for your help!

Warmly~

Lisa

#13 of 83 Old 01-20-2002, 05:35 PM

Smilemomma~

You are so sweet and wow, what a memory. I can't believe its happening so fast. He has a dentist appt. next month~he has lost 6 teeth total (4 on the bottom-last Jan.-April and 2 on top-this Nov.). But he has only gotton two teeth on the bottom in. Does it take awhile for them to come in? He is growing up so fast.

Thanks for your support and advice. You are appreciated!

Hugs~

Lisa

#14 of 83 Old 01-20-2002, 05:47 PM

Thank you, Lisa!

Yes, it sure does fly by. I can hardly believe it. My own dd, born just 6 days before your son () has not lost a single tooth. She didn't get any teeth at all until she was 14 months, so it will be a while. I took some baseline radiographs on her, and those roots are not even *beginning* to resorb. It will be at least age 7 for her, I think.

Don't tell her, though! She insists she has a wiggly tooth. She tells everyone, "Hi, my name is _____, I'm 5 and a half and my tooth is wiggly!"

It's so exciting for them, and exciting and bittersweet for us!

Oh, oops, yes, sometimes they are slow to grow in. No problem, though, they all have their own schedules.

#15 of 83 Old 01-26-2002, 04:52 AM

dd#2 was 1 last week. She has the 2 top & bottom front teeth, plus she's got one either side of the 2 top & is cutting her incisors ( I think ). She's got one on one side of her bottom 2 front teeth & is cutting the one of the other side. Just over a week ago she was crawling around the floor & she yawned. She looked like she had a piece of paper in her mouth. I went to get it out & it was attached. I had a squizz in there & it was what looked like an abcess / ulcer on the back of her gum. I rushed her off to the doc who looked at it & said it was a gum infection but coz it was not inflammed & her ears were ok & it was not bothering her unduly & she was generally fine in herself, we could just monitor it & not give anti-biotics. I gave her some vit c powder orally & took some myself. After a few days it went away & she now has a nice new molar back there.

when I went back to the doc a week later there was no sign of infection so she said it was nothing to worry about. I asked her if this could have been how she got her tooth. She wasn't sure but said it seemed a touch unusual.
#16 of 83 Old 01-27-2002, 02:40 AM

OceanMomma, if it's one thing that I've learned from practicing over 20 years, but especially since I've been a mother, it's that children do not read the textbooks!
#17 of 83 Old 01-28-2002, 02:24 PM

My 1yo daughter has her two front bottom teeth, and just cut an incisor on top, but her two front top teeth have not come in yet.

A couple of months ago she fell and hit her mouth where her two top front teeth would be, pretty hard. Could an impact in that area prolong the teeth from coming down?

~Rachel~

Rachel ~ homeschooling mama to six.
#18 of 83 Old 01-28-2002, 10:31 PM

We're trying for baby #2, and I wanted to know when during pregnancy do the baby's teeth develop, and what can I eat to help them develop well? I don't want a repeat of my 1st DS's teeth. His came in deformed, and developed decay right away. I don't know if the breastfeeding caused the deformity, or if they would have come in that way regardless of the breastfeeding. We have no floride in our water, and I did not eat healthy when I was pregnant with DS. (I plan to change this next time by cutting out sugar,etc...) Is it safe to take a floride supplement while pregnant? Or are there certain foods I should eat? Any info would help. Thanks!
#19 of 83 Old 01-29-2002, 02:08 AM

Hi Smilemomma, Thanks for responding so quickly! No sooner did I post when..........

As it turns out, Molly was quite the cranky babe today -- a peek in her screaming, open mouth revealed..............five teeth cutting!!! Not only the two front top, but also the other upper incisor and the two lower incisors!! (My poor little babe!!) I'm sure it will be a long night with losts of nursings......

So, it turns out to be little Miss Molly "just showing off her individuality!"!!

Rachel ~ homeschooling mama to six.
#20 of 83 Old 01-29-2002, 10:16 PM

Rachel, I'm with ya! My dd did the same thing -- 10 teeth in 9 days once!

Hooray for Hyland's!
#21 of 83 Old 02-01-2002, 11:35 AM

Thank you Smilemomma. Reading your post was very reassuring.

Ds started getting teeth at 7 months, got them in the "proper" order, and had all 20 by 18 months. Dd is 15 months now which is the latest I ever heard of to get teeth and I really wasn't worried as long as a tooth would come in this month. Well, it did, but it wasn't one of her front teeth. It was a molar! (Have you ever heard of anything like this?) I instantly started worrying and kept thinking of stories people told me about cutting open the gums on babies whose teeth couldn't come in.

I feel better now though because one of her bottom front teeth just popped through and although I don't see any others ready to pop, I'm sure they'll follow soon. Right?
#22 of 83 Old 02-01-2002, 11:34 PM - Thread Starter

Strange to see this thread reappear out of the blue!

Funny though....it's been few months since I posted this and Smilemomma, you are right!!!! They are coming in like popcorn! I can't contain them!

So don't worry Dandelion........they'll come!

Missgrl
#23 of 83 Old 02-02-2002, 12:03 PM

Hi,

My 14mo is currently teething, he's got 2 bottom teeth and 2 top ones that have come in fully...he just cut another one on the top last nite. So this morning I was peering in his lil mouth and on the and on his top gum, right next to the front two teeth, there's like a blue spot, looks like a bruise. What on earth could have caused this? My aunt thinks perhaps it's an infection, but no tooth cut thru at that spot, so how could it be infected? Could he have bruised it by chomping down too hard on something? Should I be worried about this?? He doesn't seem to be in pain or anything, he still is nursing like crazy (in fact he nursed ALL nite long last nite, man am I tired!), but he does kinda flinch away when I try to lift his lip up and look at his gums. This is kinda scary for me, being a first time mom, but I'm happy that mothering has this dental board, this was the first place I decided to post.

Thanks in advance.
#24 of 83 Old 02-12-2002, 02:43 PM

Hello,

My 22 mo ds has two eye teeth ready to come through.

My question is, what symptoms, if any, did your child go through with his/her eye teeth?

Here are his symptoms:

Diaper rash
Runny nose (clear)
Red puffy and runny right eye
Red cheeks
Urine is strong smelling

What do you all think? Is it a cold or his teeth?

Poor little guy, I feel for him.
#25 of 83 Old 02-14-2002, 12:42 AM

No lethargy but a little cranky. His appetite is so-so.

I thought they were called eye teeth b/c they affect the eyes when the came through, i.e., watering, redness..???
#26 of 83 Old 02-15-2002, 02:16 AM

Nope. They got nicknamed eyeteeth because the roots are so long, "they almost reach the eye". And definitely not so with the baby teeth roots.

Hope he's feeling better soon! Have you tried the Hyland's, just in case?
#27 of 83 Old 02-15-2002, 12:39 PM

Actually I use a product put out by Boiron. It's all natural and works great.
#28 of 83 Old 02-20-2002, 12:45 AM

Cool!
#29 of 83 Old 04-13-2002, 11:36 PM

Ds is 15 months and has 8 teeth. He got his 7th and 8th tooth just before his 1st birthday and nothing since!!! Is this normal???
I being a nutcase and worrying that I didn't get enough calcium during pregnancy or something!!
#30 of 83 Old 07-10-2002, 06:20 PM

My 23 mo ds has 20 baby teeth now. Is that all they get until thr adult teeth come in? I'd swear he's still teething because he is drooling quite a bit. Could the drooling be caused by something else? (I guess it's time to take him to the dentist!)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page