Stainless steel crown OK for 8yo babytooth? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-24-2007, 02:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is a stainless steel crown ok for my sensitive 8yr mildly autistic child? It would be on his baby tooth (molar?) I called some another more natural dentist and they have no alternative. His DAN doctor (Defeat Autism Now) who uses a natural approach says it's ok if he has to have it. Just wanted to see if anyone had any experience with this. He's already had two molars pulled because I didn't take him to the dentist on time. He never ate tons of candy; must just have bad teeth?? Anyway, please give advice if you can. Gotta run...

Kelly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2007, 06:32 PM

Two of my three kids have a stainless steel crown. They haven't had any trouble with them. It only took the dentist about 30 min to put them on too so it didn't seem any worse than getting a filling.
Old 10-25-2007, 01:55 PM

Stainless steel is very inert. The stainless crown can be placed very quickly in one visit. An alternative would be a gold crown, which would take 2 visits and require the dentist to make molds of the mouth. Gold costs $1000+ vs. $400 for stainless steel. I would go with the stainless.
Old 10-25-2007, 02:51 PM

Gold as I understand it is better for biting surfaces as it gives a bit.
Old 10-25-2007, 03:14 PM

Yes. it is a great form of treatment. Gold is not really an option on a baby tooth. I don't know anyone who would do it. It requires more time and money. A kid wouldn't sit for a 2 hour visit including multiple impressions. Especially when the two will fall out in 3 years.
Old 10-25-2007, 11:18 PM

First s to you.
Second, yes the stainless crown will be fine and you are luck as they will fall out in the next 3-4 years. Only other sane options that are cost and time affective are the white stainless crowns that are hard to find. My son needs one on his upper first molar and we are getting a white (fingers crossed) crown and the cost for a silver was $167 and white was $190, I am in Oregon. My son has sensory issues and may have aspergers and gets very upset by change and the silver would throw him off.. and every time we would go back to the dentist he would think no matter what he was getting another.

Best of luck to you.
Old 10-26-2007, 02:14 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I was just wondering about this too.
My DS just recieved NINE (I'm still in shock) white stainless steel crowns. They did cost us more but they look good, still not 100% like is natural teeth did but those were decaying at an extremely rapid rate. He also does not have candy and limited fruit leathers and raisins. I'm going to blame this one on genetics.

Megan ~ mama to the Mountain Man (9 years old)
Old 10-27-2007, 01:15 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you everyone for your replies about the stainless steel crown. My ds is on his way right now with his father to get the crown put on. You have all put my mind at rest! I'm glad I joined this forum.

Kelly
Old 10-27-2007, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mk_buster View Post
Thank you everyone for your replies about the stainless steel crown. My ds is on his way right now with his father to get the crown put on. You have all put my mind at rest! I'm glad I joined this forum.

Kelly
Give us a update mama.
I hope it went well.
Old 10-27-2007, 10:15 PM

My NT dd had several stainless crowns, her teeth seemed to be more sensitive to cold/hot- just something to be aware of.

Michelle -mom to Katlyn 4/00 , Jake 3/02, and Seth 5/04

User Tag List