Cracked molar ...now nerve is exposed...help? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-11-2007, 08:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have major dental woes It's actually not funny but Im just so frustrated at my teeth.
I had perfect non cavity teeth til my first daughter was born.....then they all went to heck...(12 years ago).

I've had a few root canals here and there and need tons of work right now...but the immediate problem is this. A few months ago, one of my back molars chipped....a piece came off...leaving a hole

Fast forward to yesterday.....I bit down during lunch and nearly flew up into space from the pain......I can feel the nerve is just totally exposed. I cant chew on that side....but I cant even let my tongue cause suction over that tooth or the pain is so bad that it literally brings tears to my eyes....

The dentist is out of the question for now.....we cant afford it (not til the first of the year when we get our new insurance). Is there something I can put there temporarily? Is there something I can take to possibly heal or prevent an abscess? (i'm thinking mass quantities of vit c).

Any other advice? Thanks.....

Here's me I married then we had dd15 , dd11 , ds10 , and then and now we and I blog!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2007, 08:37 PM

orajel tooth desentizer - get some, put it on the applicator stick, then place on the nerve if possible.

It last about a month, and after a few months of dosing as needed, it will kill the nerve. not the greatest thing to do, but it does kill the pain.
Old 11-11-2007, 09:39 PM

Go to the drugstore and get some temporary material and stick it in the hole to keep it covered. Do you have a dentist that you regularly go to. If so then call and explain your situation and they may be able to give you an antibiotic. If you are in that much pain you may already have an abscess. They probably won't give you a narcotic for pain unless they see you but you can take 4 over the counter advil. This is a prescription strength. Motrin, Ibuprofen and Advil are all the same so get a generic if you can. You can take this dose every 4-6 hours but I wouldn't stay on it very long because it can cause stomach issues. Good luck
Old 11-11-2007, 09:43 PM

The homeopathic remedy Hypercurium is for nerve pain and it's helped me with exposed nerves in my teeth in the past.
Old 11-11-2007, 09:48 PM

Oh wow, tooth pain is horrible! From what I had researched online in the past, here are some remedies that might help but they aren't 'mainstream'... the one I read in the Doctors book of home remedies says to take a swig of high proof whiskey (I'd hold it in the one side of my mouth where the hole ISN'T first to get it to warmer temperatures) then swish it around your mouth for awhile. They advise to not swallow the whiskey... but to spit it out. Any high proof booze would work though. The alcohol helps numb and disinfect the tooth. EEK!

You might also want to rinse your mouth out with warm salt water once or twice a day to keep from getting an infection.

Hope this helps! I don't have any money to go to the dentist, I know I have some issues but I'm going to try to remineralize my teeth with alfalfa and using calcium and stuff.

My DH also swears by using celery! He used to have horrible tooth pain and would chew a piece of celery and then put the pulp against the tooth that was hurting...it was a natural anesthetic.

Circ doesn't work! Stop the violence of circumcison. Had another UP/UC/HB in August!
Old 11-12-2007, 01:18 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestions, mamas!

I went to Walgreens and found the tooth desensitizer but it said to put it on the tooth and if it could burn if you put it on the gum or soft tissue so I was afraid to get it since the nerve is soft.....

I did buy some orajel tooth swabs....so I can stick that it and it will numb the area.....

sandygirl~ have you actually put the tooth desensitizer on your nerve or gum area? Thanks

Here's me I married then we had dd15 , dd11 , ds10 , and then and now we and I blog!
Old 11-12-2007, 01:49 AM

Well if you want to cover the nerve use the wax in the dental isle, It's for kids with braces.

Ibuprofen will help with swollen gums.

Orajel stings for a few seconds but it's worth it.
Old 11-22-2007, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykdsmomy View Post
Thanks for the suggestions, mamas!

I went to Walgreens and found the tooth desensitizer but it said to put it on the tooth and if it could burn if you put it on the gum or soft tissue so I was afraid to get it since the nerve is soft.....

I did buy some orajel tooth swabs....so I can stick that it and it will numb the area.....

sandygirl~ have you actually put the tooth desensitizer on your nerve or gum area? Thanks
I have - it stings a bit but no worse than the exposed nerve Normally I'm in agony when I do it already from the tooth pain, so I've never really noticed the stinging.

it does KILL the nerve though, which may or may not be what you want.
Old 11-25-2007, 02:11 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Hi,

I've personally used the homeopathic remedy that you should get, it's called Hypericum Perf 30x. It is a remedy for nerve injury.

And it is cheap. My mom bought it at a local health food store for $5.99. I now keep it constantly in my house because it can be used for any type of nerve injury.

So other than losing $5 to $10 if it doesn't work, what have you really lost?

Yet, so far, everyone I've advised about Hypericum Pref 30x it is positive. Try it, you've got everything to gain.
Old 11-28-2007, 03:41 AM

You can use a small bit of wax or some temporary dental cement to cover the nerve until you can receive dental care. The wax and temporary cement are generally available in drugstores and grocery stores. I have also seen the wax available at outdoor stores that carry camping/hiking supplies, stores like REI.
Old 11-29-2007, 01:53 AM

vinegar.... for the pain, swish your mouth and try and leave the vinegar sit on the cavity as long as possible, it will hurt... bad... for a little bit but the vinegar pain will ease and so will the original nerve pain.

oragel, abosol, products like work but they seem to just numb the pain then it returns, the only way I can describe what the vinegar does is that it shocks that nerve and changes the way it processes the pain if that makes sense... you will need to reapply the vinegar so it's not a total cure but the releif will last longer.

Part of me thinks that the vinegar acts like an antiseptic so it may possibly help keep infection at bay???? that's guessing though.

User Tag List