halting and healing cavities - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 57 Old 11-27-2007, 08:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by klockdj View Post
Yikes. Did I jump the gun or what. Sorry I was so defensive. I actually was taking it personally because most of the other posts were like that. I'm sorry that you have had bad financial experiences w/ dentists. I have never worked for anyone like that. My dentists have always been very conservative and the one I work for now does quite a bit of work for free. If someone comes in w/ a horrible toothache he doesn't even question how they will pay. If they want something done today, they get it done today and we worry about finances later. We have people that don't pay us a dime and he still sees them. We are not a public aid practice that is just how he is. I still do not believe you can heal a cavity. I've actually discussed this w/ my boss to see what he had to say and he said it was impossible. Maybe we are wrong but I think my point was that the people who posted didn't even consider my position. Once again, sorry for the flip out.

Ok I've mixed up posts. You are not the one that has claimed to be scammed. Sorry, long day
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 57 Old 11-28-2007, 12:07 AM

Klockdj, your original post was somewhat offputting. But I was SO impressed with your humility when you answered the ensuing posts. Of course you have many years of experience behind you. And of course you are speaking of what you know from that experience.

Obviously, you are here to learn, or at least listen to our viewpoints, as shown by some of your responses. I appreciate your continuing here and educating us --as you listen to our whys or wherefores as to how we feel on the subject.
#33 of 57 Old 11-28-2007, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter

Ditto that. What makes this community work is that there are different viewpoints and we all push each other to learn more, no matter what side of hte fence we are standing on.
#34 of 57 Old 11-28-2007, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogonia View Post
Klockdj, your original post was somewhat offputting. But I was SO impressed with your humility when you answered the ensuing posts. Of course you have many years of experience behind you. And of course you are speaking of what you know from that experience.

Obviously, you are here to learn, or at least listen to our viewpoints, as shown by some of your responses. I appreciate your continuing here and educating us --as you listen to our whys or wherefores as to how we feel on the subject.

Thanks to you and firefaery. I'm not beyond admitting admitting my mistakes and apologizing when I know I'm wrong. The reason I came to mothering.com in the first place was the infertility board. So of course not only am I all wound up about not being able to concieve a 2nd time but I'm also on fertility drugs that wind me even tighter. Hormones may appear on this board and for that I apologize. I happened on the dental board and looked at some of the questions and thought I could help someone. I still feel I can. I will probably stay away from the controversial topics or at least offer my opinion as just that, my opinion. Peace to you.
#35 of 57 Old 11-28-2007, 12:53 PM

About xylitol -

You can get gum, or just plain xylitol sweetener by the pound at a health food store. Studies on children in scandinavian countries demonstrated that xylitol gum (2 grams of xylitol a day I believe!) resulted in fewer cavities. If you take in way too much, you may get diahrea. (sp?)

Some gum brands are Xylimax (Finland) and Spry (China). You could also try MiPaste (a calcium product)

If you have tooth sensitivity to cold on the blackened area, it sounds like a cavity. If you get throbbing pain and/or massive sensitivity to cold that will not go away after the source of cold is removed, then then nerve is probably involved... and then its time for root canal procedure or extraction.

Oral bacteria are associated with risk of premature birth, so it is important to get things under control if you are planning on more babies!
#36 of 57 Old 11-29-2007, 12:06 AM

I wouldn't trust an OB, I loved my midwives. same way I am skeptical of a dentist....to a lesser degree, but still.

I can only tell you what has happened with my own teeth. When I was pregnant with DS1 in 2003 I had one cavity filled and 3 more to be done. One was of "urgency" two he said go ahead and wait untill the baby comes...

Now we are in 2007, almost 8. We had this weird half cross the country move last summer and back to the NW all within the same few months (off topic LOL) and while I was in TX I saw a dentist to have my teeth cleaned ONLY (had absolutely no interest in hearing anything else). He said I had a spot on my lower bicuspid that we should watch. Now I trust the first dentist telling me I had an urgent cavity, only because he is a well to do man, husband has seen him for years and he has never once pushed on anything. very down to earth, probably thinks I'm personally a wack job about my oponion regarding tooth health.....but nonetheless as good as a dentist can be IMO.

So I'm not sure if I never had a cavity or something happened to help it : I took high doses of CLO eat good fats and so on. I don't do xylitol but for a mouth wash because it is the best tasting to me.

There are lots of opinoins on the matter. I'm not sure if I believe mine is the only one, but I know I believe in it for me and my family which is all I really care about.

I CAN tell you that not only did my urgent cavity make way to a "spot" to watch, but I developed a habbit of sticking my tongue on my tooth while chewing or drinking because it was so sensitive, and now i can swish either hot or cold water. That speaks more than antyhing else for me
#37 of 57 Old 11-29-2007, 12:50 AM

And just a note, I do not think all dentist are scammers. There are skilled dentists who do good things for people in pain. My sister had a botched boob job and come to find out the guy had an out of state law suit from a surgery gone bad and the woman died.

There are good and bad people. Unfortunately if you go to school long enough you can do a lot of harm, or a lot of good. SOme people see dollar signs and it does bad things to them and others. I am rambling . I just think it's sad when people here feel threatened. I mean, it IS a natural living community, but still there are places for everything and every kind of person
#38 of 57 Old 12-04-2007, 02:24 AM

FF,
You might want to pm Toraji. She did a lot of research into healing cavities with nutrition and had a heck of a time with her dd. I remember her stating in one post that if a cavity turns black that means it is dead. I think this was posted in chealting mamas thread. I've never read anything about that anywhere else. I know Toraji's life is crazy right now with building a new house and she may not be checking MDC at all. If you can't get hold of her let me know and I can PM you with her personal email address.
#39 of 57 Old 12-04-2007, 10:19 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, Moneca. I may just do that.

I just realized that if I dropped all my electives for next year I could take several classes in biological dentistry...I mean I think I can. SInce it's not my chosen path I don't know that they will let me. I'm really torn. I don't think it will serve me in the long run, but it would sure be interesting right now! I may find out about auditing....I can't see dropping things that I feel I need...but if I can sit in I would TOTALLY do it.

I'm just a dork who loves to learn!
#40 of 57 Old 12-10-2007, 10:31 AM - Thread Starter

okay-posting to my own thread...I'm a dork.

has anyone seen this guys vidoes or read his book?
http://www.yourreturn.org/Treatments/Teeth/index.htm

Curious as to what everyone thinks...
#41 of 57 Old 12-11-2007, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefaery View Post
okay-posting to my own thread...I'm a dork.

has anyone seen this guys vidoes or read his book?
http://www.yourreturn.org/Treatments/Teeth/index.htm

Curious as to what everyone thinks...
firefaery, Rami has posted on MDC before -- have you read this thread?
#42 of 57 Old 12-11-2007, 11:02 AM - Thread Starter

Nope, but thanks for the heads up. Off to read!
#43 of 57 Old 12-11-2007, 05:17 PM

I've watched Rami's videos on Utube and it's pretty much just WAP nutrient dense eating along with CLO/HVBO 3x per day. I believe he also got into eliminating toxins or at least eliminating them from your living environment a bit, but you're already doing that. It's good that his material is available for everyone out there.
#44 of 57 Old 12-11-2007, 05:36 PM - Thread Starter

I think it is helpful to people (dh) who won't read, but is perfectly content to watch a summation for 20 minutes or so! It is nice to have it come from somewhere other than me...
#45 of 57 Old 12-11-2007, 10:45 PM

Is anyone here familiar with the booklet on the Perfect Prescription Tooth Soap website? It seems like it might be similar to what Rami's saying. I'm interested but all this information costs money, and it's not like my library would carry it.

Formerly New Mama to Henry, born August 2005 and Silas, born November 2010.
#46 of 57 Old 12-12-2007, 08:52 PM

We use xylichew you can get it online at luckyvitamin or vitaglo.com to help my dd's teeth.

treehugger.gif Birth and PP doula, Mama to DD (7/04) DS (3/08)    belly.gifwith #3 EDD 11/29/13, and 30+ chicken3.gif , 2 ducks

#47 of 57 Old 12-14-2007, 10:09 PM

Hi, I am an advocate of Xylitol, by example. The following are some excellent informative sites that got my mom started and have led to the 'healing' of my 2 yr olds teeth.

www.zellies.com [written by a pediatric dentist]; www.epicdental.com [they offer a guarantee on their xylitol products]; and www.xlear.com [Spry products].

My son had - notice the word 'HAD' x-number of cavities and rot in his front teeth to the tune of $2400. Then when he fell and broke 2 of his front teeth the price went up to $3400. But my mom started researching everything she could find about Xylitol. And she came across the sites above and contacted the folks at those sites about what to do for Trenton's teeth. The advice was start him on Xylitol, fortunately he can safely chew gum so we give him the gum [he loves cinnamon - calls it his 'hot' gum], candies [the zellies fruit are his 'vite' candies], brush his teeth with Spry Xylitol gel [wipe ACTS Bubblegum fluoride rinse on only when he takes a nap or at night before bedtime - see zellies.com for reason]; and use the Xlear "RAIN" Xylitol mouth spray when we're out shopping or in church.

Last month we took him to a new pediatric dentist and his response was, all the little cavities had disappeared (?) evidently remineralized; his front teeth where the break happened has sealed over; he has had no pain and no abscesses. He is talking up a storm, not just single words but strings 3 and 4 together to make sentences.

My mom has also used the homeopathic Hypericum perf 30X on Trenton, especially after he fell and broke his teeth - she gave the little pills to me when I had sciatica in my right leg. Pain radiated down my leg, and it felt like it was on fire. One day, four pills four times that day and all symptoms disappeared and I haven't had it since.

But I would urge you to check out the websites, they have lots of info on each of them; and contact them. Dr. Ellie [of zellies.com] actually called me up one day to encourage me to stick with the program my mom started with Trenton.

Oh, one other thing, it takes about 5 weeks for you to begin to see a difference; and 6 months to 1 year before you can classify your mouth in really awesome shape. You said you have 1 big cavity - Trenton does too. That one has not remineralized enough to close it, but his dentist told me just to keep an eye on it. If at any time it looks like Trenton's in pain, or we find a bump on his gum, I'm to bring him in and they will do something but for right now he [the dentist] said it looks as if it has stopped growing.

Anyway, there you have it. Hope this helps.
#48 of 57 Old 12-14-2007, 11:10 PM

I haven't checked out the links on xylitol yet -- thanks for posting them! -- but I have to admit that while I'm intrigued, I'm a little bit wary. I'm just worried that I'll start using it or have DS start using it, and then X number of years from now it will be discovered that xylitol is a cancer-causing agent, or something.

Formerly New Mama to Henry, born August 2005 and Silas, born November 2010.
#49 of 57 Old 12-20-2007, 01:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klockdj View Post
Thanks to you and firefaery. I'm not beyond admitting admitting my mistakes and apologizing when I know I'm wrong. The reason I came to mothering.com in the first place was the infertility board. So of course not only am I all wound up about not being able to concieve a 2nd time but I'm also on fertility drugs that wind me even tighter. Hormones may appear on this board and for that I apologize. I happened on the dental board and looked at some of the questions and thought I could help someone. I still feel I can. I will probably stay away from the controversial topics or at least offer my opinion as just that, my opinion. Peace to you.
Then I would further urge you to get a copy of Weston Price's "Nutrition and Physical Degeneration". He also connects the massive amounts of nutrients in traditional diets, containing 4x the minerals/water soluble vits and 10x the fat soluble vitamins with fertility. This dentist was the head of research for the ADA of his day, well versed in the scientific method. He travelled around the world studying 40 different native populations (and their modern counterparts) for a decade. It's impossible to dismiss this amount of evidence. Wonderful life changing read.
http://www.westonaprice.org/traditio...ry_wisdom.html

His work on root canals detailed here:
http://www.ppnf.org/catalog/ppnf/Articles/Rootcanal.htm
#50 of 57 Old 12-20-2007, 01:47 AM

Isn't there a "good" xylitol and a "bad" one? am I remembering this correctly? I know some is from corn and some from birch trees?
#51 of 57 Old 12-20-2007, 01:49 AM

Firefaery,
There is a Vitamin K Yahoo group that is chiefly using Thorne's K2 supplement ... it's showing much better/faster enamel thickness than butter oil. I'm still suspect as it's synthetic MK-4 but you might want to take a look. Maybe it's b/c it is so concentrated. And we really dont' know how much K2 is in butter oil.
#52 of 57 Old 12-20-2007, 11:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneS View Post
Isn't there a "good" xylitol and a "bad" one? am I remembering this correctly? I know some is from corn and some from birch trees?
I seem to remember that too...
#53 of 57 Old 12-20-2007, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneS View Post
Firefaery,
There is a Vitamin K Yahoo group that is chiefly using Thorne's K2 supplement ... it's showing much better/faster enamel thickness than butter oil. I'm still suspect as it's synthetic MK-4 but you might want to take a look. Maybe it's b/c it is so concentrated. And we really dont' know how much K2 is in butter oil.
Sigh. I will check it out. I acquired raw pasture butter and tried to give it to Emrys. It was a serious no-go. I welcome any new info. Thanks.
#54 of 57 Old 12-21-2007, 01:44 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
There is a Vitamin K Yahoo group that is chiefly using Thorne's K2 supplement ... it's showing much better/faster enamel thickness than butter oil.
JaneS, I've only been skimming the daily digests from the vitamin k yahoo group--do some of them discuss tooth enamel? Could you elaborate on this?
#55 of 57 Old 12-21-2007, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanyaLopez View Post
JaneS, I've only been skimming the daily digests from the vitamin k yahoo group--do some of them discuss tooth enamel? Could you elaborate on this?
Unfortunately this is second hand (but reliable) ... perhaps do a search?
#56 of 57 Old 12-23-2007, 07:59 PM

:

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#57 of 57 Old 12-24-2007, 05:39 PM

Very interesting stuff! I absolutely hate going to the dentist. The last time I went (in Sept) to get my teeth cleaned I was told I have a big cavity that needed to be filled right away. Well because we don't currently have dental insurance I wasn't able to fill it and lately that tooth has been hurting quite a bit off and on. I am soo scared about having to have a root canal or something like that. Once a cavity gets to this point where it is big is there anything you can do to heal it or is the only option getting the cavity filled?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page