BPA-free composite fillings? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 11-25-2007, 09:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does anyone have any information on these? I need 8 cavities filled (yikes!) and I'm trying to get info on BPA-free composites. I'm nursing my dd who just turned two and we're planning on TTC in a month or two so I'd really like to avoid the BPA. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 11-27-2007, 04:08 AM - Thread Starter

Anybody?
#3 of 9 Old 11-27-2007, 02:35 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I've never heard of such a thing, do you know if it exists? I just had a composite filling replaced last week & am nursing, I've nursed/been pregnant through many composite fillings. Dd1 even has a few composite fillings. I'd love to know if there's an alternative to the bisphenol-A & formaldehyde crap that is used....

Homeschoolin' Mama chicken3.gifto Dd1 2/3/00, Dd2 1/13/03, Ds1 3/11/06 & Ds2 11/18/10!!
#4 of 9 Old 11-28-2007, 07:34 AM - Thread Starter

Yes, I know they exist but they seem to be hard to get much info about. There's a brand called DiamondLite, but I was told by one dentist that it's no longer being made/distributed. A different dentist told me that it's not a very good product and it doesn't look good or perform well at all. I guess there's also a relatively new product called Ceram-X which doesn't have BPA but it's made of nanoparticles, which I've heard can be really toxic. So I'm just more confused than ever. : I've been calling all the holistic and biological dentists in my area looking for info. I'm waiting for a few more to call me back, so I'll let you know if I find anything else out. So there's also formaldehyde in composites? I didn't know that. Yuck. :
#5 of 9 Old 11-28-2007, 03:32 PM

Some options for you:

1) Gold fillings. expensive and gold colored. But very bio-compatible.
2) Ceramic fillings. tooth colored but very expensive, I am guessing 8 cavities would cost $4-8000 to do. (prices vary regionally) Thats like a college fund starter for a new baby!
3) Ceram-X. You will want to check out the MSDS on this product, as I have no idea personally if it has BPA in it.
4) Glass-ionomer cement. A temp filling material, very bio-compatible. Sometimes used in baby teeth. Low cost but might require frequent replacement. It will be hard to find a dentist to install this in an adult.
5) Adult stainless steel crowns. (like Jaws in one of the James Bond movies) An ugly approach, but less expensive than gold. I would not do it.

I am not at all concerned about the "nano" aspect of Ceram X. I have worked with both polymer formulation and nanocomposites in my former jobs. Polymers have 60% + ceramic powders in them, to make the filling white, properly translucent/opaque, and wear resistant. The filler has a range of sizes, so it will handle properly before curing (thixotropy). The "nano" claim is being made here by some people in marketing because 5% or so of the filler particles are of a very small size. (This is probably true for other products on the market.) People making the product in Germany need to have proper respiratory protection - regardless of the particle size. But this is not an issue for the dentist or you. Contrary to the hype about nano technology, these small inert filler particles are just small and inert. If the filling wears, they will pass through your gut and exit your body.
(With amalgam, silver particles and mercury are doing this right now, with a small % of the mercury being absorbed into your bloodstream)

http://www.dentsply.de/docs/index_ka...6093_suma~.htm
#6 of 9 Old 12-04-2007, 11:41 PM - Thread Starter

Wow, thanks for the reply SleeplessMommy! Unfortunately, the only option that really makes sense is the Ceram-X since we don't have money for ceramic and my cavities are all in front, so no gold or stainless steel. Can I ask if you're concerned about the BPA in composites? It's good to hear that you're not too concerned about the nanoparticles. Does this hold true for all "nano" composites like Grandio and Glacier? Do you know anything about DiamondLite -- I've heard it's no good, but the materials look the best in regards to toxicity. I'm still very confused and talking to different holistic/biological dentists just has me even more confused. I feel like I'm about ready to just go in and get the BPA stuff, I just want to be done with all this. Plus, I need the work done before the end of the year so I'm running out of time. Thanks for any additional info!
#7 of 9 Old 12-04-2007, 11:49 PM

The use of the word "nano" is put in there by the marketing department ... you will be just fine with the "nano" in any of the composite filling materials.

I personally have composite fillings ... that may contain BPA. Since they replaced multiple amalgam fillings, I am very OK with this. The amount of BPA that can leach from a composite filling is actually pretty small. The fillings are 60% plus glass or ceramic materials by weight, so only 30-35% polymer. They are UV or blue light cured and pretty stable in the mouth.

Use a filling material the dentist is comfortable with. You don't want him learning in your mouth. I will take ANY composite material over amalgam.
#8 of 9 Old 12-16-2007, 06:19 PM

I call my local DAMS contact when I have dental questions. He recommended Admira as a good Bisphenol-A-free composite filling and bond.

Quote:
Leo Cashman, DAMS Coordinator
DAMS
1079 Summit Ave, St Paul, MN 55105
651-222-6760 or 800-311-6265

About Leo and DAMS:
For seven years, I have been the manager of DAMS, Intl., a non-profit organization that educates the public on dental amalgam mercury fillings and other ways dentistry may affect out health. I am editor of the DAMS newsletter and I write and speak on the dental-health connection. I have degrees in physics and mathematics.
#9 of 9 Old 12-18-2007, 06:58 AM - Thread Starter

Hmmm, that's really interesting. One of the biological dentists in my area recommended that one too and I did some research into it. I didn't like what I found. This is a link to a research study about some composites and their flowable derivatives. http://www.springerlink.com/content/djjmxyd0p53c9plj/ (Quotes below)

"Among the standard composites, Tetric Ceram was the least cytotoxic and Admira the most."

"HPLC analysis revealed bisphenol A glycerolate dimethacrylate (bis-GMA) and triethylene glycol dimethacrylate (TEGDMA) in the eluates of all the materials, while urethane dimethacrylate (UDMA) was present in all eluates except that of Feltik Flow."

Here's the MSDS for the Admira, which shows it has Bis-GMA http://www.henryschein.com.au/MSDS/V...AdmiraBond.pdf

Bis-GMA isn't listed specifically on the MSDS for the Admira Flow, which was shown to be significantly less cytotoxic than the Admira in the above study. That seems to be the better choice among the two in terms of cytotoxicity. But the above study shows that there was Bis-GMA in all the composites, including the Admira flow, so...

I'm actually surprised at how little dentists (holistic/biological dentists) know about this topic. I had a very experienced, well-regarded IAOMT dentist recommend Grandio, saying it had no Bis-GMA. Well, a quick google search proved otherwise. He had no idea and is now looking into it via the manufacturer, although he admits it looks like it has Bis-GMA after all. Bah. This is getting a little bit ridiculous.

I think I'll get the DiamondCrown stuff. It seems to be the only composite that is truly free of BPA. I have to admit I'm worried about it's performance and I plan to talk to a few more dentists about this specifically...But all my research has me wary of getting 8 BPA fillings, especially since we'll probably be TTC very soon. I don't think I'd be as worried otherwise...

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page