Is Xylitol dangerous? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-07-2008, 08:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
In another thread someone told me Xylitol was dangerous, but didn't back that up with any research. I tried to do my own research, but can't find anything on the web about Xylitol being dangerous for humans, just animals.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2008, 09:14 PM

I'm a bit paranoid, but only because too many things were once deemed "safe" only to later be found to be dangerous or cancer causing, etc. I don't have anything to back up my feelings about xylitol though.
Old 01-13-2008, 04:51 PM

I've been wondering this same thing and can't find any negative info on it at all.

Heathertreehugger.gif
Mama to 5 (b17,b11,b9,g6,b4)

Our Final Addition stork-suprise.gifarriving in Mid June 2014

Old 01-16-2008, 04:23 AM

I don't really know. I've done the research too, and can't really find anything either way. Some dentists that I trust, that are also Naturopaths, say that people in Denmark have been using it for decades and their teeth are generally awesome and with no ill effects. But, it IS a highly processed sugar, and who knows the source of the stuff other than it's made in China, so overall... I don't know. I use it, I give it to my kid, but it's not a comfortable decision. I guess you have to weigh the risks (or risk of risks) based on the situation and your comfort level.

Sara ~ one dh + one 5yo boy + baby in 2011
Old 01-16-2008, 04:35 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The sugar alcohols (xylitol, malitol, etc.) in too large quantities can cause gastrointestinal upset, according to what I've found. But xylitol in your toothpaste or chewing gum isn't that kind of quantity for most people.

erythritol is supposed to cause the least of that sort of problem, so I was using it in my coffee for a while. I ran out and went back to sugar since the rest of my diet had imploded anyway, but it didn't seem to have any ill effect.

The advantage is that it is relatively naturally brewed from sugar, rather than chemically synthesized the way splenda, apartame, etc. are.

breastfeeding, babywearing, homeschooling Heathen parent to my little Wanderer, 7 1/2 , and baby Elf-stone, 3/11!

Old 02-05-2008, 04:39 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Hi, Xylitol is ONLY dangerous to animals, dogs in particular. However you do have to work up to how much grams are recommended.

My son would eat a whole tub of Xylitol candies and then have diarrhea all day, so now we keep the tubs under lock & key and give him only 4 candies [that's 2 grams] and 4 to 6 chicklets [that's 2 to 3 grams]; than brush his teeth with 100% Xylitol at least twice a day. He is doing great!

Sometimes he gets more, other times less.

Hope this helps!
Old 02-05-2008, 05:32 AM

luv2bamommy2, which xylitol toothpast does your son use? Thanks

:SaHM to 3 *DD* DD2 * DS
Old 08-02-2008, 12:56 AM

He doesn't, says the toothpaste is "too hot!" That is SPRY. So we, my mom and me, have made up a combo of stuff to act as "his" toothpaste.

We start out with SPRY Infant Gel [that's some of the Xylitol], then we spread some Tom's of Maine Strawberry fluoride-free toothpaste on the brush; after which we dip that in 1 tsp of Xylitol crystals, and top it off with some more Infant Gel. My ds is highly co-operative to have his teeth brushed with this, twice a day...nap and night.

Then we finish off with the 1 tsp Xylitol crystals + 1 TBSP water wiping this in his cheeks, the roof of his mouth, his tongue. Then he goes to sleep.

It works...at least for us. :>D
Old 08-03-2008, 07:55 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
here is a website that talks about the dangers of xylitol:

http://www.curetoothdecay.com/Tooth_...ooth_decay.htm

http://www.curetoothdecay.com/
Old 09-08-2008, 03:33 AM

We, my mom and I, have been using Xylitol now for almost 2 years without any adverse effects. My ds has grown accustomed to eating it and no longer has diarrhea from the up to 12 grams he eats.

From what I understand from Dr. Ellie's site [www.zellies.com] she, personally, has been using and encouraging her patients and friends to use onwards of 25 years without any complications from any of them.

The Finnish Dental Health Organization has been using Xylitol since the 40's without any complications in children, teens or adults. And they endorse it to be used for all the people. That is 68 years with no deaths, no problems.

So I need to be worried about what this website writes; I don't think so.

We can be scared of a lot of things, but what happens in a rat is not going to stop me from protecting my child's teeth with something that has been researched 68 years without any detrimental effects except the diarrhea if you start out eating too much.

And one other thing, my son has never complained of a stomach ache from eating Xylitol.
Old 09-08-2008, 02:04 PM

I'm not afraid of xylitol, and we use it. I think it's helped a lot; we've been able to postpone work on my son's decay for over two years now.

That said, I've felt the "hot" sensation on my teeth before; it occured when I was losing enamel. Not saying that's what's happening now, but that's the only time my teeth have felt hot.

Sara ~ one dh + one 5yo boy + baby in 2011
Old 09-08-2008, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaPOW! View Post
But, it IS a highly processed sugar, and who knows the source of the stuff other than it's made in China, so overall... I don't know. I use it, I give it to my kid, but it's not a comfortable decision.
You don't have to use Xylitol made in China. I wouldn't. Also wouldn't use one made from corn, but that's just me (I am allergic to corn).

I use one made from birch. It's more expensive but I feel it's a good quality product and am very comfortable with that decision.
Old 09-08-2008, 06:45 PM

Okay, I just picked up a bag of xylitol sugar (powdered) so how the heck do I use it? I love love love tea with sugar in the morning, but am stoppng that tommorow because of these stupid teeth. Would I just replace the white sugar in the tea with xylitol and get the same benefits?
Old 10-03-2008, 12:42 AM

Just use the Xylitol like you would sugar. 1 tsp = 4 grams.

OR, just before and just after you have your 'sugared' tea, mix 1 tsp Xylitol in a Tablespoon of water and wipe this mixture all over your teeth, or dip a toothbrush in it and brush your teeth...making sure that you get way in the back molars. That is your protection, neither the sugar or the acids your food or drink form can do any damage.

www.epicdental.com guarantee their Xylitol, that once you start using it you will never have another cavity. I'm using their program. Some folks have told me they thought the products were a bit pricey...BUT compare that to having a cavity filled! Where I live it's about $56. I'd rather go the Xylitol way.
Old 10-04-2008, 12:20 AM

Did you try it? I read that you have to start slowly with it b/c too much can give you diarrhea.

User Tag List