Is there something I can use instead of fluoride toothpaste to "strengthen" enamel? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 22 Old 01-10-2008, 12:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My 4 year old dd had her first dental check up today. She has 3 molars that have brown marks on the outside.

About a year and a half we noticed them. They are in an area where we missed brushing because at that point we were just happy to get the toothbrush in there at all. She was less than a willing participant in toothbrushing. When they appeared we took extra care to brush that part of her teeth every time and the discolouration stopped.

Today at the dentist dh was told that we halted the possible damaged but that her enamel need to be strengthened and they recommended that we brush her teeth with fluoridated toothpaste.

Nether dh or I want to stick that stuff in her mouth.

We agree that we should do something though. We are open to natural sources of fluoride or something else that we can use to remineralise her teeth. Do any of you have any advise?

Mama to 3 lovely home learning, nature loving girls read.gif(10), fairy.gif(7), fly-by-nursing1.gif (3).

#2 of 22 Old 01-10-2008, 08:03 PM

We are brushing with tooth soap http://www.perfect-prescription.com .
#3 of 22 Old 01-19-2008, 01:13 AM

See Curing Cavities with Nutrition thread. Teeth are built by the nutrients in your diet.
#4 of 22 Old 01-20-2008, 01:20 AM

I have been wondering this as well. Thanks for the direction.
#5 of 22 Old 01-24-2008, 03:51 AM

Hi, folks are going to get tired of me touting Xylitol, but I can't help it. My son, now 2.5, HAD a disease called Early Childhood Caries [ECC]. When I first took him to the dentist I was told that just about every tooth had the beginning of a cavity in it, while 1 back molar had a huge cavity.

He was schedule for major surgery $2400 worth to begin with, then he fell and broke a couple front teeth and the price went up to $3400.

But my mom became an activist, searching on the internet for some way to avoid doing that and she discovered a website, written by a pediatric dentist about Xylitol. Anyway, to make a long story short, we wrote to the dentist - Dr. Ellie - and she encouraged us to try using Xylitol for 6 months.

Trenton has been on the program 6 months this month, his last visit to the dentist in December all the little cavities had remineralized, the large one in the back molar had been halted. His broken teeth had healed over; his teeth are clean, and appear to be exceptionally strong - this according to the dentist.

Anyway, his next appointment is for July.

We use Spry [www.xlear.com] toothpaste, chewing gum, and RAIN Dry Mouth Spray; Zellies [www.zellies.com] toothpaste and chewing gum; Epic [www.epicdental.com] chewing gum. My mom found a new product called XyloBurst [100% Xylitol] on the web that offers free samples [http://www.xyloburst.com/xyloburst-xylitol-gum.html] they even pay shipping, so I asked if they'd send me some.

Zellies and epic also send out free samples if you request them.

Hope this helps.
#6 of 22 Old 01-24-2008, 01:02 PM

Hi,
I have tied to incorporate some of the diet changes according to Dr. Weston A. Price (I search threads on this site and the foundation website). We already eat Kerrygold butter and have added the Cod Liver Oil. I don't have access to any grass-fed animal products or unpasteurized milk products because we live in the burbs. The health food stores don't even get the stuff. So I'm not sure how close to the ideal our diet can actually get.

Nevertheless, I also won't touch fluoride or any commercial products with chemicals in them. I'm strictly for non-chemical care. I even have read all kinds of bad stuff about carrageenan (potential carcinogen) and stopped using so-called organic toothpastes with this ingredient.

I found this site a while back and love a lot of their products, so I decided to try their tooth care line.
http://www.evansgarden.com/dental-care.php

They are a bit slow in delivery but if you are patient, you will like them. They are a small company that hand crafts their products with care. I'm not a rep for them in any way - just a happy customer. I'm hoping their tooth care products will do a good job because my dentist said I need three small cavaties filled and after researching how toxic all the methods are out there, I have opted NOT to fill them. I am going to do my best to fix through diet and cleaning.
#7 of 22 Old 01-24-2008, 01:06 PM

Raw dairy comes to mind, my nutrionist swears by it. Lots of info at Weston Price Foundation.
#8 of 22 Old 01-24-2008, 02:33 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Frankly, brushing doesn't have all that much to do with healthy teeth, if you read the work of dentist Weston A Price, Nutrition and Physical Degeneration, you will understand this. I second reading the Curing Cavities with Nutrition thread, and reading through the Weston A Price Foundation website. Strong teeth come from strong nutrition, but not just the child's nutrtition, they are also affected by pregnancy, pre-conception maternal and grand-maternal nutrition. To begin, I would suggest, high vitamin cod liver oil, high vitamin butter oil, raw dairy, bone broths.

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#9 of 22 Old 01-24-2008, 03:14 PM

Yeah, I've been reading the Weston Price stuff and I bought the book by Rami Nagel, talking in detail about the diet. I'd love to find a place around here that sells grass-fed, unpasteurized anything! Fish at our markets are full of mercury, no one sells grass-fed healthy organ meats (the livers would be toxic waste dumps for the average animals).

All the realmilk.org website links to places in my state are well over 100 miles away and the best I can find is part ownership in a goat! Nagel suggests, "buy a cow or goat and milk your own"...I don't think my condo association would let me keep a cow in the courtyard!
We can't move, so I guess the best we can do is keep eating the butter oil and cod liver oil!
#10 of 22 Old 02-10-2008, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2bamommy2 View Post
Hi, folks are going to get tired of me touting Xylitol, but I can't help it.

I'm not, I think xylitol can be very helpful since it also can be a prebiotic and produce beneficial SCFA's in the gut. DS uses the infant tooth gel and his teeth look great despite all our health issues we've faced since his conception.

I just feel I don't know enough about it, do we have a "mother of all xylitol" threads around here?
#11 of 22 Old 02-11-2008, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecarma View Post
Yeah, I've been reading the Weston Price stuff and I bought the book by Rami Nagel, talking in detail about the diet. I'd love to find a place around here that sells grass-fed, unpasteurized anything! Fish at our markets are full of mercury, no one sells grass-fed healthy organ meats (the livers would be toxic waste dumps for the average animals).

All the realmilk.org website links to places in my state are well over 100 miles away and the best I can find is part ownership in a goat! Nagel suggests, "buy a cow or goat and milk your own"...I don't think my condo association would let me keep a cow in the courtyard!
We can't move, so I guess the best we can do is keep eating the butter oil and cod liver oil!
If you have a farmers market around, you can ask some of the vendors if they keep cows or goats, and maybe strike a deal with them? They might work with you.

Circ doesn't work! Stop the violence of circumcison. Had another UP/UC/HB in August!
#12 of 22 Old 02-11-2008, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2bamommy2 View Post
Hi, folks are going to get tired of me touting Xylitol, but I can't help it.

We use Spry [www.xlear.com] toothpaste, chewing gum, and RAIN Dry Mouth Spray; Zellies [www.zellies.com] toothpaste and chewing gum; Epic [www.epicdental.com] chewing gum. My mom found a new product called XyloBurst [100% Xylitol] on the web that offers free samples [http://www.xyloburst.com/xyloburst-xylitol-gum.html] they even pay shipping, so I asked if they'd send me some.
I'm not tired of it! I felt so inspired by your suggestions and your success story with Trenton. We are doing almost all of the same things here too (less the gum, my DS isn't ready to chew and spit yet). We also added Spiffies and hesitantly ordered the Tooth Mousse (my jury is still out on that one, but think I may try it anyway).

Also, overall nutrients in the diet are an integral part of tooth health. I would highly suggest reading this post about Curing Cavities with Nutrition. Some other MDC mommas were skeptical of some of the theories presented. I was not very skeptical and was overwhelmed with the amount of information that I was so uneducated about. I'd suggest reading it and decide for yourself! Good luck!

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=529174
#13 of 22 Old 03-01-2008, 10:22 PM

Use xylitol. You can get toothpaste, gel, rinse, a spray, chewing gum, candies, or just plain granular xylitol. My son, up until now has been using all these - or I've been using them on him. But now he is going through his "don't want it" phase.

However, my mom contacted zellies.com and xlear.com asking if we just brushed his teeth 3 times daily with the granular xylitol would this be enough to keep his teeth in strong, healthy condition. And the response was "YES!" Because 1 tsp granular xylitol = 4 grams. And according to all the hype, you have to use at least 6 grams of xylitol daily for it to be of use.

So I brush my son's teeth in the morning and my mom does it afternoon and just before bed at night. [1 tsp xylitol to 1 cap of water or a 1TBSP, use with a brush or a baby face cloth] Plus we also use SPRY spray RAIN throughout the day to keep the ph in his mouth neutral.

In so far as nutrition is concerned, if you can afford all that Dr. Price advises, go for it - but it also might take a bit of time to see any lasting effects; whereas in 5 weeks, we could see a positive turn-around in my son's teeth.

Then my mom talked me in to trying xylitol as well, and at my check-up a month ago the dentist and hygienist were very pleased. I went from having nearly all my teeth cleaned all the times before to only one that needed attention. And I am particular about brushing and flossing 2 to 3 times daily. Now I brush all the time with xylitol toothpaste and chew the gum!

Xylitol works.
#14 of 22 Old 03-04-2008, 03:23 PM

luv2bamommy2: Where do you get your granular xylitol? I haven't seen it yet-or at least I didn't notice it. Is it with the other xylitol dental products in a store?

Mama to two kiddos on the go!
#15 of 22 Old 03-04-2008, 08:01 PM

I use granular xylitol too. I bought it in my local health food store. A box of small packets (like sweet n low) for like $6 or so. I like these, as I can open a packet every other day, and always have fresh. I sprinkle it on top of her oravive.
#16 of 22 Old 03-09-2008, 01:18 AM

Does it sound like a good idea if I just dip my 6 yo dd's electric toothbrush head into xylitol granuals for her to brush with? I bet we could get a tsp a day in her this way, and right on the teeth. tooth.

She frequently wants to brush without toothpaste because she hates having to spit and has to brush lots of times a day due to frequent snacking...
#17 of 22 Old 03-13-2008, 02:17 AM

I think that WAP-style dietary changes are tried and true...I personally know people who have had great results. Xylitol is also tried and true - peer-reviewed research studies have shown that it slows decay and also promotes formation of secondary dentin, which can be almost as hard as enamel. We are also using a small amount of MI Paste - a professional remineralizing paste containing a proprietary ingredient called Recaldent, which has also been proved to help with remineralizing. It does have some not-so-great ingredients, but we only use a small amount - we apply it with a qtip to dd's upper teeth while she is sleeping once a day. My concern with using xylitol granules for teeth-brushing is that they might be somewhat abrasive...We tried "Tooth Soap" and dd absolutely hated it. Since tooth brushing is a very unpleasant, forced procedure around here, I just can't do that to her and I will be ordering Spry Infant Tooth Gel.

sharing life with | 9.5 yo ds | 7 yo dd | love of my life new husband

#18 of 22 Old 03-28-2008, 03:06 PM

My dd and I have been taking Cod Liver Oil and X Factor daily, plus drinking chicken broth and eating Coconut Oil as much as possible, for about 2 years now. A few weeks after starting, my teeth became as hard as glass, and smooth. I could no longer move my teeth in my gums. Lots of other great health changes came about as well, but my teeth were one of the first changes I noticed.

My dd was born with a few brown spots on her teeth that the dentist attributed to malnutrition (she had many food allergies we didn't know about). She just went in for her second dental checkup and she did wonderfully. Her first checkup there were several areas of concern, no cavities yet, but it didn't look good. Since then I have added digestive enzymes to help with her food allergies and now finally the homemade yogurt, cod liver oil, x factor, and broth are healing her teeth. The brown spots are still there but they are faint now, not noticeable anymore. She did not have any 'areas of concern' this time! Her arch is good, as well as the spacing between her teeth. All of this is great news because I've always had terrible teeth (I have fillings on nearly all my teeth).

I can only attribute this turn around to the nutritional changes we've made.

To those who have a hard time believing this, I highly recommend reading Weston Price's Nutrition and Physical Degeneration. There is no way anyone could be skeptical after reading story and story of how so many cultures had zero cavities due to their superior nutrition. It is a very eye opening and convincing read, even for skepticals like myself. You can also check out more testimonials on the Traditional Foods forum.
#19 of 22 Old 03-28-2008, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildflower View Post
Does it sound like a good idea if I just dip my 6 yo dd's electric toothbrush head into xylitol granuals for her to brush with? I bet we could get a tsp a day in her this way, and right on the teeth. tooth.

She frequently wants to brush without toothpaste because she hates having to spit and has to brush lots of times a day due to frequent snacking...
The xylitol granules don't dissolve very easily and I'm concerned about them being excessively abrasive so we have decided to use the Spry Infant Tooth Gel instead.

sharing life with | 9.5 yo ds | 7 yo dd | love of my life new husband

#20 of 22 Old 03-28-2008, 03:19 PM

You know, I just dissolved it in an equal amount (heated) water and she is brushing or rinsing w/it.
#21 of 22 Old 04-23-2008, 02:04 PM

I'm so glad that I saw this thread. I just read about xylitol for the first time recently, so I started looking into it. I just ordered the Spry infant tooth gel, toothpaste and the gum. I'm curious... do those of you who use the toothpaste use the one w/fluoride or without?
#22 of 22 Old 04-24-2008, 12:41 AM

SmartSweet also makes powdered xylitol. I'm going to order some today actually. I think that would be less abrasive.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page