Scared of wisdom tooth extraction - tell me it won't be so bad PLEASE!!! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 02-15-2008, 02:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have severly crowded crooked UGLY teeth. I hate them. And they are getting more crooked by the minute. I have finally decided now is the time to get braces because I know if I don't do it now I won't do it.
So, I saw the orthodontist and he is sending me to an oral surgeon to have 5 teeth pulled. I have a mouth the size of a child (~7 year old) and fullsize large adult teeth so they have to pull some. Coming out are: One upper wisdom tooth which is in kind of sideways and is pushing all my other teeth all crazy (it also has a cavity in it). Both bottom wisdom teeth which are impacted and only partially out (a "walking time bomb for infection" apparently). And 2 bottom bicuspids to relieve the crowding issue. 5 teeth - UGH!!! I am counting in my head and 2-3 needles per tooth makes 10-15 needles!!! I don't think I can mentally handle that.
Please share your experiences with me. I am so sick just thinking about it. I HATE the needles (who doesn't?) and have had adult molars pulled when I was a kid (trying to avoid the crowding issues I STILL have) and I remember the sickening yanking (it still makes me sick to think about 20 years later). And two of the wisdom teeth are half buried. I am wanting the sedation, but I know there are risks with it. I would like to do it without the sedation, but I am sooooo apprehensive about it. Please convince me it isn't so bad. Anything I can do to make the experience less horrible? I found a non-natural forum where someone asked and there were a lot of horror stories on it that have only freaked me out more.
If you had your wisdom teeth pulled did you just go with the local freezing? Be honest - how bad was it??
#2 of 16 Old 02-15-2008, 02:19 PM

Honestly, I was scared to death... I paid for anethesia out of pocket, and I'd do the same all over again.

Good luck!!
#3 of 16 Old 02-15-2008, 02:39 PM

Hey from across the bay. I am having my wisdom teeth out in March. It was supposed to be last month, but I had a cold.

I'm kinda scared too, but I am sure it will be fine.

I am choosing the light sedation because I won't feel or remember anything, but without the risks of general anesthesia. I've had ga for surgery and I hated it.

Jam 7, Peanut Butter 5, and Bread 2.

#4 of 16 Old 02-15-2008, 02:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_lissa View Post
Hey from across the bay. I am having my wisdom teeth out in March. It was supposed to be last month, but I had a cold.

I'm kinda scared too, but I am sure it will be fine.

I am choosing the light sedation because I won't feel or remember anything, but without the risks of general anesthesia. I've had ga for surgery and I hated it.
I haven't had my consult yet - tell me about light sedation please! I have never had any sedation or surgery so I am extra freaked out!

I feel like a big wuss because all the internet sites about wisdom teeth say most people just get local freezing and the sedation is just used for anxiety for those who really need it.
#5 of 16 Old 02-15-2008, 02:53 PM

It's meds they put in an i.v. (I have teh actual drug names written down somewhere). It makes you completely out of it even though you are technically awake.

It is faster to come out of than GA and has less risks.

#6 of 16 Old 02-15-2008, 04:24 PM

I had my wisdom teeth out w/only novacaine and it wasn't bad at all. I mean, it wasn't fun and games that I'd love to do over and over, but it was relatively quick and easy. the worst part of the whole thing was a canker sore I got from the 1 stitch they had to put in. I had it done on a Friday, back at work on monday.

Michelle -mom to Katlyn 4/00 , Jake 3/02, and Seth 5/04
#7 of 16 Old 02-15-2008, 04:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelbean91 View Post
I had my wisdom teeth out w/only novacaine and it wasn't bad at all. I mean, it wasn't fun and games that I'd love to do over and over, but it was relatively quick and easy. the worst part of the whole thing was a canker sore I got from the 1 stitch they had to put in. I had it done on a Friday, back at work on monday.

I have two young kids. I am going to ask my mom to come down to help me with them while DH is at work. How long will I need help??
#8 of 16 Old 02-15-2008, 10:39 PM

I had mine out in high school, so I'm trying to look back ten years and remember. It was honestly not as bad as I'd psyched myself up for. I spent about two days in a bit of pain, but they'll of course give you pain killers, and I remember sending my boyfriend at the time out for lots of KFC (ick!) mashed potatoes and mac & cheese.

I'd plan on 2-3 days of taking it easy (and you may be loopy because of the medication, so having your mom there is definitely a good idea) and not eating much but super soft foods, smoothies & milkshakes. Eating kiefer & yogurt along with probiotics when you come off the antibiotics and attempting to keep up a healthy food intake to support your body (don't follow my example ) are important too. It's tricky when there's not much you can eat, but if your mom can make you a smoothie with anything good she can cram in, that's a good start.

Good luck!

Mama to our nose-in-a-book Autumn (6) & our old soul Molly (4)
Imaginative, fun jewelry & photography Shenandoah Sunshine
#9 of 16 Old 02-15-2008, 10:50 PM

I didn't have kids at the time, but I did a fair amount of lying around for a day or so. I ate regular food (carefully) the same night I had it done, but I had them out 2 at a time- left side first, then the right side.

Michelle -mom to Katlyn 4/00 , Jake 3/02, and Seth 5/04
#10 of 16 Old 02-18-2008, 12:48 PM

I went to a maxofacial (sp?) surgeon. They put me out, and I was that evening yelling at the front of the Take Back The Night march. Little bruising, few problems.
#11 of 16 Old 02-21-2008, 01:26 AM

I was sedated. Arrived, had a needle and woke up on the couch at home several hours later.

It did hurt a lot. I took vicodin for over a week. But I did not have to live through the pulling/cutting, and that is PRICELESS.
#12 of 16 Old 02-21-2008, 04:54 PM

I had two wisdom teeth removed with a regular shot. During the same appointment I had two other teeth filled (I had a problem setting up appointments - small kids at home, no babysitter etc etc, and I was pregnant and had to do it before the new baby came - so I had all those procedures done at once). THe other teeth were filled without any shots - my dentists didn't want to give me more than two shots in one appmt. So, I din't feel anything with wisdom teeth, but the teeth drilled and filled without anesthesia - ouch!

After the shot wore off, it felt like after any dental procedure - the mouth was a little bit sore, but I was fine. So, if you knwo how it feels to have other dental work done, I don't see the reason why pulling wisdom teeth with a local anesthetic shot should be more painful. If anything, it is much faster - no drilling and filling.

Good luck!
#13 of 16 Old 02-21-2008, 04:59 PM

It really depends on the teeth if it is a simple or a surgical extraction. My partner's wisdom teeth were erupted and were no problem to extract. Mine will require a surgical extraction. They are impacted, not erupted, may require some bone tissue removal, etc.

#14 of 16 Old 02-21-2008, 05:10 PM

Please don't be scared! I was you last September.....freaking out, the needles for me are the grossest and scariest part.

I freaked out, and continued freaking out till my appointment and it was all for nothing.

Have your dentist give you something that calms you for anxiety BEFORE you go to your appointment. That will allow you to relax and stop dreading needles and stuff.

I took one Ativan, and had no sedation and got my wisdom teeth removed. It took hardly any time at all. The needles aren't fun, but they sting more than hurt. Once you get the first shot you mellow out because it truly is not that bad.

The worst part is the anxiety BEFORE anything happens just remember that.

I didn't take any pain meds after, and had no problems. You will be sore, the impacted ones will be the most sore, the rest you probably won't even feel afterwards at all.

It's ok! You will be fine. Seriously, I have the BIGGEST needle phobia, and it truly no lie is not that bad at all.

#15 of 16 Old 02-22-2008, 09:12 PM

It took a while b/c my root was curved but it wasn't a problem.

Healed very well w/o antibiotics... took enzymes and olive leaf extract, would highly recommend that. Also gargled with sea salt water alternating with H2O2.
#16 of 16 Old 02-25-2008, 04:29 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
I had 4 impacted wisdom teeth removed at once using the antethsia so I have a good idea about how you will probably feel. I chose anestesia because I hate novacane and won't use it for dental work. Afterward I felt a little nausea because I had swallowed some blood but I wasn't in any pain. I was eating normally in a day or two. I think I did softer foods the first day or two. I never even took any painkillers.

My advice is to plan it for when you don't have to be anywhere. I remember my cheeks swelled up like a chipmonk for a few days.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page