Help! I need to have an amalgam filling replace, and I'm nursing! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 03-05-2008, 04:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
One of my molars has an amalgam filling in it that's leaking. My dentist (who is supposed to be holistic) says I need to get it out right away. She didn't seem concerned by the nursing. She said that they take all of the recommended precautions. I have to drink something beforehand that coats my stomach, and they use the dam and everything else. She did say that they recommend you pump right after and discard the milk in case any toxins were released. I have it scheduled for next Wednesday.

Now I take a look around here, and I'm completely freaked out. My dd is 7 1/2 months and is exclusively breastfeed. She's never had a bottle, and very little solids. My 2 year old also still nurses every day. I'm not sure what to do. This filling needs to come out, it can't be delayed until after she's done nursing. What should I do? Any guidance would be appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 03-21-2008, 09:52 PM

Just curious what you decided on and how it went. I am in the same boat but I have 3 that need work and they want me in asap.
#3 of 6 Old 03-22-2008, 07:22 PM

Oh my! I just posted the SAME question in the breastfeeding thread... waiting to see comments.
#4 of 6 Old 03-26-2008, 01:45 PM

I have the same question too...
#5 of 6 Old 03-27-2008, 01:54 AM

Same here. I just do not think I can wait much longer to get this filling out.
#6 of 6 Old 04-08-2008, 10:28 PM

Wow, there's a regular tribe of us with this problem. My (holistic) dentist said it would be okay to wait on mine, but then I had a consult with a lady in the office who helps you plot out your treatment and she said they should come out right away. Also, one of them has a cavity by it, so that one needs to be dealt with immediately anyway.

She also said it would be best if I could go 20 hours without nursing, and that I pump to give him milk and then pump out the milk after the procedure, just in case I take in any mercury. I have a 20 month old, and pumping is just not a part of our lives at this point, plus my pump is crap, so I don't know that I could even get anything out that way. Ds nurses A LOT, but it's for comfort, so a bottle or goat's milk isn't going to do it -- I'd basically have a screaming horror show on my hands if I tried not to nurse for that long. She also said they'd like to have me to a 3 hour Vitamin C IV to detox, even though they take good precautions. My hangup here is my aversion to needles. I can get through a quick shot or blood draw, but 3 hours with an IV will certainly result in a major panic attack.

Anyway, it all just sounds like a huge mess to deal with, and I'm on the verge of burying my head in the sand on the whole thing. Neither ds or I are showing any ill effects from my leaking filling. I don't know. They just don't really get what it is to have a toddler nursing. My holistic dentist was all shocked that he's still nursing.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page