MI Paste Ingredients - Would you use this stuff? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 03-20-2008, 05:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
I’ve been using MI Paste for my 12 mo dd for about 1.5 months now and it appears to have slowed or halted her decay (looks like brown chips out of ends of top front teeth, that extends higher up the back side of the teeth. Gumline on the front side is looking okay. I also believe she may have an enamel defect from a high fever in pregnancy 3rd trimester). I’ve had recommendations for MI Paste from dental professionals as well as MDC Mamas success stories – so it does appear to be very effective. HOWEVER, I had a closer look at the ingredients, which are as follows

Pure water
Glycerol
CPP-ACP (Casein phosphopeptide – Amorphous Calcium Phosphate. Aka “Recaldent”)
D-sorbitol
CMC-NA (no idea what this is!)
Propylene Glycol (isn’t that antifreeze?!!???)
Silicon dioxide
Titanium dioxide
Xylitol
Phosphoric acid
Flavouring (no idea what that’s supposed to mean)
Zinc oxide
Sodium saccharin
Ethyl p-hydroxybenzoate
Magnesium oxide
Guar gum
Propyl p-hydroxybenzoate
Butyl p-hydrobenzoate

:

I’ve also been lurking on the curing cavities with nutrition discussions and believe nutrition is, of course, very important. We can’t get raw dairy in our area other than cheese made with unpasteurized milk (Jerseyland organics – Gouda), nor can I find butter oil or cod liver oil that hasn’t been processed with vitamins re-added. (if anyone knows how to get it by mail in Canada pls. let me know!) However, I’m not convinced that nutrition ALONE will solve our dental problems anyway.

Also heard xylitol is a proven PREVENTATIVE product, but not sure how it works once you have cavities.

So – the MI paste scares me, but so does the prospect of dd’s teeth rotting off, causing her pain and needing dental work (which carries risk in and of itself too).

How do you balance those risks?

Would you continue using the MI Paste (it does seem effective)? Why or why not? If not, then what would you do?
I’m especially grateful for any references to research, or personal success stories in actually halting/healing cavities.

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 03-20-2008, 06:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Mama to two kiddos on the go!
#3 of 5 Old 03-22-2008, 02:26 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We are using MI paste and consider the risks worth the benefits in our case. Dd has early childhood caries. We apply it daily with a qtip while she is sleeping - a very small quantity. I don't love the ingredients, but I personally know people who believe that it has really helped.

I highly recommend using xylitol products too - Spiffies mouth wipes might be good for your situation. Once you have cavities, xylitol helps to prevent the further spread by killing bacteria and preventing adhesion to teeth. It also creates a more alkaline mouth environment, which facilitates remineralization. It seems to operate via several mechanisms. Studies in older children have demonstrated that it helps with the formation of hard secondary dentin in cavities where the enamel is completely gone - effectively "healing" the cavity:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9...ubmed_RVDocSum

We get our CLO from a Canadian online store - this is my thread about it.

Your breastmilk is raw milk

You can order butter oil here:
http://www.familyherbalclinic.com/

ECC is awful.

sharing life with | 10 yo ds | 8 yo dd | dh (since 2012)
"I am not what happened to me...I am what I choose to become." ~ Carl Jung
#4 of 5 Old 03-22-2008, 08:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Ksenia - thx so much for such a thoughtful and helpful reply (I love links!) I'm sure others reading appreciate it too. Good reminder too that my milk is raw dairy!

Just wondered if you can get xylitol products in Canada...or if not, if it's straightforward getting them from USA?
#5 of 5 Old 03-23-2008, 12:56 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dot1 View Post
Just wondered if you can get xylitol products in Canada...or if not, if it's straightforward getting them from USA?
copying my post over from another thread:
Quote:
For use in dental care, studies usually recommend quite frequent use - i.e. 5 grams per day and five times per day, which would work out to 10 Spry mints per day. You can order them from aviva.ca: page 1 and page 2 and page 3 - look for Spry, Xlear, or Xylichew products. The shipping is about $9.

The most economical option is to buy Spry 100 pk gum or Spry 240 pk mints. For the latter, one pack would last 24 days per child if he is taking 10 per day. My kids like the fruit, berry, and mint flavours. You can use gum but dentists don't recommend overdoing that option for jaw health so you might want to try both. The cheapest way to buy xylitol is in granular form that looks like sugar - but it needs to be delivered in a way that it stays in the mouth for as long as possible, which is why gum and sucking the mints works best. Sweet Cherubim (on Commercial) has small blister paks of the xylichew products if you want to taste test those ones, but I don't think that they come in econopaks.
I recently ordered Spry Infant Tooth Gel from the US-based dentist.net. Ordering seemed straightforward. Don't know if there will be border charges.

sharing life with | 10 yo ds | 8 yo dd | dh (since 2012)
"I am not what happened to me...I am what I choose to become." ~ Carl Jung

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page