Is scaling necessary for gums... can it do harm? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 03-29-2008, 05:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok so I have some receeding gums. Front teeth a bit loose.

No redness/swelling/pus.

Dentist did not say gum disease, but wants to scale them.

Thoughts?

Resistance is futile Matey
#2 of 9 Old 03-31-2008, 10:27 PM

i have the same question, the dentist wants to do a deep cleaning. And I DON"T WANT ONE!! Looking into xylitol. I used to brush with baking soda and salt, and I decided to use regular Tom's of Marines w/ floride and now, my teeth/gums are in bad shape!!

Grace, happily married DH. Nathan h20homebirth.gif12.22.10 familybed1.gif  novaxnocirc.gif
#3 of 9 Old 04-21-2008, 06:41 PM - Thread Starter

Anyone else?

Resistance is futile Matey
#4 of 9 Old 04-22-2008, 12:44 PM

I've read that scaling can be damaging to teeth, but can't remember where. I've also read that hydrogen peroxide and baking soda are damaging to gums. Vitamin C is supposed to help gum health and to reduce plaque levels, even when brushing is adequate.

sharing life with | 9.5 yo ds | 7 yo dd | love of my life new husband

#5 of 9 Old 04-22-2008, 04:10 PM

Scaling is just a deep cleaning, including under the gums. It gets rid of plaque and the germs that are causing your periodontal disease.

Periodontal disease does not produce symptoms like swelling, pain, or pus. Your gums recede, your teeth get loose, and eventually they fall out if you don't get treatment.

Brushing with abrasive stuff like baking soda and salt will mess up your mouth, IMHO. Use the softest toothbrush possible, a bit of toothpaste, and brush as gently as you can for 2 minutes. Fluoride is not going to destroy your gums, but brushing with salt definitely could.

A writer/runner/thinker/wife with two daughters (11/02 and 8/05), one dog, three cats, seven fish, and a partridge in a pear tree... in Vermont.
#6 of 9 Old 04-30-2008, 05:05 AM

I have had a deep cleaning, and it helped my gum disease (I have peridontal disease). Also, though, I bought a ViaJet, which is like a WaterPik only stronger with better tips for gums. And I used sodium ascorbate (buffered vitamin C) to help with strengthening my gums, both as a tooth brusing aid and internally.

Fluoride may not destroy your gums, but it can weaken your bones and teeth if you get too much. If baking soda and salt are so bad, then why is it the two sisters who wrote "Having Our Say" who lived past 100, one of whom was a dentist, used them with no problems?

Jen 47 DS C 2/03  angel.gif04/29/08/ DD S 10/28/09 DH Bill '97.

mighty-mama and her sister Kundalini-Mamacandle.gif

#7 of 9 Old 05-02-2008, 01:54 PM

I had scaling done less than two years ago, I don't think it hurt my teeth. Good luck!

~Rose~ 

Homeschooling Mom to Two Boys, 13 & 9. rainbow1284.gif Baby Girl Arriving April 2013!

#8 of 9 Old 05-02-2008, 10:09 PM

Just wanted to let you know that if anyone has any questions about dental, I would be happy to answer what I can. I am a dental hygienist, or was before I had my baby 5 months ago. I really miss helping people treat and maintain their gingiva and teeth. Would be happy to help.
#9 of 9 Old 05-16-2008, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy926 View Post
Scaling is just a deep cleaning, including under the gums. It gets rid of plaque and the germs that are causing your periodontal disease.

Periodontal disease does not produce symptoms like swelling, pain, or pus. Your gums recede, your teeth get loose, and eventually they fall out if you don't get treatment.

Brushing with abrasive stuff like baking soda and salt will mess up your mouth, IMHO. Use the softest toothbrush possible, a bit of toothpaste, and brush as gently as you can for 2 minutes. Fluoride is not going to destroy your gums, but brushing with salt definitely could.
right on (i'm a periodontist)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page