Homemade Toothpaste (where to buy xylitol?) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 04-18-2008, 05:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've started making our own toothpaste (DS has a cavity and I'm trying to treat it at home until I can take him to the dentist).

The recipe I have is 3 parts baking soda, 1 part salt and enough hydrogen peroxide to make into a paste. I tried it and it feels like it works good but DS hates the taste. I added a couple of drops of peppermint oil, which helped, and I'm thinking that I can substite the salt for xylitol (which I wanted to start using on his teeth anyhow).

I went to Whole Foods and they said they didn't carry granular xylitol. I also checked at Smiths in their sweeteners section and didn't see any. Is this a buy over the internet thing? Which site/brand do you use? Also, I was told it comes from China... is there any that is produced in the U.S.?

Any thoughts or advice on the homemade toothpaste?

Thanks
#2 of 8 Old 04-18-2008, 05:55 PM

You should be able to find it at a lot of places over the internet, like amazon.com

I wouldn't use baking soda and peroxide on your son's teeth though. http://askdrellie.blogspot.com/searc.../baking%20soda

Baking soda and salt are very abrasive.

Is there a reason why you don't want to use toothpaste? You can find toothpaste that has xylitol and no fluoride in it if you are concerned about fluoride. (Spry, Epic Dental, probably more too)

I think some people just dip their brush into granular xylitol and brush with that.

I know China is a big xylitol producer. I know Epic uses Chinese xylitol. Not sure about other places.
#3 of 8 Old 04-18-2008, 06:19 PM - Thread Starter

I've read that the glycerine in toothpaste coats teeth and prevents remineralization. I checked all the toothpastes at whole foods and didn't see any that had xylitol and didn't have glycerine.

I'll read that link... thanks!
#4 of 8 Old 04-19-2008, 06:57 PM - Thread Starter

okay... so no to baking soda and hydrogen peroxide. what do y'all think about using a little dr. bronners (the peppermint one) and mixing it w/ xylitol?
#5 of 8 Old 04-20-2008, 02:56 AM

Hi, my son, now almost 3, would not let my mom or me use anything with mint in it...he said it was too hot. So for awhile all we used was straight Xylitol granules, 1 tsp=4 grams + about 1 TBSP water rinsed it on his teeth 2 to 3 times daily.

Then my mom bought a tube of Tom's of Maine children's fluoride-free strawberry toothpaste, dip it in the tsp of Xylitol, brush Trenton's teeth and rub the rest [with water in it] of it over his teeth when we were through brushing.

It works great. No more protesting, it is 100% accepted.
#6 of 8 Old 04-20-2008, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delfuego View Post
okay... so no to baking soda and hydrogen peroxide. what do y'all think about using a little dr. bronners (the peppermint one) and mixing it w/ xylitol?
I think it's fine to use Dr. Bronner's but whether your son will like it is another question. I've brushed my teeth with Dr. B's a few times. The first time I used too much and foamed up at the mouth like a rabid dog. Even when I used less, I still had to keep my tongue out of the way and concentrate on not tasting it. I just don't care for it.

Personally, if you're concerned about toothpaste, I would go with what the PP suggested, just using xylitol plus water. Or get Spry Infant Toothgel, that has xylitol and no glycerine. http://www.dentist.net/spry-infant-tooth-gel.asp
#7 of 8 Old 04-20-2008, 05:34 PM - Thread Starter

Good advice... thanks. We've been using Tom's of Maine flouride free strawberry since he got teeth. I've used the fennel one myself for years. But, since i read about glycerine, we've laid off the toothpaste and have just been using the toothbrush (i put a little peppermint oil on mine). My teeth feel cleaner and i don't get the plaque build up during the day like i used to.

I'll try just the xylitol w/ water for now, as soon as i get some. That tooth gel looks good but it seems that the active ingredients are just xylitol and water anyhow... so it would probably be cheaper just to buy the ingredients!

Would the granules be hard on enamel? Should i go w/ the powdered xylitol?
#8 of 8 Old 04-21-2008, 01:33 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
SmartSweet is a non-GMO non-MIC brand of xylitol. Spry Infant Tooth Gel has no glycerin and is xylitol-based - you can order it from dentist.net. The claim that glycerin prevents remineralization seems to be purely anecdotal/theoretical - I have not seen any studies that support this claim. I bought a generic brand of xylitol from a local health food store. I would not use baking powder or hydrogen peroxide on a child's teeth. Keep in mind that drugstore hydrogen peroxide is not even food grade.

sharing life with | 10 yo ds | 8 yo dd | dh (since 2012)
"I am not what happened to me...I am what I choose to become." ~ Carl Jung

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page