My jaw won't open all the way - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 04-19-2008, 03:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
HI my jaw got stuck about 2 months ago. I am not able to open it all the way. I am a 28 yr old full time student,self employed and I don't have health insurance so I've been doing as much as I can on my own and with therapists I know who do trades/ or partial trade and pay. I have been to a cranio sacralist for 8 sessions now over the past 6 weeks or so. I'm still not able to open my jaw all the way, I'm starting to get desperate to have it heal. I didn't have an accident, but I wonder if it is from clenching my teeth at night? I don't know if I do, but I know I don't grind them. I've researched about it and have been approaching it from many different angles. I had an appt scheduled with a Physical Therapy office that is reknowned for jaw specialization, however, I had to cancel because the man was very strange and rude who scheduled my appt. They kind of have a reputation for being good with jaws but very difficult to work with. It just made me very uncomfortable and it made me feel upset (especially considering I didn't know where else to turn at the time).
Going to the dentist is not an option or and orthodontist as I have called them and they charge thousands of dollars for treatment.Is there anybody who has had this same condition? Can anybody help? Thank you so much!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 04-22-2008, 03:30 PM

Have you looked into TMJ?? Have you tried a bite gaurd at night? I had the problem of my jaw becoming stiff and achy and I couldn't get more than an inch between my teeth and that was shrinking, and I went into the dentist and a doctor and they both said TMJ and asked if I clench/grind at night. I had no idea, but I tried the bite gaurd (12 bucks at drug store) and felt better the next morning. I can't sleep without it now. Still have TMJ symptoms, clicking, dislocation, etc. but the stiffness is gone.

Try it?? It won't hurt, though it takes getting used to and I spit it out a couple times at first but now I don't...
#3 of 3 Old 04-29-2008, 01:04 AM

I highly suggest magnesium (Natural Calm is a good brand), and I have heard there is a link between Zinc deficiency and clenching. I have tmj and the magnesium gives me relief and looking into the zinc to stop night clenching. I clinch so bad the whole underneath of my tongue area is covered in bone growth.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page