3 year old, 3 cavities...they want to use the papoose. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 33 Old 05-20-2008, 01:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't know what to do. We just got back from the ped. dentist. He has 3 cavities. He was really hysterical during the exam, kicking, crying, etc. I couldn't really hold him that well. She suggested that she would have to use the papoose board for his 3 cavities, and she only wants to do one at a time, meaning that we go back 3 separate times. I don't know what to do!!!!!!!!! Do I do it? My gut is against it, but I won't put him under general anesthesia. Please tell me your stories. I'm a mess today over it.

: Mama to ds (5) and dd (3) and .
#2 of 33 Old 05-20-2008, 03:40 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
very stressful. Unless your child is in pain, take your time and find the right dental practice. A good dentist can really work with children and gain their confidence and make it fun. Look in your local MDC find your tribe thread and ask for advice on dentists. We've found 2 great practices within an hour's drive of our home. These people are incredible with kids - it can be done!!

JMHO, but with my kids I'd be more worried about the psychological scars of having dental work done against their will than I would be about the physical risks of GA, but that's a really personal judgement call :

There is also lots of alternative stuff that can be done to remineralize cavities, but be warned that serious commitment is required - for research and follow-through. Check out the threads in this forum.

good luck

sharing life with | 10 yo ds | 8 yo dd | dh (since 2012)
"I am not what happened to me...I am what I choose to become." ~ Carl Jung
#3 of 33 Old 05-20-2008, 07:18 PM

I agree with the pp--take the time to find a good dentist that you're comfortable with.

My dd recently had a whole mess of cavities fixed (she's 4.5). When we first took her to the dentist when she was 3.5, she refused to open her mouth at all. The dentist had to just take a quick look when she was crying. Her advice was to put dd under general anesthesia to do the work, but she also said that if we wanted to wait 6 months, that would be okay too (dd was not in pain). So we waited 6 months and what do you know, she opened right up! In that short period of time, she had matured enough that she was able to sit patiently through an exam and, consequently, the dentist felt comfortable with just using a mild sedative to do the work.

So, I guess I'm saying it might be worth it to take a wait and see approach, if your child is not in pain. But, do find a good dentist in the meantime. It will make all the difference.

Good luck and hugs to you. I know how difficult this is...

peace, Beth
#4 of 33 Old 05-20-2008, 07:19 PM

also...

I'd like to add that when we took dd back, I had my dh take her. I was so crazy nervous, I felt like she would sense that. My husband was a very calming influence on her. Having someone who is not so emotionally involved take your child could help.

peace, Beth
#5 of 33 Old 05-20-2008, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth-TX View Post
also...

I'd like to add that when we took dd back, I had my dh take her. I was so crazy nervous, I felt like she would sense that. My husband was a very calming influence on her. Having someone who is not so emotionally involved take your child could help.

peace, Beth
That is a great point! I get really stressed out about stuff whereas my DH doesn't. I still make him take our almost 10 yo DD certain places because she just doesn't get as upset with him as she does with me.
#6 of 33 Old 05-21-2008, 01:16 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much. I can't let them use a papoose board, but I'm scared to let them use GA or a sedative. I need to find another doctor who doesn't just restrain their patients, and actually works with them. I wish dh could bring him, but he's worse than me. My mom would be okay, but I don't trust her, she wanted me to let them use the board to being with. Thank you again.

#7 of 33 Old 05-21-2008, 03:40 PM

Awww poor baby. My son's teeth came in half rotten to begin with, two teeth grew in the place of one and it was rotting from the start. My son did not like the exam and the dentist wanted to do very invasive things. My son's teeth are in bad shape but he is not in pain so like others I am waiting for him to be able to sit on his own to have the work done.

I am interested in knowing how I could make all of our teeth stronger. Bad/weak teeth seem to run in the family.

flower.gif Amanda flower.gif

Conservative, Christian, and Crunchy!

Wife of T, Mom of Z18, E15, M14, and D10.

Praying for a Reversal Blessing! 

#8 of 33 Old 05-21-2008, 10:52 PM

What kind of "mild sedative" are dentists using on kids? My 5 year old gets "laughing gas" (nitrous oxide) with each inbetween the molars filling. Are there other calming options? Which are less harmful than others?
#9 of 33 Old 05-22-2008, 11:12 PM

I would not let my kid be strapped down. Period. It was done to me a kid and I've had a fear of dentists my whole life as a result.
#10 of 33 Old 05-23-2008, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arduinna View Post
I would not let my kid be strapped down. Period. It was done to me a kid and I've had a fear of dentists my whole life as a result.

I agree. My very high strung son had a lot of dental work done last summer and that was the one thing I said absoloutely no to. They did it under conscious sedation for him, but i don't know if they can do it as your as 3 (ds was 6). They did it all at once, too - there's no way I'd let them do three separate appointments just to fill a few cavities. They did an extraction/spacer, a cap, and about 6 cavities all in one shot with him. They originally planned two appointments, but when they saw how hard it was on him to even drink the sedative, they did it all in one shot.

I just found out today that my two year old is going to have some work done. The cavities are deep, and they think he's too young for sedation, so they are doing GA. I'm concerned about it, but I really think it's the only way to get it done without tying him down - and they said that at his age and maturity they think he just doesn't have the ability to be cooperative - fear would take over and even being restrained wouldn't help.
#11 of 33 Old 05-23-2008, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marni View Post
What kind of "mild sedative" are dentists using on kids? My 5 year old gets "laughing gas" (nitrous oxide) with each inbetween the molars filling. Are there other calming options? Which are less harmful than others?
I can't remember the name of the sedative they gave my son. It was something mixed in with juice. It made him a little drunkish and very compliant (which is the complete opposite of my son's personality.). They also gave him nitrous and local anesthetic.
#12 of 33 Old 05-23-2008, 06:08 PM

I did not know what a papoose board was until I just googled. All I can say is ONLY IN AN EXTREME EMERGENCY. I would choose a sedative over that. But, as PP's have said, it may not even take that - just a little time and a well-planned visit with a very child-friendly dentist may do the trick.

eta: I just want to add that I just read a couple of articles, and I can see where this tool may be needed (and/or better than being held by people) in very special cases and medical needs that are not emergency, but very necessary.

DS 12/22/05 and DD 5/24/09
#13 of 33 Old 05-23-2008, 10:45 PM

I wouldn't use the papoose, but I wouldn't ignore cavities, either. I don't know how big they are, but they can also turn into a painful nightmare that you don't want your baby going through and at that point, they are harder to anesthetize, harder to treat. The earlier you can treat small cavities, the more predictable and easy it is. I'd try another dentist and ask for alternatives like nitrous. Cavities that already have actual HOLES won't get better by waiting.
#14 of 33 Old 05-24-2008, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipse View Post
I can't remember the name of the sedative they gave my son. It was something mixed in with juice. It made him a little drunkish and very compliant (which is the complete opposite of my son's personality.). They also gave him nitrous and local anesthetic.
Would you be able to find out the name of what they gave him for me?? TIA! This may be our ticket to treating him. Was it Versed?

#15 of 33 Old 05-24-2008, 12:51 PM

I think it was Versed, now that you mention it. I can check with the dentist's office next week to find out, since i have to call them to talk about the work than needs to be done on my 2 year old.
#16 of 33 Old 05-25-2008, 08:49 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks!

#17 of 33 Old 05-28-2008, 12:17 AM

Yuk. Don't do it. Heal him with nutrition. www.curetoothdecay.com

#18 of 33 Old 08-12-2008, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Calla~ View Post
I don't know what to do. We just got back from the ped. dentist. He has 3 cavities. He was really hysterical during the exam, kicking, crying, etc. I couldn't really hold him that well. She suggested that she would have to use the papoose board for his 3 cavities, and she only wants to do one at a time, meaning that we go back 3 separate times. I don't know what to do!!!!!!!!! Do I do it? My gut is against it, but I won't put him under general anesthesia. Please tell me your stories. I'm a mess today over it.
Hello there. I totally understand where you are coming from and your concerns. I thought I would offer a reply. I do not know if you had treatment on your child as of yet. But I like to discuss the papoose board.

The papoose board is a behavior management tool that can help deliver safe and effective treatment for your child. You stated in your opening post that he was really hysterical, kicking, and crying at the exam visit. This outright eliminates the use of nitrous oxide. The child simply will not allow a nose piece on him if he will not sit for an exam. You also stated you are against general anesthesia. So that option is out. It sounds like this child will need oral sedation at the minimum. Even with oral sedation a papoose may still be used. You have to understand the papoose is not to punish the child but rather to deliver safe and effective treatment. It is to protect both the child and staff from physical harm. In some situations, you will find when the child realizes they are immobile and have no way to get out they actually will calm down. As for doing each cavity one at a time. I am certain if the pediatric dentist can safely do all three at the same time they will. But, it is possible that this pediatric dentist may feel short fast appointments are indicated. He or she has their best interest in mind. You may want to consider oral sedation though as it may make you as the parent more relaxed and comfortable as your child will likely not be as combative during treatment. I hope this helps.
#19 of 33 Old 08-14-2008, 10:55 AM

The problem with the papoose is that it doesn't protect the child from mental harm. And as parents our children's long term physical and mental health are of utmost importance. The papoose may be a means to an end for you, as someone that clearly works in the dental field but parents have much more to consider. And I resent your showing up here and trying to sell the papoose as some sort of benign technique.
#20 of 33 Old 08-14-2008, 12:04 PM

I second the fact aht the papoose does not protect the child from mental harm. Until you've seen your own child in a papoose please dont coment on them. The papoose is a way to hold the child against his or her will....more than likely if the child refuses to hold still or keep his or her mouth open a second device is used....a toth pillow....a device that hold the child mouth open against his or her will. i would never agree to the papoose never ever. My oldest child was placed in one when he was 5 and is now 14 and refuses to go to the dentist even still to this day. My 3rd child had cavities when he was 2 1/2 and i went to 5 different dentist till i found one to use versed and it worked great. Also when i took him in for a cleaning at 3 1/2 he was so great witht he dentist...open mouth the whole time...great. I think waiting till the child is older is much easier too. He even had a cavity filled when he was 3 1/2 and held his mouth open the whole time. Idealy i would wait..take child to the dentist every 6 months for a check up and get him used to holding his mouth open and give the child a chance to gain trust in a good dentist. Good luck with everything.

Mami to fly-by-nursing2.gifds 4 wks, ds 2yo, ds 6yo, dd 11yo, ds 17 yo. novaxnoIRC.gifwaterbirth.jpg
#21 of 33 Old 08-14-2008, 02:09 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Calla, you need to find another dentist! It has been my experience that some dentists are very gifted with young children. If a child is freaking during the exam, then it is not a good fit. My kids are quite intense yet we have been able to find 2 dental professionals who are great with them. Other parents have experienced the same with these professionals.
Quote:
The problem with the papoose is that it doesn't protect the child from mental harm. And as parents our children's long term physical and mental health are of utmost importance. The papoose may be a means to an end for you, as someone that clearly works in the dental field but parents have much more to consider. And I resent your showing up here and trying to sell the papoose as some sort of benign technique.
FWIW, I want to extend a big welcome to dental professionals in this subforum . I have learned a lot from dental professionals who have been brave enough to post in forums and yahoogroups -- even though they tend to get a lot of flack. It's a chance for me to learn why they do what they do -- even if I disagree with it. IMO, parents would be wise to ask questions and raise concerns without making it personal .

In kiddie's defense, the papoose is just a tool. I think that for some children, the sensory experience of being restrained might actually calm them down. I think the problem is that the papoose is often used to perform procedures against a child's will, possibly when the child is terrified. This seems like torture to me. OTOH, the dentist is in a difficult position when a parent wants dental treatment and refuses GA for a young child. Does the dentist risk causing serious harm to a resisting child with dental tools? I cannot imagine being asked to drill into a child's mouth while they are resisting when I have problems even brushing my child's teeth -- and I'm the parent. They are in a difficult position IMO. Some of the oral sedation methods are risky -- for example chloral hydrate in the dentist's office (more risky than GA IMO). Nitrous oxide would probably work on some children, but not the more intense, strong-willed types who need more work.

I am thrilled that we don't have to make these choices. I did not feel comfortable with GA or oral sedation or the papoose. I am really thilled that my plan to arrest dd's decay and remineralize is working. If dd develops an abcess or our strategy stops working, we will probably go the GA route.

sharing life with | 10 yo ds | 8 yo dd | dh (since 2012)
"I am not what happened to me...I am what I choose to become." ~ Carl Jung
#22 of 33 Old 08-14-2008, 02:44 PM

It doesn't surprise me about the concern some over the papoose. Let me clarify. I was not selling the papoose as a benign technique but rather a choice, period. If the child has cavities and the parents may not want to sedate or place the child under general anesthesia then the papoose is an option. You missed my entire point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamato3wild ponnie View Post
Until you've seen your own child in a papoose please dont coment on them.
Furthermore, I have used a papoose on my own child so to this poster that says for me to not comment on it without having done it on my own child, I have just earned my keep thank you.
#23 of 33 Old 08-14-2008, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksenia View Post
Calla, you need to find another dentist! It has been my experience that some dentists are very gifted with young children. If a child is freaking during the exam, then it is not a good fit. My kids are quite intense yet we have been able to find 2 dental professionals who are great with them. Other parents have experienced the same with these professionals.FWIW, I want to extend a big welcome to dental professionals in this subforum . I have learned a lot from dental professionals who have been brave enough to post in forums and yahoogroups -- even though they tend to get a lot of flack. It's a chance for me to learn why they do what they do -- even if I disagree with it. IMO, parents would be wise to ask questions and raise concerns without making it personal .

In kiddie's defense, the papoose is just a tool. I think that for some children, the sensory experience of being restrained might actually calm them down. I think the problem is that the papoose is often used to perform procedures against a child's will, possibly when the child is terrified. This seems like torture to me. OTOH, the dentist is in a difficult position when a parent wants dental treatment and refuses GA for a young child. Does the dentist risk causing serious harm to a resisting child with dental tools? I cannot imagine being asked to drill into a child's mouth while they are resisting when I have problems even brushing my child's teeth -- and I'm the parent. They are in a difficult position IMO. Some of the oral sedation methods are risky -- for example chloral hydrate in the dentist's office (more risky than GA IMO). Nitrous oxide would probably work on some children, but not the more intense, strong-willed types who need more work.

I am thrilled that we don't have to make these choices. I did not feel comfortable with GA or oral sedation or the papoose. I am really thilled that my plan to arrest dd's decay and remineralize is working. If dd develops an abcess or our strategy stops working, we will probably go the GA route.
I do appreciate your post as some of the responses were just as you described.

You hit the nail on the head and I appreciate you correctly interpreting where I was coming from.

The papoose is a very touchy subject for some and that is understandable. However, to make those that use it as evildoers is simply not right.
#24 of 33 Old 08-15-2008, 06:40 PM

Calla, have you had the work done yet?

If you haven't, do keep looking for a dentist. We saw 3 in total for my son, and the differences were wild. We finally went with a ped dentist who works in a practice where they are known to sing children through fillings.

My son had a big cavity filled with absolutely no medications. Being able to watch Finding Nemo on the TV in the ceiling was enough for him. He also was laying with most of his body on my hubby's lap, with his head and upper back on the dentist's lap, rather than forcing him to be all by himself on the table.

He also had to have two teeth extracted; they grew in yellow, turned brown, and started disintegrating. The dentist used a tiny bit of lidocaine and pulled them within seconds, again, while DS watched Finding Nemo. But this was his third visit and he was brave enough to get up on the table that time!

This guy is really great; he is more interested in keeping an eye on things than jumping at every little thing.

Whereas the second guy was ready to fill every tiny thing he found (our guy has now been watching those same things for 1.5 years and they haven't changed), and he insisted on GA in the office, coordinating with our medical insurance to get the anesthesiologist to the dentist's office along with a nurse AND we woudln't be allowed back with him. Was planning on pulling the two teeth along with two others b/c of the cavity that was filled by our guy with no problems and no anesthesia of any kind. That would have meant DS would be missing his top center four teeth, from the age of 2. This guy also had a very fancy, lovely office.

The dentist we chose has a nice little office with TONS of toys, but they are all crammed together b/c the office is much smaller than the other guy's. Oh, and the guy who insisted on GA and all that...he made all these diagnoses with even taking an xray.

If you haven't had the work done, keep looking.
#25 of 33 Old 08-23-2008, 04:59 AM

Just seeing the picture of a child in a papoose made me want to cry.
And the idea of taking care of a child's cavities without anesthesia didn't help.
I dont think its just me that finds it incredibly painful?
There is no way I would have my daughter go through that without some kind of anesthesia.

I'm just curious if mama's not wanting sedatives/anesthesia for their children have had the same type of work done anesthesia free?

Mama to Belly(5), homesteading in the desert with our chickens and sheep. Fish nerd, really into my reef tank. Baby due Sep 3rd!

#26 of 33 Old 08-23-2008, 05:12 AM

My son is papposed at every dentists visit. It is the best for his mental health and physical health, him fighting, kicking, screaming and ripping dentistry tools and harming himself would be a whole lot more traumatic for him. I have no qualms with the papoose board since I have to restrain my son daily as it is for other reasons and to brush his teeth. Yes it can be misused, but with a gentle caring dentist, which the op's sounds like since she wants to split the visits up to keep them short, they can be helpful.
#27 of 33 Old 10-12-2008, 02:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Thank you. It is way too mentally tramatic for my son to go through with. We have not yet do the fillings, but I did make an appt for the 28th of October. We're going to try the Versed an hour before the appt. to see what it does to him, if he's okay on it, I will take him. I tried 2 other dentists in the area who specialize in children, but this one was the best (cough) that I could find. Thanks for all of your help and imput everyone, I'll let you know how it turns out. BTW, I had no idea that these latest posts were here, sorry.

Poor kid, he's gonna flip.

#28 of 33 Old 10-13-2008, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Calla~ View Post
We're going to try the Versed an hour before the appt. to see what it does to him, if he's okay on it, I will take him.
I wouldn't do versed in an office setting. It can cause respiratory depression and respiratory arrest, especially when used for sedation in noncritical care settings. And do NOT give it without emergency equipment available, like in your home. http://psyweb.com/Drughtm/jsp/versed.jsp

See the files section of Very Young Kids Teeth about in office dental sedation risks. I'd definitely do general anesthesia (in the hospital) before that. Although insurance probably would not agree that it is "medically indicated". I would not strap my child down unless it were a life threatening medical emergency.

Check at AP Doctor Referral: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/AP_Doc...guid=287472904

Alternative Kids Teeth: http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group...guid=287472904

Very Young Kids Teeth: http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group...guid=287472904
Sedation risk file: http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group...20Sedation%20/

There is plenty of time to allow your daughter to mature to a place of being cooperative and agreeable to having dental procedures done. Additionally, there are many natural alternatives to address cavities. Here is some info from the thread "Curing Cavities with Nutrition". It is about 2 years strong, and about 600 posts long. So, there is a lot of information. I haven't read all of it. http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=399989

Foods that heal teeth:

* Feed your child every meal a soup of blended greens or softly
cooked vegetables.
* Key Vegetables for soup:
* Kales (and lots of dark greens), Zucchini, Celery, Green Beans,
Potatoes
* Add copious amounts of seaweed when the broth is done and the
soup is cooler.
* Never discard the vegetable liquid, it contains numerous vitamins.
* Raw Grass Fed Butter
* Organic and raw yogurt, and kefir
* Raw Grass fed Goat and Cow Milk.
* Cod Liver Oil (must be taken with the raw butter)
* Lacto-Fermented Foods and Beverages to enhance digestion and
assimilation
* Finely mashed up proteins from - Eggs, Fish, Organ Meets, or
other meets (grass fed only please!)
* Bone broth such as fish or chicken soup broth
* Fresh or cooked fruits
* Soaked, and sprouted nuts finely ground
* Really Raw Honey (may be okay)
* Sprouted/ fermented grains, (only for children over 1.5 years)
* There are many herbs that can be cautiously used to provide
minerals to the teeth,
* These include Horsetail, lemon grass, red raspberry leaf,
nettle's, lemon balm.

Foods that remove minerals from body and cause tooth decay and general
depletion.

* Almost every kind of sugar, even organic, especially fruit juices
* Bread, wheat, cookies, crackers, cereals, grains, nuts, seeds, pasta's
* Peanut Butter
* Any processed baby food
* Soy or soy formula
* Pasteurized milk
* Dried Fruit
* Iodized salt � cheap processed salt.
* Non-organic animal products such as eggs, meat, chicken ect.

http://www.amazon.com/Cure-Tooth-Dec.../dp/1434810607
http://www.yourreturn.org/Articles/E...ries_Cured.htm

Healing Early Childhood Tooth Decay Naturally:
http://www.mothering.com/discussions/showthread.php?t=529174&highlight=foods+hea\
l+teeth

http://www.westonaprice.org/traditio...ry_wisdom.html
http://www.ppnf.org/catalog/ppnf/Articles/Rootcanal.htm

Let me know if you need more information.

Pat

I have a blog.
#29 of 33 Old 10-13-2008, 06:23 PM - Thread Starter

Wu Wei, you rock. Unfortunately, I would have to sedate and papoose my kid down just to get him to eat thise things.

I spoke to the dentist, they don't manufacture Versed anylonger, and she just wants to restrain him. Buh-bye. I'm so stressed about this.:

#30 of 33 Old 10-13-2008, 07:40 PM

My 6 yo son used Versed for oral sedation a month ago. He is very averse to any medical or dental work and Versed (along with a wonderful and kind dentist) allowed him to peaceably get his teeth fixed. He also used nitrous.

I am surprised the dentist is saying that Versed isn't made any more...I hope that you can find a dentist that works for you. We (my son and I) didn't like the pediatric dentists we saw and I just took him to my dentist.

It is so very stressful.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page